LG PA75U -Anybody else own one of LG's Abandoned Children? - Page 15 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #421 of 432 Old 09-01-2014, 07:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
1080p

I'm getting what the LG pa75u 's info panel is telling me is 1080p, 60Hz from my hdmi PC feed...is that right? I thought i needed the other lg projector to get 1080p...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #422 of 432 Old 09-01-2014, 10:18 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel Brennan 2 View Post
I'm getting what the LG pa75u 's info panel is telling me is 1080p, 60Hz from my hdmi PC feed...is that right? I thought i needed the other lg projector to get 1080p...
The pa75 will still recognize and play a 1080p signal, it just needs to down-scale it to the projector's native resolution.
The "other" LG (pf80/85/87) uses 1080p as its native resolution so it needs to upscale lower resolutions, but can display 1080 content at a perfectly un-scaled, 1:1 ratio.

This is the difference between a projector that is native-1080 and one that "supports 1080p"..technically they BOTH support 1080/fullHD, but the one that isn't native 1080 has to display 1080 content using less pixels so some information get lost.

Simple
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, build in a day, takedown in an hour.
post #423 of 432 Old 09-01-2014, 11:48 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
[QUOTE=Ftoast;24720622]The w1070 finally arrived, so I've taken a few side by side pictures of it next to the PA75u. Besides the brightness and contrast difference being a little less dramatic than I'd hoped, I also noticed a strange advantage of the LG's pixel structure..When dealing with resolution lower than 1080, and/or when using 1080 coupled with digital keystone correction (which should be avoided if possible) the LG appears to have smoother yet sharper edges and less image noise despite having noise-reduction set OFF. The w1070 is still the sharper projector for 1080 material (as long as digital keystone adjustment isn't used), but for everything that uses re-mapping the LG seems to have a visible advantage.

It seems that you have booth PA 75U & W1070, may I ask your thoughts which projector you preferred? & why? Thanks!
post #424 of 432 Old 09-02-2014, 06:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by displaylou View Post
It seems that you have booth PA 75U & W1070, may I ask your thoughts which projector you preferred? & why? Thanks!
Of course, though I'm afraid the main reasons might be somewhat disappointing because it's a little hard to relate to.

For one, I already owned both the pa75u and the p300 before getting the w1070 so it was essentially competing against not one but two very different LED projectors that each have very strong merits. It also wasn't available except from one store near me (I'm a sucker for physical stores) and it was way more expensive than normal (around $900+)...All while competing to replace one of my two beloved devices in either a dedicated dark room OR as a traveling brightroom companion.

They are both fantastic projectors.
First, the main advantages of the w1070 are brightness, contrast, resolution, color accuracy, and placement flexibility for mounting (zoom and lens-shift).

-In my situation, I didn't really value the w1070's placement flexibility nearly as much as the pa75u's ability to be put on a simple tripot. If I ever ceiling-mount, I'd just have to take a little more time with the LG, which wouldn't be a problem as I'm very good at spacing and squaring the image without shift or zoom. One advantage down for me.

-The difference in resolution between the two also turned out to be a non-issue to me. The amount of content that looked visibly clearer at 1080 was surprisingly slim during movies and text is still easily readable on the LG. On top of that, side-by-side comparison showed the LG and its odd diamond pixels (common to most/all 800x1280 LED models) have such a pleasant way of scaling lower than 1080 content that lower res stuff actually looked clearer and less pixelated on the LG! Two advantages down for me.

-The difference in brightness was startlingly small where it mattered. In a darkroom or in a brightroom playing bright/high-APL content, the LG is already completely capable, so the only thing that needed help is darker content in a bright room. Both projectors have plenty of gamma control to help, the LG also has a contrast stretcher feature where the w1070 has brute lumens..and it turned out to be a tie! I already should've figured as much when the LG beat an even brighter LCD (with 2000+ actual lumens but no gamma options) for the same darker scenes. Three advantages down for me.

-The difference in color-accuracy can still be seen, but tweaking the LG's settings (and CMS) have allowed me to get it decently close to accurate colors AND the pa75u still has better color-balance than all the non-rgb DLPs so only the w1070 is a real threat to it anyway. Both projectors can beat anything else under $1500. The LG just requires some love to make it happen.
The w1070 is STILL more accurate, but the LG is set close enough for it to matter very little. Fourth advantage...MOSTLY down for me.

-The difference in contrast can be seen in a dark room. Though the LG has high enough contrast to match or beat any non-RGB DLP and anything Epson makes for under $2500, the w1070 is even better. The little p300 is nearly a tie for the w1070, but both beat the LG. The thing is, in a bright room the difference is small enough to not be seen..and in a dark room the LG is still a very solid performer that has contrast roughly neck-and-neck with the Epson 8350/8345. So, last advantage...MOSTLY down for me.

