Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 41 Old 05-09-2013, 09:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Hi all,
After extended reading here and reviews, I have narrow down my choice two these two PJs. Which one should I get? W1070 Benq or Optoma HD25? They both are about the same price. Anything else I am missing for under $1k? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 Old 05-09-2013, 10:48 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
A couple things to consider.

With the BenQ you are limited to DLP Link glasses for 3d. The Optoma allows DLP Link, IR, or RF 3d glasses.
Another issue is support. If it had to be returned to someone for repair, where do you send it.
I would check out their websites for addresses and phone numbers. Maybe even call customer support to see
how long it takes to get a living person.

I have an Optoma HD33 but will be looking at the HD25-LV when it's released.

Just my 5 cents worth. (2 cents worth adjusted for inflation) smile.gif
td
post #3 of 41 Old 05-09-2013, 11:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

^^
Thanks for input. Do you think the hd25lv is an upgrade over your 33? What do you like the hd25lv over your 33?
post #4 of 41 Old 05-09-2013, 12:11 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Optoma HD25-LV has been out for over a week already from Visual Apex... Enjoy
post #5 of 41 Old 05-09-2013, 12:16 PM

The HD25-LV is rated at 3200 lumens. My 33 is 1800. I'm thinking the extra light would help while watching 3D.
Also the 25 has the Dark Chip 3 which is supposed to have better blacks than the DC 2 in my 33.
There is also more control for calibration on the 25.

td
post #6 of 41 Old 05-09-2013, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbeenjammin View Post

Optoma HD25-LV has been out for over a week already from Visual Apex... Enjoy

That's strange because Optoma says it hasn't been released yet.
post #7 of 41 Old 05-09-2013, 12:56 PM

I have it... Got it from Visual Apex last week.
post #8 of 41 Old 05-09-2013, 01:06 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
urbeenjammin, how do you like the projector?

I think it's past time to upgrade my equipment and my room.
post #9 of 41 Old 05-09-2013, 02:05 PM

Coming from a very happy owner of Epsons from the last 5 years or so,lastly the 5020UB,i had to test the waters of the DLP world since 3D has become my main priority. Not into games but strictly movies. Some might say that I'm crazy to leave the Epson behind and jump into an Optoma.But having a Firehawk G3,i thought that might help the black level.Only the experts here can truly say if that makes a difference. I'm not sure, but after spending a week and counting, i can now understand the buzz about this technology. The 3D is simply an amazing experience. Very satisfied with it. The 2D is incredible as well.Watched "The Impossible" and there was nothing disappointing about the visual presentation.the last close up scene was an indication of how superb the technology is. It definitely left a lasting impression.
post #10 of 41 Old 05-09-2013, 02:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I am reading this as you like your HD25lv better than your Epson 5020? Is the HD25lv too bright in my totally dark room with no window? You guys think the hd25 is better in my room?
post #11 of 41 Old 05-09-2013, 02:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Also would like to know when the Optoma HD131X will be available in the US as it is the same as the HD25 for much less.
post #12 of 41 Old 05-09-2013, 02:51 PM

You might have to get someone else's opinion on brightness. But for me, my set up for movie viewing is very dark (darker than a cinema theater). I don't think you can go too bright with anything. You have the eco mode and you can always turn down the brightness as well. Keep in mind, as the bulb ages, the brightness goes down as well. For my main objective (3D),I am happier with the Optoma, and that's an understatement... lol.The Epson is twice as much and having had both, i can say that the 5020UB is more than worth it. You will not be getting an inferior product with the Epson. It just truly depends on what you are looking for.
post #13 of 41 Old 05-09-2013, 03:49 PM

Have you done any calibration on it? I'm curious as to the advantage of having individual RGBYMC controls.
Also does the lack of motion interpolation bother you?
thanks,
td
post #14 of 41 Old 05-09-2013, 06:27 PM

As noted above,i'm not what you would consider a "technical expert" and will hardly explain it in that manner as well.I am fairly basic when it comes to calibrating,limited to calibration discs and don't have any instruments outside of that.Well maybe just an SPF meter...lol.
I come from a background in graphic arts as well as fine arts and rely on that in the end to finalize the video presentation on my display.With all the calibration you can do technically,i feel that how it really looks visually in the end is what truly matters.
As far as the RGBYMC controls,i felt that it was crucial and indeed helpful.Each one allows you to manipulate the Hue,Saturation and Gain,i guess that's basic...WIth the Green and Yellow,i ended up toning them down and the Blue and Red were increased.(For 3D, i ended toning down the Yellow as well)
I have some basic philosophies that i go by: Go as deep with your blacks without crushing and loosing the details,Go as bright without blooming and losing the details.Second,the skin tones have to stay realistic without over coloring.The skin is probably going to be the least "colorful" in a real world.And as far as color,you would like a vibrant picture without bleeding of course.Contrast from my background in art has been very affective in visually presenting your "art" The more the better but still staying within my basic guidelines.

