Mitsubishi HC7900DW owner's thread - Page 40 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1171 of 1199 Old 12-08-2014, 05:41 PM
Advanced Member
 
TViewer2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Goodyear, AZ
Posts: 532
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by rekbones View Post
I haven't opened the lamp door on my 7900 so I don't know its exact location, but on all of the other projectors I have changed the lamp on there was a simple micro switch that some part of the door makes contact with. It must not be making good contact and as the projector heats up the expansion of the plastic causes it to not make contact any more. Take the door off and look for it and you should be able to adjust it so it makes better contact.
Yeah I see the little metal lever in the case. When I put the door on and off I could hear if click on and off. Also if plugged in the power light would flash red/green when the door was off and turn green when the door was on. So yeah, something may be out of adjustment. Not much room to play with though, and the metal lever is pretty flimsy. We'll see how it goes though.
TViewer2000 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1172 of 1199 Old 12-08-2014, 05:49 PM
Advanced Member
 
TViewer2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Goodyear, AZ
Posts: 532
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by rekbones View Post
I haven't opened the lamp door on my 7900 so I don't know its exact location, but on all of the other projectors I have changed the lamp on there was a simple micro switch that some part of the door makes contact with. It must not be making good contact and as the projector heats up the expansion of the plastic causes it to not make contact any more. Take the door off and look for it and you should be able to adjust it so it makes better contact.
On other projectors how much did you adjust?
TViewer2000 is offline  
post #1173 of 1199 Old 12-08-2014, 05:58 PM
Advanced Member
 
TViewer2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Goodyear, AZ
Posts: 532
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Well, back to the Power light red and status light green = abnormal bulb. Guess Mitsubishi will have to take it back and fix it.
TViewer2000 is offline  
post #1174 of 1199 Old 12-10-2014, 06:52 PM
Senior Member
 
kopkiwi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 306
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Anyone know of a place to get the 3D DIN sync cable from that isn't an insane $100? Or a spare lens cap.
kopkiwi is offline  
post #1175 of 1199 Old 01-14-2015, 01:37 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 43
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Purchased a used 7900DW(17 Hours) off the forums here. But have a problem with it. The pictured is jittery and blocky. Now it does not do it all the time sometimes it will do it consantly for 30 seconds or so and then won't do it for a minute or two. I tried changed HDMI cords, same thing. Changed the source and it is still doing the same thing. So I used the same HDMI and source to my other projector and it works fine. Any ideas?

Thanks
Eaon
roland13 is offline  
post #1176 of 1199 Old 01-14-2015, 03:28 PM
Senior Member
 
jjcook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 291
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by roland13 View Post
Purchased a used 7900DW(17 Hours) off the forums here. But have a problem with it. The pictured is jittery and blocky. Now it does not do it all the time sometimes it will do it consantly for 30 seconds or so and then won't do it for a minute or two. I tried changed HDMI cords, same thing. Changed the source and it is still doing the same thing. So I used the same HDMI and source to my other projector and it works fine. Any ideas?

Thanks
Eaon
Try the other HDMI input? Also, were these both long HDMI cables or was one the nominal 6 ft variety?

For Sale: Navitar SSW065 short throw conversion lens

WTB: PSA XS15 or XS15se, PM me.

Small HT: JVC RS4910, Mits HC7900DW, Falcon 2.35:1 100-wide, Marantz SR7008, Triad Gold Omni SE & Silver Surrounds, PSA XS15-base, Oppo 103D, Tivo Mini, HTPC
jjcook is online now  
post #1177 of 1199 Old 01-14-2015, 03:44 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 43
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjcook View Post
Try the other HDMI input? Also, were these both long HDMI cables or was one the nominal 6 ft variety?
Tried both HDMI inputs and they both do the same thing. The cables are 40' runs, but I have tried it with another source and 6' & 9' runs and it still does the same thing.

I just tried my HD DVD player with component outputs and the picture works fine through there. So I am assuming it has something to do with the HDMI inputs on the projector
roland13 is offline  
post #1178 of 1199 Old 01-14-2015, 05:24 PM
AVS Special Member
 
dragonbud0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Monmouth County, NJ
Posts: 1,940
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I do not own this model but HDMI port failure is not uncommon even among high end projectors, such as JVC or Sony. The other issue is HDMI handshake, quirky at best.
dragonbud0 is online now  
post #1179 of 1199 Old 01-15-2015, 10:06 AM
Advanced Member
 
DenisG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Austin TX
Posts: 939
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by roland13 View Post
Tried both HDMI inputs and they both do the same thing. The cables are 40' runs, but I have tried it with another source and 6' & 9' runs and it still does the same thing.

