35'+ HDMI cables, do they really work? - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: What kind of 35'+ foot hdmi cables have you tried?
Amplified and it worked 3 23.08%
Amplified and it didn't work 0 0%
Passive and it worked 10 76.92%
Passive and it didn't work 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 20 Old 05-01-2013, 01:05 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I've heard from many sources on AVS that HDMI cables beyond 15' or 25' don't work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 05-01-2013, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 111
It all depends.. I have a 35' flat monoprice that works but I only send 720p over it..
post #3 of 20 Old 05-01-2013, 01:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 59
I have 2 RedMere cables from Monoprice, and they both work great. One is 40ft, the other is 50ft. They both pass 1080p and 3D fine.
post #4 of 20 Old 05-01-2013, 01:38 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by airscapes View Post

It all depends.. I have a 35' flat monoprice that works but I only send 720p over it..

1080p works fine for me.
post #5 of 20 Old 05-01-2013, 01:43 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectronicTonic View Post

I have 2 RedMere cables from Monoprice, and they both work great. One is 40ft, the other is 50ft. They both pass 1080p and 3D fine.

I would count Redmere as amplified, even though I don't believe that is technically right.
post #6 of 20 Old 05-01-2013, 02:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by macks View Post

I would count Redmere as amplified, even though I don't believe that is technically right.
Yeah, I didn't vote in the poll. Didn't quite know what to select.
post #7 of 20 Old 05-01-2013, 09:17 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I'll just repeat what I said in the other thread that spawned this discussion:
Quote:
Once you get past 25' (really 15') you can't expect a passive HDMI cable to "just work." There are so many factors that affect how well the signal will travel on a lengthy passive HDMI cable. For example, don't assume a consumer-grade camcorder will send or a +5 year old HDTV will receive the signal at lengths of 25' or more. There's also more than a few stories out there of HDMI cables working initially, but the signal fails (most likely due to corrosion on the connectors) after a period of time. Also, the longer the cable, the more the quality of the cable becomes a factor. Redmere gives the installer strong assurance that those potential issues will not be a problem, which is especially important for in-wall installations.

I have used a 22 ga. HDMI cable 40' in length that has reliably passed the signal from a spliter to an HDTV. I have also had to daisy-chain a couple of cables and add a passive and active signal booster to travel 30' for a very finicky piece of equipment (an ATEM Television Studio) after trying a monoprice cable, the Belden HDMI cable from Blue Jeans and the Atlona ribbon-style HDMI cable, both at 30' in length, and both without success. I would always suggest getting an over-engineered HDMI cable for long distances if it is within financial reason to do so, and test it with the equipment you will be using before any in-wall installation. Whether an HDMI cable will work, and whether it will continue to work is just a crap shoot over long distances, but you can tilt the odds in your favor by getting quality cables (but not expensive--monoprice and Blue Jeans are fine, but I would not rely on no-name Amazon Third-Party sellers)
post #8 of 20 Old 05-02-2013, 01:02 AM

Liked: 10
I've been running a 50' HDMI cable (1080p signal) for the past 2 years with no issues whatsoever. Bought cable on amazon

post #9 of 20 Old 05-02-2013, 05:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I've been using a 45' Blue Jeans cable (BJC-01?) for 3 1/2 years, with no problems what so ever. That's 1080p to a Panasonic AE4000 projector from Denon AVR 4308ci.

Mike
post #10 of 20 Old 05-02-2013, 07:11 AM

40' Redmere from Monoprice. No issues running from a PC in another room to my AV receiver.

I also installed a 50' redmere for a future projector.
post #11 of 20 Old 05-02-2013, 07:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 35

My 35' monoprice (22 AWG CL2 Cable, passive, non-redmere) has been flawless, about $1/foot

100% trouble free running from my AVR to my Epson 1080UB projector for over 4.5 years.

