Mitsubishi HC7900DW owner's thread - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 12-18-2013, 01:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I am considering getting this projector but I read that the color wheel only works at 6x under certain conditions. I will be connecting mine to a PC, how can I ensure it runs at 6x? Does it depend on my video card settings or the video that is playing?

I want to be sure I can have it running at 6x for all my 2D viewing, I don't mind if 3D only works at 4x.

Will I be able to have it at 6x for all 2D viewing?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2013, 03:30 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
According to the manual, 6x speed is effective only when a 1080p 24 signal is input.
Old 12-18-2013, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJones View Post

According to the manual, 6x speed is effective only when a 1080p 24 signal is input.

How do I make sure my computer is sending a 1080p 24 signal? Does it depend on my video card?

Thank you
Old 12-18-2013, 05:54 PM

Blu-rays fit the bill. But if you need 6x all the time, a different projector might be in order. I don't own this unit and have not actually tried various inputs.
Old 12-19-2013, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJones View Post

Blu-rays fit the bill. But if you need 6x all the time, a different projector might be in order. I don't own this unit and have not actually tried various inputs.

Most of what I watch on my projector is TV recorded on the PC itself with a capture card. Wouldn't the fact that it's connected to a PC "standardize" all videos into the same format?

Basically I want to know how I get my computer to output a signal that will allow the projector to run at 6x.

Thanks
Old 12-19-2013, 03:17 AM

Another question, what type of mounting screws does this projector need? I can't find this in the manual or with an Internet search.

Thanks
Old 12-19-2013, 06:25 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 31
You would set the refresh rate of your video card to 24hz. The problems you will encounter with slow desktop and frame-rate conversion will greatly outweigh any issues with the 4x colour wheel running at 60hz. One solution is to use a player that will autochange refresh rate to match the media but I have no idea how that would work with live TV. 24hz is really only something you'd use for Bluray playback.
Old 12-20-2013, 03:30 AM

I'll see if the place I want to get it from takes returns with no restock fee just in case I find 24Hz and 4x CW speed to be a problem. I was hoping to get a projector that's better than my Sharp DT-510 in every aspect but it seems I would need to go into more expensive models I can't afford so I might be willing to downgrade from 5x to 4x color wheel for all the other benefits.

I'm confused that there seems to be no information available about what type of mounting screws this projector uses, I want to ceiling mount and the manual says it must be done by a professional but I want to install it myself. Does it use special screws that aren't commonly available?

Thanks
Old 12-21-2013, 08:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aab1 View Post

I'm confused that there seems to be no information available about what type of mounting screws this projector uses, I want to ceiling mount and the manual says it must be done by a professional but I want to install it myself. Does it use special screws that aren't commonly available?

It uses M4 screws. You'll have to carefully measure the required length for your mount/spacers. The projector only accommodates about 5/16" of the screw length.
Old 12-21-2013, 03:28 PM

Thanks, I'll probably buy it today. When you say it only accommodates 5/16" screw length, do the screws simply block (hit a solid bottom) at that length or do they break internal components? In any case I'll keep that in mind and be careful.

Since I need mine as close to the ceiling as possible (I might even have to angle it to get the screen up by 1-3 inches, in which case I'd rather keep a barely deformed screen than destroy image quality with keystone), I was thinking of screwing the projector to a 1/2" board of solid hard wood, and then screwing that to the joists in the ceiling, allowing me to have it as little as 1/2" down from the ceiling height, does anyone see anything wrong with that? Due to the steep projection angle even with lens shift I need it as close to the ceiling as I can and even that may require tilting it.

Thanks
Old 12-21-2013, 05:30 PM

I bought it, I was actually going to buy it yesterday but BH closed their order system for 24 hours 12 minutes before I was going to buy. Luckily it was still in stock and I was able to order it, I was really worried it would sell out and that I'd miss this incredible deal so I wanted to get it ASAP.

It's funny because my 2 previous projectors I had also got $2000-3500 models from a year or so earlier on sale for $800-1000, I prefer getting a high end model from the previous year than pay the same price for this year's low end junk (I couldn't find any that met my requirements in the under $1000 models until I came across the HC7900DW, but I did want a 5x or higher color wheel but downgrading from my current 5x Sharp DT-510 to 4x was a sacrifice I was willing to make for the better image and build quality).
Old 12-25-2013, 04:40 AM

Is it worth getting the Mitsubishi glasses designed for this projector? I read they provide a brighter image but what's the price difference?

Are the glasses in this Amazon listing the originals? It says its the Mits emitter but doesn't specify anything about the glasses themselves:

http://www.amazon.com/EY-3D-EMT2H-Mitsubishi-HC9000DW-HC7800DW-HC8000d-bl/dp/B007HOG7H2/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1387971155&sr=8-5&keywords=EY-3D-EMT2H

Another question, say I get 2 pairs of glasses but 3 are there to watch, is it watchable in 3D mode without the glasses for the third person?