I just tried my HD DVD player with component outputs and the picture works fine through there. So I am assuming it has something to do with the HDMI inputs on the projector
I don't remember how to get into the secret sub menu, but you can change the HDMI cable run length in it. It's posted in this thread some where how to get into it.
roland13 likes this.
DenisG is offline  
post #1180 of 1199 Old 01-15-2015, 10:38 AM
Senior Member
 
jjcook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 291
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I have been unable to find instructions on how to get into the service menu (in this or the 7800 & 8000 threads) -- to anyone who knows, this info would be greatly appreciated.
roland13 likes this.

For Sale: Navitar SSW065 short throw conversion lens

WTB: PSA XS15 or XS15se, PM me.

Small HT: JVC RS4910, Mits HC7900DW, Falcon 2.35:1 100-wide, Marantz SR7008, Triad Gold Omni SE & Silver Surrounds, PSA XS15-base, Oppo 103D, Tivo Mini, HTPC
jjcook is online now  
post #1181 of 1199 Old 01-15-2015, 11:53 AM
Advanced Member
 
DenisG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Austin TX
Posts: 939
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Found it, you can reach the menu by going to Settings - Language; Leave the cursor on your Language and, using the remote, press Auto Position, Enter, Auto Position.
roland13 likes this.
DenisG is offline  
post #1182 of 1199 Old 01-15-2015, 02:54 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 43
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Ok, got the picture to start working. Changed the length setting to 10-20m but that did not fix it. I believe turning off Frame Rate Conversion and changing the settings on my PS3 (No hdmi controls on) fixed it.

But I still have a jittery menu screen and picture. It is like the picture is shaking really fast but only moving a millimeter or so.

Thanks for the all the help.

HT: Panasonic 8000AE, Mitsubishi 7900DW, Denon 3312, 125" AT Silver Screen, PSB Speakers, PS3, Xbox 360, Pioneer CLD-503, Toshiba A-35, Wii U, Many Vintage and CurrentVideogame Systems.
roland13 is offline  
post #1183 of 1199 Old 01-19-2015, 01:15 PM
Advanced Member
 
TViewer2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Goodyear, AZ
Posts: 532
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I've been having issues with my projector shutting off. I just got it back from the service center and I powered it up. I turned on the PS3 and let it sit on the startup screen for a hour. Nothing happened. I then played LOTR (DVD) and it played it just fine. I then started netflix and played Into the Darkness. After 8 minutes the projector shutoff. I checked my receiver and it showed Dolby Digital Plus. I heard that netflix changed the codec and may cause issues with a variety of devices. So I put in Into the Darkness on BD on my PS3 and it has been playing without issue so far. So I think the Dolby Digital Plus might be causing my problems. Not sure if anyone has had experience with this. I'm going to turn off DD Plus in my PS3 and play netflix again and see if it is able to make it through our not.
TViewer2000 is offline  
post #1184 of 1199 Old 01-19-2015, 07:31 PM
Senior Member
 
aab1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 454
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I was watching a TV recording from my PC connected by HDMI to my HC7900DW and it suddenly shut down and seems to go through the normal cooling process. As it turned off I looked at it and for a few seconds one led was flashing between red and green.

I've been using it daily for just over a year and this is the first time this has happened so it may be a different issue than those that had shut down problems since the beginning.

Has this happened to anyone else after a long period with no problems?

What could it be and is it likely to happen again? Is there some sort of error log you can access somehow that may explain why it shut down?

I just read the reply just above also about shut down problems, but since I use PC the video signal is always the same 1080p and for audio I have it set to be sent in stereo PCM and it's connected by fiber optic, I don't even know if an audio signal is sent over the hdmi cable as my receiver doesn't have hdmi ports which is why I use fiber optic.

I used the projector for several more hours without problems so far, it had shut down about 15-45 minutes after I had turned it on.

Thanks

Last edited by aab1; 01-20-2015 at 12:48 AM.
aab1 is offline  
post #1185 of 1199 Old 01-20-2015, 11:20 AM
Advanced Member
 
DenisG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Austin TX
Posts: 939
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I seem to still have random shut off issues also. Watching u-verse TV it will never shut off. Watching Threw my Amazon Fire TV it randomly shuts off if it goes to HD1080p. Runs fine if the signal stays at just HD. Also random shut offs with Blu-Ray movies and Vudu. I would really like to know what 1080p signals have to do with randomly shutting off this projector.
DenisG is offline  
post #1186 of 1199 Old 01-20-2015, 12:08 PM
Senior Member
 
aab1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 454
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenisG View Post
I seem to still have random shut off issues also. Watching u-verse TV it will never shut off. Watching Threw my Amazon Fire TV it randomly shuts off if it goes to HD1080p. Runs fine if the signal stays at just HD. Also random shut offs with Blu-Ray movies and Vudu. I would really like to know what 1080p signals have to do with randomly shutting off this projector.
What do you mean by "just HD"? Have you had this issue since you initially got the projector? Mine did it for the first time yesterday after never having done that for the first 1+ year I had it.

