LG PA75U -Anybody else own one of LG's Abandoned Children? - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

post #361 of 443 Old 01-08-2014, 11:09 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 34
I think ? but don't take my word on it that the only things that would effect sound on the LGPA70G or PA75U is if you want sound from the TV tuner or if you have video on the USB drive.
Other than that ? run all your audio directly to your receiever from either a cable box, TV box, blueray player, PS3, PS4, computer.
Other than watching TV from the projector's TV tuner or watching any video from a USB drive then there is no point it listening to the audio from it since you can run all your other audio directly to your receiver.
That's one of the reason's why some of us got excited when LG introduced the LG PF80G with ARC through HDMI and a S/PDIF optical, and a Ethernet port.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 443 Old 01-10-2014, 03:45 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by morphwvu View Post

THANK YOU!!! Much appreciated for the quick reply.

This is exactly how I have this projector.  I have everything going to my receiver, then ouput video through hdmi to the projector.  I have the volume on the projector speakers turned down all the way.  Works like a charm. 

post #363 of 443 Old 01-26-2014, 02:44 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 18
These are $319 at amazon... basically an impulse buy for me, this thing plays mkvs off of harddrivers, perfect portable little projector. Bought one for a friend too, in case he wants to buy it off of me wink.gif

www.amazon.com/LG-Electronics-PA75U-Projector-Resolution/dp/B00C13ON7K/?tag=slickdealslgpa75u-20
post #364 of 443 Old 01-26-2014, 06:12 AM

Liked: 10
I just got my Lg pa75u a few days ago and I'm still playing with the pictue setting. I can't find any better setting than the standard and vivid setting. The black color is not as black as I wanted. I project it on a white wall. Could anybody share your calibration setting? Thanks.
post #365 of 443 Old 01-26-2014, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teddy0890 View Post

I just got my Lg pa75u a few days ago and I'm still playing with the picture setting. I can't find any better setting than the standard and vivid setting. The black color is not as black as I wanted. I project it on a white wall. Could anybody share your calibration setting? Thanks.
post #366 of 443 Old 01-26-2014, 10:35 AM

What difference does having HDMI 1.4 make as apose to having HDMI 1.3?

post #367 of 443 Old 01-26-2014, 04:37 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:

I just got my Lg pa75u a few days ago and I'm still playing with the pictue setting. I can't find any better setting than the standard and vivid setting. The black color is not as black as I wanted. I project it on a white wall. Could anybody share your calibration setting? Thanks.
here is a post of mine from a couple of months ago, hope it helps you need to get a color filter, they have them in this Blu-ray Digital Video Essentials: HD Basics Blu-ray. you can try a few of my settings ,but not sure it will help. I use expert mode, contrast 90, brightness, 65, color 48, tint to the green 3+ vertical and horizontal both 75. now the expert part I have the gamma 2.2 , color temp warm, cinema smooth(I think that's the name) is on ,but I don't really see a difference when it's off. black level is low, in the individual settings for color I turned my blue color down -6 . of course every projector will be slightly different and having the color filter will help for best results. I will post the rest of the settings for you tomorrow as I am heading to bed ,but I know those ones for sure and will post the complete list for you tomorrow, hope this helps. you should not be getting a soap opera effect I don't have that I mine with directv hd or Blu-ray oh here is a pic of mine.
teddy0890 likes this.
post #368 of 443 Old 01-27-2014, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigdaddye View Post

here is a post of mine from a couple of months ago, hope it helps you need to get a color filter, they have them in this Blu-ray Digital Video Essentials: HD Basics Blu-ray. you can try a few of my settings ,but not sure it will help. I use expert mode, contrast 90, brightness, 65, color 48, tint to the green 3+ vertical and horizontal both 75. now the expert part I have the gamma 2.2 , color temp warm, cinema smooth(I think that's the name) is on ,but I don't really see a difference when it's off. black level is low, in the individual settings for color I turned my blue color down -6 . of course every projector will be slightly different and having the color filter will help for best results. I will post the rest of the settings for you tomorrow as I am heading to bed ,but I know those ones for sure and will post the complete list for you tomorrow, hope this helps. you should not be getting a soap opera effect I don't have that I mine with directv hd or Blu-ray oh here is a pic of mine.
Thanks. I've already tried ur setting before. About the horizontal and vertical setting, you set them 75 but the maximum number that I could find in the setting for them is 50. Is there any other setting for this?
post #369 of 443 Old 01-27-2014, 04:59 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:

