LG PA75U -Anybody else own one of LG's Abandoned Children? - Page 12 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #331 of 431 Old 12-20-2013, 12:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by XfmrEngr View Post

That is exactly what I am seeing. I'm so surprised that there is so little about this on the Internet.

I couldn't find a single thing on it when I first got the BenQ W1070. Luckily many on these forums know DLP inside and out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #332 of 431 Old 12-20-2013, 02:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 162
Sometimes it's there (visible) and sometimes it's not, varies by make/model. wink.gif

Jason
CharlesZ7 likes this.

My Twitch Game Stream [PS4/Xone/PC]...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #333 of 431 Old 12-21-2013, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGamePimp View Post

Sometimes it's there (visible) and sometimes it's not, varies by make/model. wink.gif

Jason

If it's not on all DLP projectors then it's not a DLP thing. I didn't see it on the Vivitek Q2 or Q5, Optoma ML550 or PK201 or 320, or the AAXA P300. I do see it on the LG PA75U.

I assumed it was the Auto Keystone setting, but when I get home, I turn that off to see if that makes a difference.

UPDATE: I just turned off Auto Keystone and there are still thin bands on the sides. I haven't seen this with any other DLP projectors.
post #334 of 431 Old 12-21-2013, 01:33 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHampster View Post

If it's not on all DLP projectors then it's not a DLP thing. I didn't see it on the Vivitek Q2 or Q5, Optoma ML550 or PK201 or 320, or the AAXA P300. I do see it on the LG PA75U.
It's definitely not a "DLP thing". Not at all present on my HD131Xe either.

I know somebody in this thread said it must be since he saw it on the 3 models of DLP projectors he saw, but that doesn't automatically make it true for 100% of DLP projectors...

Anyway, you could probably compensate for that border by using a trim around your screen and zooming until your border hits the trim. I don't think it's a big deal, but may be to some.

Current HT setup:

Samsung UN65F6300 65" LCD HDTV, Polk CS20 Center, 2x Polk Monitor 75T Fronts, 2x Polk TSI300 Backs, Polk PSW110 Subwoofer.

post #335 of 431 Old 12-21-2013, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodaboy581 View Post

It's definitely not a "DLP thing". Not at all present on my HD131Xe either.

Doesn't mean it is NOT a dlp thing at all. It may very well be a DLP thing and some manufacturers compensate for it and others do not. Just because some models/manufacturers don't have it doesn't mean it isn't related to the DLP technology.

All we know for certain is that some models have it and some do not, and the ones that have it seem to all be DLP.
post #336 of 431 Old 12-21-2013, 03:09 PM

Found a little information on DLP "light leakage" — not your normal brand of light leaking.
Quote:
Some people may also experience “light leakage” from their DLP projector in the form of a grey band around the outside of the image. This is caused by stray light reflecting off the edges of the mirrors on the DLP chip. This can be avoided by installing black borders around the screen. Again, light leakage is generally only a problem in older DLP projectors.

Source: BambooAV

That's good enough for me.
post #337 of 431 Old 12-21-2013, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesZ7 View Post

Found a little information on DLP "light leakage" — not your normal brand of light leaking.
Source: BambooAV

Some people may also experience “light leakage” from their DLP projector in the form of a grey band around the outside of the image. This is caused by stray light reflecting off the edges of the mirrors on the DLP chip. This can be avoided by installing black borders around the screen. Again, light leakage is generally only a problem in older DLP projectors. (emphasis added)

I suspect that the phenomenon with the LG PA75U is unrelated to the light leakage BambooAV describes.  First, this is LG's recent technology. Second, at least from what I'm seeing, the band is not uniform in size (thin on the sides and thick on the top and bottom), yet it is very uniform in brightness. That's not what I would expect to see from light scattering off the edges of the mirrors.

post #338 of 431 Old 12-21-2013, 04:38 PM

(duplicate post - sorry)
post #339 of 431 Old 12-21-2013, 05:59 PM

Quote:

I suspect that the phenomenon with the LG PA75U is unrelated to the light leakage BambooAV describes.  First, this is LG's recent technology. Second, at least from what I'm seeing, the band is not uniform in size (thin on the sides and thick on the top and bottom), yet it is very uniform in brightness. That's not what I would expect to see from light scattering off the edges of the mirrors.

It ought to be uniform in size. Maybe you have something other than 1280x800 resolution set? When in TV mode it usually is not in its native resolution thus the top and bottom have extra space. With HDMI set to 1280x800 resolution it's uniform in size. If you are getting something other than uniform size then I'm not sure what it is.

