Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 1128 Old 02-12-2014, 07:33 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Varnadore View Post

You'll have to find out what the colorwheel speed is in the BenQ. The Mits colorwheel is 6x with 1080p/24 and 4x with everything else. I've been told the 1070 is 3x and I've been told it's 6x. I don't know which is correct. If the BenQ's contrast is lower, even if both have the same wheel speeds, RBE may be more prevalent on the higher contrast projector.
Coming from two SXRDs and two DLPs before those, I would tend to agree that the Mits demonstrates the degree of clarity DLP is known for. But, I've heard others say they thought the BenQs looked sharper too. The most likely explanation I've seen given is that the BenQs use some sort of artificial sharpening that Mits doesn't. Which, from what I've been told, is becoming more of a trend in the FP arena. In fact it sounds like they're getting pretty good at it - probably engineering coming from the LCD industry.
i think the benq is 6* but you havent had both? my doubt was in the real use, if you ve seen more rb with the mits or benq...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 1128 Old 02-12-2014, 08:25 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
What do I need to watch 3d with this projector?

Is there a way to rip a 3d bluray to a HDD? Right now I use makemkv and watch them with VLC...

What PC programs are compatible with 3d?

What if I just used a 3d bluray player?
post #453 of 1128 Old 02-12-2014, 08:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve68 View Post

I have had the flicker problem, but ONLY when playing the xbox. When watching Blu Ray movies no flicker. The xbox 360 is an older version so the output is component. My AVR is also an older unit (Onkyo), so there might be something the conversion from component to HDMI through the AVR. I'm also not ruling out the HDMI cable. It IS high-speed, but it's also 25 feet. The one difference is that mine has never shut off. It only flickers off and back on for a second or two at most and then right back on. I'm looking at a new AVR, but haven't picked one out yet.

That's not the same problem, if your projector isn't actually cutting off. Sounds like it's just losing sync with the signal, which could be any number of things, all likely related to HDMI. It could be the 25' cable, the HDMI implementation in the AVR (check for a firmware update from the manufacturer); or it could be something as commonplace as a handshake issue, if it mostly seems to happen at layer changes, or making adjustments or switching that would cause the projector to need to re-establish sync with the source.

Chad Varnadore <><
ex-armchair quarterback

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #454 of 1128 Old 02-12-2014, 09:06 AM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishtank View Post

You will be fine if you can shorten the pipe a bit and/or have the ability to drop the screen.

I had to put my projector nearly as close to a 120" screen as I could to fill it and get around a pole in the basement. *I THINK* The top of my screen is only about 6-8" lower than my lens from about 11-12' feet back (ceiling mounted)

The offset is an angle... so the amount does increase a bit as you move the projector further away from the screen. If you download the manual you can get the exact measurements etc. from that if you want to be ready.

thanks..i have the pj/manual already at my bro's house.. picking it up sat, n hope to install on mon.. i'll report back comments...
post #455 of 1128 Old 02-12-2014, 01:53 PM

another (stupid??) question... since I have to shorten the pipe from the ceiling to the pj, is there an advantage or disadvantage to use the lens shift... thanks...
post #456 of 1128 Old 02-12-2014, 02:11 PM

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by paris401 View Post

another (stupid??) question... since I have to shorten the pipe from the ceiling to the pj, is there an advantage or disadvantage to use the lens shift... thanks...

Well you probably won't be able to use any lens shift in this case... as when you ceiling mount it the lens shift will only push the image down lower than the offset.... the only way to raise the image above the offset when you ceiling mount the projector is to tilt it. Your easiest install would be to remove the pipe, put the projector as flush to the ceiling as you can and then you can actually use the lens shift to push the image down if you need too.

In general the advice again is to not use offset but it really isn't as big of a deal. It depends on the quality of the lens and it's uniformity, extreme shifts can sometimes have a negative impact as the image gets pushed towards the edge's of the lens.... however your generally pretty safe within it's range of motion and I wouldn't be concerned if I needed to use it. This projector actually boasts a decent quality lens but I don't know much about it past that.

post #457 of 1128 Old 02-12-2014, 03:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitrzac View Post

What do I need to watch 3d with this projector?

