AVS Forum banner

LG PA75U -Anybody else own one of LG's Abandoned Children?

78K views 479 replies 84 participants last post by  strindl 
#1 ·
I bought this at, and will soon be trying to return it to BestBuy. Touted as having LG's "Smart TV Features" one would assume it would have Hulu, Netflix, even HBO Go perhaps. Some descriptions online mention Hulu and Netflix, but fire up the projector and they are nowhere to be found.

In fact, the apps that are available are all pure crap.

I went to check the LG site, to see if they have any documentation on upcoming features or anything at all, only to notice that the PA75U is NOT LISTED under current models. Mine was manufactured in March of 2013. Are the Web guys on strike or has LG given up/discontinued/who-knows-what on this projector?

Anyway, there are some positives - the picture is good, and the "PLEX media server" software is nice to have (constantly improving, but poorly implemented on the PA75U)

I am not quite sure why, but once you have that media server running on your PC, you can then access the content in two ways - one is through the "Media Link" option on the PA75U - this pulls in all sorts of other information about your files from the web (movie ratings/synopses/etc)

The other method is via "SmartShare" which is more of a browse-folders-and-filenames experience.

Somehow these two methods utilize different looking media players. I have found that the SmartShare media player looks better, gives you more information on screen about the video resolution & audio type, and is generally smoother. But the MediaLink player pulls in all of that web info so your library looks organized instead of the potential cluster-F that it actually is.

Plex also includes "channels" including Amazon Video, Hulu, and Netflix - but these are poorly implemented and well hidden deep in the menus. (By poorly implemented I mean they don't look/function well. I should mention that Amazon just doesn't work. And none of these channels are supported by the respective companies...)

Lucky for me, the wifi keeps dropping out - has been happening with three different access points - so maybe that'll ease the return process.

Until then, I've been experimenting with the USB port - so far, successfully attached a USB hub and a wireless logitech keyboard. Unfortunately, only the escape button, the arrow keys and 0-9 seem to work - but it does show another device in "input selection"

Anybody out there own this model, or have any insight or tips/

See less See more
#302 ·
Wow, Those sold out quick. I've been waiting for this projector to run a big sale like this and targeted black Friday but I guess I missed it. Amazon says you can still order and they'll ship when available. I don't know if I'm comfortable with that. Are we talking a few days? a week? a month?

#305 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotjt133  /t/1468730/lg-pa75u-anybody-else-own-one-of-lgs-abandoned-children/210#post_23576079

Before I went into the dark side (uh, the bright side), I was looking at PA75U for a long time. I want a decent LED PJ with integrated tuner and the PA75U is the only choice. The show stopper is the US TV tuner which is not compatible with AU (DVB-T). The korean tuner is the same as US. So I ended up with a better PJ but has neither tuner nor LED
. That's the price to pay to the dark side.

This should be the same situation for Europe. The voltage is not an issue, but the TV is. However if you don't care of TV and don't mind the brightness compared to a traditional lamp, it will be a good buy. You can buy from any decent US seller and ship it over. If they don't ship internationally, you can use a US mail forwarder which usually is cheaper.

From reading LG's website the above is not correct, see below. The voltage is an issue. The US version of this product will only work with 120V. Which means you can't use it in Europe without getting some kind of step down adapter. 

Quote:

http://answers.lg.com/answers/7676/product/MD05000741/lg-electronics-pa70g-questions-answers/questions.htm

We appreciate your interest in this projector. Products that are released in the United States are designed for use with US electrical standards. As such, this unit is designed to operate only at 120V.

Can anyone who owns this projector confirm if the above is true, will the US version *only* operate with 120V?

#309 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emitify  /t/1468730/lg-pa75u-anybody-else-own-one-of-lgs-abandoned-children/250_50#post_23924864

Never heard of that model of Benq - you could get a PA75U for about 500 with a bit of luck. I`m actually on a mission to buy another one for my friend. I`ve limited time during the week to play with it - figured out option to stream using wifi form a pc - works like a charm - no lags either.

I bought this projector recently. I'm trying to share the display from my Samsung Tab3(311) which has WiDi to this projector using the WiDi function. Both devices can detect each other but I'm not able to see the screen. Not sure if the steps as per projector manual are enough. Can some one help me on this?

Also Emitify, can you send the steps to stream laptop to projector via Wifi.

I want to see my tablet screen in my projector.

