Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPS13 View Post

Have you checked the EStar stuff?

http://www.amazon.com/EStar-America-ESG6000-RF-3D-Glasses/dp/B00D341DUQ

http://www.amazon.com/EStar-America-ESG6100-RF-3D-Starter/dp/B00D39AUCI/ref=pd_sim_e_1

Seems to get good reviews, and someone from EStar posts here occasionally. Can't beat that type of support.

I can personally vouch for these glasses and emitter for this projector. They work great and the modification to the cable was very easy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 1083 Old 01-18-2014, 10:22 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anyone have any experience with kids' 3D glasses? Right now I have the IR emitter and could go RF if I had to but I don't like the idea of splicing the cable. I saw some kids glasses on Amazon and it says it works with Mitsubishi TV's but not sure if it will work with the 7900. Any insight would be appreciated. These are the ones I saw that say they work with the TV's.

http://www.amazon.com/IR-Wireless-Bluetooth-Universal-Panasonic-Mitsubishi/dp/B009IJKCXO/ref=sr_1_cc_2?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1390069326&sr=1-2-catcorr&keywords=kids+3d+active+shutter+glasses+mitsubishi
post #273 of 1083 Old 01-18-2014, 10:50 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 28
The cable splicing seems pretty darn easy, and I even hate electrical stuff generally. Then again, I have built electrical harnesses for an entire engine bay before, so maybe I'm out of the norm.
post #274 of 1083 Old 01-18-2014, 12:18 PM

Liked: 12
Is the bundle with the glasses the same glasses that are really expensive mentioned earlier in the thread? Are these RF? If not could I use my monster vision glasses with an optoma RF emitter that I used with an older optoma gt 750?
post #275 of 1083 Old 01-18-2014, 02:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 58
stopped by my brother in laws house to help him set up screen and this pj. Problem is menu won't let him switch from computer input to hdmi 1 for a picture. Using brand new hdmi cable and PS3. why would pj ship with it in computer input? thanks in advance..

post #276 of 1083 Old 01-19-2014, 06:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxman48 View Post

stopped by my brother in laws house to help him set up screen and this pj. Problem is menu won't let him switch from computer input to hdmi 1 for a picture. Using brand new hdmi cable and PS3. why would pj ship with it in computer input? thanks in advance..

Just to clarify - are you saying that the input buttons on the remote control aren't allowing him to switch inputs?

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #277 of 1083 Old 01-19-2014, 07:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Yes that's correct, the input shows computer..We also are having trouble getting a picture on the screen. PJ will be shelf mounted, but it seems that we have to go lower than we have shelf. I am reading manual now, told him to call the company direct. Didn't think the PJ would be such a problem, set up screen to ceiling, wired trigger wire, then put BD in and noticed on menu that the input is computer..

post #278 of 1083 Old 01-19-2014, 07:50 AM
Advanced Member

I looked through the manual and it seems that hitting the left/right buttons on the projector body change the inputs. Look at the manual.
post #279 of 1083 Old 01-19-2014, 07:31 PM

Liked: 11
My 6+ year old trusty Mitsi HD1000 gave up the ghost today. Went to watch the NFL playoff games and only got the dreaded flashing red / green light that means the death knell according to the owners manual and what I could find on the internet.

I had noticed the great deals on the HC7900 since Mitsubishi announced they are leaving the market and since I have had such a good exerpience with my HD1000 the prospect of getting a $2,500 projector for under a grand was too tempting to ignore given what happened today.

A whirlwind few hours of speed reading on the internet further convinced me to go ahead and pull the trigger today. I could have gotten the projector only for $799 at BH Photo Video with free shipping and no tax but opted to pay $100 more and get it from Tiger Direct for $899 with the emitter and a pair of 3D glasses.

In reading of a couple of posters having problems with intermittent loss of signal I am wondering if perhaps they are using either older HDMI cables or higher gauge ones? I have heavy duty CL2 rated HDMI cable running from my ceiling mount through the walls but worry because it is 6+ years old and I believe the original incarnation of HDMI. I have never had a problem with it but of course my HD1000 was a 720p 2D projector and now I will have 1080p and 3D capability. For that reason I just ordered a new 25 foot CL2 rated 22 AWG High Speed HDMI cable from Monoprice.