Is there a way to rip a 3d bluray to a HDD? Right now I use makemkv and watch them with VLC...

What PC programs are compatible with 3d?

What if I just used a 3d bluray player?

Of course a 3D Blu Ray player is the best way. A cable/sat service that has Half SBS/TB service. A HTPC will play SBS/TB files with most media players they are watchable but only half resolution . To play full resolution 3D content from a HTPC you will need to purchase player software as in PowerDVD, no free software can decode 3D ISO's that I am aware of. Its against forum rules to talk about ripping copyrighted material , just Google it.

Smart enough to know better, to old to care
post #458 of 1128 Old 02-12-2014, 05:04 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I feel like an idiot as I just posted to the wrong thread by mistake (I'll try to delete that one)..... Anyways, I'll throw my initial thoughts on this projector in case anyone is on the fence about this very good deal that probably wont be available for to much longer.

I just received the HC7900 and I am very impressed. I'm moving from a Panasonic AX100U and I was concerned about the light output comments. The Mitsubishi is just as bright, if not brighter that the Panasonic on my 96" DW screen. It works well in my light controlled environment and even with the lights on, its not as bad as some would have you believe especially on a sub 100" screen. The picture is much crisper and the colors are awesome. It's also a little quieter my trusty AX100U. Lastly, the 3D is surprisingly very good even with non-3D content. However the one down side I did run into was that it is not as easy to mount as it only has 1.5x optical zoom, but no horizontal shift like the Panasonic had and has a much more limited vertical shift compare to the Panasonic. I was able to get it to work by mounting it a little closer to the ceiling and re-centering the mount. For the incredible price I paid at TigerDirect ($950- $100 rebate -$25 rebate) for the 3D bundle this is a steal and performs way better than any sub $2K projector has the right to perform.
post #459 of 1128 Old 02-13-2014, 02:56 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
im waiting for amazon to have the combo hc7900 with the 3d kit, but its 1/2 month delay...frown.gif
post #460 of 1128 Old 02-13-2014, 07:31 AM

Mine should be here today - got it from Co$!co. I'll have a good idea if it's a step up from my W1200. Two things I'm hoping for - smoother FI implementation ( I'm a fan! ) and better blacks.
Should have a good idea with some side/side testing. And if I don't feel it's much of an upgrade I can always return it.
Still can't figure out this offset/lens shift thing - I'm at 14 foot throw and about 18 inches from centre of the lens to top of screen. Hope it should be okay.
post #461 of 1128 Old 02-13-2014, 08:40 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rekbones View Post

Of course a 3D Blu Ray player is the best way. A cable/sat service that has Half SBS/TB service. A HTPC will play SBS/TB files with most media players they are watchable but only half resolution . To play full resolution 3D content from a HTPC you will need to purchase player software as in PowerDVD, no free software can decode 3D ISO's that I am aware of. Its against forum rules to talk about ripping copyrighted material , just Google it.

I get all of my blurays from the library...

If I got a 3d bluray player. What else do I need to buy? Is 3d synced to the projector or to the BD player?
post #462 of 1128 Old 02-13-2014, 09:56 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishtank View Post

You will be fine if you can shorten the pipe a bit and/or have the ability to drop the screen.

I had to put my projector nearly as close to a 120" screen as I could to fill it and get around a pole in the basement. *I THINK* The top of my screen is only about 6-8" lower than my lens from about 11-12' feet back (ceiling mounted)

The offset is an angle... so the amount does increase a bit as you move the projector further away from the screen. If you download the manual you can get the exact measurements etc. from that if you want to be ready.

Not necessarily true. It's a fixed distance based on the size of the projected image, NOT the distance away. The zoom changes everything, so it's based solely on the image size. If there was no zoom, you'd be correct.

So your placement flexibility is determined by the IMAGE SIZE. The manual clearly states how much offset there is and how much lens shift is available for a given image size.
post #463 of 1128 Old 02-13-2014, 09:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYMN View Post

Mine should be here today - got it from Co$!co. I'll have a good idea if it's a step up from my W1200. Two things I'm hoping for - smoother FI implementation ( I'm a fan! ) and better blacks.
Should have a good idea with some side/side testing. And if I don't feel it's much of an upgrade I can always return it.
Still can't figure out this offset/lens shift thing - I'm at 14 foot throw and about 18 inches from centre of the lens to top of screen. Hope it should be okay.