Also I would like to know how to check if the projector output resolution is set to WXGA (1280 x 800)

Can some one post the expert settings for Movie? (I know its already there in one of the posts, couldn't find it, can some one provide the post #?)

#310 ·
After enjoying this projector for most of this year, I have decided to sell it and buy an Optoma HD131xe. I really liked the PA75U for tv via Directv and for use with my PS3. However, I bought a PS4 at launch and for some reason I just couldn't get it to look like how I wanted. This is still a great projector that I would recommend, but I felt I needed a 1080p native projector that is a little brighter than the PA75U for my setup.

#311 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007india  /t/1468730/lg-pa75u-anybody-else-own-one-of-lgs-abandoned-children/300_50#post_24023351

I bought this projector recently. I'm trying to share the display from my Samsung Tab3(311) which has WiDi to this projector using the WiDi function. Both devices can detect each other but I'm not able to see the screen. Not sure if the steps as per projector manual are enough. Can some one help me on this?

Also Emitify, can you send the steps to stream laptop to projector via Wifi.

I want to see my tablet screen in my projector.

Also I would like to know how to check if the projector output resolution is set to WXGA (1280 x 800)

Can some one post the expert settings for Movie? (I know its already there in one of the posts, couldn't find it, can some one provide the post #?)

Can anyone answer to the above post?

I got the expert settings for movie as follows, let me know if any fine tuning is required ...

Expert1

Contrast: 74

Brightness: 83

Color: 51

H and V Sharpness: 38

Color Temperature, found under "Expert Control/White Balance": Purity

Black Level, found under "Picture Option": Low

#312 ·
Hi all,

I got mine on Black Friday.. so far I've been using it on my tan colored wall until I build a screen. I watched some of the NFL games on it and thought it looked very impressive however I have had mixed results from movies. Tried Madagascar 3 which looked very nice however Wreck It Ralph looked kinda of washed out. Meaning the colors don't pop and aren't vibrant as I thought they would be. I'm comparing it to my 47" LCD. Also Django Unchained was also so-so. My source was a WD live player for the movies and HD cable box for the NFL games. It is a light controlled room in my basement. Do you think I will get better results from my screen with blackout cloth or this projector is what it is and should consider upgrading to something more powerful? Thanks in advance for your input!

#313 ·
A few years ago I got a few yards of black out cloth and it cost me about $ 40.

If you have a Micro Center electronics store near you then you can get a 109 inch 1.2 gain Inland Screen for about $ 65 instead of making a black out cloth screen.

Most black out cloth rolls are limited to about 42 inches of hight.

You can get a wide as a screen as you want with blackout cloth but the hight is only limted to about 42 inchs.

#314 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLPProjectorfan  /t/1468730/lg-pa75u-anybody-else-own-one-of-lgs-abandoned-children/300#post_24034207

A few years ago I got a few yards of black out cloth and it cost me about $ 40.

If you have a Micro Center electronics store near you then you can get a 109 inch 1.2 gain Inland Screen for about $ 65 instead of making a black out cloth screen.

Most black out cloth rolls are limited to about 42 inches of hight.

You can get a wide as a screen as you want with blackout cloth but the hight is only limted to about 42 inchs.

Most local fabric stores Like Jo-Annes have 54 inch sizes. -- Bohanna

Just found another link.

http://www.amazon.com/Carls-Blackout-Cloth-Projector-Material/dp/B007KA5G0W

#316 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007india  /t/1468730/lg-pa75u-anybody-else-own-one-of-lgs-abandoned-children/300_50#post_24030123

Can anyone answer to the above post?

I got the expert settings for movie as follows, let me know if any fine tuning is required ...

Expert1

Contrast: 74

Brightness: 83

Color: 51

H and V Sharpness: 38

Color Temperature, found under "Expert Control/White Balance": Purity

Black Level, found under "Picture Option": Low

Is there anyone who can answer to my post #309? or is the post not visible to anyone? not sure

All I'm trying is to connect my samsung galaxy tab3 with projector. The tab is having Wi-di and can support multi connect too? My tab and projector can see both. Also, I can see the files in my tab from projector but not the tab screen in projector. Also, how to check if I have any focus issues? pls confirm on the expert settings for movie?

