LG PA75U -Anybody else own one of LG's Abandoned Children? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

post #1 of 439 Old 04-17-2013, 03:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I bought this at, and will soon be trying to return it to BestBuy. Touted as having LG's "Smart TV Features" one would assume it would have Hulu, Netflix, even HBO Go perhaps. Some descriptions online mention Hulu and Netflix, but fire up the projector and they are nowhere to be found.

In fact, the apps that are available are all pure crap.

I went to check the LG site, to see if they have any documentation on upcoming features or anything at all, only to notice that the PA75U is NOT LISTED under current models. Mine was manufactured in March of 2013. Are the Web guys on strike or has LG given up/discontinued/who-knows-what on this projector?

Anyway, there are some positives - the picture is good, and the "PLEX media server" software is nice to have (constantly improving, but poorly implemented on the PA75U)
I am not quite sure why, but once you have that media server running on your PC, you can then access the content in two ways - one is through the "Media Link" option on the PA75U - this pulls in all sorts of other information about your files from the web (movie ratings/synopses/etc)

The other method is via "SmartShare" which is more of a browse-folders-and-filenames experience.

Somehow these two methods utilize different looking media players. I have found that the SmartShare media player looks better, gives you more information on screen about the video resolution & audio type, and is generally smoother. But the MediaLink player pulls in all of that web info so your library looks organized instead of the potential cluster-F that it actually is.

Plex also includes "channels" including Amazon Video, Hulu, and Netflix - but these are poorly implemented and well hidden deep in the menus. (By poorly implemented I mean they don't look/function well. I should mention that Amazon just doesn't work. And none of these channels are supported by the respective companies...)

Lucky for me, the wifi keeps dropping out - has been happening with three different access points - so maybe that'll ease the return process.

Until then, I've been experimenting with the USB port - so far, successfully attached a USB hub and a wireless logitech keyboard. Unfortunately, only the escape button, the arrow keys and 0-9 seem to work - but it does show another device in "input selection"

Anybody out there own this model, or have any insight or tips/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 439 Old 04-17-2013, 05:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Looks like a more expensive 70 so best buy can take in the margin.
post #3 of 439 Old 04-17-2013, 07:08 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorAD View Post

Anybody out there own this model, or have any insight or tips/

My tip is to build a budget media PC, or requisition an old PC for media PC duties, then never worry again what your display device will or won't play/access. And if you change display devices, nothing will change in terms of your media access or apps. You will have max flexibility and control. By the way, I am typing this using my media PC and an LG PA70G projector - been very happy with this setup.
post #4 of 439 Old 04-19-2013, 01:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Have not had one of those projectors but have a LGHX300.
Is your firmware updated ?
The keyboard not working sounds like there maybe a problem with the projector or USB port.
Is it past the return allowed time ? 30 days ? 15 days ? maybe you can send it back and get another one in exchange ?
post #5 of 439 Old 04-21-2013, 04:57 AM

Hi
I was about to take a plunge on either the LG PA70G but just now saw the LG PA75U

I just noticed that the & 75U had several new features which could justify the extra $ 130 of the Newegg LG PA75U Deal vs the regular FRY's LG PA70G Deal for around $499.

Are there still any focus issues with this series tho?
post #6 of 439 Old 04-21-2013, 05:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
If it were ME I would go with the newer PA75 in an instant. The built in tuner alone gives you the option of going anywhere and Cabling in to an existing HD cable service or stringing an OTA antenna up and getting a high quality image with little or no time or effort. Bring along an ipod type docking station or a radio that has an aux input so you can get some actual volume and you are good to go. I bought my PA70 for 499.00 and for what it does I love the little sucker. If I could have gotten the Pa75 for an additional 150.00 or so I would have grabbe it!! mad.gif

Bohanna
tally3tally likes this.
post #7 of 439 Old 04-21-2013, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bohanna View Post

The built in tuner alone gives you the option of going anywhere and Cabling in to an existing HD cable service or stringing an OTA antenna up and getting a high quality image with little or no time or effort.
Bohanna

The PA75U actually comes with an OTA antenna. I've been going back and forth trying to decide between the 70G and the 75U, I didn't realize the 75U had HDMI 1.4, I think the wifi, tuner and magic remote were almost enough to tip the scale for me. Just wish it were a little cheaper.