It's based on the image size - what image size are you projecting? Find that in the installation table in the manual, they give a "neutral lens shift" offset, then the amount up and down you can shift the image. Keep in mind they're rounding, so don't plan on going right up to the limit of what it says you can do.
post #464 of 1128 Old 02-13-2014, 10:29 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I'm coming from a Panasonic AE4000, planning to buy a MIT HC8000 because of a big discount, just worry on the 3D pictures the brightness is not enough for a light control room on a 110" white 1.1 gain screen?
Anyone from a 7900 or 8000 can give me a suggestion?
post #465 of 1128 Old 02-13-2014, 10:29 AM

It's a 106" screen. Thanks!
post #466 of 1128 Old 02-13-2014, 11:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwong888 View Post

I'm coming from a Panasonic AE4000, planning to buy a MIT HC8000 because of a big discount, just worry on the 3D pictures the brightness is not enough for a light control room on a 110" white 1.1 gain screen?
I

The 7900 is reported to be a bit brighter than the 8000; the 8000 has higher on/off contrast with a more versatile iris system. Frankly, of the five projectors I've owned over the years, the Mits is the brightest and by far the cheapest even at full SRP, so I'm finding it hard to relate with anyone making a fuss about it's brightness; it's hardly dim. This would have been considered a light canon six years ago, in the HT market. As I understand it 3D glasses soak up some lumens, but I can't imagine it being so much as to make that much of an impact. I put some passive 3D glasses on the other day, while watching Batman Returns, just to see how much better I might like going with a lower gain screen and thought it a subtle improvement, at least with that movie. I've got a Silverstar now, but this PJ is so bright, I'm tempted to try a white screen or a removable ND filter. The black diamonds sound intriguing, but my HT is completely light controlled and dark. I'm disinclined to buy another high end screen model, when blacks are as deep as they already are on the high gain Silverstar I have now. And considering the rate of advancement in HT tech makes such high end screens less and less ideal every passing year or two, at least in terms of contrast, a more neutral screen seems like the best long-term investment. Hopefully, I'll be able to qualify that further inside a month when I have 3D.

Chad Varnadore <><
ex-armchair quarterback

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #467 of 1128 Old 02-13-2014, 11:29 AM

And it's here! Nicely double boxed too! Can't wait for tonight!

AppleMark
post #468 of 1128 Old 02-13-2014, 11:37 AM
AVS Special Member

^^ Man, Costco smokes Newegg on their packaging. I was rather disappointed when mine arrived with nothing more than a label stuck to the manufacturer's box. But they did at least use FedEx home delivery, a better service than ground. Have fun getting to know your new toy!

Chad Varnadore <><
ex-armchair quarterback

post #469 of 1128 Old 02-13-2014, 12:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwong888 View Post

I have a 110" 1.2 gain screen (matte white) - and 3D is perfectly fine. I wouldn't mind if it was a hair brighter, but it always seems like active 3D is like that. I wouldn't go any bigger than 110", but 110" is perfectly fine for 3D (with the lamp in high mode, and using the 3D preset).
post #470 of 1128 Old 02-13-2014, 01:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYMN View Post

It's a 106" screen. Thanks!

Going from memory, at 110", it was about an 18" neutral offset and could get reduced down to a 10" offset. So you'd be about a 9.5" offset or so at lowest (but I wouldn't position the projector there, give yourself some wiggle room).

But again, verify in the manual. It's all right there in the installation section.
post #471 of 1128 Old 02-13-2014, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPS13 View Post

Going from memory, at 110", it was about an 18" neutral offset and could get reduced down to a 10" offset. So you'd be about a 9.5" offset or so at lowest (but I wouldn't position the projector there, give yourself some wiggle room). But again, verify in the manual. It's all right there in the installation section.

when u say 18'' offset, do u mean the distance from the center of lens to the top of the screen?? i'm still a bit confused.. thanks
post #472 of 1128 Old 02-13-2014, 04:09 PM

ARGH!  Did anyone else order the 3D bundle from TigerDirect?  I received mine yesterday and found two pairs of the wrong 3D glasses were in the box.  I received two of the Xpand Lite RF glasses, which very obviously will not work with the HC7900DW's IR 3D emitter (as well as having a completely different part number than what's indicated on the label on the outside of the box).  