Thanks. I've already tried ur setting before. About the horizontal and vertical setting, you set them 75 but the maximum number that I could find in the setting for them is 50. Is there any other setting for this?
it's probably because I have the pa70 and you have the pa75 so your settings might be a bit different then mine. sorry I couldn't help more maybe someone with a pa75 can help more, I thought they were pretty much the same projector except the 75 does 3d with stand alone player were the 70 can only play 3d from a pc. good luck
teddy0890 likes this.
post #370 of 443 Old 01-28-2014, 07:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 323 Post(s)
Liked: 182
Quote:

How dark is the room when you're using it, and what input/s are you using?
I'd suggest a starting point of turning cinema motion and smooth motion OFF and turning black level to LOW unless you're using the LG as a computer monitor.

I have brightness at 52-55 (higher when gamma is higher), contrast 98-100, color 45-50, sharpness 10-25, tint 0-5R.

In advanced I'll turn all the effects OFF unless I need Dynamic Contrast on MEDIUM (and color turned up by 15-20 to compensate) in a bright lit room. 2.2-2.4/medium-high gamma is okay in the dark while 1.9/low works well in a brighter room. I've been using white balance WARM, but PURITY is nice if you prefer a colder image.
teddy0890 likes this.

Simple <$250 dedicated black-fabric theater room, build in a day, takedown in an hour.
Easy $25-40 DIY black/dark-grey ambient-light rejecting screen, grab two things from a local store..mix..roll..done.
post #371 of 443 Old 01-29-2014, 02:08 AM

I use the projector in a dark room with hdmi input which is connected to an hd player.
post #372 of 443 Old 01-29-2014, 06:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Be sure to make all these adjustments AFTER you've plugged in and chosen your hdmi input, otherwise you can end up adjusting picture settings for the wrong input and it won't help your hdmi at all. Set BLACK LEVEL to LOW (because your player will be a 16-235 source rather than a 0-255).

The easiest way to make sure you're blacks will be as dark as they can get is to find a movie with black bars and adjust the BRIGHTNESS control while standing fairly close to the screen. Watching the black bars, you'll see them eventually turn all sparkly looking as you turn up the brightness. Turn it down by one click just enough that the glitter goes away.

Next, your contrast setting on the pa75u can usually be pushed right up at or near max.

BTW, an easy way to tell if you should be using BLACK LEVEL LOW or HIGH; using that black bar method to set BRIGHTNESS so blacks don't sparkle should result in a setting near 50-55. If you're ending up in the 30's or 70's, change your BLACK LEVEL to the other setting.
teddy0890 likes this.

Simple <$250 dedicated black-fabric theater room, build in a day, takedown in an hour.
Easy $25-40 DIY black/dark-grey ambient-light rejecting screen, grab two things from a local store..mix..roll..done.
post #373 of 443 Old 02-16-2014, 11:10 PM

Hello Guys,

I need some help. While setting up the projector to the mount. Screwed up few things.

1) The remote for some reason seems to be not working other than the power button in remote. What ever keys I press in remote it does to picture settings menu. Any scroll or volume doesn't work. Tried a power drain for the remote with batteries out, still same issues. Battery is new as the setup is used for less than a month.
2) While trying to connect the headphone to the headphone jack of the projector, the 3.5mm stereo male pin is half broken and stuck inside the socket of the projector. With this the speaker inside the projector is disabled as it thought headphone is still in. Anyways to get the sound back in to the projector speaker?
3) The picture on the screen is slightly pointing to the right. How can I adjust the picture settings so that I can trim the video (HDMI input source) so that it is with in the screen. I need to cut the right side to 3-4inches. Nothing possible from the wall mount other than reducing the distance between lens and screen, but this will reduce the size of the image heavily.

Please help. Is there a way we can reset the remote, now i'm using the front buttons int he projector for navigation.
post #374 of 443 Old 02-17-2014, 02:00 AM
AVS Special Member

The "magic" Bluetooth remote should still work well even when the normal one is going crazy. I've had a few remotes go nuts in a few rooms for the last few months but the wiimote style second remote for the pa75u is still working normally. I don't know what could fix the regular remote though.

post #375 of 443 Old 02-17-2014, 07:37 PM

yesterday I bought new set of batteries to check the last option. Still the same issue with the new batteries.