As far as "older dlp". . . it doesn't seem like that's the case, rather brand/model.
post #340 of 431 Old 12-23-2013, 11:16 AM

Liked: 10
Hi all,

For that own this how did you manage to mount it with that brick of a power supply? I mounted mine this weekend but havent snaked the wires yet. Still wondering what to do with the power supply block. Is there a longer cord that can be purchased? Thanks for help in advance.
post #341 of 431 Old 12-23-2013, 03:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Currently with the set up I have I have a square 1 inch peice of metal about 3 feet long I use as a mount to hang my projector from a bookcase behind the couch and I have to power supply wire running along that.
I use zip ties to hang the power supply wire to that metal rod.
post #342 of 431 Old 12-27-2013, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLPProjectorfan View Post

Currently with the set up I have I have a square 1 inch peice of metal about 3 feet long I use as a mount to hang my projector from a bookcase behind the couch and I have to power supply wire running along that.
I use zip ties to hang the power supply wire to that metal rod.

I have it in my basement on a 10 ft ceiling so that setup wouldn't work for me. I think i'm gioing to have to snake it through my ceilings and mount the power block on the back wall. Nothing else I can really do since they designed it this way. Can't put the power block in the ceiling due to obvious fire hazards.
post #343 of 431 Old 12-27-2013, 07:38 AM

How do you guys have your sound setup? I realize it just has a headphone audio jack out. Currently I am using that output and have it connected to my older receiver which does not have HDMI. Question is once I buy a new reciever with HDMI will I be able to have 5.1 or 7.1 sound through the HDMI? I plan on connecting all my devices via HDMI to the reciever and then having the receiver output to the projector. Thanks for the help!
post #344 of 431 Old 12-28-2013, 11:19 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Does the pa75u have a hidden dynamic-iris/backlight setting? I know there's dynamic contrast, but that doesn't affect the backlight, it just increases the intrascene contrast on scenes that are subdued or dark.

I mostly ask because I finally was able to test the on/off contrast of the pa75u and found it severely short of LG's 15,000:1 claim. It tested out to roughly 950:1, in a pitchblack room, with a full black (no dancing pixels) screen compared to an overexposed white screen. Even taking the black reading in low power mode and the white reading in maximum backlight mode only bumped it up to 1,500:1. If I had a particularly nonuniform brightness and also took dark at the dullest corner and white at brightest bottom center (hypothetocal) I might be able to further double the CR to 3,000:1, but that's still only 1/5 of what LG claims! The readings were taken several times and seem to match what my eyes are telling me compared side-by-side to a similar appearing projector that later showed to have a CR of 1,000:1 (though Aaxa claims 2,000:1). If I can't even cheat the CR to be closer than 1/5 of what LG claims, then how in the world did THEY manage to pull such a figure? Can anyone else with this pj post some test results so I can know if I've gone crazy?

Simple
, build in a day, takedown in an hour.
post #345 of 431 Old 12-28-2013, 10:42 PM
Advanced Member

The audio jack for the PA75U is just a stereo jack so there is no way to get 5.1 or 7.1 out from the projector.
That's what I can't figure out why in 2013 LG didn't decide to even out in a S/PDIF audio out or even through the HDMI ARC.
What I did is take the Stereo out from the projector and use a really cheap Sub and surrounds from Walmart that simulates surrond and I am happy with that.
Perhaps that new receiver might have a way to simulate surround if you have a strereo signal going out to it.
Now ? that projector can receive HDMI in and most likely it's true surround 5.1 or 7.1 which ? I still can't figure why LG did that.
On their new PF80G and PF85U projectors they added ARC audio return channel back to the receiver through HDMI and they added a optical S/PDIF port.
post #346 of 431 Old 12-28-2013, 10:52 PM
Advanced Member

No, your not going crazy, what LG claims and that goes with most projector companies, what they claim and what actually is are 2 different things.
Their claims of 1000 Lumens ? take it with a grain of salt.
Same thing with the contrast, take their claims of contrast with a grain of salt.
Enjoy what you have, because better one's will be coming out next year.
post #347 of 431 Old 12-29-2013, 06:05 AM
Advanced Member

But brightness number fudging makes sense and follows a pattern. Usually a projector will get around 80% of claimed brightest mode (but looks blue or greenish) and calibrating can take it down another 20-60%..but it makes sense. This 15,000:1 doesn't make any sense, a broken meter couldn't push it up that high! The PF80/85 is claiming some ridiculous 100,000:1 nonsense or something similar and there's literally no reason to expect it to be even a little better, not as long as companies have free reign to simply pull numbers out of a hat for certain specs.

