LG PA75U -Anybody else own one of LG's Abandoned Children? - Page 16 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!


Forum Jump: 
 8Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #451 of 460 Old 01-18-2015, 09:39 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I just received the 03.05.00 update from 03.01.00 also -- I see a magical mirroring option now but that's about it. Think it relies upon something from MirrorOp.com. Not sure if it was already there.
dxtrnyc is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #452 of 460 Old 01-18-2015, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Ftoast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 2,004
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked: 255
I haven't updated yet and have the magicmirror..and yes it requires a separate $10 program for the source device. Well, mirror OP does. I can't remember if magic mirror was that or the built-in windows screenshare (that only worked with windows 7 and vista). Either way, magic-mirror was already there.

Can anyone who's updated try the built-in web browser and see if it still supports FLASH video like a standard computer? I'm worried the projector will lose flash support like android 4.2+ did where it's actually pried out of your hands.

Simple <$250 dedicated black-fabric theater room, build in a day, takedown in an hour.
Easy $25-40 DIY black/dark-grey ambient-light rejecting screen, grab two things from a local store..mix..roll..done.
Ftoast is offline  
post #453 of 460 Old 01-21-2015, 06:28 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ftoast View Post
I haven't updated yet and have the magicmirror..and yes it requires a separate $10 program for the source device. Well, mirror OP does. I can't remember if magic mirror was that or the built-in windows screenshare (that only worked with windows 7 and vista). Either way, magic-mirror was already there.

Can anyone who's updated try the built-in web browser and see if it still supports FLASH video like a standard computer? I'm worried the projector will lose flash support like android 4.2+ did where it's actually pried out of your hands.
Hello!


Hey float, I'm still working around your tips to get a better contrast perception and black levels.
I've been playing with the dynamic contrast option, and I find that the low setting actually stretches the contrast ratio more than the medium setting (or in a different way than the low and hi setting).

My screen size is 70". I don't need a bigger screen since my viewing distance is abou 3 meter and I'm using the economic bulb mode. What size of screen are you using, and which bulb mode?

Also I've build a DIY 70" light gray screen and the black level has improved while maintaining an acceptable brightness, but then I think I have screwed the color balance (didnt' get a neutral grey, I supose). Anyone is using a grey or silver screen with goog results?

All in all, I'm starting to enjoy this mini sized projector
fheanor is offline  
post #454 of 460 Old 01-21-2015, 07:17 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Ftoast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 2,004
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked: 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by fheanor View Post
Hello!


Hey float, I'm still working around your tips to get a better contrast perception and black levels.
I've been playing with the dynamic contrast option, and I find that the low setting actually stretches the contrast ratio more than the medium setting (or in a different way than the low and hi setting).

My screen size is 70". I don't need a bigger screen since my viewing distance is abou 3 meter and I'm using the economic bulb mode. What size of screen are you using, and which bulb mode?

Also I've build a DIY 70" light gray screen and the black level has improved while maintaining an acceptable brightness, but then I think I have screwed the color balance (didnt' get a neutral grey, I supose). Anyone is using a grey or silver screen with goog results?

All in all, I'm starting to enjoy this mini sized projector
I've noticed DynamicContrast seems to behave a little differently depending on the video and even the source. I watched a 3D bluray just yesterday with PlayStation 3 and NONE of the DynamicContrast settings seemed to stretch shadow-details like they usually do for USB and computer video. I'm guessing it was possibly due to the video's specific range (it was I am Robot), but still..weird. Usually medium gives the most brightness in the darker scenes that need he most help in a bright room, but I can totally understand now how that might not always be the case.

I use an 8ft-wide (110" 16:9) white screen on low or occasionally medium brightness. Seats are about 2.5m away.

I've painted a few different grey screens that worked well. The projector is actually bright enough to use with some seriously dark screens when they've got some metallic black/dark-grey added.
fheanor likes this.

Simple <$250 dedicated black-fabric theater room, build in a day, takedown in an hour.
Easy $25-40 DIY black/dark-grey ambient-light rejecting screen, grab two things from a local store..mix..roll..done.
Ftoast is offline  
post #455 of 460 Old 01-22-2015, 01:48 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hello:

I was wondering if someone has done a color calibration on the pa75. In standard mode, I think that the color balanced is biased toward red, at least when compared with my IPS monitor, and the other modes (cinema etc..) are way off for my taste. I have done a calibration on the Pa75 by comparison, and now the color balance is very colse to the LG monitor.

Otherwise, I have found a review of the Pa72/Pa70 (it's the same projector without smartTv, right? but I don't have the knowledge to understand all the measurements that they have done, but it seems that red color is off.