I have a dedicated home theater with total lighting control and a smallish screen (92") due to the pitch of the roof (my home theater is the room above my garage) so I don't anticipate any problem with the projector not being bright enough. Particularly since it is rated at 1500 lumens which is the same as my HD1000 it is replacing.
post #280 of 1083 Old 01-19-2014, 08:26 PM

I could use some help with the projector calculator. I currently have an Optoma HD70 projecting onto a Panoview Gray wolf II 92" screen. My ceiling is 94.75 " tall and the lens center is 7" down from ceiling ( 5" drop on the mount) and 143" from lens to the screen (straight shot). The projector is at the back of the room and I can't move the screen either. The bottom of the projected image is 27" and the top of the image is 24" down from the ceiling. My viewing distance (my head to the screen) is about 11 feet so I sit almost directly below the projector. Will the lens shift and offset of the HC7900dw work within the confines of my current setup? Also, what mount are people using with this projector?

Thanks for your help. :-)
post #281 of 1083 Old 01-20-2014, 04:31 AM
Advanced Member

Mitsubishi's projector calculator is somewhat buggy, and it doesn't update all the time when you change some variables. Just use the manual (pg 10) and some old fashion math.

But basically, for a 90" screen, the lens offset can vary between ~9-21" above the top of the screen. Given that you've got yours setup for ~17" of drop, you're right in there with a bit of room to spare. The centerpoint of the lens shift is 15" of offset, so you're pretty much dead center. The zoom will easily take care of you, which for a 90" screen can go out to 162" from the screen, so maybe ~167" for your 92". It's probably about 111" as the shortest distance for a 92" diag image.

So you're on easy street positioning this. It actually has quite a bit of lens shift, so even if you zoom out a bit for a smaller image you have a quite a bit of leeway to make it center up (which I was planning to maybe do on my 110" if 3D is a bit dim).
post #282 of 1083 Old 01-20-2014, 08:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by notlad View Post

My 6+ year old trusty Mitsi HD1000 gave up the ghost today. Went to watch the NFL playoff games and only got the dreaded flashing red / green light that means the death knell according to the owners manual and what I could find on the internet.

I had noticed the great deals on the HC7900 since Mitsubishi announced they are leaving the market and since I have had such a good exerpience with my HD1000 the prospect of getting a $2,500 projector for under a grand was too tempting to ignore given what happened today.

A whirlwind few hours of speed reading on the internet further convinced me to go ahead and pull the trigger today. I could have gotten the projector only for $799 at BH Photo Video with free shipping and no tax but opted to pay $100 more and get it from Tiger Direct for $899 with the emitter and a pair of 3D glasses.

In reading of a couple of posters having problems with intermittent loss of signal I am wondering if perhaps they are using either older HDMI cables or higher gauge ones? I have heavy duty CL2 rated HDMI cable running from my ceiling mount through the walls but worry because it is 6+ years old and I believe the original incarnation of HDMI. I have never had a problem with it but of course my HD1000 was a 720p 2D projector and now I will have 1080p and 3D capability. For that reason I just ordered a new 25 foot CL2 rated 22 AWG High Speed HDMI cable from Monoprice.

I have a dedicated home theater with total lighting control and a smallish screen (92") due to the pitch of the roof (my home theater is the room above my garage) so I don't anticipate any problem with the projector not being bright enough. Particularly since it is rated at 1500 lumens which is the same as my HD1000 it is replacing.

If you're referring to my posts, my problem isn't signal loss, something in the signal seems to be triggering the projector to suddenly flick off, infrequently. As part of my troubleshooting I did check into getting new HDMI cables though. But after calling Bettercables, they told me that the cables I last bought from them, around 5-6 years ago, were all high speed HDMI and still the best they sell, aside from the locking connectors they now use on some models. If your previous cables are high speed too, and undamaged, there shouldn't be any need to replace them, just for 3D.

Chad Varnadore <><
ex-armchair quarterback
Our HT
post #283 of 1083 Old 01-20-2014, 11:16 AM

Quote:

Mitsubishi's projector calculator is somewhat buggy, and it doesn't update all the time when you change some variables. Just use the manual (pg 10) and some old fashion math.

