Mitsubishi HC7900DW owner's thread - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 1128 Old 03-03-2014, 02:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
How good is Mitsubishi about warranty repair? I have been reading some horror stories. What if they pull out of electronics business altogether? Do I need to buy warranty for 3 to 4 years?
By the way, my order from Meijer has been cancelled because of the reason code: "Product Has Been Discontinued."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 1128 Old 03-03-2014, 10:36 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Hey projector peoples -

I got this device after I figured out that the Epson 2030 wouldn't work with my room geometry - needed a projector with big offset (and lens shift) to mount on my ceiling.

So - mostly I'm happy with the swap, the Mits is much quieter, and has nice black levels. But, I do have an issue with jittery horizontal panning - tried to watch The Hobbit from HBO, and the intro scene with the map, it's very hard to watch, not smooth at all. I tried 720p and 1080i from the DirecTV Genie DVR, and Cinema and Video modes with the projector, no improvement. The projector Advanced Image menu, the Frame Rate Conversion settings are grayed out, so I'm stumped. Any advice?

Thanks,
Matt

"It's an invention, and it makes Non-Stop Rocking possible!"
post #633 of 1128 Old 03-04-2014, 01:26 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrig View Post

Hey projector peoples -

I got this device after I figured out that the Epson 2030 wouldn't work with my room geometry - needed a projector with big offset (and lens shift) to mount on my ceiling.

So - mostly I'm happy with the swap, the Mits is much quieter, and has nice black levels. But, I do have an issue with jittery horizontal panning - tried to watch The Hobbit from HBO, and the intro scene with the map, it's very hard to watch, not smooth at all. I tried 720p and 1080i from the DirecTV Genie DVR, and Cinema and Video modes with the projector, no improvement. The projector Advanced Image menu, the Frame Rate Conversion settings are grayed out, so I'm stumped. Any advice?

Thanks,
Matt

i got th same proplem even changing the FRC will not help ..
u could see some sports match and u will notice this more ..
hope someone will help cause im feeling sorry to buy this projector and i wish i stayed with my LG PA72
post #634 of 1128 Old 03-04-2014, 02:30 AM

Liked: 12

Anyone having issues displaying 1080p signals via HDMI? I hooked up my laptop and the resolution comes up just fine and it all works except it smashes the image into a squareish shape and has black on both sides. I tried messing with lots of settings, but couldn't get it figured out.

EDIT: Oops! I said HDMI but I meant VGA.

post #635 of 1128 Old 03-04-2014, 05:54 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Does anyone have a link to the generic RF adapter everyone talks about?
post #636 of 1128 Old 03-04-2014, 06:44 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabthenab View Post

hope someone will help cause im feeling sorry to buy this projector and i wish i stayed with my LG PA72

Actually I'm shocked at how smooth this projector is over my epson 8350. I consider it the one biggest upgrades, I haven't seen breakup or any jitter whatsoever.

So far I've probably got 3-400 hrs on this thing in a month and I only like it more... mine's running rock solid so far anyhow.

I don't have a ton of great advice unfortunately....

Despite what people say HDMI cables can cause "sparkle" - If you wanted to test I would get my source within 6' of the projector and use a different shorter cable directly into the projector if it get's better then you can look at cabling or possibly an AVR if you're using it.

If the problem persists then you should start looking at the settings between the device and the projector, turn off scaling and processing where possible, for example use game mode on the projector and make sure the source is outputting a native resolution/refresh the projector accepts and doesn't need to touch.

honestly I don't use a cable-box which is generally where the bulk of complaints come from in anyone's setup... so I'm not entirely familiar with the options you would have.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftypete View Post

Anyone having issues displaying 1080p signals via HDMI? I hooked up my laptop and the resolution comes up just fine and it all works except it smashes the image into a squareish shape and has black on both sides. I tried messing with lots of settings, but couldn't get it figured out.

Sounds like you have the setttings enabled for an Anamorphic lens...

post #637 of 1128 Old 03-04-2014, 06:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 190

For those having "panning issues" with the projector I would recommend...