I am very happy with the pa75u though. I wanted an LED lit projector with a simple audio option, a cable/antennae, and USB reader that was brighter than my current mini, and I got it. My only real complaint is the short stop on the focus wheel. I took it apart and found that it was more that just a gear-tooth-stop that could be sanded out..I do wish I could achieve good focus farther out.

Simple
post #348 of 431 Old 12-29-2013, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ftoast View Post

But brightness number fudging makes sense and follows a pattern. Usually a projector will get around 80% of claimed brightest mode (but looks blue or greenish) and calibrating can take it down another 20-60%..but it makes sense. This 15,000:1 doesn't make any sense, a broken meter couldn't push it up that high! The PF80/85 is claiming some ridiculous 100,000:1 nonsense or something similar and there's literally no reason to expect it to be even a little better, not as long as companies have free reign to simply pull numbers out of a hat for certain specs.

Advertised contrast ratios are a joke in the industry.

Here's a good article about it: http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-20066138-1/contrast-ratio-or-how-every-tv-manufacturer-lies-to-you/
post #349 of 431 Old 12-29-2013, 11:38 AM
Advanced Member

I've read and agree with that article, the abuse of dynamic iris/backlight contrast and the lack of posted native CR numbers are good points in there. Wait, now that you mention it, even using a dynamic iris shouldn't be resulting in 100,000:1 numbers..those that do are more likely still in the 10,000:1 ballpark. This LG doesn't even use a dynamic backlight to exploit numbers from, they just pulled out an arbitrary joke figure. That or they burned out an LED getting their high-end.

The worst part is, I know I'd be VERY happy with an honest to goodness 3000:1. Heck, even 2000:1 in real life is good enough for every movie theater running a digital Runco, NEC, or Christie (aka basically every current theater that isn't still using film or that super rare Sony).

I wish there was a large independent test pool to dig through. I hate knowing my next upgrade will be a hard fought series of finding a PJ that can actually be returned for full credit, buying, testing, and returning/repeating until something decent shows up. Grumblegrumble

Simple
post #350 of 431 Old 12-29-2013, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 557
When I am on the market for a display, I look for calibration reports from AVS ISF calibrators, and then go from there. ChadB's report on my 70" Sharp is a good chunck of the reason I bought it (insert Cleveland Plasma plug here for giving me a great deal)

Once I am ready to jump on a projector, ISF calibration reports will be one of my early stops in narrowing down my options.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Include your AVS username in the friend request.
post #351 of 431 Old 12-29-2013, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ftoast View Post

I wish there was a large independent test pool to dig through. I hate knowing my next upgrade will be a hard fought series of finding a PJ that can actually be returned for full credit, buying, testing, and returning/repeating until something decent shows up. Grumblegrumble

Luckily, these days we have the internet and can usually find most anything reviewed pretty thoroughly, unless we go for some no-name brand.
post #352 of 431 Old 12-30-2013, 02:00 PM

Quote:

It ought to be uniform in size. Maybe you have something other than 1280x800 resolution set? When in TV mode it usually is not in its native resolution thus the top and bottom have extra space. With HDMI set to 1280x800 resolution it's uniform in size. If you are getting something other than uniform size then I'm not sure what it is.

As far as "older dlp". . . it doesn't seem like that's the case, rather brand/model.

I see it with multiple inputs, including TV. I think what I'm seeing might be different from what others are seeing and describing as light leakage so I can't really comment on whether the LG PA75U exhibits this phenomenon. Either way, as you said, it could be certain brands or models that have this problem, based on issues with DLP, that other brands or models were able to eliminate.

I am starting to find other shortcomings with this projector, though I still think it's a keeper --  maybe. The bluetooth module will not transmit to a bluetooth speaker, although the bluetooth delay can detract from a good movie experience anyway. The remote server loses its connection frequently. Surprisingly, its a 3D projector that doesn't offer any 3D movie rental services, like Netflix. But I may keep it because for the price it's very good and perhaps the only projector that has a built-in tuner, making it very easy to move around the house.

post #353 of 431 Old 12-30-2013, 02:33 PM

Quote:

I see it with multiple inputs, including TV. I think what I'm seeing might be different from what others are seeing and describing as light leakage so I can't really comment on whether the LG PA75U exhibits this phenomenon. Either way, as you said, it could be certain brands or models that have this problem, based on issues with DLP, that other brands or models were able to eliminate.