But basically, for a 90" screen, the lens offset can vary between ~9-21" above the top of the screen. Given that you've got yours setup for ~17" of drop, you're right in there with a bit of room to spare. The centerpoint of the lens shift is 15" of offset, so you're pretty much dead center. The zoom will easily take care of you, which for a 90" screen can go out to 162" from the screen, so maybe ~167" for your 92". It's probably about 111" as the shortest distance for a 92" diag image.

So you're on easy street positioning this. It actually has quite a bit of lens shift, so even if you zoom out a bit for a smaller image you have a quite a bit of leeway to make it center up (which I was planning to maybe do on my 110" if 3D is a bit dim).

Thanks for the info. If I understand this correctly I should be okay if I'm able to place the 7900's lens center at the same location as now. If I were to use a 5-inch drop mount ( Which I have now but I can't use the same mount as its for the Optoma specifically ), where would that place the lens center? I know the 7900 is physically bigger/heavier but what is the distance from lens center to where it would attach to the mount?

Also, since I will need a new mount, can someone recommend a sturdy, adjustable, and economical mount for this projector? I'd like to order it when I order the projector. smile.gif

Is there a link to the 7900 manual so I can look at the setup instructions ahead of time?
post #284 of 1083 Old 01-20-2014, 01:02 PM
Advanced Member

http://www.mitsubishielectric.com/bu/projectors/downloads/pdf/hc7900dw/hc7900dw_manual.pdf

You should be good to go placing it right there. From the manual it's about 92 mm from the mount surface to the CL of the lens, which is about 3.6".
post #285 of 1083 Old 01-20-2014, 01:11 PM
Advanced Member

BTW - I've got a choice of where to put the projector. I'm going to run a 2x8 at a minimum between the ceiling joists and make the mount screw into that for more stability. Which would you guys do for a 110" screen, which the HC7900 can throw from 133-198":

1. About 145" away. Pretty close to max zoom out (133" closest it can be). Only issue is there is a light that's going to be dangerously close to interfering with the projector if I use my existing mount with no drop tube. Pro - slightly brighter Con - closer to watching position (~110-120" away from screen, about 5' below projector), should clear light, but might interfere and require a small spacer (it's tight)

2. About 160" away (between the next two studs). Pro - Projector pretty far away from watching area, easy to miss light due to more image drop before it gets there Con - will lose some brightness
post #286 of 1083 Old 01-20-2014, 02:56 PM
AVS Special Member

RPS13: thanks for the help, used the buttons on the body to change input..I also would like to know if this mount is good for the pj:

http://www.elitescreens.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1252&catid=41&Itemid=167&lang=en

post #287 of 1083 Old 01-20-2014, 05:11 PM
Advanced Member

NP, that looks the same as this monoprice mount rotated 90 degrees at the end.

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=109&cp_id=10911&cs_id=1091102&p_id=5466&seq=1&format=2

I've been using it on my LG PA70G just fine. I plan on using it on my HC7900DW. I'll let ya know later this week if I can get all the bolts in with the mount arms.
post #288 of 1083 Old 01-21-2014, 12:19 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I finally gotten the RF emitter to work with the modded cable. I am using the Estar kit bought from Amazon.

I can use the Mitsubishi IR emitter with the Estar RF emitter concurrently but will unplug it because there is remote signal interferences. I will plug it in when I have big movie viewing nights which I will deployed my super value PS3 glasses. biggrin.gif
A L Wong likes this.
post #289 of 1083 Old 01-21-2014, 12:31 AM

Liked: 13
I have a 120" 16:9 screen and wish I could be at 144" from screen since that is the minimum/shortest throw and therefore would give brightest image. Not that my image from 166" away is dim, I'm just a little on the anal side and wanted the best possible picture. I would go as close as you can. I never hear the projector whether using normal or low bulb and never notice it for any reason.
post #290 of 1083 Old 01-21-2014, 10:47 AM
Advanced Member

Yea, I'm leaning towards going a bit closer. I looked at it again, and think I can get roughly 14-15" away from the light which will probably give me enough throw down to make it not a worry. I guess the only way to really know is to put everything together and hold it up there and see though.
post #291 of 1083 Old 01-22-2014, 05:20 AM
Advanced Member

Got the projector up and going last night, one word - WOW! I've had my LG PA70G installed in my room for a while, so the projector experience is not new to me, nor is experiencing a nice projector, but the HC7900DW really exceeded my expectations and then some.

