AVS Forum banner
103K views 1K replies 138 participants last post by  rekbones 
#1 ·
Well it seems like I'm the only one with this projector so I'm going to start an owner's thread. So far I love the projector. I did have some setup issues, where I had to turn off overscan in the ATI catalyst control center on my HTPC, change the HDMI setting to enhanced on the projector, and there is some plastic that came with the projector and I have no idea what it is for, but I love it! I upgraded from an HD1000U because of the whining color wheel. This projector is practically silent in econ mode and with my 95" screen that is plenty bright! I'm a big fan of frame interpolation so I have that turned on as well and it's very good on this projector. I haven't tried 3D yet, not sure if I will. Anyway, that's a start to this thread!

#1,003 ·
finally got some time to spend with the 7900 last nite... we watched various sports... nba playoff's, mets game, n Yankees... tho shut that off after 3innings...

projectin on a screen research acoustic 115'' 0.95 gain screen... the room is a bat cave, black ceiling, merlot walls, dark carpeting... 1st off its quiet, real quiet... we are sitting under the pj, and don't hear it at all... the brightness is ''ok''... I guess a bit more would be nice, but more then adequate ... colors look nice... overall very pleased, tho I would like a bit more sharpness... since I have not touched anything out of the box, I'm going to play a bit with the controls... overall for 800bucks delivered to my door, very happy

#1,004 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by paris401  /t/1468460/mitsubishi-hc7900dw-owners-thread/990#post_24651353

finally got some time to spend with the 7900 last nite... we watched various sports... nba playoff's, mets game, n Yankees... tho shut that off after 3innings...

projectin on a screen research acoustic 115'' 0.95 gain screen... the room is a bat cave, black ceiling, merlot walls, dark carpeting... 1st off its quiet, real quiet... we are sitting under the pj, and don't hear it at all... the brightness is ''ok''... I guess a bit more would be nice, but more then adequate ... colors look nice... overall very pleased, tho I would like a bit more sharpness... since I have not touched anything out of the box, I'm going to play a bit with the controls... overall for 800bucks delivered to my door, very happy

Where did you get it for that price?

#1,005 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by kopkiwi  /t/1468460/mitsubishi-hc7900dw-owners-thread/990#post_24658789

Where did you get it for that price?

bought it about 2 months ago from b and h... had it delivered to PA, so no tax, and was free shipping... I can only compare it to my old infocus 7205, and its a way better picture, and much quieter.. i'm going to fiddle with the various controls next time I'm at the beach in a week/two to try and get it a bit sharper/brighter, but for $800 its a no brainer

#1,006 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by paris401  /t/1468460/mitsubishi-hc7900dw-owners-thread/990#post_24658964

i'm going to fiddle with the various controls next time I'm at the beach in a week/two to try and get it a bit sharper/brighter, but for $800 its a no brainer

You can go +10 on contrast (without crushing whites) which will increase brightness 100 lumens or so. The price was crazy as I ended at $671 (shipped) when my credit card company refunded me the Meijer difference. By the way Meijer has super customer service. I called them and a rep researched the ad and sent me an email referencing the ad price and date while we were on the telephone. Great service!

#1,007 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R  /t/1468460/mitsubishi-hc7900dw-owners-thread/990#post_24659445

You can go +10 on contrast (without crushing whites) which will increase brightness 100 lumens or so. The price was crazy as I ended at $671 (shipped) when my credit card company refunded me the Meijer difference. By the way Meijer has super customer service. I called them and a rep researched the ad and sent me an email referencing the ad price and date while we were on the telephone. Great service!

the Meijer deal was the deal of the century... and top notch customer service... def a win-win

#1,009 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by kopkiwi  /t/1468460/mitsubishi-hc7900dw-owners-thread/990#post_24659946

God dam it that's a good deal. I feel so left out.

it was actually pretty shocking, I think I got it in the first day or 2 of the $799 sale as I assumed it would be gone within a few days... but they were available for nearly a month afterwards.

Apparently it was heavily discounted in the $999 range a few times in the months prior. I guess I would stop selling projectors too if demand was that low.

#1,010 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishtank  /t/1468460/mitsubishi-hc7900dw-owners-thread/990#post_24661084

it was actually pretty shocking, I think I got it in the first day or 2 of the $799 sale as I assumed it would be gone within a few days... but they were available for nearly a month afterwards.

Apparently it was heavily discounted in the $999 range a few times in the months prior. I guess I would stop selling projectors too if demand was that low.

The best deal I saw was $850 I think, but that included the 3D emitter and two-pair of glasses.

It's probably less of a demand thing than a Mitsubishi thing. Mitsubishi isn't the big player they once were. Their business model can't compete in many areas of electronics anymore - which is why they discontined their very highly regarded TV line when the market moved away from CRT. Rather than evolving, they more or less abandoned that sector of their business. For a while they specialized in the relatively small market looking for 80 inch and up displays, but I'm not sure if they even make those anymore. I think their HT projectors are basically somewhat repurposed data-projectors that were easily renovated and tweaked to open up the market for a while. But I imagine Epson and others have taken too much of that market for them to justify keeping it open anymore when their business model still seems to be based on the way things worked fifteen years ago.

