AVS Forum

AVS Forum (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-digital-projectors-under-3-000-usd-msrp/)
-   -   what connection should I use to get 1080 or 720 (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-digital-projectors-under-3-000-usd-msrp/1469113-what-connection-should-i-use-get-1080-720-a.html)

squirrellydw 04-20-2013 09:23 AM

Hi all, I have an old projector 3M MP7640i that I want to hook up and get the best picture possible just to play around with. This is what the manual says,

RGB IN, COMPONENT VIDEO
(HDTV signals : 1125i (1035i/1080i), 750p)

VIDEO IN, S-VIDEO IN, COMPONENT VIDEO
(Non-HDTV signals : 525i, 525p,625i)

Does this mean I need to use RGB to get 1080i or 720p, I assume they mean 720 and not 750.

Here is the link to the manual
http://www.projectorcentral.com/pdf/projector_manual_1299.pdf

Thanks

Ron Jones 04-20-2013 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrellydw View Post

Hi all, I have an old projector 3M MP7640i that I want to hook up and get the best picture possible just to play around with. This is what the manual says,

RGB IN, COMPONENT VIDEO

Does this mean I need to use RGB to get 1080i or 720p, I assume they mean 720 and not 750.

Here is the link to the manual
http://www.projectorcentral.com/pdf/projector_manual_1299.pdf

Thanks

According to the spec. page in the projector's manual your projector is basically a standard definition model (or enhanced defintion, but not high definition) since its native resolution is only 800 x 600 pixels and with a 3 x 4 aspect ratio. For an HD input, with its 16 x 9 aspect ratio the best it can actually display is a 480p image (but 800 pixels wide and this format is called enhanced definition). It does appear from the manual that the only way to input an HD signal is via RGB input, but today there are almost no HD source components (e.g., Blu-ray players, HD cable TV boxes or HD satellite recievers/DVRs) that offer a RGB output. However a computer equipped with a blu-ray drive could be used as the HD source. In any case, remember that this projector is not a HD projector, therefore you will not see actually HD images on the screen.

squirrellydw 04-20-2013 11:34 AM

thank you, I got it for free and just wanted to play around with it. What if I used a component to RGB, would that work? Page 22 metions 16x9 and 1080i thats why I thought it might be able to do it.

jnabq 04-20-2013 07:00 PM

Press the ASPECT button
RGB IN, COMPONENT VIDEO
SEARCH
ASPECT
4:3
16:9
4:3 16:9 SMALL

That explains how to change the "aspect" or shape of the image, ie:, square, 4:3 or letterbox image, 16:9 when sending the unit different input signal sources. It may accept a 1080i signal, but it will only display that 1080i signal to the highest resolution it's capable of, which is 800x600. No matter how you connect the signal sources, rgb, etc., the projector can only produce the highest resolution it was designed for.

Psythik 04-20-2013 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrellydw View Post

thank you, I got it for free and just wanted to play around with it. What if I used a component to RGB, would that work? Page 22 metions 16x9 and 1080i thats why I thought it might be able to do it.
No, because like Ron Jones said, you need an RGB source, like a computer. Even with an adapter, DVD/Blu Ray players, game consoles, satellite boxes, etc. still output YCbCr, not RGB. RGB is a type of color output, not a connector like you thought. The easiest way to go about it is to buy a Blu Ray drive for your PC, and a tuner for PC if you want to watch TV/Satellite/Cable.

Allan Jayne 04-21-2013 10:50 AM

If the projector really accepts component video then you can feed component video from a DVD player or ATSC HDTV tuner (using three RCA plug ended cables) to the respective clusters of jacks.

Either there will be a manual setting somewhere, maybe in a menu, or the difference between RGB and component video will be determined by use of the RCA jack cluster versus the VGA jack.

A cable with red, white, and yellow jacks may or may not work correctly. This depends on the quality of the wiring between the jacks which cannot be determined just by looking at the cable.

Compared to RGB, component video is vaguely red, white, and blue. Formally there are minute formatting differences but usually interchanging the two by mistake (keeping the same resolution such as 1080i) will still give an intelligible although discolored picture.

Component video always has the synchronizing pulses combined with the Y subsignal. RGB may have sync on green, sync on a fourth cable, or separate horizontal and vertical sync on fourth and fifth cables.

squirrellydw 04-21-2013 01:08 PM

Thank you all. I plan on getting an HD projector but want to play with one first to get an idea of size.