AVS Forum banner
103K views 1K replies 138 participants last post by  rekbones 
#1 ·
Well it seems like I'm the only one with this projector so I'm going to start an owner's thread. So far I love the projector. I did have some setup issues, where I had to turn off overscan in the ATI catalyst control center on my HTPC, change the HDMI setting to enhanced on the projector, and there is some plastic that came with the projector and I have no idea what it is for, but I love it! I upgraded from an HD1000U because of the whining color wheel. This projector is practically silent in econ mode and with my 95" screen that is plenty bright! I'm a big fan of frame interpolation so I have that turned on as well and it's very good on this projector. I haven't tried 3D yet, not sure if I will. Anyway, that's a start to this thread!

#203 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaan Janne  /t/1468460/mitsubishi-hc7900dw-owners-thread/180#post_24193677

Just seems that some people see lots of rainbowin with 24p material and that being the only mode where 6 speed on wheel is used the 60 material in gaming and pc use is rainbow city all night long

I have not seen a single post mentioning any rainbow issues with the current gen Mitsubishis. Can you post some sources to back that claim up?

#204 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrillho  /t/1468460/mitsubishi-hc7900dw-owners-thread/180#post_24194120

I have not seen a single post mentioning any rainbow issues with the current gen Mitsubishis. Can you post some sources to back that claim up?

i have read lot´s and lot´s of these thrad but in some for instance one guy said he sees it on 24p material and his wife can´t watch because of it

#206 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaan Janne  /t/1468460/mitsubishi-hc7900dw-owners-thread/180#post_24195540

i have read lot´s and lot´s of these thrad but in some for instance one guy said he sees it on 24p material and his wife can´t watch because of it

One guy doesn't make for "Rainbow city". If you go through this thread, the HC7800 thread there's a few mentions of RBE, in this thread there is one post where his wife can see rainbows. In the HC8000 thread there is no mention of anyone seeing rainbows. Please stop blowing RBE completely out of proportion. The amount of people who are affected by it with any modern DLP is negligible. My wife gets migraines watching LED-LCD TVs with the brightness jacked up. Maybe we should start spreading fud that LEDs cause migraines?

#207 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg1292  /t/1468460/mitsubishi-hc7900dw-owners-thread/180#post_24195615

"If

How does the 2d picture quality compare between the the epson 6020 and mitsubishi 8000? Thanks for any reply."

In our store the 6030 does not beat the 7900 in side by side viewing. The 8000 is better than the 7900.

Really? Where do you feel the 7900 really excels over the 6030? I can't imagine it'd be in black levels and intrascene contrast (ANSI contrast)? But if so, that's a great sign.

#208 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrillho  /t/1468460/mitsubishi-hc7900dw-owners-thread/180#post_24195651

One guy doesn't make for "Rainbow city". If you go through this thread, the HC7800 thread there's a few mentions of RBE, in this thread there is one post where his wife can see rainbows. In the HC8000 thread there is no mention of anyone seeing rainbows. Please stop blowing RBE completely out of proportion. The amount of people who are affected by it with any modern DLP is negligible. My wife gets migraines watching LED-LCD TVs with the brightness jacked up. Maybe we should start spreading fud that LEDs cause migraines?

..well i just think it's complete downer the fact wheel is 6 speed only for 24p and led me not to order this pj allhough it has good optics. I don't believe i blow it out of proportion, i just stated what i think. Reader always thinks for him/her self. Atleast they should. Im sorry for those who can't and were misslead by my post.

#209 ·
Well for one how about in focus. Second depth in the image. Third color

accuracy. Fourth looks real and not fake. Absolute black levels are so

overrated . Put a dlp on a react2 screen or one of the DYI screens and

blacks more than hold there own but outright win everywhere else. Projector

and screen working together as one equals PQ ans dlp has this in spades.

Justification for out of focus technology is just not an option for me.

#210 ·
Sounds very good. I'm looking at my setup to see if the 7900 will work. The high amount of vertical offset is a bit of a problem, but I think I can make it work without moving the screen down (110" diag, ~32.75" to the lower edge of the screen). I have 108" ceilings, so I do have room to work with, but I also have a "normal" light fixture somewhat close to the projector position. It looks like it'll work if I hack up my Monoprice mount, but it'll be really tight unless I'm at the very extreme end of the lens shift - which I'd rather not do just so I can have a little "wiggle room" when I get everything up.

I'd like to keep the screen up a bit higher so I can do a riser area behind my main row and put a couch or a few seats there. The screen height should help keep the riser not super high to get decent viewing of the screen.

#211 ·
Will someone please assist me. I have a hanging shelf in my ht, in the middle of the seating area, that is attached to the ceiling (due to walled in duct work). I now have an epson 8100 projector sitting upright on this shelf. The shelf is 70 inches from the ground. My screen is 110" diagonal. The shortest distance to the screen from the projector is 134 inches. The top of the viewing area of the screen is 81 inches from the ground and the bottom of the viewing area is 27 inches. According to the Mitsubishi projector calculator there is no way to place the projector on this shelf and have it project on the screen. Is this correct? Thank you.

