First Time Buyer: Benq W7000 Projector + Screen Advice - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 04-23-2013, 10:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello,

I have been reading these forums for quite a while as I have researched projectors and debated getting one to be used in my living room as a home entertainment projector.

I have the following criteria:

Cost is below $2000
Substantial Lens Shift Required
Small size (depth)
High Lumen Output (2000+)

I will be mounting the projector on a rear shelf above my couch that would be approximately level with the top 1/3 of the screen. The projector would be about 12' 7" from the projector lens to the screen surface. The shelf is approx 11" deep however I think I can rig something up to accommodate slightly larger depth projector.

The only projector that I can find that seems to meet all of my criteria is the BenQ W7000. Based on my calcuations I should be able to project a 106" image with this throw distance (12' 7") on the projector. I have used both the calculator on projector central and the BenQ official website.

Projector: BenQ W7000
Screen: Elunevision Elara 106" 1.2 Gain White Fixed Frame Screen

Does this setup seem like a good combination?

In addition I have the following questions:

Does this projector have quality issues? Reviews seem favourable but their seem to be a lot of user issues in the owners thread?
Does the screen fit well with this projector?
Are they now shipping with the updated firmware?
Would I be at the high brightness or low brightness end of the zoom?
How big of a worry are "Rainbow Effects" ? (Please see below note)
My room has uncovered arch windows that let in the daylight (shines on opposite wall of projector) I realize this will compromise image quality but should it still be "watchable" for a sporting event during the day if required?

Note on RBE * I was initially attracted to LCD technology as mention of "rainbow effect" scared me however their large size was not very compatible with my rear shelf. Watching videos of DLP projectors on Youtube I can definitely see rainbowish type waves. is this related to an issue with the camera recording and not actually the "rainbow effect " that is talked about? I have only been able to preview LCD projectors in the store and they have looked amazing but have not had the opportunity to view personal home use DLP projectors in person.

Any help that you could provide would be appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 04-24-2013, 06:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Welcome aboard, you will probably get a lot responses if you were to post your posting at the BenQ thread, located below.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1435626/benq-w1070-dlp-full-hd-3d-ready-with-lens-shift-for-1000

Ralph
post #3 of 13 Old 04-24-2013, 08:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 39
post #4 of 13 Old 04-25-2013, 07:24 AM
AVS Special Member

I've got 20 hours on mine (w7000), so keep that in mind as you read my response. I'm no projector expert, but I did learn a thing or two about the 7K these last few days.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectorPower View Post

Hello,

I have been reading these forums for quite a while as I have researched projectors and debated getting one to be used in my living room as a home entertainment projector.

I have the following criteria:

Cost is below $2000 Yep
Substantial Lens Shift Required Yep
Small size (depth) Yep
High Lumen Output (2000+) Hmmm...

I will be mounting the projector on a rear shelf above my couch that would be approximately level with the top 1/3 of the screen. The projector would be about 12' 7" from the projector lens to the screen surface. The shelf is approx 11" deep however I think I can rig something up to accommodate slightly larger depth projector.

The only projector that I can find that seems to meet all of my criteria is the BenQ W7000. Another Hmmm... Based on my calcuations I should be able to project a 106" image with this throw distance (12' 7") on the projector. I have used both the calculator on projector central and the BenQ official website. Probably going to end up closer to 104/105. It never quite works out as expected.

Projector: BenQ W7000
Screen: Elunevision Elara 106" 1.2 Gain White Fixed Frame Screen

Does this setup seem like a good combination? Not particularly. But, below you add some info that clouds my opinion. More below.

In addition I have the following questions:

Does this projector have quality issues? Reviews seem favourable but their seem to be a lot of user issues in the owners thread? From my reading, it seems they've been worked out, but it had more than a few early on.
Does the screen fit well with this projector? Not sure what you mean here?
Are they now shipping with the updated firmware? It appears so, but you can't tell from the version #, since the new projectors are some new model number still branded W7000, but using a brand new 1.0fw.
Would I be at the high brightness or low brightness end of the zoom? VERY high. I am currently waiting for a .6 gain screen to arrive. With a 1.2gain screen, mine at 102" right now makes my eyes ache the next day it's so bright. Again, on this, more below.
How big of a worry are "Rainbow Effects" ? (Please see below note) Zero worry if you ask me. I've had literally hundreds of people watch movies on my old Infocus X10 and never a single one say anything or feel anything in 3 years. This pj is faster (color wheel) and more segments. Doubtful anyone will ever see RBE again, but it seems perpetuated ad infinitum.
My room has uncovered arch windows that let in the daylight (shines on opposite wall of projector) I realize this will compromise image quality but should it still be "watchable" for a sporting event during the day if required? Depends on what you call watchable. Post photos of the room for a better assessment. If you can take photos in that room handheld and with no flash during the day, then I'll say thats too bright, even for this projector. But I will defer to others with experience on that. For me, no, those windows would need blinds at a minimum. My room has two doors open, one all the time facing away from the sun, and one that leads to another room which faces the sun. For my X10, I had a curtain for that door, but only used it on very sunny days, and could still "See" regardless if it was open or closed. With this projector, that will probably never need used again, but my walls are all painted dark/flat and my floor is dark, so the room is very dark. I'd probably worry more about light reflection back on the screen from your walls than I would the sun. But again, need pics to see. What color are your walls and ceiling?

Note on RBE * I was initially attracted to LCD technology as mention of "rainbow effect" scared me however their large size was not very compatible with my rear shelf. Watching videos of DLP projectors on Youtube I can definitely see rainbowish type waves. is this related to an issue with the camera recording and not actually the "rainbow effect " that is talked about? I have only been able to preview LCD projectors in the store and they have looked amazing but have not had the opportunity to view personal home use DLP projectors in person. As a person who was nauseas within seconds of seeing the very earliest RPTVs, and who could not sit in an adjacent room because the semi gloss walls reflected a pulsating light that drove me insane, newer DLP's cause me zero problems (many thousands of hours viewing). If you see an artifact, you're a better man than I am.