The test of the projector can be found here:
I can't post the link but simply google cine4home PA72G test and it's the first result


And this is my calibration in expert mode if anyone wants to try it:

contrast 100
Brightness 50
color 47
Dynamic contrast medium
tint 0
Black lvl high
gamut wide
color temo. medium
gamma 2.2

red contrast 0
green contrast -6
blue contrast 3

red bright -3
green bright 0
blue bright 4

color management:
All colors 0, except yellow = -4
fheanor is offline  
post #456 of 460 Old 01-22-2015, 08:40 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Ftoast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 2,004
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked: 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by fheanor View Post
I was wondering if someone has done a color calibration on the pa75.
Contrast 98
Brightness 54
Sharpness 15
Color 49
Tint R10
Gamma 2.2

Black-level high/low depends on your source
DynamicContrast OFF
Sharpness enhancements OFF
Other "enhancements" OFF including the motion and noise ones in the other extra-options section

Gamut SMPTE

WB warm
WB:R/G/B
2
5
10/0/5
15/0/10
15/0/10
20
20
20
20
25
25
25
30
30
25
20
15
10
5
50

CMS
Green: tint -15
Yellow: tint -15

Spoiler!

The biggest bothers for me are the blue-ish and overly bright greens and the green-ish and fairly strong yellows. Also, most white-balance presets are pretty cold except Native which is quite yellow/green.
The settings above mostly solved these issues for me and give colors that look a lot less neon.

If you are a fan of colder white-balance, I prefer Purity over Cool/Medium..it seems brighter and better with sky hues.
fheanor likes this.

Simple <$250 dedicated black-fabric theater room, build in a day, takedown in an hour.
Easy $25-40 DIY black/dark-grey ambient-light rejecting screen, grab two things from a local store..mix..roll..done.

Last edited by Ftoast; 01-22-2015 at 08:48 PM.
Ftoast is offline  
post #457 of 460 Old 01-23-2015, 02:17 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ftoast View Post
Contrast 98
Brightness 54
Sharpness 15
Color 49
Tint R10
Gamma 2.2

Black-level high/low depends on your source
DynamicContrast OFF
Sharpness enhancements OFF
Other "enhancements" OFF including the motion and noise ones in the other extra-options section

Gamut SMPTE

WB warm
WB:R/G/B
2
5
10/0/5
15/0/10
15/0/10
20
20
20
20
25
25
25
30
30
25
20
15
10
5
50

CMS
Green: tint -15
Yellow: tint -15

Spoiler!

The biggest bothers for me are the blue-ish and overly bright greens and the green-ish and fairly strong yellows. Also, most white-balance presets are pretty cold except Native which is quite yellow/green.
The settings above mostly solved these issues for me and give colors that look a lot less neon.

If you are a fan of colder white-balance, I prefer Purity over Cool/Medium..it seems brighter and better with sky hues.
Thanks floast!

I'ts really hard to calibrate the color balance without any "valid" reference or pattern. My eyes/brain get used to "almost" any color balance. My last calibration was way cold, even I didn't notice the strong yellows until you noted that.

Lowering the green and yellow in the CMS menu makes a big difference. Still working on it but now I think I'm in the right path !
fheanor is offline  
post #458 of 460 Old 01-24-2015, 06:42 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Ftoast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 2,004
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked: 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by fheanor View Post
I'ts really hard to calibrate the color balance without any "valid" reference or pattern. My eyes/brain get used to "almost" any color balance. My last calibration was way cold, even I didn't notice the strong yellows until you noted that.

Lowering the green and yellow in the CMS menu makes a big difference. Still working on it but now I think I'm in the right path !
My references aren't perfect either, but with these settings I don't see jarring differences comparing the LG to the older Panasonic Plasma, the CFL LCD or the P300.
The green is its biggest issue and it isn't possible to totally tone it down, but it gets close enough to not be a bother.

Someone with a spectro and some know-how could make a much more valid calibration.
But I'm totally happy to share.
fheanor likes this.

Simple <$250 dedicated black-fabric theater room, build in a day, takedown in an hour.
Easy $25-40 DIY black/dark-grey ambient-light rejecting screen, grab two things from a local store..mix..roll..done.
Ftoast is offline  
post #459 of 460 Old 01-24-2015, 01:35 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
hello again:

Floast your calibration rocks!

Between, I have found a *.pdf with an IRE calibration for the LG PA70 and I supose that it's done with a spectro.
Its IRE 10 points, not 20. I don't know if it "fits" on the PA75 or the PA70 is a different animal.

Anyway, here is the link:

http://home.comcast.net/~eye_fling_poo/PA70G.pdf



fheanor is offline  
post #460 of 460 Old 01-24-2015, 04:30 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Ftoast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 2,004
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked: 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by fheanor View Post
hello again:

Floast your calibration rocks!

Between, I have found a *.pdf with an IRE calibration for the LG PA70 and I supose that it's done with a spectro.
Its IRE 10 points, not 20. I don't know if it "fits" on the PA75 or the PA70 is a different animal.

Anyway, here is the link:

http://home.comcast.net/~eye_fling_poo/PA70G.pdf



Judging from what I've heard/read, the pa70g IS a pretty different animal at least when it comes to settings, so those might end up looking a little odd.
I wonder if the CMS "color" control next to tint in the PDF is luminance or saturation?
The overall color of 71 can make people look pretty sunburned on the pa75u.

Simple <$250 dedicated black-fabric theater room, build in a day, takedown in an hour.
Easy $25-40 DIY black/dark-grey ambient-light rejecting screen, grab two things from a local store..mix..roll..done.
Ftoast is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Lg Pa75u Dlp Home Theater Projector

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off