Getting rid of black bars on 2.35:1 UltraWide movies - a free webinar this Wednesday May 8 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-06-2013, 01:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Originally posted by VinnieS (Newsbreaker) over in the News section - got permission to re-post here:

Did you know that over 75% of the top-grossing movies are ultra-wide? These movies have an aspect ratio of 2.35:1, so when they are played on a high-def display with a screen aspect ratio of 16:9 (1.78:1), black letterbox bars appear above and below the active image. Consumers have been complaining about these black bars since the 16:9 format was first released. Fortunately, there is a solution available for those with a front-projection system—an anamorphic lens and 2.35:1 projection screen.

Panamorph and Screen Innovations are partnering to offer a free webinar on Wednesday, May 8, 2013, for a look inside the world of the ultra-wide 2.35:1 aspect ratio. This webinar will reveal the different solutions Panamorph and Screen Innovations can provide consumers to eliminate the black bars. In addition, these solutions allow consumers to enjoy these movies as the directors intended.

Russell Warnhoff and John Schuermann from Panamorph and Blake Vackar from Screen Innovations will present "Go Beyond Widescreen with UltraWide." They will discuss how to use anamorphic lenses and ultra-wide screens to achieve a true cinema-in-the-home experience. An open Q&A discussion will follow the presentation, providing an opportunity for anyone wanting to get into the ultra-wide format to ask questions directly to industry professionals.

The webinar is open to everyone without charge. You can immerse yourself with Panamorph and Screen Innovations on May 8, 2013 at 12pm EDT.

Space is limited, so be sure to register below.

Space is limited. Reserve your webinar seat now at https://www1.gotomeeting.com/register/312632696
Title: Go Beyond Widescreen with UltraWide
Date: Wednesday, May 8, 2013
Time: 12:00 PM – 1:00 PM EDT

After registering you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the webinar.

System Requirements

PC-based attendees
Windows 7, Vista, XP, or 2003 Server

Mac-based attendees
Mac OS X 10.6 or newer

Mobile attendees
iPhone, iPad, Android phone or tablet

If you attend the webinar, be sure to let us know what you thought of it.

John Schuermann, Filmmaker / Film Composer
Home Theater Industry Consultant
JS Music and Sound
Panamorph
Check out my new movie!: www.stephensonmovie.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2013, 04:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Probably aimed more toward the >3000 crowd.
Old 05-06-2013, 11:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 35
He's posting it all over the place. I just saw it on the Plasma forum. Plus, you don't have to use a lens to do 2:35 anyway.
Old 05-07-2013, 09:03 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked: 758
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenC56 View Post

He's posting it all over the place. I just saw it on the Plasma forum. Plus, you don't have to use a lens to do 2:35 anyway.

I was just thinking that as well. Considering we are in the under 3k forum, I am assuming most in here (including me) are going to be more geared toward the zoom method which will also eliminate the black bars without the need for an expensive lens. Pros/cons to both approaches of course, but good to be made aware of all options and a lens is not the only solution for a 2.35 setup.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
Old 05-07-2013, 05:54 PM
AVS Special Member

What's the pro for zooming? Lens or nothing IMO.
Old 05-07-2013, 08:38 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verge2 View Post

What's the pro for zooming? Lens or nothing IMO.

$$$$$$$$ is the big one. Zooming is a great option for those who want 2.35 on a budget.

Old 05-07-2013, 09:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 35
What Toe said! Stop charging ridiculous money for lenses and then I'll consider one. tongue.gif
Old 05-08-2013, 04:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Yes, I have been posting everywhere, at least "everywhere" video related. wink.gif

One of the top questions a/v dealers and a/v publications get is - why are there black bars on the movies I watch? Since a brief portion of the webinar will cover the history of widescreen films (i.e., why there are black bars on widescreen films), we thought this might be of general interest for those even in the TV forums.

There are now sub-$1500 MSRP anamorphic lenses on the market.

JS Music and Sound
Panamorph
Old 05-08-2013, 12:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Personally I'd go the diy masking route before I'd drop that kind of money on lens/sled. But that's just me, I'm a cheapskate.

XBL GT: deathpallie
Old 05-08-2013, 01:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratpacker View Post

Personally I'd go the diy masking route before I'd drop that kind of money on lens/sled. But that's just me, I'm a cheapskate.

I'd rather look at bars and just build a bigger screen.
Old 05-08-2013, 05:51 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

No matter how big your screen, masking would still hold purpose so I don't understand your post.

Old 05-10-2013, 09:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That's a valid option, especially if you primarily watch TV or sports (in other words, 16:9).

Another way to look at it is that 2.35:1 content is intended to be the largest image on the screen, by its very design. The CinemaScope / UltraWide aspect ratio was developed in order to engage a viewer's peripheral vision and mimic how we perceive real life. When 2.35:1 material is the smallest content on the screen, that immersive effect is lost. However, it really comes down to preferences and the type of material one primarily views.

JS Music and Sound
Panamorph
Old 05-10-2013, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Schuermann View Post

That's a valid option, especially if you primarily watch TV or sports (in other words, 16:9).

Another way to look at it is that 2.35:1 content is intended to be the largest image on the screen, by its very design. The CinemaScope / UltraWide aspect ratio was developed in order to engage a viewer's peripheral vision and mimic how we perceive real life. When 2.35:1 material is the smallest content on the screen, that immersive effect is lost. However, it really comes down to preferences and the type of material one primarily views.

If your theater is light controlled, the lit portion of the screen is the lot portion of the screen. The rest should be dark. As black levels increase, it becomes more and more of a moot point.

Lense is where it's at I say.
Old 05-10-2013, 01:13 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Schuermann View Post

I agree. No matter how you do CIH (zoom or lens), it is nice getting the intended effect as far as 2.35 being the largest most immersive of the two aspect ratios. As you mention though there are lots of variables between setups and users so 2.35 is obviously not the best option for everyone. In my setup for example, I run out of height before width so a 2.35 screen was the obvious choice. Other setups might run out of width before height so a 1.78 screen might be a better option (depending on other factors of course such as viewing habits as far as sports/cable vs movies, etc....). Lots of variables from one setup to another.

Another great advantage for a 2.35 setup is the side bars are less distracting vs the top/ bottom bars with a 1.78 screen.