Jay
post #8 of 439 Old 04-21-2013, 05:26 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 22
I'm not sure the lgpa75u comes with hdmi 1.4a. I didn't find it in the manual or LG's website. It could be true but I would think it would be selling feature. Sometimes newegg could list something wrong, maybe link to LG website if you can.

Newegg is selling this for 629 dollars after code. I picked up the pa70g for 399 dollars from fry's a few months ago, I'm not sure paying an extra 229 dollars for tv tuner/wifi would be worth it for me. I have my pa70g hooked up to my tiny htpc or 360 or android on a stick and I use usb hard drive/memory stick with movies, mp3's, so it's portable.
If it was 450 dollars, yeah, I would get it in a heartbeat.

p.s. I checked LG site, best buy, andorama, and a few other places and none of them listed hdmi 1.4a, but newegg does have it listed that way. I would look for confirmation from another source.
post #9 of 439 Old 04-21-2013, 05:56 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 24
Step 1 Bring your Pa75 to a friends house
step 2 hook it up to HIS cable or Use the OTA tuner with a cheap monoprice HD antenna and scan for local HD channels
step 3 run the audio into his sound system with a TRS Y cable or bring your own external audio system
step 4 bring a huge screen or turn his wall into a huge screen
Step 5 dim the lights
step 6 have all your friends come over to HIS house and watch the game or whatever and dazzle your friends
step 7 get a little libatated and/or hemped out on your friends fridge and stash
Step 8 claim all the bragging rights for the month
Step 9 Pack up the Projector and carry it out under your arm
Step 10 Leave the mess for your friend to clean up and feel safe in the knowledge that you are a FREAKING HERO.
Step 11 repeat this as often as possible at various friends houses. ( the free food and other goodies will more than pay for the extra cost of the tuner in no time

cool.gifcool.gifcool.gif

Bohanna
post #10 of 439 Old 04-21-2013, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgtaa View Post

I'm not sure the lgpa75u comes with hdmi 1.4a.
p.s. I checked LG site, best buy, andorama, and a few other places and none of them listed hdmi 1.4a, but newegg does have it listed that way. I would look for confirmation from another source.

I guess Newegg did get it right this time...

edit:
The manual lists the streoscopic 3D formats only possible in HDMI 1.4 so i guess it does have HDMI 1.4
whatever some might say
Wikipedia HDMI 1.4 Description

edit : PA75U has a bluetooth module too..
These specs from the manual found Here
post #11 of 439 Old 04-21-2013, 07:54 PM
Advanced Member

I wonder if the pa70g will get a firmware update, because those specs look very good for the pa75u. And it can do 3d in 30 and 60 cycles. And do 3d via usb port. Maybe lots of us with pa70g can call and ask LG for firmware update, right?
I'm still not sure it's hdmi 1.4a, it was not stated in manual or on site, if you can find that spec in manual show us, because like I said before , I looked and couldn't find it anywhere. just hdmi.
post #12 of 439 Old 04-21-2013, 08:04 PM

Liked: 14
@TaylorAD I have several questions:
1. Does the PA75u support Audio Return Channel (so that you can send TV sound to a compatible receiver and also send high quality sound from the internal media player)?
2. Does it support 2D to 3D conversion within the projector? If it does, is it complicated?
3. Is it possible to possible to safely use DLNA i.e. do you have let your network be open to the internet in order to stream local network files?
4. Does the USB Hub you connected allow you to connect two or more HDDs (or USB media sources)? I have Monoprice USB HHD docking stations. I can ONLY connect the stations without the USB hubs on my older projector.
Also, unless you are extremely lucky or within a couple meters of your access point then you should NOT expect the dongle to get good wi-fi reception. You need to orient the dongle antenna. The easiest way to do that is with a USB extension cable.
post #13 of 439 Old 04-22-2013, 02:06 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by tally3tally View Post

Hi
I was about to take a plunge on either the LG PA70G but just now saw the LG PA75U

I just noticed that the & 75U had several new features which could justify the extra $ 130 of the Newegg LG PA75U Deal vs the regular FRY's LG PA70G Deal for around $499.

