Newbie! Advice Needed! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 04-16-2013, 10:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So I a managed to talk my husband into letting me sell our 42" LCD flat screen and turn our basement living room into a projector space. I am working with a limited budget and need advice and expertise please! I have been looking at the Optoma HD20 or HD 23. Thoughts? Here are some details that might help get an idea of what I need.

I will be placing the projector in a room that has a window on the back wall and on the back corner. They are covered with wood slat blinds and when closed really darken the room, but not completely. Obviously at night it is completely dark. The walls are a deep tan with an off white ceiling and carpet. I have no idea how to gage if that is a lot of ambient light or not?

The wall that we are projecting on can fit comfortably up to a 100" screen. Possibly a little larger, but I know that 120" wont work. The room is 20ft long so the seating can be placed wherever would be best for viewing.

We'd like to use it to watch movies and TV. We have two little girls so there will be times we'd like to have some light on the in the room because movie time for them often turns into play time and they wander.

Am I on the right track? I'm sure there are better projectors/gear, but the budget is tight. I just don't want to regret or more importantly have my husband say I told you so.

Thanks so much in advance!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 04-17-2013, 02:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Benq w1070 is the best one under $1000, but it costs a bit more than the Optoma hd20. Every projector has pro's / con's. The Optoma hd20 is NOT a very bright projector and will not work good with ambient light. That said, viewing a projector in ambient light is not usually that great anyways, it's bareable in bright scenes as long as your light source isn't directly pointing at the screen, but overall it will be better in the dark.

The only issue with the Benq you might have is the FAN noise will be louder on the Benq since it is a short throw projector and will need to be mounted closer to the screen. How loud it will be depends how close you make the seating to the projector's mounting spot.

If you want something less costly, the 720p only Benq w710st is ON SALE at newegg right now, but again it's only 720p. Also, Newegg has an Open Box Viewsonic Pro8200, or you could grab the sub-$600 Viewsonic Pro8200 on Ebay.

Out of these choices, I would get the refurb Viewsonic Pro8200 from Ebay or the new Benq w1070, I wouldn't bother with 720p, though if you mostly watch TV, then the 720p - Benq w710st will be decent.

Whichever projector you decide on, well I would also buy an ND filter if you will be watching movies in darkness sometimes, because many of these projectors are going to be too bright on a 100" screen (the ND filter reduces brightness for comfort and you can swap it on/off the lens for ambient light vs. movie viewing in dark). The ND filters can be purchased for under $50.

Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

post #3 of 13 Old 04-17-2013, 03:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Best Buy has been getting rid of their inventory of the HD20 for $500 for the past few weeks.
post #4 of 13 Old 04-17-2013, 05:34 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by landlmama View Post

So I a managed to talk my husband into letting me sell our 42" LCD flat screen and turn our basement living room into a projector space. I am working with a limited budget and need advice and expertise please! I have been looking at the Optoma HD20 or HD 23. Thoughts? Here are some details that might help get an idea of what I need.

I will be placing the projector in a room that has a window on the back wall and on the back corner. They are covered with wood slat blinds and when closed really darken the room, but not completely. Obviously at night it is completely dark. The walls are a deep tan with an off white ceiling and carpet. I have no idea how to gage if that is a lot of ambient light or not?

The wall that we are projecting on can fit comfortably up to a 100" screen. Possibly a little larger, but I know that 120" wont work. The room is 20ft long so the seating can be placed wherever would be best for viewing.

We'd like to use it to watch movies and TV. We have two little girls so there will be times we'd like to have some light on the in the room because movie time for them often turns into play time and they wander.

Am I on the right track? I'm sure there are better projectors/gear, but the budget is tight. I just don't want to regret or more importantly have my husband say I told you so.

Thanks so much in advance!!

Let me get this straight- you had to talk your husband into getting a projector?eek.gif

You need to find a man worthy of you.wink.gif

XBL GT: deathpallie
post #5 of 13 Old 04-19-2013, 02:30 PM - Thread Starter

It might be too late, but taking the advice you've given me and looked around. Is this projector a good buy. It has 955 hours on it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ViewSonic-PRO8200-DLP-Projector-/130892183665?&maxbid=200.00&autorefresh=true

If so what is the max you'd pay for something like this?