I think that's all of them. The LG also has many of its own advantages:
-In eco-mode it's one of the quietest projectors, period.
-it's built-in speakers are better than most and useable during travel.
-wireless streaming and full flash-support browser are neat.
-LED instant and SAFE for frequent on/off cycles.
-less moving parts makes it hardy and it's survived a major fall.
-small-ish size and weight is easily portable and fits universal tripods.
-plays many video and picture codecs right from a USB memory-stick.
-built-in coaxial tuner is great if you don't have an hdmi cablebox.
-the best and smoothest 3D I've ever seen..using $12 universal glasses.

The main issue was the LG is such an impressive brightroom performer and the Aaxa P300 is such an impressive darkroom performer that the slightly more expensive and slightly more travel-finicky w1070 just seemed redundant.
The only thing that could dethrone the LG/p300 combo for me would be an LED model with 2000:1+ actual contrast and/or a portable LED model with both contrast expansion software AND 1000+ color-accurate lumens. Hopefully costing under $1000.
Either one seems very far away realistically.

Simple
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Ftoast; 09-02-2014 at 07:13 AM.
post #425 of 432 Old 09-03-2014, 05:18 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Thank you very much for such a wonderful & detailed explanations.
post #426 of 432 Old 09-03-2014, 07:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by displaylou View Post
Thank you very much for such a wonderful & detailed explanations.
No problem.

If you go back one page (page 14), I've got quite a few pictures of the pa75 in different situations and some side-by-side the w1070 as well as the 131xe/hd25e with descriptions alongside.

Simple
post #427 of 432 Old 09-04-2014, 03:44 PM
Advanced Member

I've got a couple more fun examples of what can be done with the humble PA75u.

That is a brand-new 150watt bare bulb on the right doing battle with the PuppetMasterDVDpack (because there's no accounting for taste). It wasn't actually being watched with the lights on (I was only curious), but after seeing how well it performed I did feel tempted to just let it continue.

During some down time a cinema was kind enough to let me borrow one of their bigscreens...and room.
Do you see that blue border around the screen? That's how large the projected image actually is. I didn't have an extension cord and couldn't move forward far enough to properly fit the screen, so properly filling the screen would've resulted in a significantly brighter image with much less wasted light.

Here, have some color.
Like most video/pictures shot with a cellphone, it was brighter in person..but pictures are still fun to show and see.
I'm not sure if it was an effect of the better whitebalance or something else, but the LG appeared to be brighter than the theater's own pre-show LCDs (which are typically low-resolution 5000-ish+ lumen models). ..weird.

I also was able to go on a battery-powered outdoor adventure with a grey/khaki colored pole-building and stretch out to a 50ft-wide image that a few night-owls living nearby and I got to enjoy for a while from a few hundred feet away.
Sadly, though it was clear and colorful in person, it was past my cheap phone-camera's abilities to capture anything more than an underexposed mess.
Maybe, if I can find such a building in white..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CAM01305-1.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	226.8 KB
ID:	246442   Click image for larger version

Name:	CAM01250.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	283.0 KB
ID:	246450   Click image for larger version

Name:	CAM01254.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	277.3 KB
ID:	246458  

Simple

Last edited by Ftoast; 09-04-2014 at 03:55 PM.
post #428 of 432 Old 09-10-2014, 11:03 AM

Liked: 10
Last night I started having problems with my PA75u. It will power off, then almost immediately come back on. Will stay on for maybe a minute, then off again. Any ideas of things I should check? Is there way to do a hard reset? I don't really want to send it in for service if I don't have to.
post #429 of 432 Old 09-10-2014, 12:09 PM
Advanced Member

If you haven't already, doublecheck that the power cord (and its midway connection) is tightly seated..and it might be worth a shot trying another outlet even though the one you're using should be fine.

I haven't yet seen a hard reset, so I'd like to know as well (just in case).

Simple
post #430 of 432 Old 09-13-2014, 03:06 PM

Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by xlr231 View Post
Last night I started having problems with my PA75u. It will power off, then almost immediately come back on. Will stay on for maybe a minute, then off again. Any ideas of things I should check? Is there way to do a hard reset? I don't really want to send it in for service if I don't have to.
I'm having the exact same issue. Have you been able to resolve it?
post #431 of 432 Old 09-14-2014, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charnotx View Post
I'm having the exact same issue. Have you been able to resolve it?
No, I contacted LG support and got an rma to ship it in for service.
post #432 of 432 Old 09-18-2014, 07:22 PM

I got my projector back from LG today and it still has the same issue. They didn't include any paperwork to let me know what/if they did anything to it. According to the tracking info it was at their facility for maybe 24 hours. Knowing how repair facilities work it makes me wonder if they just turned it on, didn't see a problem right away assumed it's NPF and sent it back.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Lg Pa75u Dlp Home Theater Projector

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page