PS3, XBOX 360, Sony BD Player, all at 1080P ,  Motorola HD PVR and Toshiba HD A2 HDDVD at 1080i

I also have a monoprice 10' HDMI cable running to my wall mounted Pioneer 50" Kuro (AVR supports 2 simultaneous HDMI display outs)

and I can run the PJ and the Plasma at the same time with the same 1080P signal split, without signal loss.

My First Home Theater
...When a Kuro plasma still isnt enough, make your movie Experience Larger than Life with a Projector!
post #12 of 20 Old 05-02-2013, 08:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Sargent View Post

I've been using a 45' Blue Jeans cable (BJC-01?) for 3 1/2 years, with no problems what so ever. That's 1080p to a Panasonic AE4000 projector from Denon AVR 4308ci.

Mike

+1. Blue Jeans Cables for trouble free performance. Their Belden Bonded-Pair HDMI Cable is as good as they come.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #13 of 20 Old 05-02-2013, 12:58 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CartmanDDT View Post

I'll just repeat what I said in the other thread that spawned this discussion:
I have used a 22 ga. HDMI cable 40' in length that has reliably passed the signal from a spliter to an HDTV. I have also had to daisy-chain a couple of cables and add a passive and active signal booster to travel 30' for a very finicky piece of equipment (an ATEM Television Studio) after trying a monoprice cable, the Belden HDMI cable from Blue Jeans and the Atlona ribbon-style HDMI cable, both at 30' in length, and both without success. I would always suggest getting an over-engineered HDMI cable for long distances if it is within financial reason to do so, and test it with the equipment you will be using before any in-wall installation. Whether an HDMI cable will work, and whether it will continue to work is just a crap shoot over long distances, but you can tilt the odds in your favor by getting quality cables (but not expensive--monoprice and Blue Jeans are fine, but I would not rely on no-name Amazon Third-Party sellers)

I would like to know why you have such a hate of cables from Amazon?

Personally I can't justify spending $163 on a cable when a $20 cable works just as well(50ft blue jeans belden versus Aurum cable). I would suggest not spending more money than you have to on a cable that is unlikely to work with future standards(2160p60 or 4320p).

Thank you for letting me know not to buy an ATEM Television Studio. smile.gif
post #14 of 20 Old 05-02-2013, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macks View Post

I would like to know why you have such a hate of cables from Amazon?

Personally I can't justify spending $163 on a cable when a $20 cable works just as well(50ft blue jeans belden versus Aurum cable). I would suggest not spending more money than you have to on a cable that is unlikely to work with future standards(2160p60 or 4320p).

Thank you for letting me know not to buy an ATEM Television Studio. smile.gif
1). Time is money. If it doesn't work, you spend time troubleshooting, reordering, and installing again.

2). Your reputation is valuable. If it doesn't work, or it fails in 3 months, that will reflect on you.

3). Generally speaking, Amazon is a race to the bottom. If you are not trading on your name, you are trading on price. And if price is the primary concern, then quality is not. Wouldn't say that is true of every 3rd party seller, but the seller who gets featured is the one with the lowest price. Blue Jeans Cable and Monoprice have a name and reputation to uphold, generics do not. Sooner or later, they will burn you.
post #15 of 20 Old 05-02-2013, 03:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 48
I have an old 50' HDMI cable I bought used off ebay over 5 year ago for about $30. I am sure its the old 1.3 spec cable and it works flawlessly for 1080p and 3d from my Denon 1912 to my HD33 projector. I have no idea what this cable cost originally but was obviously was made well.

Smart enough to know better, to old to care
post #16 of 20 Old 05-02-2013, 03:27 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CartmanDDT View Post

1). Time is money. If it doesn't work, you spend time troubleshooting, reordering, and installing again.

2). Your reputation is valuable. If it doesn't work, or it fails in 3 months, that will reflect on you.

