Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 04-14-2013, 09:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Good evening folks.

I have the above stated hardware.
THe onkyo has 4 hdmi nputs and the output hdmi of course . projector is my out on the receiver. Problem is only a few items work, some dont. for example

1. CBL Sat - works great
2. DVD/BD - worked 1 time, once in a while i can get audio to work, but no video. One time it worked for all. then nothing.
3. VCR - have this one running as Apple TV. Never has worked. Although if i plug it directly in to HDMI 2 on the projector , it works. but not through receiver.
4. Nintendo wii u - works just fine as long as projector is fired up first.

Just totally random on what works what doesnt. ive reset my receiver, ive updated its firmware. I havent done anything to the projector.

Ive also tried plugging the cable from projector that normally goes to receiver, directly in to Apple tv, or bd/dvd and nothing.

I JUST built this house and moved in 2 weeks ago. Why would the HDMI work for cbl sat, and wii u, but not the other?

very vexxing. please help.
thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 04-15-2013, 06:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Since you first mentioned problems with the HDMI outputs on the Onkyo I suspected the AVR was the problem...but when you stated that a direct connection between the source and the projector produced no picture then the prime suspect became the HDMI cable you are using. What's the length of the cable and who is the manufacturer? If you haven't already try the Redmere HDMI cable sold by Monoprice to solve your problem.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #3 of 17 Old 04-18-2013, 08:56 PM - Thread Starter

so i dont think its the cable.
i went to a local store (that wired my house. i just built it) and he used a very high quality hdmi cable.
he gave me an $800 harmon kardon receiver to test that out. it works fine for ALL four components.
so i thought ok onkyo reciever is turds.
went and bought a new pioneer receiver (best buy price match made it cheap) and the EXACT thing happened again.
dtv and wii u worked, apple tv and bd player didnt.

so is harmon kardon using hdmi components in their boxes that pioneer and onkyo are not?

Either way this is stupid and im heading out tomorrow to buy a harmon kardon receiver.
post #4 of 17 Old 04-19-2013, 03:22 AM

I have a Pioneer receiver paired with the 100 connected with HDMI with no problems.
post #5 of 17 Old 04-19-2013, 07:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunginhawk View Post

so i dont think its the cable.

i went to a local store (that wired my house. i just built it) and he used a very high quality hdmi cable.
he gave me an $800 harmon kardon receiver to test that out. it works fine for ALL four components.
so i thought ok onkyo reciever is turds.
went and bought a new pioneer receiver (best buy price match made it cheap) and the EXACT thing happened again.
dtv and wii u worked, apple tv and bd player didnt.

so is harmon kardon using hdmi components in their boxes that pioneer and onkyo are not?

Either way this is stupid and im heading out tomorrow to buy a harmon kardon receiver.

If you remember your first post said:
Quote:
Ive also tried plugging the cable from projector that normally goes to receiver, directly in to Apple tv, or bd/dvd and nothing.

You haven't stated how long your HDMI cable is but I'm assuming it is greater than 40 feet. HDMI can be a very frustrating component in any home theater setup. It works or it doesn't work - often with no clues as to what the issue is or what the cure might be. Problems like yours are addressed in the HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World forum.

http://www.avsforum.com/f/168/hdmi-q-a-the-one-connector-world

I would have tried something like the Monoprice Redmere Ultra Slim Series High Performance HDMI 50 foot cable (~$58) to troubleshoot the problem. However i understand your reluctance to replace your existing HDMI which may or may not be possible if it's built into your walls.

Most (if not all) modern day AVR's use 5 volts of power to the HDMI outputs. At this point I have no idea why the Harmon Kardon works while the Pioneer and Onkyo do not. I own the Denon 2309CI and have never had any issues with a 45 foot run to my AR100U.

-G

post #6 of 17 Old 04-19-2013, 09:01 AM - Thread Starter

i dont know why either... problem is, i cant swap the HDMI... its run in the walls and ceiling..i just built the house. if i buy another and it doesnt work, i dont know WTF i am going to do.
post #7 of 17 Old 04-19-2013, 09:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunginhawk View Post

i dont know why either... problem is, i cant swap the HDMI... its run in the walls and ceiling..i just built the house. if i buy another and it doesnt work, i dont know WTF i am going to do.

My advice: post your setup problems in the link I provided. There are much more learned people there who can help narrow down the problem.

post #8 of 17 Old 04-22-2013, 05:52 AM - Thread Starter

So i bought a harmon, $400, no fix smile.gif

so i hooked up the demo harmon 3650 and it works... so while none of it makes sense, it works.. im just going to try to buy this demo receiver from him.
thanks all
post #9 of 17 Old 05-05-2013, 09:03 PM

I have the same exact problem with my Panasonic PT-ar100u. I have it mounted on the ceiling with hdmi running through ceiling to a closet - about 40 feet. From the closet I switch video through Yamaha rx-v671 receiver. My time warner cable box connected with hdmi will work fine BUT my Blu-ray and my apple tv will sometimes work and often times flicker on and off - it sounds like the projector is cycling between connected and not connected. So if I am watching apple tv all of a sudden the screen will do blue - and I can still hear the audio but no video.

I find it amazing that your cable works great as well - something must be going on with these units that people need to know about.