I'm glad I bought a good extended warranty for my 7900 that promises to replace it with something comparable if it can't be repaired by the manufacturer, should it go bad in four years time again (Mits has already replaced it once due to the shut down problem, but so far everything is working fine with the refurb they sent me - knock on wood). It think it's a very good design for the money, even considering what I paid when it was on sale a year ago ($1800). Considering my last three projectors were much more pricey Sony SRXDs and a high end Marantz DLP, I question the build reliability and longevity of the Mits, but I'm sure it's made as well as most at this price point, probably better than the BenQ's based on what I've heard.

#1,013 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Sowden  /t/1468460/mitsubishi-hc7900dw-owners-thread/990#post_24664169

Not happy with your Epson Kopkiwi? I am still to start my renovations but I have been running the projector on the floor with my Elite screen and the picture brightness and sharpness is awesome. So thanks for putting me onto this projector and these forums. Pity you didn't manage to grab this deal :-(

LCD just not floating my boat.

Have the Epson up for sale.

#1,015 ·
Finally got to start using the projector this weekend. I was watching 5th Element when I started noticing that every couple of seconds the picture would stutter. I turned off the FRC and that seemed to stop the stuttering but the picture looked less fluid or less sharp. So I guess I kinda preferred the look of FRC, but the stuttering was driving me crazy. Anyone else have this issue?

#1,016 ·
What were you using for source, Blu Ray player, Cable/Sat or HTPC etc.? I have no issues with a Blu-ray player but my UVerse box is far from perfect. HTPC is also flawless with no stuttering or jerky pans.

#1,018 ·
I am using an HTPC. I believe it is set to 60hz. I set it to 24hz but the mouse was too slow. If the 24hz will fix it than I guess I can deal with the mouse issues. So with 24hz and FRC enabled you don't get any stutter? Why would 24hz and FRC cause no stutter while 60hz and FRC does?

#1,019 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by TViewer2000  /t/1468460/mitsubishi-hc7900dw-owners-thread/990#post_24691962

I am using an HTPC. I believe it is set to 60hz. I set it to 24hz but the mouse was too slow.
Obviously, I don't know what player you are using but with XBMC you can tell it to use the file's naive refresh rate during playback only.

#1,020 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R  /t/1468460/mitsubishi-hc7900dw-owners-thread/990#post_24692400

Obviously, I don't know what player you are using but with XBMC you can tell it to use the file's naive refresh rate during playback only.

I'm using TMT3. I think it uses whatever the refresh rate that the video driver is using. I'll try setting the desktop to 24hz and see what happens.

#1,022 ·
I have no issue with my Harmony 890 remote. Always turns on OK but does randomly fail to turn it off, most likely a delay not set long enough, I haven't played with it to try and fix it. I do wish I could get it to select the HDMI input as of now it will only toggle between HDMI 1 and 2.

#1,023 ·
I just ordered the 7900 used from b& H photo with 50 hours for $695 shipped to give to my son for his new house basement theater we are going to build soon. I will swap it with my Sony hw50 to do a few comparisons when i get it. I was going to get him a benq 1070 but for this great price i thought i will give this a try. There are no glasses or emitter however. I will go through this thread and try to find info on them. Did anyone here return one to B & H photo recently?

#1,024 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan webster  /t/1468460/mitsubishi-hc7900dw-owners-thread/1020#post_24758091

I just ordered the 7900 used from b& H photo with 50 hours for $695 shipped to give to my son for his new house basement theater we are going to build soon. I will swap it with my Sony hw50 to do a few comparisons when i get it. I was going to get him a benq 1070 but for this great price i thought i will give this a try. There are no glasses or emitter however. I will go through this thread and try to find info on them. Did anyone here return one to B & H photo recently?

Do you have a link to it used on BH? Or is it a one off item?

#1,025 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan webster  /t/1468460/mitsubishi-hc7900dw-owners-thread/1020#post_24758091

There are no glasses or emitter however.

Based on screen size and material you might not bother. I know with my 16:9 120 inch diagonal (reported 1.1 gain) 3D was a no go... far too dim.

#1,026 ·
It is no longer on the web site, i just checked. It was the only one they had. I am not sure about the 2 year warranty. I would have gladly paid alittle more for a new one, however they seem to be sold out everywhere. I will try to register it with mitsubishi when i get it and see what happens.

My screen is 110 1.3 gain. My sons room will only accommodate a 100" screen. For budget reasons ( i am paying for his system as a house warming present ) I may l get an elite 1.2 gain fixed screen from amazon, unless anyone has a better low cost suggestion.

My son does not really care about 3d as much as i do. When we watch a movie here together he usually would rather watch is 2d if both are available. It seems like a great pj for $700. I have owned lots of projectors, all of which cost 3 to 5 times more than this one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.