By the way why do the email notifications from this website not have clickable links? It's 2015, not 1990, please update the website to send emails with clickable links.
aab1 is offline  
post #1187 of 1199 Old 01-20-2015, 12:34 PM
Advanced Member
 
DenisG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Austin TX
Posts: 939
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by aab1 View Post
What do you mean by "just HD"? Have you had this issue since you initially got the projector? Mine did it for the first time yesterday after never having done that for the first 1+ year I had it.

By the way why do the email notifications from this website not have clickable links? It's 2015, not 1990, please update the website to send emails with clickable links.
Amazon instant video streams in SD, HD(720) and HD1080p. It doesn't always stream in 1080p, just in 720. It seemed to have this random shut off thing as far as I can remember and only on 1080p content.
DenisG is offline  
post #1188 of 1199 Old 01-20-2015, 12:37 PM
Senior Member
 
aab1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 454
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenisG View Post
Amazon instant video streams in SD, HD(720) and HD1080p. It doesn't always stream in 1080p, just in 720. It seemed to have this random shut off thing as far as I can remember and only on 1080p content.
Have you had the issue since you had the projector or did it start after a year or so of use as it did for me? So far it's happened to me only once after over a year of daily use.
aab1 is offline  
post #1189 of 1199 Old 01-20-2015, 12:59 PM
Advanced Member
 
DenisG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Austin TX
Posts: 939
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by aab1 View Post
Have you had the issue since you had the projector or did it start after a year or so of use as it did for me? So far it's happened to me only once after over a year of daily use.
It's less than a year old. It is my main room TV. It has over 3400 hours on it. It has always done it as far as I can remember.
DenisG is offline  
post #1190 of 1199 Old 01-20-2015, 01:28 PM
Advanced Member
 
DenisG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Austin TX
Posts: 939
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Skimming through the manual I see this.

• Select HDMI1 or HDMI2 as the input source.
• HDCP (High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection), developed by Intel Corporation, is a method to encrypt digital
video data for the purpose of copy protection.
• HDMI (High-Definition Multimedia Interface) is fully backward compatible with computers, displays and consumer
electronics devices incorporating the DVI standards.
• This projector can be linked with video devices equipped with HDMI output terminal. However, with some of them,
this projector may not display any image or not operate correctly.

• If this projector doesn’t display any image or not operate correctly, see the operation manual of the video device
for its connection.

Is there something I need to turn off somewhere that is causing the random shut offs?
DenisG is offline  
post #1191 of 1199 Old 01-20-2015, 02:44 PM
Advanced Member
 
TViewer2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Goodyear, AZ
Posts: 532
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by TViewer2000 View Post
I've been having issues with my projector shutting off. I just got it back from the service center and I powered it up. I turned on the PS3 and let it sit on the startup screen for a hour. Nothing happened. I then played LOTR (DVD) and it played it just fine. I then started netflix and played Into the Darkness. After 8 minutes the projector shutoff. I checked my receiver and it showed Dolby Digital Plus. I heard that netflix changed the codec and may cause issues with a variety of devices. So I put in Into the Darkness on BD on my PS3 and it has been playing without issue so far. So I think the Dolby Digital Plus might be causing my problems. Not sure if anyone has had experience with this. I'm going to turn off DD Plus in my PS3 and play netflix again and see if it is able to make it through our not.
Projector made it about 40 minutes before it shutoff with the bluray. Turned it back on and it went the rest of the movie plus a little more before shutting off again. So I think 70-80 minutes. I now see that it first gives the error code for lamp cover not being closed, then it displays an error code for abnormal bulb condition before getting to the cooling down stage. The lamp cover is definitely closed so I'm thinking the sensor for the lamp cover is broken which is causing the problem I'm having now. So back to documenting what I'm doing before sending it back to Mitsubishi. I would be happy it this thing could go over 3 hours without turning off, which it has never done since owning this thing. Picture looks great though (10 minutes at a time ).
TViewer2000 is offline  
post #1192 of 1199 Old 01-25-2015, 11:16 AM
Senior Member
 
notlad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 270
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
After one year of ownership I have trouble finding words to express how dissatisfied I am with this projector. After owning a bulletproof Mitsubishi HD1000 720p projector that handled every signal thrown at it with a great pic this projector is a disaster except for Blu-ray discs.