P.S.
Frame interpolation:
With the Epson,i basically had it to low and with 3D, it was completely disabled.
From Kaine and a few other forums i visited,it was noted and concluded that the Optoma was triple flash compatible in 3D.Don't ask me how to explain that one.How do you go from 2D to 3D and end up with 144 Hz.? Where in 2D,Optoma can only do 120 Hz.
Anyway, i didn't really miss it on 2D since my use was very minimal.In 3D,the motion was very smooth with no artifacts to be seen and didn't have any judders or vibrations like the Epson did.The 5020 had a difficult time handling certain movies and contained "minimal vibrations" that's how i would explain it.Avatar was a good example where the Epson had this issue throughout.Optoma with the so-called triple flash was very smooth and didn't exibit any "vibrations or judder" and this is what i hoping for as well as the "non-ghosting"
Some of the difficult 3D movies with the 5020 when viewed with the Optoma had so much depth and realism,it was an eye opener indeed.Prometheus had a reputation as being very minimal with the 3d presentation from a lot of reviewers.So i revisited that one and was almost in disbelief with how much Pop and depth it had! It is one of the movies i am looking forward to with the Optoma.
post #15 of 41 Old 05-09-2013, 06:33 PM

Thanks U

Now the decision: Food and clothing or a new projector........

td
post #16 of 41 Old 05-14-2013, 09:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I am still having a hard time decide on which one after reading thread after thread, review after review: W1070 or HD25. Anyone else can steer me one way or another? When is the Optoma HD131X available in the US? Thanks.
post #17 of 41 Old 05-14-2013, 09:58 PM

HD131X will not be available here in the U.S.
post #18 of 41 Old 05-14-2013, 10:08 PM

Liked: 15
I think the hd25 here in the USA is about the same price as the 131X in Europe
post #19 of 41 Old 05-15-2013, 06:42 AM

Liked: 10
Hey guys,

I'm about to go crazy with so many options, reviews and threads...it's a good thing we can do some research on the internet about things we plan on buying but it can makes us really confuse. hehehe
Ok, so my "confusion" is that I plan on buying my first projector and i don't want to go bankrupt after I buy it. I will be using it mainly for movies, 3D movies, concerts in blue ray and video-games. It will be a dedicated room with controlled ambient lighting. Which one you guys would go for ? BenQ W1070 or the HD25-LV ?!
I want to mount on my ceiling which is 9' high and the projector will be 9' away from the wall. Which screen do you guys recommend ?

thanks!
post #20 of 41 Old 05-15-2013, 09:02 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by thiagovlira View Post

Hey guys,

I'm about to go crazy with so many options, reviews and threads...it's a good thing we can do some research on the internet about things we plan on buying but it can makes us really confuse. hehehe
Ok, so my "confusion" is that I plan on buying my first projector and i don't want to go bankrupt after I buy it. I will be using it mainly for movies, 3D movies, concerts in blue ray and video-games. It will be a dedicated room with controlled ambient lighting. Which one you guys would go for ? BenQ W1070 or the HD25-LV ?!
I want to mount on my ceiling which is 9' high and the projector will be 9' away from the wall. Which screen do you guys recommend ?

thanks!
i would go with the HD25, not the HD25 LV unless you really need that extra lumens. The HD25 allows for more flexibility as far as throw distance, the W1070 is a short throw projector. Also HD25 got lots of good review, you can google it and see for yourself. I just bought my HD25 this ,morning from projector people.
They are both good projector from what I hear, just know there are limitations because these are sub $1000.
post #21 of 41 Old 05-15-2013, 09:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

^^
Thanks. The longer throw of the HD25 works better for me as well but the little Len shilf of the W1070 is also helps. I do not believe the HD25 has Len shilf, does that mean the pj has to be perfectly ceiling mounted/aligned to top of my screen? Thanks again.
post #22 of 41 Old 05-15-2013, 09:22 AM

The HD25 & HD25-LV are essentially the same projector with extra lumens on the LV.The mounting options are exactly the same. neither have lens shift and the distance calculator is equal as well. No difference. If 3D is your main concern, then the extra lumens is a must. You can always use the eco mode and picture settings to lower brightness. Don't forget, when the bulb ages, you loose brightness once again.
post #23 of 41 Old 05-15-2013, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboys View Post

^^
Thanks. The longer throw of the HD25 works better for me as well but the little Len shilf of the W1070 is also helps. I do not believe the HD25 has Len shilf, does that mean the pj has to be perfectly ceiling mounted/aligned to top of my screen? Thanks again.
You need to figure out your screen size and then use the projector distance calculator to see how far away you can place it. Remember these projectors can only be ceiling mounted or on the floor (table). I was going to go with the w1070, but because of its short throw, I could not use it adequately in my room, so I went with the HD25 with allows you to get 100'' at a distance of 12ft, no lens shift so i will have little tolerance space to work with. The more the lens is perpendicular to the screen, the better
post #24 of 41 Old 05-15-2013, 11:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

