Sharpness: DLP vs LCD - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 05-09-2013, 11:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I currently own a Benq W5000. My usage is a mix between web browsing, movies, games and photos in Windows 7. I am considering switching from the W5000 to the Epson 5020UB.

I am concerned that moving from DLP to LCD projectors about sharpness not being as good.

Do any of you run an Epson 3010/5010 or 3020/5020 in Windows? Are fonts readable? Is Windows navigation easy?

The Benq W5000 is extremely sharp, windows looks awesome, but it lacks black level and the input lag makes gaming almost impossible.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 05-09-2013, 11:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Started reading the W7000 thread and it sounds like the Epsons have even worse input lag than the Benqs and not as good sharpness or motion.

Still sounds like DLP > LCD for gamers...
post #3 of 9 Old 05-09-2013, 02:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Strictly gaming perspective...

Generally speaking DLP is the superior gaming tech but there are exceptions when it comes to input lag (not so much regarding motion where DLP is basically still king of digital projection).

One of the better inexpensive 1080p DLP PJ's for gaming is the BenQ w1070, input lag is in the 20ms to 30ms range.

For LCD the older Epson 8350 is excellent regarding input lag (20ms range), as is the even older Panasonic AE4000 (30ms range).

I have played on the 3010, 5010 and 5020 Epson's and while the lag is detectable it is not likely to bother casual gamers or those that do not play competitive online shooters/racing/fighting games.

Out of the newer roughly $3K models only the Sony HW50 offers decent input lag at around 30ms.

Avoid the JVC's for gaming due to both input lag and motion handling.

If you want a truly lag free gaming experience from a digital PJ the Optoma GT750 is about the best I have used (although it falls behind the others mentioned regarding over-all image quality).

Many of the inexpensive (1280x800) 720p LED DLP units also have minimal input lag (in the 20ms range).

* Regarding sharpness, generally speaking single chip DLP is sharper versus 3LCD but this can vary unit to unit due to lens quality (CA) and convergence (on the LCD).

Jason
post #4 of 9 Old 05-09-2013, 05:17 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
* Regarding sharpness, generally speaking single chip DLP is sharper versus 3LCD but this can vary unit to unit due to lens quality (CA) and convergence (on the LCD).

Jason[/quote]

How can this be true?

I thought that the pico (1280x800) DLP chips use wobulation and diagonal pixels to simulate resolution. They have lower native resolution than the 3LCD projectors.

At least my Epson 720 blows my HW300T away in center sharpness (I know it's just my experience). Text on the the DLP projectors (pico) leaves a lot to be desired.
post #5 of 9 Old 05-09-2013, 06:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 166
obscuro, I believe he was saying that in general terms dlp is sharper then lcd. Pico LED projectors do not fall into that category. Given the same lens, a single chip projector will always be sharper then a 3-panel design.
post #6 of 9 Old 05-09-2013, 06:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by obscuro View Post

Jason

How can this be true?

I thought that the pico (1280x800) DLP chips use wobulation and diagonal pixels to simulate resolution. They have lower native resolution than the 3LCD projectors.

At least my Epson 720 blows my HW300T away in center sharpness (I know it's just my experience). Text on the the DLP projectors (pico) leaves a lot to be desired.

Notice I said "generally". wink.gif

The 1280x800 LED units do not fall into "generally" for various reasons (often due to lens quality alone).

Jason
post #7 of 9 Old 05-10-2013, 10:27 AM

I noticed "generally". But suspect that DLP devices in "general" use wobulation and diagonal pixels to display there "native" resolutions.

I further suspect that pico DLP devices are in a substantial (more than 1080) amount of DLP displays.

So let me ask this: "Do DLP devices "generally have a 1:1 physical pixel mapping?"
post #8 of 9 Old 05-10-2013, 02:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Your assumptions are incorrect and yes most DLP displays do generally have 1:1 pixel mapping (the small LED 1280x800 DLP's being one of the exceptions).

Jason
post #9 of 9 Old 05-10-2013, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGamePimp View Post

Your assumptions are incorrect and yes most DLP displays do generally have 1:1 pixel mapping (the small LED 1280x800 DLP's being one of the exceptions).

Jason

You are saying that wobulation OR diagonal pixels are not used in most DLP displays. Okay.

Do you have any technical references for the TI chips?

Projector Central has published review(s) where the output resolution of the display was not available (from TI). They wondered about the actual resolution of the DLP device because the display was not sharp. And I have been confused by discussions of on this forum about the actual resolution of the DLP chips.

I'm sorry if you thought my suspicions were assumptions.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page