"Lampless" projector questions - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 04-22-2013, 06:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I ended up removing my dedicated theater a year ago. It was a hard choice but the room had become a "weekend only" use type room. During the week, I never have a huge chunk of time to dedicate to one particular thing so it seemed like a waste to turn my projector on for only a half hour or turn it on and leave it running for a 3-4 hours and only watch it for an hour total during that time.

Bulb life was the one thing i constantly worried about which is why i never really bothered turning it on during the week. I only used it when I knew i had the time to take advantage of it. I miss the room very much and hearing news of new projectors that get 20,000 hours of use is amazing. I am totally confused as to what these projectors are though. Does anyone have a best guess of when we can expect to see major manufacturers have these out at affordable prices for home theater use?

What are these projectors called? Any info would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2013, 06:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 130
LED projectors... Fearing replacing a lamp that is a know consumable with a known cost seems kind of silly .. You didn't use the projector because you didn't want to spend the money when your lamp eventually failed and then you remove the room because you didn't use it. Seems like you wasted far more money in the long run than had you used your equipment.
Old 04-22-2013, 07:13 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Does it have to be all or nothing? Why not skip the dedicated theater and instead setup a projector as part of a multi-use room? That is what I have done in my basement due to limited space - I don't have room for a fully dedicated home theater. Like you, I had some concerns about the bulb life, particularly with young kids who would be turning the projector on and off all the time like a TV. So I got the LG PA70G LED projector. While it doesn't match the image quality of more expensive traditional bulb projectors, for $450 it has turned out to be one of the best purchases I ever made. No TV can match the 100" image size at that price - it is loads of fun and gets lots of usage - and I don't worry about it.

Or for a few hundred more, you can get 1080p budget traditional bulb projectors these days on sale in the $600-$700 range. Take some care of the bulb and with luck you could have years of fun with a traditional bulb projector as well. Perfection and zero risk are a fool's errand in my opinion. Get a budget projector so you are not into it for a lot of cash, and that will ease your mind, even if a bulb happens to fail. Then enjoy watching the big image. I am just mad I waited so long to get a projector!