I have read a review on amazon mentioning the same issue and now I read this review. It is extremely frustrating. I have tested new cables, tested direct connections and I can't figure it out.
post #10 of 17 Old 05-06-2013, 07:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulj7272 View Post

I have the same exact problem with my Panasonic PT-ar100u. I have it mounted on the ceiling with hdmi running through ceiling to a closet - about 40 feet. From the closet I switch video through Yamaha rx-v671 receiver. My time warner cable box connected with hdmi will work fine BUT my Blu-ray and my apple tv will sometimes work and often times flicker on and off - it sounds like the projector is cycling between connected and not connected. So if I am watching apple tv all of a sudden the screen will do blue - and I can still hear the audio but no video.

I find it amazing that your cable works great as well - something must be going on with these units that people need to know about.

I have read a review on amazon mentioning the same issue and now I read this review. It is extremely frustrating. I have tested new cables, tested direct connections and I can't figure it out.

Are you saying that you have used a 6 foot HDMi cable from your Blu-ray player directly to the AR100U and it fails to produce a stable picture?

The OP's problem was with his AVR/setup...but mostly likely a lot to do with his cable length and quality.

Additionally the reason why your Time Warner cable box works with the projector sometimes (according to your Amazon review of the Yamaha AVR) is that the max resolution is 720p/1080i versus the 1080p resolution of your Blu-ray player and Apple TV. 1080p uses twice the data rate of 1080i/720p. End result - cable fail. You could try disabling the 36 bit Deep Color on your Blu-ray player but mostly likely your cable will still fail.

Here's a simple test - set the max resolution of your Blu-ray player to 480p and try playing a DVD. If you get a picture the problem is your HDMI cable. This is assuming you have the Yamaha set to pass-through the signal with no upscaling.

-

post #11 of 17 Old 05-06-2013, 12:36 PM

My cable run is 40 feet. Which cables do we need to use for a $1,300 projector? I though they were all the same.
post #12 of 17 Old 05-06-2013, 01:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

My cable run is 40 feet. Which cables do we need to use for a $1,300 projector? I though they were all the same.

Unfortunately no. In your situation I would try either the Monoprice 40ft Ultra Slim Series High Performance HDMI® Cable w/ RedMere® Technology.

Or the Monoprice 40ft Slim Series High Performance HDMI® Cable w/ RedMere® Technology.

If the HDMI cable doesn't work you're only out the cost of returning them.

post #13 of 17 Old 05-06-2013, 05:37 PM

So if I hook the monoprice cable from the projector to the Yamaha do I need the same monoprice cables coming into the receiver from the apple tv, cable box and Blu-ray? Obviously they would be shorter cables (like 4ft).

Thanks
post #14 of 17 Old 05-06-2013, 06:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So if I hook the monoprice cable from the projector to the Yamaha do I need the same monoprice cables coming into the receiver from the apple tv, cable box and Blu-ray? Obviously they would be shorter cables (like 4ft).

Thanks

Assuming the shorter HDMI cables are decent quality construction there is probably no need to replace them. The problem is most likely lies with your longest 40 foot HDMI cable.

Some time ago Home Theater Forum did an interview with Blue Jeans Cable company on the differences between a $17 and a $150 HDMI cable. It explains the strengths and weaknesses of any HDMI cable. It's about 30 minutes long but worth your time.

post #15 of 17 Old 05-06-2013, 08:45 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 52
I'll echo what Mr. G is saying here. HDMI cable issues are not easy to diagnose, and unlike the old cables of the past, one cable might work between two pieces of gear and that exact cable might not work between two other pieces of gear. It doesn't follow the same logic flow one would expect from "analog" cables of the past.

I agree that it is likely a cable issue.... as annoying as that is, due to cables in the wall, that is often the reality with HDMI...
post #16 of 17 Old 05-07-2013, 12:43 PM

I set my apple tv to 720p and it worked so I think Mr. G is right. I am going to order the recommended cables - now I have to rip open a ceiling and a few walls....frustrating. I will say it is amazing to watch the projector even at 720p on a 120" screen in your home versus in a movie theater.

Thank you for your help.
post #17 of 17 Old 05-08-2013, 07:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I set my apple tv to 720p and it worked so I think Mr. G is right. I am going to order the recommended cables - now I have to rip open a ceiling and a few walls....frustrating. I will say it is amazing to watch the projector even at 720p on a 120" screen in your home versus in a movie theater.

Thank you for your help.

This is good news and bad news. Sorry to hear this is going to require a tear down. My niece and her husband installed a new home theater in their basement several months ago and the electrician botched the job. I recommended and specified a PVC conduit run to carry the cables from AVR to projector and after the fact found out he had used a very small flexible conduit barely big enough to install one HDMI cable. So if they ever need to replace it they're out of luck and will also need to tear open their ceiling and wall.

Don't do anything until the Monoprice cable arrives and you've tested it to make sure it works with 1080p. It's a very thin cable so be careful installing it, no undue stress in pulling it into place (which is true of any HDMI cable). Some people would make do with 720p since the AR100U upscales all resolutions to 1080p. However like you I would want true 1080p.

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Onkyo Tx Nr509 5 1 Channel Network A V Receiver , Panasonic Pt Ar100u Lcd Projector
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page