Try this. Go to the TV mode and set the aspect ratio to "full." That should stretch the picture to the native resolution of 1280x800. At that point there should be a very faint "border" that's the same size on all sides. This "border" will show up regardless of input, and you will get additional "letter box" (top & bottom) with this projector whenever the image/picture is not 1280/800 which is nearly all the time smile.gif

If you are seeing something else, I'm lost as to what it could be.
post #354 of 431 Old 12-30-2013, 03:50 PM
Advanced Member

I have only found two reviewers that even take brightness tests, and I haven't seen any projector reviews that include a contrast measurement. I'll definitely have to check out the section mentioned above.

Simple
post #355 of 431 Old 01-04-2014, 07:13 AM

Liked: 11

I've had mine now for a couple of months or so.. the PA75U.  I still love this projector.  I know some of you are going on about the downfalls of this projector, but I thought I'd throw my 2 cents in on it to explain...

I could have bought the PA75G...  Pretty much the same projector, without the digital tuner and without full 3d support (only PC 3d).

• Digital Tuner - I don't use it.  I have everything connected to a receiver that then connects to the projector.  I did try the digital tuner a few times with the included HD antenna and it works fine but is not why I bought this projector. 
  • Speakers - any projector that has speakers is a plus to me, but not needed.  If you're going to tote it around from room to room it's a nice feature but they are speakers built into a projector..  not a fancy surround system, so you really can't expect much as far as sound quality.
  • Bluetooth - The bluetooth is only for the included smart remote (works like a wii controller in a way).  Not for anything else, and was never meant for anything else.  Yeah it would be great if they opened it up to allow connectivity to bluetooth speakers, etc, but it was never meant to do this in the first place.  The remote will stop working if you leave it idle for a few seconds.  To me that's a plus to conserve battery life in the remote.  Just pick it back up and move it around for it to regain connectivity.  Because of the smart remote, I've never even used the other regular remote that comes with it.  The Smart remote makes it easy to do anything I need to do with it.
  • Brightness/Contrast - I do not have any metering equipment to verify the actual lumens, etc..  but I can say that this projector looks great in my home theater.  I'm not trying to adjust everything (and I will say that this projector has every kind of adjustment you would ever need) to get the 'perfect picture'.  I just adjusted to get a picture I was happy with.  And I'm extremely happy.  Since I use it for movies and gaming in my theater room, being LED is a godsend.
  • 3D - One of the reasons why I bought this projector.  It supports all forms of 3D viewing...  And works perfectly.  No matter which format I choose for 3D, I've not experienced any ghosting, etc at all.  I even bought the cheapest Sainsonic 3D DLP glasses I could find... 5 pair.  and they work perfect.
  • Resolution - The native resolution of this projector is 1280x800...  not 1280x720.  So the digital tuner and menus are in the native resolution.  My receiver only supports standard HD resolutions, so the OSD for my receiver doesn't show on the native resolution of the projector.  This is the only downfall of the projector (or my receiver).  I leave mine in 1280x720 so I can see my volume levels, etc when adjusting the receiver.
  • Edge Light Leakage - At least on mine, I've not experienced it at all.  I am projecting on a screen I built myself with blackout cloth and have not even put a border of felt or black velvet or anything else on it.

I had to edit this to include that I am projecting roughly a 114" image.  I am not at the end of the focus adjustment either.  Maybe I got a good one.  I do not have the focus problems that others have commented about.

There are downfalls with every projector, but I was looking for a biggest bang for my buck projector.  I definitely got it.  For a $500 HD projector with LED lighting, Full 3D support, and plenty of lumens for great movie and gaming experiences, there was nothing else out there that could touch it and I'm completely satisfied with it.  It is ceiling mounted in my theater room so it stays there and doesn't get moved around.  If you wanted a projector that could output HD, output surround sound, has bluetooth connectivity, outputs a bazillion LED lumen, etc then you are way out of your price range.

