First projector setup, possible suggestions? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 04-18-2013, 06:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm about to jump into the projector arena, and I usually don't make a jump into something home theater I'm unfamiliar about without looking around AVS first, so I was hoping to post what I'm planning and hopefully someone can tell me if there is anything "wrong" with what I'm planning, offer alternatives that may be better, or if this should be good.

My plan:

I am looking at grabbing the Epson 8350 and the FAVI HD-100 screen (http://www.amazon.com/FAVI-HD-100-16-100-Inch-Projector/dp/B0017S37IG/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1365370681&sr=8-6&keywords=projector+screen)

My room is about 17' long, it does have white walls and a white drop ceiling (the room is very wide, the screen will be about 5' from the left wall, and 15' from the right). There is a small window but we have had no problems blocking nearly 100% of the light from that window in the past.

I want to mount the screen so that it slides open in front of my existing LCD (so I can keep the LCD for watching in lighted conditions, playing video games, watching TV while eating, etc) and the Projector will be used mostly for movies and when low light is possible.

Based on the specs of the screen, the picture will be projected at 9" below the ceiling, the projector will be about 14' - 15' from screen mounted on the rear wall (ideally the screen would be mounted at around 7' from the ground to keep it above eye level, which is going to put it at around a foot down from the ceiling), and people will be sitting about 7'-10' from the screen (we have some play with that depending where we move couch and chairs).

Does anyone seen any issues with what I'm planning? Any suggestions of what I should consider doing differently to get the ideal situation, or different projector/screen in a similar price range that would be better (I would spend a little more if it would make a noticeable improvement)? Any caveats I should be aware of or things to be careful to keep in mind when doing the installation?

I appreciate any input and expertise anyone can provide, this is my first projector setup so I thought it best to ask some experts before moving forward.

Thank you!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 04-18-2013, 02:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 39
A good starting place to compare some pj's in the same general price range. http://www.avsforum.com/t/1391476/coderguys-top-projector-picks His calculator link, in the sig, can give you a pretty good idea on brightness numbers with different sizes and gain of screens you may choose.

The 8350 has a benefit of versatile placement flexibility. Most inexpensive dlp pj's have none, or limited flexibility for placement, so you should be ok there. I have no opinion on screens, but I've seen people state the inexpensive Elite screens have been fine. There have been some issues with the 8350's, so you might want to check out that specific thread to see what you might run into. http://www.avsforum.com/t/1280137/the-offical-epson-8350-owners-thread

Last years Epson 3010 might be an option for around $1k, a brighter pj that does 3d, but it has limited placement due to lack of a lens shift feature. I think some people thought the blacks were a little lacking compared to the 8350? http://www.projectorreviews.com/epson/home-cinema-3010/competitors.php
mattbooty likes this.
post #3 of 12 Old 04-18-2013, 02:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Another good site is projector central, just look around and see what you like and settings, it even gives you a projection calculator so that you can see how far your screen has to be from your projector, this site is another excellent tool. Good luck.

http://www.projectorcentral.com/
mattbooty likes this.

Ralph
post #4 of 12 Old 04-19-2013, 06:50 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses. I did already look through that 8350 thread, and I recognize there are some reliability issues with the 8350, but it seems like it may be worth it for the picture quality, which it sounds like it is pretty unmatched in that price range.

Should I be ok with that screen size having the projector around 14'-15' from the screen? Or should I think about a ceiling mount to try to get it closer?

I'm going to look into the Elite screen, it is the same price range as the FAVI i was looking at and despite the 1.1 gain (vs 1.3 on the FAVI) it sounds like that may be a better screen, so thank you for the recommendation!
post #5 of 12 Old 04-19-2013, 07:16 AM - Thread Starter

I looked through the link to coderguy's top picks and he seems really high on the BenQ W1070, which would actually be a few hundy cheaper than the Epson 8350. Would I be better off going with that and ceiling mounting the unit closer to the screen (since the BenQ doesn't have the same placement options)? I'm mostly concerned with getting the best picture possible (in my price range) and will make concessions on the install/placement gladly if it will improve the final product.
post #6 of 12 Old 04-19-2013, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member

If it were me, I'd try to make the Benq work, if you have no problems with rainbows, (RBE) since it's a DLP tech or just prefer the lcd look. It may not be an issue, especially after the bulb dims, or using an added ND filter to reduce the brightness, and consequently the effect.

It's currently on sale I think at newegg, http://www.avsforum.com/t/1468954/newegg-has-the-benq-w1070-projector-for-899-after-code-emcxswl25 Price wise, especially with the 3D capability it brings, It's hard to beat.

As I mentioned, you can use his calc, http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com/ to look at the brightness numbers to determine if that distance and screen size should work, bearing in mind the bulb will dim somewhat as it ages.
post #7 of 12 Old 04-19-2013, 12:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnabq View Post

If it were me, I'd try to make the Benq work, if you have no problems with rainbows, (RBE) since it's a DLP tech or just prefer the lcd look.

Are you saying the BenQ has problems with rainbows? I'm sorry, I am having trouble understanding what you mean in that sentence.
post #8 of 12 Old 04-20-2013, 02:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattbooty View Post

Are you saying the BenQ has problems with rainbows? I'm sorry, I am having trouble understanding what you mean in that sentence.

RBE, or rainbows, http://www.projectorreviews.com/advice/HomeTheaterProjector-FAQs/ProjectorsRainbowEffect.php
It does seem to be less so than some of the other less expensive dlp projectors from what I understand, but the effect might still be seen with some bright light sources, in a dark scene.
mattbooty likes this.
post #9 of 12 Old 04-20-2013, 11:29 AM - Thread Starter

Would that also affect the Epson? And to a greater or lesser extent?
post #10 of 12 Old 04-20-2013, 02:59 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattbooty View Post

Would that also affect the Epson? And to a greater or lesser extent?

The Epson 8350 is LCD, so no rainbow issues there. My setup is pretty close to yours, only mine is shelf mounted instead of ceiling mounted. I'm shooting 106" from 15 feet and the picture is awesome. You can get a refub 8350 from Visual Apex or directly from Epson for $899, slightly less than a new 1070. It comes with a 2 year warranty on the unit and 90 days on the lamp. You probably can't go wrong either way, but if placement flexibility is important, the Epson is hard to beat.
mattbooty likes this.

XBL GT: deathpallie
post #11 of 12 Old 04-20-2013, 05:11 PM - Thread Starter

PQ would be my most important factor, but placement flexibility is nice. Also my local best buy has the Epson so if I get a dud I can return in store for less hassle. Reviews seem to like the sharpness and reliability of the BenQ, but I'm a little scared on the rainbow and won't use the 3d so that's not a deciding factor.

Another question, would I see any benefit for ceiling mounting the Epson closer to the screen? Or would it make no difference to the picture whether its 10 feet or15 feet?
post #12 of 12 Old 04-20-2013, 05:38 PM
AVS Special Member

If you use the calculator I linked to, you can see the brightness differences, closer is brighter with generally a little less contrast. 15' is about the middle of the throw range of that pj and the difference in brightness is 19.7 lumens at 15' and 23.5 lumens at 10', for that 100" 1.3 gain Favi screen. 10' might be a little to bright, unless you drop down to a screen with about 1.0 gain. Distance of 15' for that screen/gain should be fine.
mattbooty likes this.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page