Not only does the projector power off at will (usually when entertaining friends and in the middle of a movie) so that you have to wait a few minutes for the fan to cool the bulb before restarting but it absolutely cannot handle whatever signal I send it from my DirecTv Genie system and previous to that my DISH HD DVR receiver. The jerky motion that makes anything but a static picture almost unwatchable is there over half the time. I have tried setting the satellite receiver to send native resolutions so the proejctor can upscale, tried setting the satellite receiver at 720p and 1080p output. When I installed the projector I replaced all of my HDMI cables with new high speed ones capable of 3D, etc.

If I was using the projector to exclusively watch Blu-ray discs I would love it as the picture is amazing. Particularly with the 6x color wheel. However my mix of watching is probably 80/20 satellite vs Blu-ray.

I have researched and tried every suggested troubleshooting action with no good results. Knowing HDMI's electronic handshake can be finicky I have tried various sequences of booting up the satellite receiver, A/V receiver and projector. A few times works but most times does not.

After owning this projector I can see why Mitsubishi exited the Home Theater projector market. Unless you want it for a dedicated display source for Blu-ray discs I would strongly urge you avoid this projector. I thought I was getting a bargain buying a $3,000 MSRP projector at the close out price of $1000 but in hindsight my money would have been much better spent elsewhere.
notlad is offline  
post #1193 of 1199 Old 01-25-2015, 08:26 PM
Senior Member
 
aab1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 454
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Since mine shut down by itself for the first time last week after more than a year of daily use with no issues at all it hasn't happened again since.

Those of you with the shut down issue, has it ever went for a week of daily use with no issue? If not then whatever caused mine to shut down is surely a different problem.

I use mine exclusively connected to an HTPC.

I'm actually wondering if I didn't accidentally sit on the remote to cause it to shut down lol.

BTW is the color wheel available for this model? A failing cw is what caused my last pj to die and I'm wondering if I should get a spare in advance, is there any calibration need if it's changed and if so can it be done yourself.
aab1 is offline  
post #1194 of 1199 Old Today, 10:10 AM
Advanced Member
 
TViewer2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Goodyear, AZ
Posts: 532
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by TViewer2000 View Post
Projector made it about 40 minutes before it shutoff with the bluray. Turned it back on and it went the rest of the movie plus a little more before shutting off again. So I think 70-80 minutes. I now see that it first gives the error code for lamp cover not being closed, then it displays an error code for abnormal bulb condition before getting to the cooling down stage. The lamp cover is definitely closed so I'm thinking the sensor for the lamp cover is broken which is causing the problem I'm having now. So back to documenting what I'm doing before sending it back to Mitsubishi. I would be happy it this thing could go over 3 hours without turning off, which it has never done since owning this thing. Picture looks great though (10 minutes at a time ).

So after doing some testing it looks like the culprit in my case is the lamp cover sensor. I'm getting that code and another code which I thought was another error code but now think was the projector sending the code that it is now shutting down normally. Mitsubishi thinks that the screw holding the cover isn't in all the way. It definitely is but I don't see how the screw would communicate with the processor to let it know it is not on. Unless the screw is magnetized and it is somehow reading that. That would have to be some super magnetized screw though since nothing else is around it. Another member stated that there is a switch that may lose contact as the projector warms which can cause this condition. I think this is more likely since I can see that happening. I believe that Mitsubishi is going to have me send this back to the service center and have them replace that sensor or screw. Waiting to hear back. I'm thinking that having a service manual for this projector may be nice to have going forward to diagnose these little problems.

I'm thinking that maybe when the projector gets sent different types of signals the projector's cpu works harder which causes more heat than maybe makes that lamp cover sensor lose contact. I always run the projector on low settings to preserve lamp life but if I run it on high maybe the fans will kick on higher to keep cool. Or maybe hooking up some exterior fans to assist in cooling the unit may help. This is all speculation at this point but things that I may try out to see if it helps. It's just hard to believe a little heat is causing a switch to lose contact.
TViewer2000 is offline  
post #1195 of 1199 Old Today, 10:15 AM
Senior Member
 
aab1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 454
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by TViewer2000 View Post
So after doing some testing it looks like the culprit in my case is the lamp cover sensor. I'm getting that code and another code which I thought was another error code but now think was the projector sending the code that it is now shutting down normally. Mitsubishi thinks that the screw holding the cover isn't in all the way. It definitely is but I don't see how the screw would communicate with the processor to let it know it is not on. Unless the screw is magnetized and it is somehow reading that. That would have to be some super magnetized screw though since nothing else is around it. Another member stated that there is a switch that may lose contact as the projector warms which can cause this condition. I think this is more likely since I can see that happening. I believe that Mitsubishi is going to have me send this back to the service center and have them replace that sensor or screw. Waiting to hear back. I'm thinking that having a service manual for this projector may be nice to have going forward to diagnose these little problems.