#212 ·
Mt 7900 and 106" screen were installed a few days ago and it looks great and is absolutely usable with the lights on but I won't use it with the lights on most of the time.

I had 2 questions:

1. I don't seem to be getting 1:1 pixel mapping from my HTPC over HDMI, is there a way to get 1:1 mapping?

2. I always had my previous projectors connected to my UPS to perform a proper shut down in case of a power failure, I know some devices get destroyed by the dirty power from a UPS, is the 7900 safe to connect to a UPS so I can perform a safe shut down? And is it worth it? How bad is it for the projector and bulb to lose power? Should I connect it to my U{PS?

Thanks

#213 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by totalwex  /t/1468460/mitsubishi-hc7900dw-owners-thread/210#post_24197040

Will someone please assist me. I have a hanging shelf in my ht, in the middle of the seating area, that is attached to the ceiling (due to walled in duct work). I now have an epson 8100 projector sitting upright on this shelf. The shelf is 70 inches from the ground. My screen is 110" diagonal. The shortest distance to the screen from the projector is 134 inches. The top of the viewing area of the screen is 81 inches from the ground and the bottom of the viewing area is 27 inches. According to the Mitsubishi projector calculator there is no way to place the projector on this shelf and have it project on the screen. Is this correct? Thank you.

No, it will not be able to sit on your shelf. This unit has a largish amount of offset even with lens shift on. At 130" projecting a 106" image, mine is about 13" from the top of the image to the centerline of the lens.

#215 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg1292  /t/1468460/mitsubishi-hc7900dw-owners-thread/180#post_24195615

"If

How does the 2d picture quality compare between the the epson 6020 and mitsubishi 8000? Thanks for any reply."

In our store the 6030 does not beat the 7900 in side by side viewing. The 8000 is better than the 7900.
Thanks for replying. I may go for the 8000 then.

#218 ·
So with the idea of replacing just the bare bulb in the OEM housing a few times. Is there a limit to how many times you can just change out the bare bulb? Any real negatives to doing so vs. getting a completely new housing each time as well? I don't mind crimping/soldering on connectors or anything like that, so minor work like that does not scare me at all.

The OEM bulb+housing cost on this projector is a little scary given it's almost half the projector's new cost for 1.

#219 ·
#223 ·
What brand/model receivers are people using with this PJ?

Since purchase - about 8 months ago - the 7900 has experienced a couple dozen intermittent power losses. It's very unpredictable, sometimes going as long as 100 hours without any problems, sometimes twice in the same viewing session. The projector will just flick off (not power down properly), and then 20-30 seconds later the fan will come on for the cool down, like it's supposed to in the event of momentary power interruption, though there havn't been any power outages, and it's also plugged into a UPS that hasn't had to come on yet either. The Sony Black Pearl it's replaced never had a similar issue. But the Denon 3808 loses sound momentarily every time it happens as well, suggesting something in the HDMI connection could be triggering it, assuming when it happens some time of backfeed from the HDMI handshake isn't causing the AVR audio to cut out too. I can't ever repeat it, by replaying the same part of the film, were the power loss occured. But that doesn't necessarily mean anything either, as HDMI signal hiccups from layer changes and such, often don't repeat the second time through - though, that too was an extreme rarity with the Sony Black Pearl/Denon 3808 combo.

Mitsubishi thinks it's a PS3 or AVR setting issue, but they haven't been any help troubleshooting it beyond that, unable to do so much as suggest what settings to look at. As such, I've been pretty much in the dark, turning off this feature and that for the past 8 months, while getting the runaround from Mitsubishi customer support. It's happened once while playing a game on the PS3, but the problem has been overwhelmingly with BD movie playback (old and new releases). I thought I finally had it, between upgrading the Denon AVRs firmware (which had never been updated), switching from PS3 signal decoding to bitstreaming for AVR decoding (something I'd gotten away from about the time studios started watermarking their audio, as I began getting occasional popping sounds when bitstreaming at the time, but not from PCM, supposedly because the PS3's firmware was newer) and disabling any automatic internet connectivity when playing BDs. But after another 100 or so hours it's now started again and there's not really anything left to turn off that isn't integral to the systems performance. So, as Mitsubishi is reluctant to look into it until I've completely ruled out the other components in my system, I'm looking to upgrade AVRs, since the Denon would be the most likely culprit, if it's not a problem with the projector itself. It's probably not the best thing having a 3D capable PS3 and 3D capable projector, with a non-3D capable AVR in between anyway, even though I didn't buy the Mits for 3D.