Thanks and Merry Christmas
Old 12-25-2013, 08:30 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Those original Mitsubishi ones are priced very much higher. I read that they are brighter too but 4 pairs will be around 2/3 cost of the projector itself which to me does not make sense. My 3D content is only 5% of my current contents so I settled for 4 pairs of PS3 glasses which was sold for a low price of USD 15 each in Amazon. I have done some calibration for 3D brightness and contrast using Spears and Munsil HD and pleased with the 3D now. Its about setting expectation on brightness of 3D cannot be compared to 2D mode or more expensive projectors.

I have also ordered an EStar RF kit to try with a modded cable. However that one is not ready yet and am awaiting the cable from a fellow member here.

Best!
Old 12-26-2013, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DexS View Post

Those original Mitsubishi ones are priced very much higher. I read that they are brighter too but 4 pairs will be around 2/3 cost of the projector itself which to me does not make sense. My 3D content is only 5% of my current contents so I settled for 4 pairs of PS3 glasses which was sold for a low price of USD 15 each in Amazon. I have done some calibration for 3D brightness and contrast using Spears and Munsil HD and pleased with the 3D now. Its about setting expectation on brightness of 3D cannot be compared to 2D mode or more expensive projectors.

I have also ordered an EStar RF kit to try with a modded cable. However that one is not ready yet and am awaiting the cable from a fellow member here.

Best!

How do I know which glasses are compatible with the Mitsubishi emitter? Are you using the PS3 glasses with the Mitsubishi emitter?

Thanks
Old 12-26-2013, 02:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aab1 View Post

How do I know which glasses are compatible with the Mitsubishi emitter? Are you using the PS3 glasses with the Mitsubishi emitter?

Thanks

Yes I am using the PS3 glasses with Mit emitter. I learnt that it will work from one of the owners here. : >

I am afraid I cannot advise on other brands of IR glasses.
Old 12-26-2013, 03:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DexS View Post

Yes I am using the PS3 glasses with Mit emitter. I learnt that it will work from one of the owners here. : >

I am afraid I cannot advise on other brands of IR glasses.

The Playstation glasses seem very well made, have great reviews and are inexpensive, so I think I'll get those.

If I ever have more viewers than glasses, can the image be watched in 3D mode without glasses for those that don't have them? That could influence the number of pairs I buy.

Thanks
Old 12-26-2013, 07:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I have come to the conclusion that this is a great value and black levels
are better than the Optoma HD82 I just had and better than the Panasonic
AE-7000. Color accuracy and depth of field are a strong point for 899.00
Projector. Blacks are not green and the projector is also a massive upgrade
from the HC7800 I came from earlier this year. This is my 26 different projector
in my theater over the years and continue to be amazed what we can buy
for so little money. Few screenshots from iPhone 5 as there are none on this
thread. Good monitor will show the quality looks amazing to me. 92" MaxMudd
Retro 2.1 with projector set to cinema with auto iris 2,color -5, and projector
In high amp mode in light control room.

Old 12-26-2013, 11:28 AM

Liked: 13
Hello Greg (or anyone who's put some time into calibrating their 7900),
If you would be willing to share your settings it would be greatly appreciated. I know every room and screen is different but it should provide a good start. My room is black with black velvet surrounding the 120" 16:9 SilverTicket screen. A dungeon of glorious blackness : ) Nice to know someone with a lot of projector experience is really enjoying their 7900. I was quite impressed myself.
Thank you in advance,
Craig
Old 12-26-2013, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg1292 View Post

I have come to the conclusion that this is a great value and black levels
are better than the Optoma HD82 I just had and better than the Panasonic
AE-7000. Color accuracy and depth of field are a strong point for 899.00
Projector. Blacks are not green and the projector is also a massive upgrade
from the HC7800 I came from earlier this year. This is my 26 different projector
in my theater over the years and continue to be amazed what we can buy
for so little money. Few screenshots from iPhone 5 as there are none on this
In high amp mode in light control room.

Did you have the HC3800? That is what I am coming from and thinking about upgrading to the hc7900
Old 12-26-2013, 07:16 PM

What's everyone using for a screen for this? I bought an Elunevision manual pull down grey with 1.1 gain. It was defective and sprang up to the ceiling by itself, warping the bottom of the screen. I'll be upgrading it to a motorized model as I don't trust the pull downs and don't want to risk my plasma if it happens again and the bar smashes back into it.
I can stick with the grey or switch to a white screen, with the grey I am very pleased with the black levels but I find that it just isn't as vibrant as I'm used to with my Plasma. How much black would I give up and how much more vibrant could it get if I went white?
I'm in a light controlled room, ambient light is of no concern, projecting 106" with an 11ft-ish viewing distance.
Old 12-26-2013, 11:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Ask Mississippi in the dyi forum I like my pbmax mud retro version 2 but
Next screen will be the React 2 from draper screens.
Old 12-27-2013, 01:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg1292 View Post

Few screenshots from iPhone 5 as there are none on this
/quote]

Greg

May I know what are your settings for contrast and brightness for my reference
please?