• Set the source device to native output. If the channel is 1080i set it to 1080i. If the channel is 720p set it to 720p, etc.
  • Connect the source directly to the projector (bypass AV receiver, etc).
  • Set Fame Rate Conversion to Off

While playing your source view the projector's Menu Info page to ensure the projector is receiving the channel's native resolution. If it's not dig into the source device menus... if it is and you still aren't happy with the result if possible connect another source to the projector that will display the same resolution. If you still aren't happy with both send the projector back. :)

If everything looks OK add the AV receiver back to the chain and set it to pass through or native. Again while displaying the source check to see if the projector is receiving the channel's native resolution.  If not, dig into the AV receiver's menu.

Now the above may not be optimal for your installation but overall it should look fine. As in more than acceptable. Of course you can experiment with the source, AV receiver, and other devices by having them doing any required upscaling or interlacing. In most cases the differences should be minor. 

| 
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
post #638 of 1128 Old 03-04-2014, 07:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by kosha View Post

How good is Mitsubishi about warranty repair? I have been reading some horror stories. What if they pull out of electronics business altogether? Do I need to buy warranty for 3 to 4 years?
By the way, my order from Meijer has been cancelled because of the reason code: "Product Has Been Discontinued."

I know from talking with service techs in the past that some centers don't like Mitsubishi's coverage, complaining that Mits would cover the parts but the servicer would have to eat their labor costs on warranty work. But I've never known Mits to not take care of their customers. I also don't see any reason to worry they might get out of electronics altogether. If you buy an extended warranty through newegg, like I did, I was told the warranty promises to fix or replace with a suitable alternative, if the device can't be repaired.
Quote:

Hey projector peoples -

Thanks,
Matt

I think frame interpolation may only be available with 24p signals, which wouldn't apply to broadcast. It should probably only be used with a high quality, relatively low compression source like BD anyway. I'd hate to see what it might do with heavily compressed broadcast signals.

I don't know what you might be coming from, another FP or something smaller. A lot of people don't notice film judder on smaller screens, but when they switch to FP, it becomes more obvious. 60p should be smoother than 24p, but more blurred. 24p should be somewhat clearer, but jerky. 24p with frame interpolation will be somewhat clearer and smoother. That said, it sounds like there may be some processing going on somewhere that's deteriorating the image. I don't believe our DirecTV STB converts 1080i to 1080p, so it might be the deinterlacing in the Mits that's at fault. Which, based on my viewing of Sherlock seasons 1 and 2 on BD, may not do a very good job with 1080i signals, as I saw a lot of combing with that show - assuming it wasn't the PS3 that was at fault (off the top of my head I don't remember what the PS3 is doing).

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabthenab View Post

When fed an optimally formated signal the Mits will display it as good as any within this price range. However, it's not uncommon for projectors even at much higher price points to not have very good deinterlacing and scaling built in. If you've exhausted all posibilities by tinkering with the various display settings in your pj, source device and any component in between, trying to make sure you're isolating the processing to one device at a time, as to avoid duplicate processing, if none of the projector settings help, and you can't get a better job of converting 720p/1080i to 1080p from the source device either, an external processor or AVR with a good processor built in is probably your only option. But, again, it's very difficult to diagnose exactly what your problem is without being there. It may be something extremely simple, or it might be something that can't be corrected without better source components, which broadcast devices like DirecTV, cable, and OTA are borderline so terrible, I'd often rather watch 480i dvd than their HD transmissions with large FP systems. Broadcasters cater their compression to the very most they can get away with on small 40" TVs. If you're watching BDs and PS3 gaming, FP offers an amazing experience. With most broadcast sources, you'll benefit more from a device like some AVRs or an Oppo 103 which support solutions from HQV, Qdeo, Anchor Bay, designed to clean up poor, low quality signals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftypete View Post

No problems displaying 1080p from BD sources coming out of a PS3, nor have I had that issue with 480i dvds, 720p games, or 1080i BDs coming from the same. I have very little experience with using a computer as a source device to be much help diagnosing the problem without actually being there. But I did hook up a friends laptop to a common HDTV once. They initially got a windowboxed image too. I don't remember if we had to fix it by the aspect formating in the TV or if there was a full screen setting in the video player.

Chad Varnadore <><
ex-armchair quarterback

post #639 of 1128 Old 03-04-2014, 08:51 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
I'm happy to report I found a fix for the jerky pans.

