BenQ W1070 vs PT-AE8000 vs Epson 3020 for Home Theater - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 04-14-2013, 02:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am looking to spend $1000-25000 to replace my aging 720p sharp projector with a 1080p 3D capable one. 2D movies are my primary concern, but I need to be able to hook up a linux server via HDMI to the projector. I do not have any preference between LED and DLP.

The projector is going to be mounted 17' to 18' from a 60" by 72" screen. 2D movies are my primary concern, but I also want to make sure that lag is low enough that we can use it for video games. I was looking at the numbers and 18' seems to be on the edge of the envelope for the BenQ. Will the BenQ reach the screen adequately?

Would you recommend a Panny 8000 two and a half times over the BenQ for this and what about a Epson 3020?

Thanks,

Nils
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 04-14-2013, 05:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
If anyone who is going to watch it sees rainbows you're not going to want a DLP. It's totally jarring and takes me out of the immersion every time I see one. I've seen the 3020 and recommend it. Comes with 2 pair of 3D glasses also.
post #3 of 6 Old 04-14-2013, 06:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post

If anyone who is going to watch it sees rainbows you're not going to want a DLP. It's totally jarring and takes me out of the immersion every time I see one. I've seen the 3020 and recommend it. Comes with 2 pair of 3D glasses also.

Yes and no. I am very rainbow sensitive and almost returned my Optoma HD3300 due to this and I am glad I did not. After about 3-4 months, I became acclimated to the projector and very seldom notice the rainbows.

In my opinion, there is no substitute for a DLP projector. DLP provides something that cannot be had in LCD technology and especially 3D. There is a reason reviews often state something about "that DLP image" as it really does exist. As far as 3D goes, you cannot go wrong with a DLP projector as there is literally NO crosstalk, none.

I would look for a projector with a minimum 6X speed and give it a try.

Living the HT Dream...now in 4D.
post #4 of 6 Old 04-16-2013, 06:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Does one really want to take a chance that RBE will go away after some months. What about infrequent viewers? Have you seen a 3020? It's CR is 40,000 vs 10,000 for the 1070. Projector central rates it very highly. Virtually no crosstalk when I saw it and RF 3D glasses.
post #5 of 6 Old 04-16-2013, 07:52 PM

The Panasonic kinda blows the 3020 out of the water. For a better comparison I'd look at the 5020. From those you've listed I'd use the Panasonic. Lag times are lower than the Epson and the feature list is better.

For what it's worth I think the lag times are over rated. I really struggled with the Epson 5020 versus the Panasonic based on lag times. I went with the Epson because the light output was higher. Once I actually started playing the Epson I hardly noticed any lag. I'm currently playing Bioshock Infinite and I don't have any issues. The only caveat to this would be online play as I've heard people say there could be issues there.
post #6 of 6 Old 04-23-2013, 06:43 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingpin748 View Post

The Panasonic kinda blows the 3020 out of the water. For a better comparison I'd look at the 5020. From those you've listed I'd use the Panasonic. Lag times are lower than the Epson and the feature list is better.

For what it's worth I think the lag times are over rated. I really struggled with the Epson 5020 versus the Panasonic based on lag times. I went with the Epson because the light output was higher. Once I actually started playing the Epson I hardly noticed any lag. I'm currently playing Bioshock Infinite and I don't have any issues. The only caveat to this would be online play as I've heard people say there could be issues there.

Thank you for the feedback. I am definitely going to push for the Panny 8000.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Benq W1070 1080p 3d Projector , Panasonic Ptae8000u Hd Projector , Epson V11h501020 Powerlite Home Cinema 3020 2d And 3d Home Theater Projector
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page