Finally a technician inspected the remote, he said the assembly for remote is poorly done. There are no screws for the remote, he took the batteries and cover out, banged the remote to the couch couple of times, took the keypad and everything out, put them all back together, all in a matter of 3-4mins. From then it started to work. Still I couldn't believe my eyes, I should check for couple of days to see if the issue is completely resolved. The build quality of the LG products is really bad.

For the clot in headphone socket, he opened the cover and inserted the needle from other end and took the part out. Now the sound is back from speaker.

Looks like LG prepared a graphical drawing for its plant workers to assemble the parts. Like pictorial representation of a automobile car user manual. Really pathetic.

Think twice before buying LG again.
post #376 of 443 Old 02-18-2014, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Agreed, I took my pa75u apart to see if the focal range could be extended by removing a simple blocked tooth or similar. Once I opened it up (barely without cracking anything) I discovered it beyond my simple abilities and found it almost harder to pop back together from the way the body has to jam itself against the lense to fit back on.

I wish a different company had a similarly priced model with such quiet fans, competing brightness, a cable tuner, and CMS/gamma/etc..controls.

post #377 of 443 Old 02-19-2014, 08:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I'm guessing that the low quality optics and lack of a zoom lens on LG's current LED models is because they don't want to undermine the sales their higher end units. An affordable 1200 to 2000 Lumen model with these options would be a home theater owners wet dream. My guess is we will see an LED 1080p model with good optics in the 1500.00 to 2000.00 in the not so distant future. - Bohanna
post #378 of 443 Old 02-19-2014, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ftoast View Post

The "magic" Bluetooth remote should still work well even when the normal one is going crazy. I've had a few remotes go nuts in a few rooms for the last few months but the wiimote style second remote for the pa75u is still working normally. I don't know what could fix the regular remote though.

Thanks Ftoast, can you help me with point3 in my post?
3) The picture on the screen is slightly pointing to the right. How can I adjust the picture settings so that I can trim the video (HDMI input source) so that it is with in the screen. I need to cut the right side to 3-4inches. Nothing possible from the wall mount other than reducing the distance between lens and screen, but this will reduce the size of the image heavily.
I would like to know how to adjust picture where I want to adjust the horizontal position. Slightly it should be off to left (drag) by 4-6inches. What is XMBC? I have read the user manual and its not clear to me. If there is an option, is it similar to USB and HDMI inputs? My old CRT monitor even has the option to drag images to left-right or up and down. This projector doesn't have. They should have hard keys like in computer LCD monitors to resolve this issue.
Even the Wifi direct is not working as per manual. My tablet Samsung T311 8" has widi, it can detect the projector and my tablet is detected in projector, but I can't see my tablet menu in projector.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
post #379 of 443 Old 02-20-2014, 01:58 PM
AVS Special Member

If you go into settings-picture-aspect ratio and change to either zoom or cinema zoom, you can stretch the image and drag it up or down..but there isn't a built-in way to drag the image sideways in hdmi.

If I'm understanding you, it sounds like your image is all straight and filling the screen, but the one side is over the screen by a few inches..doesn't that mean your image isn't centered on the screen? Are you able to slide (not turn, but slide) the projector toward the other side so the screen is filled and the overhangs are even on both sides by about 2 inches?
Then you could mask those sides and only cut a tiny bit of each, but I think I'm misunderstanding something. Why would you prefer to drag the image over rather than likewise dragging the projector over instead? Or do you mean to squish the image a little bit skinny while keeping the same hight? Are you trying to fit a 16:9 image onto a 16:10 (taller, slightly less widescreen) screen?

I haven't heard of xmbc, or noticed it in the manual.
I have gotten the dlna and networking to work, but have only been able to get wifidirect to work once..if at all. Makes me sad because my computer and it DO see eachother in the wireless screensharing options and I really want that to work without buying the mirror service that I've heard works more consistently.

post #380 of 443 Old 02-22-2014, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ftoast View Post

If you go into settings-picture-aspect ratio and change to either zoom or cinema zoom, you can stretch the image and drag it up or down..but there isn't a built-in way to drag the image sideways in hdmi.