I was playing around with the settings, and changed Aspect Ratio from "Auto" to "16:9" - and that fixed it!

Weird, huh.

"It's an invention, and it makes Non-Stop Rocking possible!"
post #640 of 1128 Old 03-04-2014, 09:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:

I had no problem with the warranty repair except for the hours that they were open to call them and that the service tech said they would send me a new projector since mine broke down within 30 days. Then when I called the other department that handles this part of the warranty stated we don't make the projectors anymore and we don't provide new projectors and that you'll have to send yours out to service. I have no problem sending it out but it tacked on an extra week for me sending it out. The techs seemed like they had basic knowledge and had a checklist for me to go through to ensure I didn't mess something up. Example - "Is the unit plugged in". Luckily once I explained what I did to troubleshoot he realized I knew what I was doing and skipped the rest of the troubleshooting questions. So it is currently on its way to the service center so hopefully I'll get it back sometime next week.
post #641 of 1128 Old 03-04-2014, 10:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TViewer2000 View Post

I had no problem with the warranty repair except for the hours that they were open to call them and that the service tech said they would send me a new projector since mine broke down within 30 days. Then when I called the other department that handles this part of the warranty stated we don't make the projectors anymore and we don't provide new projectors and that you'll have to send yours out to service. I have no problem sending it out but it tacked on an extra week for me sending it out. The techs seemed like they had basic knowledge and had a checklist for me to go through to ensure I didn't mess something up. Example - "Is the unit plugged in". Luckily once I explained what I did to troubleshoot he realized I knew what I was doing and skipped the rest of the troubleshooting questions. So it is currently on its way to the service center so hopefully I'll get it back sometime next week.

What is the repair for?

Chad Varnadore <><
ex-armchair quarterback

post #642 of 1128 Old 03-04-2014, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rastan View Post

Seriously?!

This unit produces an excellent picture. Maybe you have a defective iris or something. I've never seen a projector go totally dark. An iris will attempt to limit brightness but never to the point of totally black. In fact that is strength of very good projectors in that black on a projection screen is nothing more than no light projected to that spot.

Actually, if you set the 7900 to Auto Iris 3, it will go completely black on black screens by closing the iris completely, that's the setting I use. The only time it's a slight issue is when the screen goes from all black to having just a small area of light, you'll see the entire screen go to pure black as the iris is closed and then go back to the projector's regular black levels as soon as something appears on the screen.
post #643 of 1128 Old 03-04-2014, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djkest View Post

I am pretty sure this is the projector I want but I have a few remaining doubts. I had origionally planned to get the BenQ W1070 but this seems like a better projector in MOST ways. Specifically, better 2D performance, better blacks, better contrast, quieter operation.

My Application is not very demanding. I am going with a maximum of 100" screen, throw distance is going to be very close to 10'.

With the Benq, it estimates 29 FL at this size and distance.
With the Mitsubishi, it estimates 25 FL at this size and distance.

I only have 1 window, the light won't be hitting the screen directly ever, and I am going to have a Window plug so essentially I can make the room very dark when needed.

I believe the Mitsubishi will be plenty bright enough for 2D, which will be 95% of my useage. However, I would like to do some 3D sometimes, and it seems like the Mitsubishi simply won't be bright enough for that to be satisfactory. What do you think?

Newegg has this PJ for $800. Honestly, if it was $1000 I would still be considering it; It competes favorably with PJs costing $2,000-3,000 and is under my budget.

I'm making a 106" screen and have 2 windows in the room plus light from windows in the rest of the house that comes in during the day (the room has no door) and as long as I close the blinds and turn lights off it's perfectly watchable even with the bulb on dim mode. For 3D, the bulb on dim mode does get a bit dim with ambient light, if you want to watch 3D with some ambient light set the bulb to bright and it's fine, though I usually use the projector after sun down so I have it on dim all the time, including for 3D.
post #644 of 1128 Old 03-04-2014, 12:28 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aab1 View Post

Actually, if you set the 7900 to Auto Iris 3, it will go completely black on black screens by closing the iris completely, that's the setting I use. The only time it's a slight issue is when the screen goes from all black to having just a small area of light, you'll see the entire screen go to pure black as the iris is closed and then go back to the projector's regular black levels as soon as something appears on the screen.
I have similar problem on my HC8000, when I set the iris on auto1 or auto2, in a dark scene the black is not even, more darker black at the corner.
I just send it to repair yesterday, they said should take around 2-3 days, hopefully can pick it up tomorrow.
post #645 of 1128 Old 03-04-2014, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwong888 View Post

I have similar problem on my HC8000, when I set the iris on auto1 or auto2, in a dark scene the black is not even, more darker black at the corner.
I just send it to repair yesterday, they said should take around 2-3 days, hopefully can pick it up tomorrow.

