A cheap projector to hold me over - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 04-13-2013, 12:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm interested in finally replacing my old Hitachi Home1 which is crazy outdated and I hardly use because it really doesn't look as good as my 40" HD tv. I'm a little frustrated with the market right now... I have to go with LCD because I know I see rainbow artifacts constantly on DLP, but all the well priced projectors seem to be DLP. I'd like to get an 8350 but they just seem overpriced relative to how old they are. The refurbished might be a better deal, but I'd still rather see that drop at least a hundred bucks.

I've been trying to find some deals on older projectors on Ebay, but it's kinda tricky. Practically every one I look at has a replacement lamp installed and it's never mentioned where it came from, so I have to assume they're all Chinese knock-offs which I've read are unreliable and potentially damaging to the projector, so I'm trying to find ones that are either still on their first lamp or cheap enough that I could just get a new lamp, which is rough when my target price is about $400 (for a used projector).

What I'm looking for is something relatively flexible with good contrast and black levels. I intend to use it on a 6' indoor screen and a 10' outdoor screen, both light controlled. I'm thinking my target projector would be an Epson 720 for around $350-400. It's really hard to guess how good these older projectors are compared to newer ones though, as a very well reviewed projector from 5 years ago would likely get mediocre reviews today.

Any tips would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 04-15-2013, 04:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 39
I'd try to just save the cash till I could get one I can afford and keep. Throwing money into a "stopgap" pj doesn't seem to be the best idea to me?
post #3 of 12 Old 04-15-2013, 07:34 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnabq View Post

I'd try to just save the cash till I could get one I can afford and keep. Throwing money into a "stopgap" pj doesn't seem to be the best idea to me?

Part of me is leaning towards that idea, but I haven't heard of anything coming down the pipe that could compete with the 8350 and bring prices down. I wouldn't really mind spending around 1k for a new projector, but spending it on an entry level machine from 3 years ago just rubs me wrong.
post #4 of 12 Old 04-17-2013, 04:39 PM
AVS Special Member

For $975, and free shipping off amazon, did you consider the Benq 1070? That one might be an option if the placement can work in your setup, and it would be one you can keep for a while, and get the benefit of having a 3D pj. It's gotten some pretty good reviews, with "good bang for the buck".
post #5 of 12 Old 04-17-2013, 05:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corpsy View Post

Part of me is leaning towards that idea, but I haven't heard of anything coming down the pipe that could compete with the 8350 and bring prices down. I wouldn't really mind spending around 1k for a new projector, but spending it on an entry level machine from 3 years ago just rubs me wrong.

You will regret it. Keep saving for an lcos model.
post #6 of 12 Old 04-17-2013, 07:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 104
If you want to stay away from DLP projectors due to RBE, then beyond the Epson 8350 the only other new budget (but over $1K) 1080p models that come to mind are the Panasonic PT-AR100U (Review Here), selling for about $1300, or the even more expensive Epson 3250 (under $1500). Basically these are the entry level LCD 1080p projectors from these manufacturers. Perhaps you should consider a used, or 'B' Stock, Epson or Panasonic model. You might call the AVS Store (info HERE) to see if they have any low cost B Stock projectors in your price range and for used you may want to see what comes up in the AVS Forum Classified Ads (HERE) or as a last resort eBay.

As for DLP and RBE, if you have only seen DLP projectors with a 2X, 3X or 4X color wheels, then the 6X color wheel used in the Benq W1070 will probably have much less objectionable RBE than those previous DLP projectors you have seen.

As far as the performance from older 1080p projectors, the 4+ year old Epson 6500UB will compete very well against the 8350.

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
post #7 of 12 Old 04-18-2013, 07:19 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice. I'm reluctant to take my chances on a DLP, even with the faster wheel, just because of how constant the effect was on what I've seen in the past, and I'd hate to just order one to try and then have to return it.

I talked to one of the guys at AVS. He suggested I put my name on a mailing list for when they get JVC B-stocks in and I'm thinking that might be the way to go. It might cost me a bit more than 1k, but I think it's something I'd stay happy with in the longer term.
post #8 of 12 Old 04-18-2013, 08:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 22
You are thinking cheap , in first post, something to hold you over. Maybe think about a LG PA70G or some other LED PJ. Many of us picked them up for 399 on sale a while ago. Then in a few years get something else.
You wrote for indoor use it would only be 72 inch widescreen (6 foot screen), to 120 inch screen (10 foot outside), in dark environments.

The advantages of LED is 30,000 hours on unit compared to 2,000 hours for bulb if you went the JVC route and throwing away 300-400 dollars every 2,000 hours on bulb replacements (if you are lucky).

The LG pa70g comes with 2 year warranty, is small, portable, cheap, 6 watts of stereo speakers, 15,000:1 contrast ratio, 700 lumens. (Look at Redneck Geeks 41 minute YouTube video on it, and other videos on You tube.

You may or may not be sensitive to RBE effect on it, not many people report that problem with th pa70g, I don't notice it., so I don't know for you. But is your Rainbow Effect problem something you remember from the past , when tech level was in infancy or something you see on NEWER units?

I'm not saying you should buy an LED PJ, it might not work for you, but it is cheap with no worries about bulb replacement and would do a 72 inch screen in dark room or 120 inch in dark room. Something to research.

Now, if you are a videophile, maybe you need a JVC and 300 dollars every 2,000 hours is chicken feed , chump change, but for me, I'll take the LG PA70g at 399 dollars and enjoy 30,000 hours of watching , just like an HDTV. Also with LED PJ, you can turn it on and off anytime you want, can't do that with bulb based PJ. Every turn on and off of bulb uses 4 hours on bulb.

Quality Control on the LG LED's is something you might have to deal with, some early units had OUT OF BOX uniform focus issue, but , most people are reporting new build date units have better chance of getting focused unit. Just buy from place you can exchange or return without penalty.
post #9 of 12 Old 04-18-2013, 09:30 AM - Thread Starter

I went ahead with a deal in the classifieds here and am getting an Epson 8700 for $800 including a spare lamp. That should hold me over for at least 3 or 4 years going by my experience with my previous projector (watching movies and occasionally playing games), and it's a much better projector than I thought I'd be able to get. And while I certainly like the idea of a cheaper projector that lasts practically forever, I'd rather have something awesome occasionally than something OK all the time.

Thanks to everyone who responded!
post #10 of 12 Old 04-18-2013, 09:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Does the PJ have any warranty with it?
post #11 of 12 Old 04-18-2013, 10:23 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 202
I'll pipe in, 'cause I was the one who informed Corpsy about it...although it is not my own personal PJ.

It's a used unit, Gently used for HT purposes only. No Color banding, Dust blobs, or Color shading. Non-Smoking environment. Pre-Calibrated to a very light Gray, high contrast DIY screen surface.

No Warranty though, but it's available lumen output, high contrast specs, extreme flexibility in placement, and having a extra Epson-Lamp make it pretty much ideally suited for a budget conscious FP wannabe. wink.gif

But you can bet, the eventual future of Front Projection belongs to LED...and beyond that...Laser.

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"
post #12 of 12 Old 04-18-2013, 02:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Cool, hope you enjoy it till you can upgrade to a 4k pj.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 8350 , Benq W1070 1080p 3d Projector
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page