Are there still any focus issues with this series tho?

with the hdmi 1.4, does it mean it will do 3D video from a standard bluray player and not only a PC like the PA70?
post #14 of 439 Old 04-22-2013, 02:28 AM

Quote:

I wonder if the pa70g will get a firmware update, because those specs look very good for the pa75u. And it can do 3d in 30 and 60 cycles. And do 3d via usb port. Maybe lots of us with pa70g can call and ask LG for firmware update, right?
I'm still not sure it's hdmi 1.4a, it was not stated in manual or on site, if you can find that spec in manual show us, because like I said before , I looked and couldn't find it anywhere. just hdmi.
RGTAA, does it look to you like the 1.4 hdmi on the PA75 will make it possible to do 3D without a PC, like PS3 or BD player? based on those spec tables
post #15 of 439 Old 04-22-2013, 02:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garibay_2004 View Post

RGTAA, does it look to you like the 1.4 hdmi on the PA75 will make it possible to do 3D without a PC, like PS3 or BD player? based on those spec tables

The thing is I couldn't find that the pa75 has 1.4 hdmi, I looked through the manual, and unless someone can post the page the info in the manual is on or on LG's website, I am not sure it's 1.4a. I'm not saying it's not 1.4 but I was the one that pointed out that it's only stated on newegg site. I want someone just to post where in manual it's listed and page.

As to liking all the ways 3d is done on the pa75, it does sound good, even via usb, and usb is not hdmi, or through component, vga, and they are not hdmi, or wifi, which is not hdmi, I would like firmware update for the pa70g so we can get 3d via usb and do all the other formats. smile.gif

maybe we can get people to call LG or figure out some other way. Although , I really don't NEED 3d, but it would be nice to figuring it out and doing it via usb..
post #16 of 439 Old 04-22-2013, 08:47 AM

Quote:

My metholodogy for arriving at the conclusion that LG PA75U indeed has HDMI 1.4
Number 1

This is the 3D support page on the LG PA70G manual {nowhere in this manual also does LG say that PA70G has HDMI ver1.3}
On the other hand the 3D support page for LG PA75U in its manual shows a whole lot more support for 3D formats all of which become enabled with HDMI1.4

Number 2
The specs at newegg

Number3
Latest HDMI organisation guidelines...found Here

So if LG has to indicate HDMI 1.4 on newest Devices it also has to give a list of functions that it supports

So putting 1,2,3 together i arrived at a firm conclusion that the PA75U has HDMI1.4

PS: it just might be that the PA75U just has a firmware upgrade and has added 3D features over HDMI 1.3 ...but then it also has couple of hardware upgrades like wifi/bluetooth/DTV tuner...so skimping on just HDMI would not make sense(in my view) for LG....
Quote:

I wonder if the pa70g will get a firmware update
A firmware upgrade for PA70G(which would enable 3D & Smartapps) looks highly unlikely on this a short life cycle product...and considering smartapps and 3D over HDMI are Generation advancing features...to say PA70G was first gen and PA75U would be gen2.
Quote:
Originally Posted by garibay_2004 View Post

with the hdmi 1.4, does it mean it will do 3D video from a standard bluray player and not only a PC like the PA70?

Yes, it sure will display 3D from a supported BR 3D player ..thats what 3D over HDMI offers...
(but if you have a 3D disc and only a 2D supported BR Player you would only see a 2D movie)
post #17 of 439 Old 04-22-2013, 09:40 AM

Quote:

My metholodogy for arriving at the conclusion that LG PA75U indeed has HDMI 1.4
Number 1

This is the 3D support page on the LG PA70G manual {nowhere in this manual also does LG say that PA70G has HDMI ver1.3}
On the other hand the 3D support page for LG PA75U in its manual shows a whole lot more support for 3D formats all of which become enabled with HDMI1.4

Number 2
The specs at newegg

Number3
Latest HDMI organisation guidelines...found Here

So if LG has to indicate HDMI 1.4 on newest Devices it also has to give a list of functions that it supports

So putting 1,2,3 together i arrived at a firm conclusion that the PA75U has HDMI1.4