post #356 of 431 Old 01-05-2014, 06:18 PM
Advanced Member

Yeah bluetooth just for the remote ?
Come on LG this is 2014.
Could have make it so you can hook up a decent pair of simulated surround sound head phones, or key board to operate the web browsers, what else ? speakers.
To be honest ? unless you have to actually needs internal speakers because you don't have none I see no reason to put speakers inside a projector where the speaker vibrations could cause problems with the DLP chip or circult board.
Also ? LG ? save the money and do away with the old RCA port tech, unless thats all you have to hook up ? no one bothers to use that anyone so whats the point of even putting it in a projector.
ARC through HDMI would have been nice or even S/PDIF optical.
Come on LG ? a 3.5 stereo audio out to your receiever ? this is 2014.
post #357 of 431 Old 01-07-2014, 03:34 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLPProjectorfan View Post

Yeah bluetooth just for the remote ?
Come on LG this is 2014.
Could have make it so you can hook up a decent pair of simulated surround sound head phones, or key board to operate the web browsers, what else ? speakers.
To be honest ? unless you have to actually needs internal speakers because you don't have none I see no reason to put speakers inside a projector where the speaker vibrations could cause problems with the DLP chip or circult board.
Also ? LG ? save the money and do away with the old RCA port tech, unless thats all you have to hook up ? no one bothers to use that anyone so whats the point of even putting it in a projector.
ARC through HDMI would have been nice or even S/PDIF optical.
Come on LG ? a 3.5 stereo audio out to your receiever ? this is 2014.

I'm with you on all this, but for a $500 projector?  I'm glad they included what they did...  For what it is and has, it does a pretty great job.  Perfect for my family that uses it on a daily basis for hours on end..

post #358 of 431 Old 01-08-2014, 07:53 AM

Hi all,

I have a question regarding hooking up surround sound with this receiver. Admittedly I am a novice when it comes to this projector and or home theater in general. I know it does not have ARC or optical. I just purchased a 7.2 channel Sony receiver specifically the STRDH740. I plan on running all my equipment via HDMI through this receiver and then connecting one HDMI cable to the projector. Can I disable the external speakers on the projectors? Most importantly will I get 5.1 surround sound with my receiver since I will be using the projector only to project my picture and not for sound. So basically with me connecting my equipment to the receiver will the sound be handled by the receiver and the picture by the projector? I keep reading about the 3.5 audio jack as the only sound option with this projector however I dont' plan on using the tuner or any of the built in apps. I will only use it via the equipment I hook up to my receiver. I hope its not to confusing lol.. thanks in advance!
post #359 of 431 Old 01-08-2014, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by morphwvu View Post

Can I disable the external speakers on the projectors?

Most importantly will I get 5.1 surround sound with my receiver since I will be using the projector only to project my picture and not for sound. So basically with me connecting my equipment to the receiver will the sound be handled by the receiver and the picture by the projector?

I keep reading about the 3.5 audio jack as the only sound option with this projector however I don't plan on using the tuner or any of the built in apps. I will only use it via the equipment I hook up to my receiver. I hope its not to confusing lol.. thanks in advance!

Use "mute" to disable the projector's speakers. However, your Sony receiver has a setting to send audio to the amp speakers (connected to the receiver) only or to the speakers + "TV" (the projector). If you select amp speakers only — I think it may read "amp" but it is in the manual — then the receiver will NOT send sound to the projector via HDMI, and you will NOT need to mute the projector's speakers.

The receiver will produce whatever surround sound is sent to it via your bluray, HTPC, etc. If the source material is in 5.1 it will output 5.1 unless you set it to convert 5.1 to 7.1.. . . etc. Though I don't know if that particular receiver converts surround sound to other versions, that will all in in your manual.

The audio jack on the projector ONLY sends audio out from the projector which you will NOT be doing. Therefore, it doesn't really concern your setup at all.
post #360 of 431 Old 01-08-2014, 09:36 AM

Quote:

Use "mute" to disable the projector's speakers. However, your Sony receiver has a setting to send audio to the amp speakers (connected to the receiver) only or to the speakers + "TV" (the projector). If you select amp speakers only — I think it may read "amp" but it is in the manual — then the receiver will NOT send sound to the projector via HDMI, and you will NOT need to mute the projector's speakers.

The receiver will produce whatever surround sound is sent to it via your bluray, HTPC, etc. If the source material is in 5.1 it will output 5.1 unless you set it to convert 5.1 to 7.1.. . . etc. Though I don't know if that particular receiver converts surround sound to other versions, that will all in in your manual.

The audio jack on the projector ONLY sends audio out from the projector which you will NOT be doing. Therefore, it doesn't really concern your setup at all.

THANK YOU!!! Much appreciated for the quick reply.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Lg Pa75u Dlp Home Theater Projector

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page