My shortlist of AVRs include the Denon 4000, Onkyo 929 and 818, and Marantz 7008 for their support of Audyssey XT32. But anyone who's had experience with other models from those brands, successfully paired with this projector, would ease my mind too.

#224 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterofmd  /t/1468460/mitsubishi-hc7900dw-owners-thread/210#post_24209711

I saw the Groupon but is for $999. Is the same price as from Projector People and they are throwing in a 10' HMDI cable.

Here is the link from Groupon http://www.groupon.com/deals/gg-mitsubishi-1080p-3d-hd-projector-hc7900dw

And is now no longer available according to the page

There's a link in the Front Projector Deal for the Groupon.

BHPhoto also has it for $799 and I just pulled the trigger there since there is no tax for me. I feel like it might drop a little bit from here, but I'm getting antsy with the steep price drop in the past couple of months that it will be all sold out shortly and I'll be left wishing I had jumped on it.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/998615-REG/mitsubishi_hc7900dw_home_theater_3d.html

I plan on doing a hacked RF 3D E-Star setup since IR stuff seems to have plenty of disadvantages.

#225 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Varnadore  /t/1468460/mitsubishi-hc7900dw-owners-thread/210#post_24210163

What brand/model receivers are people using with this PJ?

Since purchase - about 8 months ago - the 7900 has experienced a couple dozen intermittent power losses. It's very unpredictable, sometimes going as long as 100 hours without any problems, sometimes twice in the same viewing session. The projector will just flick off (not power down properly), and then 20-30 seconds later the fan will come on for the cool down, like it's supposed to in the event of momentary power interruption, though there havn't been any power outages, and it's also plugged into a UPS that hasn't had to come on yet either. The Sony Black Pearl it's replaced never had a similar issue. But the Denon 3808 loses sound momentarily every time it happens as well, suggesting something in the HDMI connection could be triggering it, assuming when it happens some time of backfeed from the HDMI handshake isn't causing the AVR audio to cut out too. I can't ever repeat it, by replaying the same part of the film, were the power loss occured. But that doesn't necessarily mean anything either, as HDMI signal hiccups from layer changes and such, often don't repeat the second time through - though, that too was an extreme rarity with the Sony Black Pearl/Denon 3808 combo.

Mitsubishi thinks it's a PS3 or AVR setting issue, but they haven't been any help troubleshooting it beyond that, unable to do so much as suggest what settings to look at. As such, I've been pretty much in the dark, turning off this feature and that for the past 8 months, while getting the runaround from Mitsubishi customer support. It's happened once while playing a game on the PS3, but the problem has been overwhelmingly with BD movie playback (old and new releases). I thought I finally had it, between upgrading the Denon AVRs firmware (which had never been updated), switching from PS3 signal decoding to bitstreaming for AVR decoding (something I'd gotten away from about the time studios started watermarking their audio, as I began getting occasional popping sounds when bitstreaming at the time, but not from PCM, supposedly because the PS3's firmware was newer) and disabling any automatic internet connectivity when playing BDs. But after another 100 or so hours it's now started again and there's not really anything left to turn off that isn't integral to the systems performance. So, as Mitsubishi is reluctant to look into it until I've completely ruled out the other components in my system, I'm looking to upgrade AVRs, since the Denon would be the most likely culprit, if it's not a problem with the projector itself. It's probably not the best thing having a 3D capable PS3 and 3D capable projector, with a non-3D capable AVR in between anyway, even though I didn't buy the Mits for 3D.

My shortlist of AVRs include the Denon 4000, Onkyo 929 and 818, and Marantz 7008 for their support of Audyssey XT32. But anyone who's had experience with other models from those brands, successfully paired with this projector, would ease my mind too.

I'm using it with an Onkyo 808 and I have no complaints. It's outputting from there into a monoprice 1x2 HDMI splitter and then out to the Mits and a Samsung Plasma. No issues from either my HTPC or my PS4.

#226 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPS13  /t/1468460/mitsubishi-hc7900dw-owners-thread/210#post_24210425

There's a link in the Front Projector Deal for the Groupon.

BHPhoto also has it for $799 and I just pulled the trigger there since there is no tax for me. I feel like it might drop a little bit from here, but I'm getting antsy with the steep price drop in the past couple of months that it will be all sold out shortly and I'll be left wishing I had jumped on it.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/998615-REG/mitsubishi_hc7900dw_home_theater_3d.html

I plan on doing a hacked RF 3D E-Star setup since IR stuff seems to have plenty of disadvantages.

You will not be disappointed for sure. 799 is truely a bargain basement price. I gotten mine for 899. I am monitoring the lamp+housing prices on the net to see if there are fire sale soon. BHPhoto is selling for 349 and I hope to grab a unit at under 250 if possible.

I am using IR glasses now and it does interfere with the remotes. I am looking to embark on Estar RF setup soon.

Enjoy!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.