Optoma HD25-LV or HD33 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 43 Old 04-27-2013, 11:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys, I've been a member of the forum for a while, but obviously I'm mostly a lurker hehe.

Anyway my current setup is a 100" display powered by an HD65 which I've had for 5 years. The thing still runs like a champ, but with more and more content making use of 1080p and 3D these days, an upgrade would be nice. I've thought about doing the HD65 3D firmware, but I'd rather just upgrade. I had been looking at the HD33 for a while now and I've always thought that would be the obvious choice because the Epson 3020 doesn't really do anything for me. With that said, I just read about the new HD25 and HD25-LV projectors from Optoma, and I'm wondering if these are better than the HD33. Basically what would you choose and why? Keep in mind that I play a lot of video games, watch HDTV, and view Blu-Ray movies on my current system. I'm also really curious why, if the HD25 is two years newer, is the HD33 more expensive on Amazon?

Thanks in advance everybody!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 Old 04-28-2013, 07:09 AM

Liked: 12
Hi.
I've had the HD33 for a year and love it at 120". But as soon as Amazon gets the HD25-LV I am going to order it and give it try. I will look at the owner's manual first as soon as Optoma posts it.
If the Dark Chip 3 has a lot better contrast than the DC 2 of the HD33 that would be great. The extra lumens for 3d, even better.
A Philips lamp rather than an Osram, yeah!
Individual control of primary and secondary colors looks interesting.
I don't know why they put speakers in it unless they meant it for business or portable use.
The lower cost may be due to competition. When the HD33 came out it was the only game in town and there wasn't a lot of 3d content at that time. Also since there are a lot of under $1000 DLP's perhaps chip yield has improved.

td
post #3 of 43 Old 04-28-2013, 08:51 AM

Amazon does have the HD 25 listed also at $949. Shippping in 1-2 months though. smile.gif
post #4 of 43 Old 04-28-2013, 09:24 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Visual Apex lists it as in stock at the same price
post #5 of 43 Old 04-28-2013, 10:20 AM

No one has the HD25-LV but I see the price at Amazon has gone from $1299 to $1318.
When I spoke to Optoma two weeks ago they had no arrival date and would not post the owner's manual until the
projector was released.

td
post #6 of 43 Old 04-28-2013, 10:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Optima's screen calculator shows the the HD25-LV as a center mount vs the HD33 a top or bottom mount. If this makes a difference.
post #7 of 43 Old 04-28-2013, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenisG View Post

Optima's screen calculator shows the the HD25-LV as a center mount vs the HD33 a top or bottom mount. If this makes a difference.

Is this simply from looking at the illustration of where the projector is? The HD25 isn't a center mount.I don't know why the HD25-LV would be...
From looking at the projector specs fro the HD25-LV,the offset would be at 116%,which means...?
post #8 of 43 Old 04-28-2013, 01:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbeenjammin View Post

Is this simply from looking at the illustration of where the projector is? The HD25 isn't a center mount.I don't know why the HD25-LV would be...
From looking at the projector specs fro the HD25-LV,the offset would be at 116%,which means...?
The HD33 calculator has a floor or ceiling option. The HD25-LV dose not. The data sheet says ceiling or table top for the HD25-LV, so I'm not sure.
post #9 of 43 Old 04-28-2013, 02:07 PM

The HD25-LV specs on Optoma's site show the same 116% offset as the HD25 and HD33. It looks like someone goofed when making up the distance calculator for the 25 & 25-LV.

td
post #10 of 43 Old 04-28-2013, 06:27 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much for the great replies. My big fear was that the hd25 LV would end up being a cheap business projector, not designed for home theater use (the speaker inclusion threw me off). So basically is sounds like it should be a better version of the hd33. Currently my projector is mounted upside down on a near ceiling level shelf, and if it turns out the HD25 is a center mount, would that mean I have to lower the shelf?
post #11 of 43 Old 04-29-2013, 04:30 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Let me know if you end up getting a 25-LV. I also am considering this projector. Is it out yet or about to be?
post #12 of 43 Old 04-29-2013, 05:58 PM

I called Optoma directly about the distance calculator for the HD25-LV and the tech told me that it is exactly the same as the HD20.
Also,the specs were right about the offset being 116%.
He also stated that the distance calculator isn't "active" for any specific model anytime you see the projector in the middle of the screen.
There is no center mount.
post #13 of 43 Old 04-30-2013, 10:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I called Optoma directly about the distance calculator for the HD25-LV and the tech told me that it is exactly the same as the HD20.
Also,the specs were right about the offset being 116%.
He also stated that the distance calculator isn't "active" for any specific model anytime you see the projector in the middle of the screen.
There is no center mount.
This would answer the HD8300 distance calculator.
post #14 of 43 Old 04-30-2013, 10:16 AM

I have the GT750e currently and I am also considering the 25-LV. I see you can order it now but it is not available to ship from Amazon

What does everyone mean exactly when you mention "center mount"? I dont understand?
post #15 of 43 Old 04-30-2013, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by romero1330 View Post

I have the GT750e currently and I am also considering the 25-LV. I see you can order it now but it is not available to ship from Amazon

What does everyone mean exactly when you mention "center mount"? I dont understand?