3). Generally speaking, Amazon is a race to the bottom. If you are not trading on your name, you are trading on price. And if price is the primary concern, then quality is not. Wouldn't say that is true of every 3rd party seller, but the seller who gets featured is the one with the lowest price. Blue Jeans Cable and Monoprice have a name and reputation to uphold, generics do not. Sooner or later, they will burn you.

1) If it doesn't work then you return it. The point of me putting up a poll is to show that not many people have issues with long HDMI cables not working. Don't think I have ever gotten a product that doesn't work from Amazon.

2) Cables failing in 3 months, not sure I buy this.

3) Amazon has ratings for both items and for sellers. Blue Jeans Cable like all companies only really cares about making money, their prices represent a good margin of profit. Monoprice has always been about cheap prices with normally decent products.

If I believed monoprice was a better place to buy things than Amazon then I would happily pay 10% more to buy a cable from them. Problem is the price is double or triple + shipping costs.

I expect any cable I buy to "just work" in its prescribed use.
post #17 of 20 Old 05-02-2013, 05:58 PM

I've said my peace, imparted my wisdom and fulfilled my obligation to mankind. As you said in the other thread:
Quote:
Well, I'm done with this conversation. Spend your money how you like.

I prefer to quote Cartman, who said:
Quote:
Screw you guys, I'm going home.
post #18 of 20 Old 05-02-2013, 08:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Bluejeanscable, in addition to selling quality cables, also has some interesting and informative articles. Here is one on HDMI length:
http://www.bluejeanscable.com/articles/how-long-can-hdmi-run.htm?hdmiinfo

Their take is that 50' is the tipping point for problems, so it would be interesting to compare the results of this poll with a poll on distances over 50'.

From the article:

"In practical terms, today, for distances 50 feet and shorter, even economical HDMI cables are usually reliable at 720p, 1080i and (though this is less consistently so) 1080p. For very short runs--all those 3 and 6 foot cables out there in the world, at least when not being used as part of a much longer signal chain--it's best not to worry about it at all. But for those long runs, the future is still very unclear. Low-cost 50-foot cables which are near their performance limit at 1080p today may not work with 16-bit color 1080p tomorrow.

If you're in the longer-than-50-foot category, it gets dicier. We have had good consistent results with the Series-1 cable out to 100 feet, with reports of no trouble in the great majority of installations. Cable quality starts to be a real concern at these distances, and performance always is hard to predict, especially because the cable that works on one source/display pair may not work on another. There is, unfortunately, no really good way to know what will work without plugging it in.

So what should you buy? We get a lot of questions from customers who are not sure whether to buy our best cable or our cheapest. There's not one consistent "right" answer to this; if the cheapest cable will do everything you ask of it, there's no picture improvement to be had in going to the best cable (this is, after all, a digital signal), but if what you ask of it may change, the answer may change, too. We strongly encourage people who are installing cable behind walls, in ceilings, and the like to weight their choices heavily in favor of buying the very best HDMI cable possible, simply because the cost of revisiting an installation later can be much higher than the cost of the best cable. On the other hand, if your installation will not restrict your access to your cable, and if the inexpensive cable works well with your gear today, there's no compelling need to have the best possible cable quality."

I have a 35' Bluejeans cable, and I have not had any issues, although some source devices take a little longer to sync then others at the distance.
post #19 of 20 Old 05-03-2013, 04:10 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

CartmanDDT,

smile.gif

JeffKB,

I was actually hoping someone would post their experience with an over 50' cable. I've noticed that there aren't "cheap" cables over 50'.

I had to smile at there reference to 16-bit 1080p. Other than that it is a very good article that I agree with.

I never thought about a long cable causing longer sync times, always blamed the projector being slow.
post #20 of 20 Old 05-04-2013, 12:06 AM

If you want to send HDMI over 50' then get a twisted pair transmitter and receiver set. (Or maybe you call em Cat5 sender and receiver.) Over 50' and you're asking for trouble.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page