Thank you!!!!
post #6 of 13 Old 04-20-2013, 10:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

It's a good price for only 955 hours on it, but if you are a NEW projector user, I'd be cautious about buying used in case the PJ has a defect and you don't realize it. Though it should be ok.
Looks like an OK deal.

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

post #7 of 13 Old 04-21-2013, 01:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I would add that if you do something like buying used, since the pro8200 comes with 3 year warranty, you might want to see if any remaining time on the warranty still exists and if they ever submitted a repair on the unit.
I know some people in the past bought used, and I suggested to them to ask the owner if they used the warranty in the past . You have to find out when and where they bought it, and check the manufacture date on bottom of the unit. If it was never registered and they can make a copy of the receipt you could register it and keep the reminding time on warranty.
Now, some units are manufacture refurbs, and might only have 90 days warranty, so ask about it.
Without warranty, like coderguy says, if you are newbie and the person doesn't live locally so you can check it out, you are taking a chance something could be wrong with it, and to fix these things is expensive.

p.s. I have not registered my pro8200, so if I decide to sell it, I can make a copy of my reciept and let the person know they still have 2 years of warranty on it.
post #8 of 13 Old 04-21-2013, 01:14 PM - Thread Starter

So now that I have sold our flat screen and am gearing up to actually make a purchase my husband has eased up on my budget a little bit. I think he is realizing (as am I) that trying to save a couple of hundred dollars isn't worth it if we are going to use this projector for years to come. So with an increase in budget I am now looking at the Epson 8350 or the Benq1070. Thoughts? We are still sticking to the under 1000, but it looks like I can find a new unrefurbished unit for both of these models right at $999. 3D would be a neat feature, but I'm not sure how much we will actually use it. We only have a standard blu-ray player and I'm not really well informed on the amount of 3D options other than buying specific movies, ect with the 3D feature.

There is so much information out there it is hard to weed through it all.

Thanks so much for all the replies!! smile.gif
post #9 of 13 Old 04-21-2013, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonyad View Post

Best Buy has been getting rid of their inventory of the HD20 for $500 for the past few weeks.
Can you please tell me where you found this ? Was unable to locate it on their website.
post #10 of 13 Old 04-21-2013, 04:40 PM
Advanced Member

Go to Best Buy.com. Select store locator. Enter your zip code and choose whatever store you want. Select the open box & clearance items tab and shop the store you selected. The first category listed is Theater & TV. Select that, then select projectors & screens. You will now see the projector inventory for the store you selected. What's more, when you hit the change store button, you will see just the projector inventory of any other stores your you select.
post #11 of 13 Old 04-21-2013, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonyad View Post

Go to Best Buy.com. Select store locator. Enter your zip code and choose whatever store you want. Select the open box & clearance items tab and shop the store you selected. The first category listed is Theater & TV. Select that, then select projectors & screens. You will now see the projector inventory for the store you selected. What's more, when you hit the change store button, you will see just the projector inventory of any other stores your you select.
Very cool and perfect instructions, thank you. I can't find any HD20s near me, but thank you again, this is a useful way of searching.
post #12 of 13 Old 04-21-2013, 10:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by landlmama View Post

So now that I have sold our flat screen and am gearing up to actually make a purchase my husband has eased up on my budget a little bit. I think he is realizing (as am I) that trying to save a couple of hundred dollars isn't worth it if we are going to use this projector for years to come. So with an increase in budget I am now looking at the Epson 8350 or the Benq1070. Thoughts? We are still sticking to the under 1000, but it looks like I can find a new unrefurbished unit for both of these models right at $999. 3D would be a neat feature, but I'm not sure how much we will actually use it. We only have a standard blu-ray player and I'm not really well informed on the amount of 3D options other than buying specific movies, ect with the 3D feature.

There is so much information out there it is hard to weed through it all.

Thanks so much for all the replies!! smile.gif

The Benq w1070 has a better image than the Epson. All you need to do is to buy the Benq and shoot it to a white wall at first until you decide on what screen size and what not. Newegg had the w1070 for 899 I think, but not sure if they still do.

post #13 of 13 Old 04-23-2013, 07:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboForum View Post

Very cool and perfect instructions, thank you. I can't find any HD20s near me, but thank you again, this is a useful way of searching.

I'm glad I could offer some useful info.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page