If I'm understanding you, it sounds like your image is all straight and filling the screen, but the one side is over the screen by a few inches..doesn't that mean your image isn't centered on the screen? Are you able to slide (not turn, but slide) the projector toward the other side so the screen is filled and the overhangs are even on both sides by about 2 inches?
Then you could mask those sides and only cut a tiny bit of each, but I think I'm misunderstanding something. Why would you prefer to drag the image over rather than likewise dragging the projector over instead? Or do you mean to squish the image a little bit skinny while keeping the same hight? Are you trying to fit a 16:9 image onto a 16:10 (taller, slightly less widescreen) screen?

I haven't heard of xmbc, or noticed it in the manual.
I have gotten the dlna and networking to work, but have only been able to get wifidirect to work once..if at all. Makes me sad because my computer and it DO see eachother in the wireless screensharing options and I really want that to work without buying the mirror service that I've heard works more consistently.

Yes, the image is not centered on the screen, there are no issues about height which is plenty a room. Only left-right alignment is issue. The projector is fixed with wall mount and not by ceiling mount. Both projector and screen are fixed permanently. All I need to find ways to drag the image to the left by 6inches.

The main remote is dead with in 1week of usage, either IR in projector or remote itself is faulty. The screen share never works even though the tablet has widi. Also I couldn't see the files in laptop even though both can see each other, but it can't detect the wifi router.

The below link will have images of the setup.
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1405666/lg-pa70g-led-1280x800-700-lumens/2300_50#post_24392779
post #381 of 443 Old 02-22-2014, 07:14 AM
AVS Special Member

As long as both the computer and projector are connected to your router and have their sharing abilities enabled, you should be able to stream video and pictures from the pc and tablet..but that's using your router so it isn't widi(wifi-direct) and is just dlna and networking. I haven't figured out how to get widi working myself and I've even gotten them to password handshake..which fails after a long wait.

I think it'd be worth it for you to remove and remount your wallstand so it's aiming straight. Even if you had optical horizontal lens-shifting available (which you can't expect in this pricerange) I'd still suggest removing the stand, putty/painting the holes and remounting so it lines up for the best picture. How did it end up attached 4 inches off center? That sounds like a possible funny or interesting story. If it was an accident, explaining how might help someone else avoid the same situation.

The regular remote going crazy also seemed to drain the batteries in only a few weeks. The other remote (for a different brand pj) that went crazy for a while seems to be behaving better now and it never drained its battery (still using the original it came with).

post #382 of 443 Old 02-23-2014, 01:06 AM

The widi is simply not working. I gave up that.

Regarding the mount alignment, I can't move the mount further as an electrical wiring conduit is passing. Also I made a mistake that everything I measured and aiming at the center point. This should keep the projector center from the mount plate. However after fixing the screws I noticed that the center is drifted to the side and which also drifts the video to the right.

You can see the setup in the images from following link
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1405666/lg-pa70g-led-1280x800-700-lumens/2280

But I'm quite disappointed with the remote. It shouldn't die so early being brand new. LG simply branded a product with chinese quality
post #383 of 443 Old 02-25-2014, 09:53 AM
AVS Special Member

I've seen good and bad come out of Korea, LG just seems to have a few less scruples than many others. Somewhat related, I realized from looking at the bottom of a p300 that Aaxa apparently designed and assembled it in the USA out of 62% USA parts. I found it odd that this isn't advertised on their website. I personally have nothing against foreign made products (I enjoy many a Samsung, Sanyo and even have plenty positive about this particular LG), but having anything largely performed stateside is usually advertised hard as Harley Davidson, so that gave me a chuckle.

Would it be possible with the LG being so light, for you to create a small arm that attaches one end to the pj and the other to the mount to position the projector at the center? I suppose it'd be easy enough with a couple cheap parts from a hardware store, but much harder to make it look nice at the same time.

post #384 of 443 Old 02-26-2014, 07:30 PM

I found casio XJ A256 projector better (http://www.casio.com/products/Projectors/Slim_Projectors/XJ-A256/)

Eventhough it commands a higher price (USD 12,xxx) it has features comparable to present LG PF80U, may be even better (zoom+higher brightness without lamp). I have used casio products before (not projector) and none of them failed. The watch I has from them is working for decades. The japanese stuff is always known for its reliability, they might fall short in features but the products were well tested.