Best!
Old 12-27-2013, 05:17 AM

My contrast is -25, Brightness -1, sharpness 1...I used S&M HD disc.

Quite surprised that I have dial down the contrast so much. I am hoping I did it right.
Old 12-27-2013, 07:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyb22 View Post

Did you have the HC3800? That is what I am coming from and thinking about upgrading to the hc7900
Will be a more refined picture with better blacks and contrast. Depth of field is greatly improved. So yes it
would be a noticeble improvement.
Old 12-27-2013, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Why is this $2500 PJ comes down to $899 in less than a year?

Is it that bad a projector?
Old 12-27-2013, 09:26 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokarz View Post

Why is this $2500 PJ comes down to $899 in less than a year?

Is it that bad a projector?
no, it's because the manufacturer pulled out of the projector game. They no longer make projectors but will honor warranty for anyone who buys their remaining product.

Current HT setup:

Samsung UN65F6300 65" LCD HDTV, Polk CS20 Center, 2x Polk Monitor 75T Fronts, 2x Polk TSI300 Backs, Polk PSW110 Subwoofer.

Old 12-27-2013, 09:34 AM
AVS Special Member

And for that reason and being a good product it is a no
brainer.
Old 12-27-2013, 09:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by sodaboy581 View Post

no, it's because the manufacturer pulled out of the projector game. They no longer make projectors but will honor warranty for anyone who buys their remaining product.

Hmm......I guess that plays a part, but not a major part. The other Mits PJs are still going strong and does not exhibit such a price drop.

Panasonic exited the Plasma market, but their TVs are still highly sought after, actually prices increased in recent weeks and it's extremely hard to find a Pannie Plasma.

I read a little more on this projector and there seems to be a few major factors that make this PJ unattractive

1) 4x color wheel (instead of 6x)
2) low lumens after calibration
3) and this is the killer. 25" offset and very limited vertical lenshift. basically, anyone with less than 8ft ceiling, this PJ is useless unless you sit it on a table. most people ceiling mount their pj and have under 8ft ceiling in their dedicated rooms downstairs.

the picture quality and price point is extremely attractive, but it won't work in my environment. a shame i have to pass on this unit.
Old 12-27-2013, 10:06 AM

Just an FYI to the ceiling height/offset. I've got a 90" (7.5') drop ceiling in my room and have mounted the projector flush with the ceiling tile, that would make the center of the lens roughly 2" from the ceiling. The bottom of my 106" screen is roughly 20-22" above the floor. More than enough room (for a single row of seating). My feet don't even enter the picture when I recline my chair to my normal position, although they do if I recline all the way back to an almost laying down position but I only sit like that for listening to music with my eyes closed.
Old 12-27-2013, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokarz View Post

Hmm......I guess that plays a part, but not a major part. The other Mits PJs are still going strong and does not exhibit such a price drop.

Panasonic exited the Plasma market, but their TVs are still highly sought after, actually prices increased in recent weeks and it's extremely hard to find a Pannie Plasma.

I read a little more on this projector and there seems to be a few major factors that make this PJ unattractive

1) 4x color wheel (instead of 6x)
2) low lumens after calibration
3) and this is the killer. 25" offset and very limited vertical lenshift. basically, anyone with less than 8ft ceiling, this PJ is useless unless you sit it on a table. most people ceiling mount their pj and have under 8ft ceiling in their dedicated rooms downstairs.

the picture quality and price point is extremely attractive, but it won't work in my environment. a shame i have to pass on this unit.

I've already touched on the 3rd point in my above post but as for the other two.

1) Have not seen a rainbow yet. I've never had (or even seen) a DLP projector before so I have no idea if I'm susceptible or not. A caveat to this is when I was setting my mount position before I had my screen, I was projecting to the bare wall and over top of my plasma. I did see some flashes of colour in the shiny black bezel of my TV. Don't know if that was RBE or a straight reflection off the bulb.

2) This is true. I researched projectors to death but never made it to reading up on screens. When this deal hit I was still about 2 months out from when I expected to be purchasing a unit but I couldn't pass up the deal. That left me in scramble mode for a screen and the very limited reading I did suggested that a grey screen was the way to go, Grey = better blacks, right. Coming from Plasma that was my concern, can it match the blacks on my mid-level plasma set. Well on a 1.1 gain grey screen it can, but it is no-where near as vibrant as I expected. I've done a ton more reading and it appears that for a low-lumen, high contrast projector in a light controlled room I probably should have gone with white. Thankfully the retraction mechanism in my manual pull-down screen is busted and Eastporters.com have awesome customer service so I have a new Tab-Tensioned white screen on its way to me. I'm hoping that gives me the punch I was after, I have zero interest in 3D and will never even purchase the emitter so I don't need the excessive brightness that 3D requires.

Tags
Mitsubishi Hc7900dw Home Theater 3d Projector , Mitsubishi Hc4000 300 Inch 1080p Front Projector