Center mount means the projector lens would be at the same height as the center of the screen. You would not be able to set it on a low table or ceiling mount it
without using built-in keystone correction or tilting the screen.
Like the old 35mm slide projectors.

td
post #16 of 43 Old 05-01-2013, 08:27 AM

Ahhh ok.... Thank you! Much appreciated! I am new to projectors and still learning. I am going to be doing my first calibration on my current setup. Addicting though so much to play with and learn. Thanks again for the info!
post #17 of 43 Old 05-13-2013, 09:21 AM

I have been using the HD65 with the 3DXL and the firmware update, and frankly it's really brilliant.
So that might be a serious contender if you want to save yourself $$$!
However, I am also thinking of upgrading to this one (HD25 LV), simply for the super-brightness of this projector. So I'd also be interested if anyone has a review.

Sorry, don't know how helpful that was!
post #18 of 43 Old 05-13-2013, 01:19 PM

It does not mean you cannot mount it center (HD25)?
Also, does those numbers work if mounted in the center?
post #19 of 43 Old 05-13-2013, 01:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 139
According to page 23 of the User Manual for the Optoma HD-25, the offset is 7.92 inches (0.66 feet) for a 100" screen. I am not sure about the LV version, but some googling shows some sites have entered the LV as no vertical shift capability.
Therefore, I would assume an 8% offset (8 inches per 100 16:9 screen).

Unless the LV version means it is a very rare center based offset DLP with no lens shift (this is very rare), so I kind of doubt it.
It does have Keystone, but such use is not generally recommended.

This means the projector can be mounted only 8" above the screen or 8" below the screen. The projector cannot be mounted in the center of the screen, because I did not see any mention of Vertical Lens Shift in the manual. It does have a feature called Image Shift, but I think that means digitally shifting the image (not related to alignment).

Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

post #20 of 43 Old 05-13-2013, 02:18 PM

My HD25-LV will arrive Thursday and I will compare it to my HD33.
td
post #21 of 43 Old 05-13-2013, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy View Post

According to page 23 of the User Manual for the Optoma HD-25, the offset is 7.92 inches (0.66 feet) for a 100" screen. I am not sure about the LV version, but some googling shows some sites have entered the LV as no vertical shift capability.
Therefore, I would assume an 8% offset (8 inches per 100 16:9 screen).

Unless the LV version means it is a very rare center based offset DLP with no lens shift (this is very rare), so I kind of doubt it.
It does have Keystone, but such use is not generally recommended.

This means the projector can be mounted only 8" above the screen or 8" below the screen. The projector cannot be mounted in the center of the screen, because I did not see any mention of Vertical Lens Shift in the manual. It does have a feature called Image Shift, but I think that means digitally shifting the image (not related to alignment).
Thank you coder guy for your reply.

This really sucks, because I had my mind set on this one and was going to order it tomorrow.
I am planning to use it in my bedroom, so the projector will be right above my head, about 22inches from the ceiling and 12 ft from the screen.
I had a viewsonic pro8100 before, and it worked perfect. I made a video back then, so can look at my setup here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3uH6emh8ig

I sold that projector and I am looking into buying a new one, I don't have the option to mount it on the ceiling or on the floor.
Do you have any recommendation?

Thanks
post #22 of 43 Old 05-13-2013, 04:22 PM

I have the HD25-LV and the offset is exactly the same as the HD25.No lens shift capabilities.
post #23 of 43 Old 05-13-2013, 04:32 PM

Quote:

I have the HD25-LV and the offset is exactly the same as the HD25.No lens shift capabilities.
How do you have your projector mounted?
post #24 of 43 Old 05-13-2013, 04:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by checksum123 View Post

Thank you coder guy for your reply.

This really sucks, because I had my mind set on this one and was going to order it tomorrow.
I am planning to use it in my bedroom, so the projector will be right above my head, about 22inches from the ceiling and 12 ft from the screen.
I had a viewsonic pro8100 before, and it worked perfect. I made a video back then, so can look at my setup here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3uH6emh8ig

I sold that projector and I am looking into buying a new one, I don't have the option to mount it on the ceiling or on the floor.
Do you have any recommendation?