What's making matters worse is I am stuck in a circle of blame with TD and Mitsubishi, with both telling me I need the other to correct the problem. :mad:  At first I thought it was TD's fault, but now I am starting to believe they're right, that Mits needs to correct things since it appears that TD received the bundle pre-packaged from Mits and did not bundle the items themselves.  TD can't swap out only the glasses, and I really don't want to get stuck in a runaround of having to return and re-order the entire bundle as they've suggested, especially since I run the risk of the same thing happening again. :(  I  guess I will just have to keep hounding Mits by phone to get what I need, or suck it up and resell the RF glasses to someone else and hope I recoup enough money to cover the cost of a couple pairs of the IR glasses.  What a pain.

As for the projector, it looks amazing. It is replacing a Panny PT-AE4000 that is going back to a friend I had been borrowing it from, and the colors and black levels look really great to me by comparison (although I already miss the awesome placement flexibility of the 4000).  I am the tiniest bit afraid I'm susceptible to rainbows, but I'm hoping I can learn to live with it and/or figure out the color wheel speed to minimize RBE.  This is the first PJ I've owned and I'm really excited!  I feel like I stole this thing, getting such a nice unit at a closeout price!

Anyway, just felt the need to tell my story - I am sure I'll be back with questions about setup and calibration once I get the HC7900DW ceiling-mounted and positioned just right. :) 

post #473 of 1128 Old 02-13-2014, 05:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicEricacy View Post

ARGH!  Did anyone else order the 3D bundle from TigerDirect?  I received mine yesterday and found two pairs of the wrong 3D glasses were in the box.  I received two of the Xpand Lite RF glasses, which very obviously will not work with the HC7900DW's IR 3D emitter (as well as having a completely different part number than what's indicated on the label on the outside of the box).  

What's making matters worse is I am stuck in a circle of blame with TD and Mitsubishi, with both telling me I need the other to correct the problem. mad.gif   At first I thought it was TD's fault, but now I am starting to believe they're right, that Mits needs to correct things since it appears that TD received the bundle pre-packaged from Mits and did not bundle the items themselves.  TD can't swap out only the glasses, and I really don't want to get stuck in a runaround of having to return and re-order the entire bundle as they've suggested, especially since I run the risk of the same thing happening again. frown.gif   I  guess I will just have to keep hounding Mits by phone to get what I need, or suck it up and resell the RF glasses to someone else and hope I recoup enough money to cover the cost of a couple pairs of the IR glasses.  What a pain.

As for the projector, it looks amazing. It is replacing a Panny PT-AE4000 that is going back to a friend I had been borrowing it from, and the colors and black levels look really great to me by comparison (although I already miss the awesome placement flexibility of the 4000).  I am the tiniest bit afraid I'm susceptible to rainbows, but I'm hoping I can learn to live with it and/or figure out the color wheel speed to minimize RBE.  This is the first PJ I've owned and I'm really excited!  I feel like I stole this thing, getting such a nice unit at a closeout price!

Anyway, just felt the need to tell my story - I am sure I'll be back with questions about setup and calibration once I get the HC7900DW ceiling-mounted and positioned just right. smile.gif  

I was thinking that the glasses they showed in the picture at TD weren't the same as the Mitsubishi glasses I've seen bundled with this projector elsewhere. The Xpand model actually looks much nicer. You might see if the RF to IR conversion mentioned earlier in this thread will work for those, if you don't feel like bothering with a return. The Mits glasses I've seen looked much more bulky with smaller optic windows. But, I'm still a bit confused. Does Mits make the Xpand glasses too? If they don't, how would they get inside the projector box without Mits being privy to it? If it was another box packaged with the Mits that should be on TD. Though, you might try contacting Xpand, since they make both IR and RF. It might be on them.