Coming to the alignment issue, I removed the mount and swapped the mounting plates, now its just 1inch protruding out from screen right side, which I will push the mount slightly and its OK now. But after this I noticed rainbow effect sometimes, I fiddled with the focus wheel and its almost reached the end, still the focus is there at times. I use energy saving 'MED' and contrast and brightness levels 70. All other advanced settings set to LOW / MED.
post #385 of 443 Old 02-27-2014, 08:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Be wary of those laser projectors as a majority have pretty terrible colors and white balance at any decently bright settings and some would only allow maximum brightness for the first 10-20 minutes and then dim down by at least 20%. The Casios (and the 3M's I think) had a problem with either blue or green burning out really fast too due to their phosphor wheel designs that are needed for laser projectors currently.

Some of those advanced features are counter productive and can also cause input lag. The noise reduction kills small details, the resolutionboost/extrasharpener increase video noise and static, the dynamic contrast kills a lot of fine details and should probably only be used when turning both the eco to minimum and gamma to lowest/brightest isn't enough to overcome a bright room. The smooth motion tends to look horrible on movies (causes sudden judders) and it might be worth checking if turning all those things off helps your rainbow problem at all.

Also, you might consider trying the other black level setting and seeing if brightness around 53 and contrast around 98 looks alright. Using the correct black level setting allows you to leave contrast/color/brightness at one good setting across most/all sources. Then again, you might be on a different firmware version due to regional difference, so the numbers could be all different.

Good to hear you were able to get the picture much more centered.

post #386 of 443 Old 02-27-2014, 06:56 PM

The product was bought in Utah state via newegg online portal. So I presume that firmware is common through out USA. Also I did checked the firmware update immediately while testing it. It shows its already up to date.

Regarding your pointers, I will check and get back to you. Thank you very much for the suggestions.

What I noticed in common with this projector was, its usage is only for movies. But the movies picture looks like a football match in HD view. Video detail of movie and football match is different. The color and contrast levels were too much artificial and rather I expect them to be reproduced in the same way as how it was recorded. This is the same issue I noticed with samsung TVs but not in SONY and panasonic. It should be natural.
post #387 of 443 Old 03-01-2014, 09:53 AM
AVS Special Member

I can definitely recommend that you turn all the special features off (as well as keep your color turned down a bit) if you want a more natural look. The specials tend to make motion look odd or different, colors and contrast will get pushed to sharp and often ugly extremes and harsh edges will get emphasis while small details are lost..the dynamic contrast can be useful as a last resort in a room that's too bright, but that's the only special feature I'd recommend, AND only in that particular case.

post #388 of 443 Old 03-29-2014, 10:15 PM

Currently, I am using the projector with the white wall. I'm thinking of painting my wall grey. However, I have a little bit concern about the brightness with grey wall. Have anybody here tried to project to a grey screen before? Thanks.

post #389 of 443 Old 03-30-2014, 02:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Currently, I am using the projector with the white wall. I'm thinking of painting my wall grey. However, I have a little bit concern about the brightness with grey wall. Have anybody here tried to project to a grey screen before? Thanks.
I've used this projector on a painted gray screen (plain, flat paint like a wall) and there's two things to keep in mind: you'll need a neutral gray (which can be somewhat hard to find when shopping for paint), and even a very light shade will darken your image considerably. It darkens your blacks too, but the contrast ratio stays the same and the entire picture is losing brightness.

Where a bright white reflects nearly all the light hitting it, a middle gray only reflects around 20%..like the difference between a 1gain screen and a 0.2gain screen. It's a lot easier for both neutrality and brightness to stay as light as you can when choosing a screen paint color.

post #390 of 443 Old 03-30-2014, 06:07 PM

In reply to post #387

I turned most of them off now. Brightness and contrast levels set to near 70. It is better than before., thank you.

I feel disturbed to see the main remote went bad. I'm using the bluetooth remote, but the manual says, battery won't last long, so I'm keeping it out of range to conserve battery. Can we use a universal remote for this projector? my ONKYO 609 AVR remote is right now used to control my TV, can I use for it too. I will try this weekend If I can play with codes of LG.

But surely, LG brand is below average in terms of quality. Surely next time I will think twice before recommending it to anyone. I don't buy one in future for sure.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Lg Pa75u Dlp Home Theater Projector

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page