You misunderstood my message, there is no problem at all on mine. What I mean is that if the signal has 100% of the pixels 100% black, then the projector will close the iris 100%, but as soon as the video signal includes 1 pixel that isn't black, the iris will open so that it can project that pixel, causing the entire screen to go from pure black to the projector's "normal" black, this is completely normal and how it is supposed to work on iris mode 3.
post #646 of 1128 Old 03-04-2014, 01:13 PM

Liked: 15
ref the build date of my pg... cant find one ..where would it be??... serial number 2690

now a question... took down my infocus 7205, and ofcourse the mount is diff and un-usable, so i have to get a mount.. prefer one that is adjustable so i can zero in for the best possible picture.. any suggestions??
another 'stupid' question... i mounted the pj on a bunch of boxes (they are sturdy), the pj turned on, but just got a blue screen... i can get into the menu, but why the blue screen???

the connection was the 3wire component cable off the infocus, and put on the 7900, plugged the power cord in , but no picture..

the other equiptment is a cablevision hdbox, harmon kardon receiver... got sounf, channels change but a blue screen (??)... HELP...
post #647 of 1128 Old 03-04-2014, 01:26 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by aab1 View Post

You misunderstood my message, there is no problem at all on mine. What I mean is that if the signal has 100% of the pixels 100% black, then the projector will close the iris 100%, but as soon as the video signal includes 1 pixel that isn't black, the iris will open so that it can project that pixel, causing the entire screen to go from pure black to the projector's "normal" black, this is completely normal and how it is supposed to work on iris mode 3.

In fact iris mode 3 is the most aggressive. Even if only a small amount of pixels are 100% white, the iris will not fully open. It will remain almost full close, resulting in a dark gray image. To see how much light and details is hidden by the closed iris, pause to a low light image and turn off DI.

The mode 2, handles more efficient the low light scenes.

Personally I prefer the dynamic iris turned off.
post #648 of 1128 Old 03-04-2014, 01:28 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by paris401 View Post

i mounted the pj on a bunch of boxes (they are sturdy), the pj turned on, but just got a blue screen... i can get into the menu, but why the blue screen???

the connection was the 3wire component cable off the infocus, and put on the 7900, plugged the power cord in , but no picture..

Have you switched to the Component input (COMP button on the remote)?
post #649 of 1128 Old 03-04-2014, 01:31 PM

probably not... the imagine was upside down... i have to change that... got a headache from standing on my head trying to read the menu... i'm going to tackle it again after dinner...thanks
post #650 of 1128 Old 03-04-2014, 01:35 PM

That's unfortunate, I was able to switch my universal mount from my Infocus 7205 to the Mits quite easily. I believe mine is a Peerless mount. Something is up, the blue screen is the default screen when there is no signal. Not sure if you just swapped why it's not coming up. I do notice that it seems to take a little longer to 'lock on' but it will show up. Time to start some trouble shooting. Connections? AVR?

By the way, having just mounted mine I must say the picture is quite stunning. Definitely much better sharpness, black levels and colour saturation then the old Infocus. Now the Infocus is calibrated and the Mits has yet to be but I like what I see so far.
post #651 of 1128 Old 03-04-2014, 02:35 PM

Quote:

ref the build date of my pg... cant find one ..where would it be??... serial number 2690
Somewhere in the box, maybe..

You need to power the projector on, switch to component input, then switch on the cable box and other a/v sources.
post #652 of 1128 Old 03-04-2014, 02:56 PM

Quote:

Somewhere in the box, maybe..

You need to power the projector on, switch to component input, then switch on the cable box and other a/v sources.

thanks... will tackle after my glass of wine...
post #653 of 1128 Old 03-04-2014, 03:12 PM

Quote:

I'm happy to report I found a fix for the jerky pans.