PS: it just might be that the PA75U just has a firmware upgrade and has added 3D features over HDMI 1.3 ...but then it also has couple of hardware upgrades like wifi/bluetooth/DTV tuner...so skimping on just HDMI would not make sense(in my view) for LG....
A firmware upgrade for PA70G(which would enable 3D & Smartapps) looks highly unlikely on this a short life cycle product...and considering smartapps and 3D over HDMI are Generation advancing features...to say PA70G was first gen and PA75U would be gen2.
Yes, it sure will display 3D from a supported BR 3D player ..thats what 3D over HDMI offers...
(but if you have a 3D disc and only a 2D supported BR Player you would only see a 2D movie)
Are 100% sure that it will do 3D with a PS3 over HDMI? sorry to re-ask the question, but it seems that it's something LG would clearly advertise
post #18 of 439 Old 04-22-2013, 10:19 PM

newegg has this projector for $630 shipped this week, sale ends 4/25:D
post #19 of 439 Old 04-23-2013, 01:55 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Hi, Does anyone know whether the PA75U supports 240V? I'm from Australia but can't find one locally. Also, is the US digital TV standard compatible with Australia?
post #20 of 439 Old 04-23-2013, 03:22 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Very interesting the new 3D options...3D via usb, more 3D formats and resolutions,3D with a Bluray player or PS3? smile.gif
Maybe we can see also a new version of PB60G... PB65G?
post #21 of 439 Old 04-23-2013, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotjt133 View Post

Hi, Does anyone know whether the PA75U supports 240V? I'm from Australia but can't find one locally. Also, is the US digital TV standard compatible with Australia?
hi i asked the same question to a indian buyer and got this response ...for the PA70G
so i guess 230V works

I Quote "Good Evening

I gather that you purchased a LG PA70G from Fry's USA

can you please let me know if it works on 230V or are yyou using a stepdown transformer with it and if you are using one which make

a kind reply would be great
thanks and regards

The power supply is external and is included in the package. The unit I purchased from Fry.com The power supply accepts the 110 to 230 volts and gives output of 17 volts.
The supply is SMPS type"
post #22 of 439 Old 04-23-2013, 04:35 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:

The power supply is external and is included in the package. The unit I purchased from Fry.com The power supply accepts the 110 to 230 volts and gives output of 17 volts.
The supply is SMPS type"

Thanks. Now the power issue is resolved. But I did some more research and found US DTV standard is different. Bugger...

All I want is a nicely integrated tuner so I don't need another STB and power plug and remote. So the idea is a no go...
post #23 of 439 Old 04-24-2013, 09:54 AM

Liked: 14
I just spoke to Troy at LG Tech Support (888 865-3026). The PA75U does not support Audio Return Channel (HDMI 1.4a feature). That means that you cannot play 5.1 channel HDTV sound via a HDMI cable connected to your sound system. It also implies that you cannot use the media player to output surround sound.
post #24 of 439 Old 04-24-2013, 10:54 AM

Hi,

I have a plan to purchase this LG PA75U projector. But I have a doubt regarding the gaming support.

Anybody played XBox 360 games on this one? How about the lagging/latency?

Mostly I'll play COD, Battlefield 3. So will this projector suits to gaming needs?

Please share your views.
post #25 of 439 Old 04-24-2013, 02:38 PM
Advanced Member

I have used the pa70g to play those games you mentioned, cod and battlefield 3 and it has low lag, very good for multiplayer gaming. So I would expect the pa75u could do it without problems.

Now, I got a question for you guys, I think we have to call LG collectively and ask to have a PJ tech dept. Because I was just on the phone today, and they transferred me a number of times because the PJ doesn't FIT in the TV section of service or the Computer section. And the person I talked to said NO PJ get's firmware updates, just tv's.

I think it is important if you are gonna spend this type of money on a product that you can contact some tech person who knows about the PJ, and has access to latest info.

Try it yourself, give them a call, at 18888653026 and say you are "interested in buying this PJ" ask to speak to someone in tech that knows about LG PJ's and ask about firmware updates or other things and report back.