I booted up into my XBMC welcome screen and it was something I've seen a million times before, but it blew me away how sharp and clear it was. I sat back and watched some of Avatar in 1080P and it was clearer and more detailed than I can ever remember, even in the theater when it came out.

Setup was super easy compared to getting my PA70G with no zoom (not to mention no lens shift) setup. I think the lens ended up being about 150" away from the screen, but otherwise it'd be right underneath/very close to the light fixture which is right there, so I think I choose the right place to install it based on my room. I must have messed with my PA70G for 4-5 hours getting it setup right (lots of measuring and tweaking with my Monoprice mount), so I was a little shocked when I put it the HC7900DW up there and had it projecting an amazingly sharp and crisp picture in about 3 minutes after getting the top bracket secured to a set of 2x8's I put up in my attic.

Running in low lamp mode on a new lamp, 110" 1.2 gain screen the image is plenty bright enough for me in 2D. Even if it loses 30% of the lumens I still see low lamp being fine except during sports with some ambient light. I was pretty worried about the image brightness, but I've really got no complaints. The black levels are in a whole different league from the PA70G and then some, even with mild settings on the iris. CFI is cool to play with, and at low settings I think it brings out a lot of motion detail in movies without making it seem like a soap opera.

This thing is an absolute bargain for its current price. Totally pleased with my purchase. Now I get to do the RF 3D hack and experience some of that. biggrin.gif
post #292 of 1083 Old 01-22-2014, 07:58 AM

Congrats RPS13!

I have no doubt you will be blown away by 7900...I am sure you would agree that the talk about insufficient lumens is a non-event.
post #293 of 1083 Old 01-22-2014, 08:07 AM

Great job by Tiger Direct. I ordered my HC7900 on Sunday and received it Tuesday evening. I have not had time to really work on calibrating it yet but in my initial install ran into the issue of the Keystone function being greyed out and not accessible. What do I need to do to get to that function? Does some other function have to be changed for it to be accessible? I have a slight skew I want to correct with the keystone.
post #294 of 1083 Old 01-22-2014, 11:57 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:

Got the projector up and going last night, one word - WOW! I've had my LG PA70G installed in my room for a while, so the projector experience is not new to me, nor is experiencing a nice projector, but the HC7900DW really exceeded my expectations and then some.

I booted up into my XBMC welcome screen and it was something I've seen a million times before, but it blew me away how sharp and clear it was. I sat back and watched some of Avatar in 1080P and it was clearer and more detailed than I can ever remember, even in the theater when it came out.

Setup was super easy compared to getting my PA70G with no zoom (not to mention no lens shift) setup. I think the lens ended up being about 150" away from the screen, but otherwise it'd be right underneath/very close to the light fixture which is right there, so I think I choose the right place to install it based on my room. I must have messed with my PA70G for 4-5 hours getting it setup right (lots of measuring and tweaking with my Monoprice mount), so I was a little shocked when I put it the HC7900DW up there and had it projecting an amazingly sharp and crisp picture in about 3 minutes after getting the top bracket secured to a set of 2x8's I put up in my attic.

Running in low lamp mode on a new lamp, 110" 1.2 gain screen the image is plenty bright enough for me in 2D. Even if it loses 30% of the lumens I still see low lamp being fine except during sports with some ambient light. I was pretty worried about the image brightness, but I've really got no complaints. The black levels are in a whole different league from the PA70G and then some, even with mild settings on the iris. CFI is cool to play with, and at low settings I think it brings out a lot of motion detail in movies without making it seem like a soap opera.

This thing is an absolute bargain for its current price. Totally pleased with my purchase. Now I get to do the RF 3D hack and experience some of that. biggrin.gif
Quote:

Great job by Tiger Direct. I ordered my HC7900 on Sunday and received it Tuesday evening. I have not had time to really work on calibrating it yet but in my initial install ran into the issue of the Keystone function being greyed out and not accessible. What do I need to do to get to that function? Does some other function have to be changed for it to be accessible? I have a slight skew I want to correct with the keystone.