Any help that you could provide would be appreciated!
post #5 of 13 Old 04-25-2013, 07:28 AM
AVS Special Member

I should note about my "Hmmm" concerning lumens. I'm using mine on Cinema mode which is roughly half the total light output. At this level, on the 1.2 gain 102" screen, it's been painful for viewers. Several say they feel eyestrain in minutes. ND filters are pretty common for these if you read the W7000 thread. On any of the other full power modes, it is unwatchable. I'd need to wear sunglasses, if not a welding mask. tongue.gif With a lot of ambient light, it's no big deal.
post #6 of 13 Old 04-28-2013, 12:26 AM - Thread Starter

I just wanted to thank everyone for their replies. Especially K-Spaz!

Thanks for taking the time to help me out...much appreciated!

Never really considered that the projector would be TOO bright...haha

My walls are light sandy brown and the ceiling is white although the ceiling is quite high (peaked ceiling approx 18 ft at peak not sure how this will effect things) Like I mentioned there is a fairly large arched window that is not covered so the room will have some ambient light even at nighttime.

Thanks again for all your help!
post #7 of 13 Old 04-28-2013, 07:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 147
It won't be too bright, the Benq w7000 IRIS can function as a lumens dampener by changing a simple setting in the service menu. You will lose the dynamic IRIS temporarily until the lamp wears in. In other words, there really is no such thing as TOO bright on the w7000 because of the IRIS capabilities in the service menu (takes 10 seconds to adjust it), but if you clamp the IRIS way way down then you can see some flicker sometimes.

That said, you can also buy an ND filter for $30 to $50 and use that as well.

Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

post #8 of 13 Old 04-28-2013, 11:46 AM - Thread Starter

cool! I think I read somewhere that you can manually change the colour wheel from 4x to 6x in all modes as well? is that possible or is that not right?

Also coderguy was wondering your thoughts on the elunevision elara 106" white 1.2 gain screen I was planning on getting...do you think this would be a good fit or would you recommend something else?
post #9 of 13 Old 04-28-2013, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Correct, the color wheel can be changed to 6x in the service menu. Don't know anything about the Elunevision white screen.
1.2 gain sounds fine, depends on the room.

If you will be using it in ambient light, I would probably go with a high-contrast gray screen or a Da-Lite High Power 2.4 gain screen. Even though your screen size is only 106", for ambient light viewing you can have a different preset where the IRIS opens back up and with the HP screen you will get the equivalent of about 3000-4000 lumens for fighting that ambient light when you need to. Then when watching in a dark movie, the other preset will use the IRIS to drop that back down. I am using the Benq on a 106" High Power screen, no issues here as I have the IRIS clamped down to 6 and the brightness is normal for the most part. It will also be great for 3D usage, and if you find it too bright still, just mount the projector up higher towards the top of the screen. Keep in mind with the Benq the highest you want to mount the LENS is even with the top of the screen, so you can mount it anywhere within the screen dimensions (technically you can go a little higher, but it will degrade the image quickly).

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

post #10 of 13 Old 05-17-2013, 09:45 PM - Thread Starter

Here are some images of my room.

Width of wall for screen is approx 115 inches (don't want it extending into hall/kitchen area)
High ceilings 11ft - 18 ft at peak
14 ft wide room with approx 12 ft viewing distance once couch is factored in.
Large window as described in previous post
Screen size needed to be reduced to 92" to fit floor standing speakers on either side of the screen

(I will be moving the furniture that you currently see on the wall there to make room for the projector screen at proper height.)
post #11 of 13 Old 05-19-2013, 03:40 PM - Thread Starter

Coderguy,

You had mentioned that the projector should be kept within the the screen dimensions as lens shifting it to far down (projector above the screen) would cause image degradation? I wasn't aware that lens shift caused image quality to suffer?

I wanted to rear shelf mount this projector inside a bridging wall shelf so that the lens would be approx 75 in height. 92" screen has a 45" image height and I would like the image to display from 21" to 65" this would mean that the projector lens would be about 10" above the top of the picture. Is this feasible with this projector?

If it turns out the lens shift is feasible and will not degrade image quality severely, my other worry was that the shelf would not provide enough ventilation. It would be approx 15 high on the inside and large variable spaces on the sides as it has not yet been built (it would also have about 1" of space away from the wall to vent up top (Shelf would be two freestanding bookcases with a crosspiece that would house the projector cannot go right against the wall due to baseboards which would provide some room for hot air to escape out the back of the shelf along with the front).

Is this enough ventilation space on top? How many inches should be left on each side?
post #12 of 13 Old 05-21-2013, 11:52 PM
AVS Special Member

The lens shift you need exceeds the mounting position of the Benq w7000. I am not sure about ventilation as I would have to see a diagram with measurements, but the Benq's intake/outake fans are on the side and not the rear.

For a 92" screen, you only get 3-4" of lens shift above the screen, but yah that is absolute maximum and would degrade sharpness some.

post #13 of 13 Old 05-24-2013, 12:09 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks a lot to everyone who replied for all your help in regards to the projector research.

Ultimately I decided to go with a 65" Panasonic S60 Plasma as I do not have a dedicated home theater room with total light control and could not find a projector that met my fairly specific criteria.

I will definitely keep projectors in mind down the road perhaps when I have a space that is better suited for one!

Thanks again everyone!
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Benq W7000 Home Projection System
Gear in this thread - W7000 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page