Thanks

Benq w7000 is the only sub-$2000 DLP I can think of with a center-based offset with lens shift. there was a deal on them recently for a good price, but it's still going to be presumably a lot more than this PJ will cost. The Sharp xvz-30000 is even better, but costs even more.

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

post #25 of 43 Old 05-13-2013, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by checksum123 View Post

How do you have your projector mounted?
I have it ceiling mounted and was fortunate that the mount i already had installed for the Epson 5020UB barely worked.I had to use some " arm extensions" since i had to move it to the right a little bit more to center it.The pole i had was adjustable and i had to move it a lot higher because of the offset.
I have a 100 in screen so the projector had to be around 7 in above the top of the screen.I only have an 8 ft ceiling.
The extra lumens is worth it if 3D is a prioirty for you.Lumens is 3D's biggest asset currently and that is an understatement.
post #26 of 43 Old 05-13-2013, 04:52 PM
AVS Special Member

@checksum
If you cannot ceiling mount, can you shelf mount it higher on the back wall?

This can work if a projector does not vent out the back (not sure about hd25). That said, there are projectors that vent out the sides, and if it vents out the back, I'd probably want at least 6 inches of clearance, but maybe 8-10 to be safe.
There are two ways to shelf mount, you can actually buy the wall mounts that mount onto the wall but have an ARM to make it work like a ceiling mount.
Otherwise, you can use any regular shelf or buy a $50 shelf online and turn the PJ upside down and place it that way (this last method though does require some balancing, different ways to do it).

post #27 of 43 Old 05-13-2013, 05:04 PM

This is the only thing in the back i see with some holes.I'm not sure what this really is.It's black inside with no lights shining outwardly.
post #28 of 43 Old 05-13-2013, 05:23 PM

Quote:

@checksum
If you cannot ceiling mount, can you shelf mount it higher on the back wall?

This can work if a projector does not vent out the back (not sure about hd25). That said, there are projectors that vent out the sides, and if it vents out the back, I'd probably want at least 6 inches of clearance, but maybe 8-10 to be safe.
There are two ways to shelf mount, you can actually buy the wall mounts that mount onto the wall but have an ARM to make it work like a ceiling mount.
Otherwise, you can use any regular shelf or buy a $50 shelf online and turn the PJ upside down and place it that way (this last method though does require some balancing, different ways to do it).
Hi coderguy
Yes, I can shelf mount it higher on the wall. If you look at my setup, I can raise the top shelf higher, but how far from the ceiling should I put it?
You said: <<This means the projector can be mounted only 8" above the screen..>>, the screen touches the top of the ceiling, so the projector cannot go higher than the screen.
The way you see the projector on the video @ 0:23 it is about 22 inches from the ceiling, upright. If you look at my screen @ 0:42, it is mounted on top of the ceiling, so I only have about 6'' - 10'' clearance before the top of the image when I lower the screen.
Air flow should not be a problem, this projector (HD25) is much smaller than the viewsonic, so I will have lots of clearance on the back of the unit.

Thanks
post #29 of 43 Old 05-13-2013, 05:32 PM
AVS Special Member

This projector will not work with your setup, unless you were able to mount it below the screen (but does not appear that you can). The projector's center of its lens needs to be approx 8" above the top of the viewable screen surface (or 8" below the bottom), which in your case does not appear to be possible.

I verified this projector vents/intake are on the sides.
if you are standing in front of the projector looking into the lens, the projector vents out to your left side.

post #30 of 43 Old 05-13-2013, 05:53 PM

Quote:

This projector will not work with your setup, unless you were able to mount it below the screen (but does not appear that you can). The projector's center of its lens needs to be approx 8" above the top of the viewable screen surface (or 8" below the bottom), which in your case does not appear to be possible.

I verified this projector vents/intake are on the sides.
if you are standing in front of the projector looking into the lens, the projector vents out to your left side.
Well, I guess I can ceiling mount it, that's better than spending another $1000. I hated the ceiling mount because it is difficult to hide the wires, also you cannot use the lens cover when it is mounted on the ceiling.

Approximately 8'' would be a little tight, since my screen is all the way up the ceiling.

Once it is ceiling mounted and inverted, would tilting the projector down work to bring the picture down, or does the center of the lens have to be perpendicular to the screen?
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Optoma Hd25 Lv 3d Home Theater Projector , Optoma Hd33 1080p 3d Projector
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page