^^
Thanks. Both of the W1070 and HD25 will work for my ceiling mount as far as throw distance is concerned. What concerns me is the lack of Len shift with the HD25. My 110" screen is about 28" from ceiling, so if I can mount the HD25 such that its center Len is 28" from ceiling, I am good right? Or do I have some room to move the pj up closer to the ceiling. I have a ceiling mount from monoprice that I am currently mounting my 10yrs old pj and not sure if it has inch of up/down adjustment. I guest the question is that without Len shilf, am I stuck with an absolute number of inches the pj mounted from ceiling or I have plus and minus few inches to play with? Thanks.
PS: Does the HD25 come with a pair of active shutter 3D glasses and 3D emitter?
post #25 of 41 Old 05-15-2013, 11:49 AM

The HD25 has an offset of 116%.This basically means that the center of the lens has to be 16% above the top of the screen edge.You simply measure the height of your 110 diagonal screen.Whatever that number is,divide it by 16%.The screen size I have is 100 inches. So I had to mount the center of the lens around 7 inches above the screen. Yours should be more obviously.
post #26 of 41 Old 05-15-2013, 11:50 AM

With the HD25 the lens should be about 9" higher than the top of the screen according to the Optoma HD33 calculator.
The HD33 and HD25 have the same lens offset.
td
post #27 of 41 Old 05-15-2013, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboys View Post

^^
Thanks. Both of the W1070 and HD25 will work for my ceiling mount as far as throw distance is concerned. What concerns me is the lack of Len shift with the HD25. My 110" screen is about 28" from ceiling, so if I can mount the HD25 such that its center Len is 28" from ceiling, I am good right? Or do I have some room to move the pj up closer to the ceiling. I have a ceiling mount from monoprice that I am currently mounting my 10yrs old pj and not sure if it has inch of up/down adjustment. I guest the question is that without Len shilf, am I stuck with an absolute number of inches the pj mounted from ceiling or I have plus and minus few inches to play with? Thanks.
PS: Does the HD25 come with a pair of active shutter 3D glasses and 3D emitter?

For the HD25, you have to place it about 8'' (0.66ft to be precise) above or below the screen. If your screen is 28'' below the ceiling, then the projector would have to be place 20'' below the ceiling for optimal viewing, I think the same is valid for the W1070 also. So you should be good since you have lots of clearance to work with.
The HD25 has what they called keystone correction which allows you to move the image up or down by 5'' I believe, but I have read somewhere that it degrades the picture quality and they don't recommend using it. If you go to the optoma website, you can see all that info in the manual.
post #28 of 41 Old 05-15-2013, 12:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by checksum123 View Post

For the HD25, you have to place it about 8'' (0.66ft to be precise) above or below the screen. If your screen is 28'' below the ceiling, then the projector would have to be place 20'' below the ceiling for optimal viewing, I think the same is valid for the W1070 also. So you should be good since you have lots of clearance to work with.
The HD25 has what they called keystone correction which allows you to move the image up or down by 5'' I believe, but I have read somewhere that it degrades the picture quality and they don't recommend using it. If you go to the optoma website, you can see all that info in the manual.
This is very helpful. I prefer NOT to use keystone. Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbeenjammin View Post

The HD25 has an offset of 116%.This basically means that the center of the lens has to be 16% above the top of the screen edge.You simply measure the height of your 110 diagonal screen.Whatever that number is,divide it by 16%.The screen size I have is 100 inches. So I had to mount the center of the lens around 7 inches above the screen. Yours should be more obviously.
Based on the 116% offset, this HD25 will have to be mounted 8.64" above top of my 110" screen. Is this 116% offset a range or an absolute number? another word, does this pj have to be mounted at exact 8.64" above top of the screen or it can be 8" or 9"? Thanks and sorry about so many question as I am a noob in this.
post #29 of 41 Old 05-15-2013, 12:42 PM

You have to get as close as possible. The mount you're using might not allow you to do this exact number... but,the zoom lens should be able to help you out.For example, with the velvet border I have for my screen, you're able to increase the size of your projected image into the frame without being penalized since the over scan cannot be seen thru the velvet. Point being, if your mount isn't exact, you can use the zoom feature to make up and cover the entire image area of your screen.
post #30 of 41 Old 05-15-2013, 02:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

^^
Make sense. Thanks. I am now leaning more toward the Benq W1070 as the review I read favors the W1070 slightly. Any objection? Thanks.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Optoma Hd25 Hd 3d Home Theater Projector , Benq W1070 1080p 3d Projector
Gear in this thread