Benq w1070 ceiling mount question! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 04-22-2013, 08:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So I bit the bullet and got the newegg deal on the benq w1070. After researching so many different projectors I finally took seeing this great deal as a sign and ran with it. Hopefully it won't disappoint!

I plan to ceiling mount this projector in my basement with 8ft ceilings with a screen size of right around 100". Will I need an extension for the projector mount? I can't seem to be able to find the calculator or go to place for an answer and am turning to you all. I can find distance placement, but not how far down the projector would need to be. I think the projector has lens shift-will that help with placement? But does it effect image quality?

My screen will be set 18" off the floor to be closer to a natural horizontal line of vision.

Thanks so much for any advice! smile.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 04-23-2013, 07:47 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm having 8 feet ceiling and bought 120 inch screen for this projector. I will be installing this on ceiling on Friday, i will let you know how it goes.

i bought peerless mount, i also bough the extension, just in case, not sure it required.
post #3 of 15 Old 04-23-2013, 02:43 PM

Here's the calculator:
http://www.benq.com/microsite/projector/throwratiocalculator/

Based on a 8ft ceiling and bottom of screen 18" from the floor, ceiling to projector height is 2' 5" according to the calculator.
post #4 of 15 Old 06-14-2013, 07:12 AM

Did you get your BenQ set up? I am purchasing the same and my ceiling is about 8'8". The BenQ calculator hows that my mount needs to be 2'1" from the ceiling. That seems pretty low. Also, having trouble finding a mount that extends that far. How did you end up doing?
post #5 of 15 Old 06-14-2013, 10:07 AM

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirrors View Post

Did you get your BenQ set up? I am purchasing the same and my ceiling is about 8'8". The BenQ calculator hows that my mount needs to be 2'1" from the ceiling. That seems pretty low. Also, having trouble finding a mount that extends that far. How did you end up doing?

According to BenQ's specs, the 1070 has an adjustable vertical throw of 10-30% the size of the screen. So for example, with a 100" screen, which is 49" high, the projector should sit ~5 - 15" below/above the screen.

So in order for you to know the limit of where to put your projector, do the following:

[Projector Highest mount point] = [Screen Height] * 0.3 - [Top Edge of screen in relation to ceiling]

That should give you a good approximation. For example for a 100" screen:

X = 49 * 0.3 - 25"
X = -10.3

So the projector must have a drop of about 10 inches or more.

Hope I'm not providing you the wrong information, but that's the way I computed it. My 1070 + screen will be here next week... will be in a position to answer more questions at that point.

Internet Certified Electrical Engineer
"I am just looking for an honest man."
post #6 of 15 Old 06-15-2013, 02:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///3oris View Post

According to BenQ's specs, the 1070 has an adjustable vertical throw of 10-30% the size of the screen. So for example, with a 100" screen, which is 49" high, the projector should sit ~5 - 15" below/above the screen.

So in order for you to know the limit of where to put your projector, do the following:

[Projector Highest mount point] = [Screen Height] * 0.3 - [Top Edge of screen in relation to ceiling]

That should give you a good approximation. For example for a 100" screen:

X = 49 * 0.3 - 25"
X = -10.3

So the projector must have a drop of about 10 inches or more.

Hope I'm not providing you the wrong information, but that's the way I computed it. My 1070 + screen will be here next week... will be in a position to answer more questions at that point.

I don't think that info is correct in this case, but I've been wrong before. From the guy that wrote the book on his calc, they discuss the mounting options on another build that might help clarify? I know I can't. http://www.avsforum.com/t/1474571/would-a-projector-work-for-me/90#post_23419244
post #7 of 15 Old 06-15-2013, 07:46 PM

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnabq View Post

I don't think that info is correct in this case, but I've been wrong before. From the guy that wrote the book on his calc, they discuss the mounting options on another build that might help clarify? I know I can't. http://www.avsforum.com/t/1474571/would-a-projector-work-for-me/90#post_23419244

Just put the numbers into the calculator and got the same exact result smile.gif. Minimum 10" drop from ceiling (assuming I'm reading those results correctly)

Internet Certified Electrical Engineer
"I am just looking for an honest man."
post #8 of 15 Old 06-15-2013, 09:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///3oris View Post

Just put the numbers into the calculator and got the same exact result smile.gif. Minimum 10" drop from ceiling (assuming I'm reading those results correctly)

And my result with the bottom of the screen at, 2' off the floor, the pj is at 2' 4" from ceiling, and top of screen is 2' 7", so pj is 3" above the top of the screen.

2.jpg 91k .jpg file

But, I read your statement, "So the projector must have a drop of about 10 inches or more." as being a drop below the screen top.... So you were referring to a 10" drop from the ceiling which makes sense.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (90.7 KB, 115 views)
post #9 of 15 Old 06-17-2013, 12:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
So, if I have an eight foot ceiling and mount this projector at 6" from ceiling, where will the top of my screen need to be, minus trim of screen of course? Would the same be true for the 1080st? Thanks.