I was playing around with the settings, and changed Aspect Ratio from "Auto" to "16:9" - and that fixed it!

Weird, huh.

did u turn off the CRF ?
and could u tell some of ur settings ?
post #654 of 1128 Old 03-04-2014, 03:37 PM

How do you calibrate the projector? Do you just get a reference disk like the Disney one I have heard about and work through the steps?

post #655 of 1128 Old 03-04-2014, 04:00 PM

i have checked the pj, inside the box, no build date found, only the serial number..

'another' quirk..

my infocus was connected as follows . the 3 component wires were connected from the pj to the harmon kardon receiver output, and the other 3wires were from the hd box output to the harmon input. and my infocus worked fine , but when i hooked up the 7900, i had no picture, only a blue screen...

so i connected the 7900 directly to the hd cable box ...and got a picture..BUT now have no audio... can't understand that since i didnt touch the audio wires, only the 3 video wires... very weird...

1st impression of the picture , having the pj stacked on boxes and 18' from the screen is ...WOW... way better then the infocus... once i get a new mount and some sound....
post #656 of 1128 Old 03-04-2014, 04:22 PM

Quote:

I can get readings on lamp hours and S/W version of my old trusty Mitsubishi HC3000 by pressing the UP, DOWN, and ENTER buttons all 3 at the same time on the projector body. The hidden menu provides lamp hours as well as software version number. I wonder if you can access to that menu in HC7900DW.
post #657 of 1128 Old 03-04-2014, 04:34 PM

Quote:

i have checked the pj, inside the box, no build date found, only the serial number..

'another' quirk..

my infocus was connected as follows . the 3 component wires were connected from the pj to the harmon kardon receiver output, and the other 3wires were from the hd box output to the harmon input. and my infocus worked fine , but when i hooked up the 7900, i had no picture, only a blue screen...

so i connected the 7900 directly to the hd cable box ...and got a picture..BUT now have no audio... can't understand that since i didnt touch the audio wires, only the 3 video wires... very weird...

1st impression of the picture , having the pj stacked on boxes and 18' from the screen is ...WOW... way better then the infocus... once i get a new mount and some sound....

This projector has no audio. The audio is between the cable box and receiver. You sure you had to right input set on your receiver?
post #658 of 1128 Old 03-04-2014, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rastan View Post

This projector has no audio. The audio is between the cable box and receiver. You sure you had to right input set on your receiver?

orig. i disconnected the 3 wires from the infocus, and connected em to the 7900, plugged it in, and got the blue screen... and 'no input' printed on it... so it was wired just like the infocus...

when i went directly from the hd box to the pj , got picture, lost audio... didn't touch the audio wires..

as said orig its from the pj to the output of the harmon receiver... and theres a 3 wire from the output of the hd box to the input of the harmon... here i got audio...blue screen...

and both ways, the front is tuned to video 1, so the setting is rite..

post #659 of 1128 Old 03-04-2014, 05:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Sowden View Post

How do you calibrate the projector? Do you just get a reference disk like the Disney one I have heard about and work through the steps?

A test disc like HD Basics or WOW should have all the patterns you need for basic user level adjustments. If you want to get the grayscale close, try the settings found in the review of the Mitsubishi 8000 at projectorreviews. You might want to try the settings they recommend in the 7900 review too, but when I ran them in my 7900 they were way off. The recommendations for the 8000 looked very close, so I suspect Mits corrected something via firmware on later production runs. Throw up one of the gray ramps from HD Basics to test which is closer. The goal is for gray to look pure gray without any color bias. When I tried the settings for the 7900 it was way too red.

Quote:

You can call Mits, give them the serial and they'll be able to tell you the build date and whether or not it has the latest firmware, if that's what you're after.

Chad Varnadore <><
ex-armchair quarterback

post #660 of 1128 Old 03-04-2014, 07:01 PM

It's possible your old projector allowed 1080p over component whereas newer electronics usually don't. Change your receivers output to be the same as what the cable box is outputting to fix this-blame Hollywood if this is the problem.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Mitsubishi Hc7900dw Home Theater 3d Projector , Mitsubishi Hc4000 300 Inch 1080p Front Projector
Gear in this thread - Hc4000 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page