@mods: pls help

#317 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by morphwvu  /t/1468730/lg-pa75u-anybody-else-own-one-of-lgs-abandoned-children/300#post_24036797

Hi Bohanna.. thats exactly where I got my black out cloth from. Do you think it will make a difference in the picture that I'm seeing? I'm def going to install the black out cloth regardless if I keep this projector or not.
From a tan wall ?? Kind of a no Brainer,,, I think it will make a hell of a difference.- -- Bohanna

#318 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bohanna  /t/1468730/lg-pa75u-anybody-else-own-one-of-lgs-abandoned-children/300#post_24039367

From a tan wall ?? Kind of a no Brainer,,, I think it will make a hell of a difference.- -- Bohanna

Thanks for prompt responses much appreciated it! What I meant to say was that in my original post I was experiencing lack of color and wash out with certain movies while testing on the wall meanwhile some movies like Madagascar 3 looked great. I will build a screen with black out cloth regardless but I was wondering if you think the screen will alleviate those problems? thanks again

#320 ·
Hey guys, I recently bought this projector and returned it, possibly prematurely. I found the Audio/Video to be constantly out of sync. I was using this with movies on a USB stick and there was no way to sync the Audio/Video in this mode. I was VERY dissapointed to say the least. I figured out how to sync it in the TV mode or HDMI mode but not in USB mode. WTF. I'm willing to buy it again if anyone can explain and show how to sync the audio in this mode because honestly this is the only way I will play movies on the projector.

#321 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewartwflill  /t/1468730/lg-pa75u-anybody-else-own-one-of-lgs-abandoned-children/300#post_24092824

Hey guys, I recently bought this projector and returned it, possibly prematurely. I found the Audio/Video to be constantly out of sync. I was using this with movies on a USB stick and there was no way to sync the Audio/Video in this mode. I was VERY dissapointed to say the least. I figured out how to sync it in the TV mode or HDMI mode but not in USB mode. WTF. I'm willing to buy it again if anyone can explain and show how to sync the audio in this mode because honestly this is the only way I will play movies on the projector.

I don't see an AV sync setting when using usb, however, I've also never had a sync issue when playing things off a USB HDD. We've watched a pretty good amount off a USB HDD (mkv with h264 or x264) and haven't had any real issue, and AV Sync has always been off in the general settings — not that that has anything to do with USB mode.

Might be the type of videos you are trying to watch. H.264/x264 codec based videos work the best on most any device.

#322 ·
Has anyone noticed a very faint border around the ENTIRE image? I'm not talking about bars on top and bottom from cropped scaling. I mean a border on all sides even when using the native 1280x800 resolution. I made a new post about this but decided with all the PA75U owners posting here....I might get better results. Please see my other post for images. It's titled "Help! LG PA75U - Light border around image (compressed?)"

#323 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by XfmrEngr  /t/1468730/lg-pa75u-anybody-else-own-one-of-lgs-abandoned-children/300#post_24095747

Has anyone noticed a very faint border around the ENTIRE image? I'm not talking about bars on top and bottom from cropped scaling. I mean a border on all sides even when using the native 1280x800 resolution. I made a new post about this but decided with all the PA75U owners posting here....I might get better results. Please see my other post for images. It's titled "Help! LG PA75U - Light border around image (compressed?)"

This is normal for DLP projectors.

#325 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodaboy581  /t/1468730/lg-pa75u-anybody-else-own-one-of-lgs-abandoned-children/300#post_24095895

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesZ7  /t/1468730/lg-pa75u-anybody-else-own-one-of-lgs-abandoned-children/300#post_24095836

This is normal for DLP projectors.
That's not true at all. Don't spread misinformation.

WTF!

IF you look at any dlp projector you will notice a very faint dark grey "border" ~1" around the image area. . . I originally asked this same question when I purchased my first DLP projector, BenQ W1070, and very knowledgeable people on that thread explained that this is normal for DLP projectors.

So, what is your information that says it is not?

#326 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesZ7  /t/1468730/lg-pa75u-anybody-else-own-one-of-lgs-abandoned-children/300#post_24095908

WTF!

IF you look at any dlp projector you will notice a very faint dark grey "border" ~1" around the image area. . . I originally asked this same question when I purchased my first DLP projector, BenQ W1070, and very knowledgeable people on that thread explained that this is normal for DLP projectors.

So, what is your information that says it is not?

Wow, calm down. And my information is my own projector and screen... I have no "grey border" around my projected image, sorry to say. Even when it was projected on my wall, I saw no such border.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.