XBOX Gamertag:deezusmusic
post #10 of 15 Old 06-17-2013, 12:16 PM

I've been trolling for a while, and haven't found a solid answer for this yet. I'm going to be picking up a W1070 and putting in my basement with 2x2' drop ceiling tiles. I have pretty low ceilings (about 6'10"), so I am going to need to have the projector mounted as flush as possible with the ceiling. Screen will be 100" and I'd like to keep the screen at least 18" off of the floor. My throw distance won't really matter as I have about a 30' long space it's going in. I'm looking for any suggested mounts that will work well with a drop ceiling. Thanks!
post #11 of 15 Old 06-17-2013, 02:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by takedatewitchu View Post

I've been trolling for a while, and haven't found a solid answer for this yet. I'm going to be picking up a W1070 and putting in my basement with 2x2' drop ceiling tiles. I have pretty low ceilings (about 6'10"), so I am going to need to have the projector mounted as flush as possible with the ceiling. Screen will be 100" and I'd like to keep the screen at least 18" off of the floor. My throw distance won't really matter as I have about a 30' long space it's going in. I'm looking for any suggested mounts that will work well with a drop ceiling. Thanks!
The W1070 needs to be 3" above the top of the screen.

18" + 49" = 67" from the floor to the top of the screen.
More importantly...
82" - 67" = 15" from the ceiling to the top of the screen.

Center of projector lens must be 12" from the ceiling.

Almost any mount which offers an adjustable column length will allow this to work. You do have some lens shift with the W1070 which calls out about a 20% of image height shift, so it does seem like you have about 10" of total play with that image height, but I can't tell you where the high low points are... From the Projector Central review, the indication is that the lowest point would be even with the top edge of the screen - which means 15" from the ceiling. The top most position would be about 20% of the screen height which is about 9" higher, so about 6" away from the ceiling. Unfortunately, the Projector Reviews website has a review which states explicitly that the W1070 can only be about 6" above the top of a 100" diagonal image. I have not personally played with the lens shift on my projector enough to know for sure what the full range is, and the BenQ manual does NOT list the range for which the W1070 can actually handle.

Still, this range of several inches will work with many universal mounts.

I'm personally a huge fan of the Chief RPMAU mount which is expensive, but better than any other mount I've ever laid my hands on and allows you to use an extension column of your own choosing.
dabsabre and takedatewitchu like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #12 of 15 Old 06-18-2013, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated View Post

The W1070 needs to be 3" above the top of the screen.

18" + 49" = 67" from the floor to the top of the screen.
More importantly...
82" - 67" = 15" from the ceiling to the top of the screen.

Center of projector lens must be 12" from the ceiling.

Almost any mount which offers an adjustable column length will allow this to work. You do have some lens shift with the W1070 which calls out about a 20% of image height shift, so it does seem like you have about 10" of total play with that image height, but I can't tell you where the high low points are... From the Projector Central review, the indication is that the lowest point would be even with the top edge of the screen - which means 15" from the ceiling. The top most position would be about 20% of the screen height which is about 9" higher, so about 6" away from the ceiling. Unfortunately, the Projector Reviews website has a review which states explicitly that the W1070 can only be about 6" above the top of a 100" diagonal image. I have not personally played with the lens shift on my projector enough to know for sure what the full range is, and the BenQ manual does NOT list the range for which the W1070 can actually handle.

Still, this range of several inches will work with many universal mounts.

I'm personally a huge fan of the Chief RPMAU mount which is expensive, but better than any other mount I've ever laid my hands on and allows you to use an extension column of your own choosing.

Thanks a ton for the info.
post #13 of 15 Old 07-22-2014, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by solaris72 View Post
I'm having 8 feet ceiling and bought 120 inch screen for this projector. I will be installing this on ceiling on Friday, i will let you know how it goes.

i bought peerless mount, i also bough the extension, just in case, not sure it required.
How did it go? This is relevant to me with 8 feet ceilings (actually 7'9") and a 120" screen.

It's hard to love Martin Logans and 2.35:1 CIH at the same time...
post #14 of 15 Old 07-22-2014, 10:12 AM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I am interested in this too.
How are you guys routing your hdmi and power cables? I was thinking about just doing a small hole for both cables very close to the projector and putting a generic "dummy" plate around it and then doing the same for the electric projector screen and then just having a plug in the attic and running both with a surge protector instead of actually having 2 separate new plug boxes.
post #15 of 15 Old 07-22-2014, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akm3 View Post
How did it go? This is relevant to me with 8 feet ceilings (actually 7'9") and a 120" screen.
I installed a 106" fixed frame screen with 7'6" ceilings and had 0 issues. Screen dimensions (frame included) are 96" x 54"
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BZj4vo9CYAMzH9k.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	30.5 KB
ID:	174538  
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Benq W1070 3d Ready Dlp Projector 1080p Hdtv , Chief Speed Connect Rpmau Projector Ceiling Mount With Keyed Locking Rpmau
Gear in this thread - W1070 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page