I'm thinking that maybe when the projector gets sent different types of signals the projector's cpu works harder which causes more heat than maybe makes that lamp cover sensor lose contact. I always run the projector on low settings to preserve lamp life but if I run it on high maybe the fans will kick on higher to keep cool. Or maybe hooking up some exterior fans to assist in cooling the unit may help. This is all speculation at this point but things that I may try out to see if it helps. It's just hard to believe a little heat is causing a switch to lose contact.
The sensor doesn't detect the screw, it detects a pin in the cover that presses against a sensor, but the screw being loose can cause the pin to not be held close enough to the sensor to be detected or just enough to be detected when cold but moving away as it warms up and releasing the sensor. I beleive my first projector had this issue after I changed its bulb and didn't screw the lamp cover tight enough, after warming up the expansion caused the lamp cover to move away just enough to release the cover sensor and cause it to shut down. This was about 10 years ago but I believe simply tightening the screw solved the issue, I definitely didn't have to send it in for repairs and it worked fine for years after,

BTW setting the projector on high will speed up the fans but also cause the lamp to emit considerably more heat, so setting it on high is more likely to make it run even hotter.

Last edited by aab1; Today at 10:19 AM.
aab1 is offline  
post #1196 of 1199 Old Today, 10:26 AM
Advanced Member
 
TViewer2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Goodyear, AZ
Posts: 532
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by aab1 View Post
The sensor doesn't detect the screw, it detects a pin in the cover that presses against a sensor, but the screw being loose can cause the pin to not be held close enough to the sensor to be detected or just enough to be detected when cold but moving away as it warms up and releasing the sensor. I beleive my first projector had this issue after I changed its bulb and didn't screw the lamp cover tight enough, after warming up the expansion caused the lamp cover to move away just enough to release the cover sensor and cause it to shut down. This was about 10 years ago but I believe simply tightening the screw solved the issue, I definitely didn't have to send it in for repairs and it worked fine for years after,

BTW setting the projector on high will speed up the fans but also cause the lamp to emit considerably more heat, so setting it on high is more likely to make it run even hotter.
The screw is definitely in there. So I guess something else is causing it to fail or it is just plain defective. I'll keep everyone updated.
TViewer2000 is offline  
post #1197 of 1199 Old Today, 10:41 AM
Senior Member
 
aab1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 454
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by TViewer2000 View Post
The screw is definitely in there. So I guess something else is causing it to fail or it is just plain defective. I'll keep everyone updated.
Even if the screw is there, it could not be tight enough or perhaps the cover is warped even just slightly causing it to not press the sensor down enough. I don't know or remember what the pin and sensor look like on this projector as I've likely never opened the lamp cover, but if you want to test it at your own risk to see if it's that you can see if you can stick something like a toothpick into the lamp cover sensor in a way that it holds the sensor pressed and not put the cover at all and try the projector like that for a while, if it doesn't shut down like this then the cover sensor is probably the problem. Or if you know exactly the sequence of events that occurs when it does shut down, try intentionally opening the lamp cover while it's on, if it's not the same sequence of events that occurs then the lamp cover is probably not the problem.
aab1 is offline  
post #1198 of 1199 Old Today, 12:21 PM
Advanced Member
 
DenisG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Austin TX
Posts: 939
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Ii went through all my devices and shut off anything that had to do with HDMI control to see if that helps with the random shut offs.
DenisG is offline  
post #1199 of 1199 Old Today, 05:21 PM
Advanced Member
 
rekbones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Somers, CT
Posts: 685
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Any one know the correct bare lamp for this projector. Many places I have looked say the OSRAM P-VIP 230/0.8 E20.8 is correct for the 7800/7900 but the specs say this has a 240w lamp so I would think the OSRAM P-VIP 240/0.8 E20.8 would be the correct lamp. Anyone know for sure?

Smart enough to know better, to old to care
rekbones is online now  
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Mitsubishi Hc7900dw Home Theater 3d Projector , Mitsubishi Hc4000 300 Inch 1080p Front Projector
Gear in this thread - Hc4000 by PriceGrabber.com

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off