It could effect my buying decision if I tried to call a company and they had NO DEPT to handle PJ's, and just get passed around from dept to dept. Also, ask questions, a real tech should have access to info about product.
post #26 of 439 Old 04-25-2013, 07:32 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaniDread View Post

Hi,

I have a plan to purchase this LG PA75U projector. But I have a doubt regarding the gaming support.

Anybody played XBox 360 games on this one? How about the lagging/latency?

Mostly I'll play COD, Battlefield 3. So will this projector suits to gaming needs?

Please share your views.

I have the PA75U and it seems to work fine with my PS3 games regarding lag. I've played COD (online multiplayer) , Uncharted 3 and Need for Speed Most Wanted so far and it has been the same in terms of lag as my 47" Vizio that I had been playing on previously. I haven't done any true lag testing so this is just my opinion from my experience so far.

I am using the "Game" setting and calibrated the projector using the Disney WOW blu ray. So far I am very happy with the projector and it suits my needs fine with using it for my PS3 and Directv.

I bought it from Best Buy and did have to make 2 exchanges because the first 2 had corner focus issues (Just like the PA70G had/has issues with). This 3rd one is great and focus is even throughout.
post #27 of 439 Old 04-25-2013, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgronseth View Post

I have the PA75U and it seems to work fine with my PS3 games regarding lag. I've played COD (online multiplayer) , Uncharted 3 and Need for Speed Most Wanted so far and it has been the same in terms of lag as my 47" Vizio that I had been playing on previously. I haven't done any true lag testing so this is just my opinion from my experience so far.

I am using the "Game" setting and calibrated the projector using the Disney WOW blu ray. So far I am very happy with the projector and it suits my needs fine with using it for my PS3 and Directv.

I bought it from Best Buy and did have to make 2 exchanges because the first 2 had corner focus issues (Just like the PA70G had/has issues with). This 3rd one is great and focus is even throughout.

Hi, kgronseth can try a MKV 3D SBS file via USB,via 3D Bluray player or PS3? 3D works without the need to use a PC?
post #28 of 439 Old 04-25-2013, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by espetodesardina View Post

Hi, kgronseth can try a MKV 3D SBS file via USB,via 3D Bluray player or PS3? 3D works without the need to use a PC?

I can try but I don't have any source material that is 3D (or 3D glasses), except I think Uncharted 3 maybe has 3D content? But I can maybe try and see if I can at least get a 3D signal to be sent through to the projector from the PS3? I'd probably have to re-route my HDMI cable to by pass my receiver and plug directly into the PS3 since my receiver is about 6 yrs old and probably not capable of passing a 3D signal through it.

My main HDMI cable is run through the ceiling and attached to an in-ceiling HDMI outlet right next to the projector, would I need to by pass that outlet some how too or would the 3D just pass through that since it just a connector basically?
post #29 of 439 Old 04-25-2013, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgronseth View Post

I can try but I don't have any source material that is 3D (or 3D glasses), except I think Uncharted 3 maybe has 3D content? But I can maybe try and see if I can at least get a 3D signal to be sent through to the projector from the PS3? I'd probably have to re-route my HDMI cable to by pass my receiver and plug directly into the PS3 since my receiver is about 6 yrs old and probably not capable of passing a 3D signal through it.

My main HDMI cable is run through the ceiling and attached to an in-ceiling HDMI outlet right next to the projector, would I need to by pass that outlet some how too or would the 3D just pass through that since it just a connector basically?

More simple,get a youtube video (3D SBS) ,enter it in a pen drive and plug it into the USB port.When played on the projector press the 3D button on the remote control to see if they join the two images of the video in a single.
post #30 of 439 Old 04-25-2013, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by espetodesardina View Post

More simple,get a youtube video (3D SBS) ,enter it in a pen drive and plug it into the USB port.When played on the projector press the 3D button on the remote control to see if they join the two images of the video in a single.

I'll see what I can do and try to test it out tonight.

So I have never done any 3D files before or know how they work so forgive my ignorance...when I play one of these 3D SBS files off a USB drive and hit the 3D button on the projector, if it works it should look like one single image vs the 2 side by side images? If it works and is one single image, how will it look since I don't have 3D glasses? I'm just trying to know what to expect so I can give the proper feedback on if it worked properly.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Lg Pa75u Dlp Home Theater Projector

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page