Great stuff. I hope the deals and stock hold out until the 8th of Feb (my birthday) where I will have sufficient funds to purchase. This projector is still $3500 here in New Zealand.
post #295 of 1083 Old 01-22-2014, 12:21 PM

In peoples personal opinion is there another projector out there at the moment that competes with this projector that is similar in price? Upwards of $500 more?
post #296 of 1083 Old 01-22-2014, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kopkiwi View Post

In peoples personal opinion is there another projector out there at the moment that competes with this projector that is similar in price? Upwards of $500 more?

I am guessing just about everybody will say "no". A year ago this was a $2500 projector. The only reason for the drastic price drop is Mitsi exiting the home theater projector market so it's pic is comparable to others in that price range. That is not to say there are not some great projectors in the $1000 price range out there that will come close in pic quality and actually exceed it in brightness. If I did not have a dedicated home theater with 100% light control I might look at something like the Benq 1070 for around a grand.
post #297 of 1083 Old 01-22-2014, 12:52 PM

Quote:

I am guessing just about everybody will say "no". A year ago this was a $2500 projector. The only reason for the drastic price drop is Mitsi exiting the home theater projector market so it's pic is comparable to others in that price range. That is not to say there are not some great projectors in the $1000 price range out there that will come close in pic quality and actually exceed it in brightness. If I did not have a dedicated home theater with 100% light control I might look at something like the Benq 1070 for around a grand.

Thought so. Art at projectorreviews is of the opinion, while not light cannon bright, it can still produce a great picture in a living room on a great screen if kept to nighttime use. Which is what I will be doing. Not light controlled but no windows hitting the wall directly and have built a little something to help reduce the light from the ceiling and side walls. Have a 65" Plasma that will be used for day time and none movie viewing.
post #298 of 1083 Old 01-22-2014, 12:55 PM

Quote:

NP, that looks the same as this monoprice mount rotated 90 degrees at the end.

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=109&cp_id=10911&cs_id=1091102&p_id=5466&seq=1&format=2

I've been using it on my LG PA70G just fine. I plan on using it on my HC7900DW. I'll let ya know later this week if I can get all the bolts in with the mount arms.

RPS13,
Can you comment on using that Monoprice mount with the 7900? Is it easy to adjust once the projector is hung? How about its ability to stay put once the weight of the projector is in play? I've got a simple mount right now that's holding my 5.6 lb Optoma HD70 so I'm a little nervous about hanging a projector that's twice as heavy.

Would that Elite mount mentioned a few posts up from yours be worth looking into? How do you think a wall mount (I'm already within 8 inches of the back wall now) would work with this heavy Mitsu 7900?

My 7900 arrives on Friday so I need to get a mount ordered now. smile.gif
post #299 of 1083 Old 01-22-2014, 12:56 PM

Liked: 29
In my opinion no. I'm still blown away by mine at the one month mark. It really does seem like it competes with the >$2000 models (Epson 5030, Benq W7x00...).
kopkiwi likes this.
post #300 of 1083 Old 01-22-2014, 01:14 PM

Fellow 7900 owners:

Anyone have experience with either of these mounts that I found using Google search:

http://www.projectormountstore.com/shop/product.php?id_product=102

or maybe this one:

http://www.amazon.com/PCMD-All-Metal-Projector-Mitsubishi-HC7900DW/dp/B00A1042NK/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1390424707&sr=1-3&keywords=ceiling+mount+for+Mitsubishi+hc7900dw

These are similar in design to the one I currently have for my Optoma HD70. I bought it on Ebay maybe 8 years ago and can't find from whom I purchased. mad.gif

My room is 13 feet deep and I'll have the projector mounted as far back as possible (with enough room for the HDMI cable connection) as there appears to be no rear vents on the 7900. Is that correct? My current mount drops the projector about 5 inches.

Thanks.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Mitsubishi Hc7900dw Home Theater 3d Projector , Mitsubishi Hc4000 300 Inch 1080p Front Projector
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page