I really mis the placement flexibility of the Sony too, but not the performance. Don't worry about rainbows, that'll make you look for them, which will in turn make them worse. Even if you see them, you should give it a month or two; odds are your brain will acclimate. LCD and phosphor based technologies have their own brand of rainbows.

You did. biggrin.gif Seriously, you could have bought two at that price for less than I paid for mine, and I got the best deal I could find after a few months of looking. It's crazy these things have dropped so much. Though, it's a bit discouraging to think just how much markup they apparently have to be selling this cheap.

Chad Varnadore <><
ex-armchair quarterback

post #474 of 1128 Old 02-13-2014, 07:48 PM

Couple of quick observations - definitely not as bright as my W1200. And that has about 800hrs on it. How much brightness does a pj lose over time?
Also, just a tad less sharp. I'd rate my Benq a 10 for sure, and I have the sharpness almost at the lowest setting on it. I bumped the HC7900 from 0 to 1, but didn't like it any higher than that - too much 'ringing'.
Black levels are excellent for sure… but still, it just seems somewhat less 'punchy'.
No problems with set up - had plenty of wiggle room for placement.
Will compare more tomorrow.
post #475 of 1128 Old 02-13-2014, 09:51 PM

Just ordered from B&H, can't wait to get it installed!
post #476 of 1128 Old 02-14-2014, 04:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paris401 View Post

when u say 18'' offset, do u mean the distance from the center of lens to the top of the screen?? i'm still a bit confused.. thanks

Yes, that's what offset means.

If you guys just download the manual, there's a whole section on installation that graphically explains it very very nicely. READ THE MANUAL!!!!!!!!!
post #477 of 1128 Old 02-14-2014, 05:06 AM
Advanced Member

When you guys talk about sharpness, are you talking about native sharpness of each pixel being 100% sharp and clearly defined, or some artificial sharpening processing that tweaks the actual image?

My HC7900DW has pinpoint sharpness on all pixels, but that pinpoint sharpness means that it's really sensitive to placement errors. Being slightly off center really changes the projected distance from one side to the other. One side of my screen gets ever so slightly away from super sharp towards the edge, but I verified it's my placement being off about 1/8-1/4" from center. It's not worth it, or really feasible to change it up, as it's one of those "I can just barely barely see it from 2" away things."

So I'm just wondering what the sharpness talk really is. As mine has absolutely superb NATIVE sharpness. The built-in sharpness algorithm for the displayed image is pretty passive though, and I don't notice too much difference with it changed slight amounts.
post #478 of 1128 Old 02-14-2014, 06:18 AM

My W1200 doesn't have any extra sharpening features. The Mits is sharp don't get me wrong, but the Benq is just a touch sharper. I was thinking just now if it's possible that the extra brightness of the Benq makes it seem as though it's sharper. I'll compare again tonight.
post #479 of 1128 Old 02-14-2014, 09:24 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Mine arrived last night, fired her up and threw image directly on the basement wall which isn't in very good shape.  I will say this projector blew my expectations away.  For anyone wondering about brightness- at night time with all my basement lights on and lamp on low it is very watchable and awesome with lights off.. my basement windows still are not covered so I will update with my opinion of daytime viewing over the weekend.

I'm going to be building a diy screen, can anyone recommend a color or type of screen material good for this projector?  

post #480 of 1128 Old 02-14-2014, 12:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Varnadore View Post

Is yours flashing red/green when it happens like his? Or is it just flipping off suddenly and then going through a cooldown cycle 20-30 seconds later without any kind of error indicator (light sequence), like mine and others? The alternating red/green light is code for something wrong. Where if you're not getting an error indicator (see troubleshooting section in the manual for various indicators, like overheating, etc) Mits seems to think it's something in the HDMI signal causing it. Of course that can't be the case if you're using analog interconnects like TViewer.

My problem sounds like your problem except the green light flashes until the fan stops and the projector has completely shut down. If I hit the off button to shut it down I believe it would go through the exact same process but of course I didn't hit anything.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Mitsubishi Hc7900dw Home Theater 3d Projector , Mitsubishi Hc4000 300 Inch 1080p Front Projector
Gear in this thread - Hc4000 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page