Epson 5020UB Video Issue During Some Blu Ray Movies - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 05-17-2013, 01:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I hope this is the right section to post this issue, if not, I apologize.

I just got done building my first home theater in my new home and am having a strange issue. When playing some Blu Ray movies, not all, the video will cut out and the projector will a black screen for up to five seconds and then the video reappears. When this happens, the Blu Ray audio continues to play normally and there is no skipping.

My configuration is a Epson 5020UB projector connected to my HarmonKardon AVR 3700 receiver by a 35 foot HDMI w/ethernet cable that is CL2 rated for going inside the ceiling. I have a Panasonic DBT500 Blu Ray player connected to my receiver using a high speed 1.4 rated HDMI cable.

I had it happen once during the Matrix, and it happened 3 times in 45 minutes on Star Wars Episode 1 during the race scene.

I am not sure what could be causing it as I haven't had it happen to the other Blu Ray movies I have watched on it in the last week since setting up the home theater.

When it happens there is some fast moving action scenes on the display if that matters.

I am new to this forum and would appreciate any assistance you can offer to determine what the root cause may be and how to resolve it.

Thanks again!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 05-17-2013, 01:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowsCove View Post

I hope this is the right section to post this issue, if not, I apologize.

I just got done building my first home theater in my new home and am having a strange issue. When playing some Blu Ray movies, not all, the video will cut out and the projector will a black screen for up to five seconds and then the video reappears. When this happens, the Blu Ray audio continues to play normally and there is no skipping.

My configuration is a Epson 5020UB projector connected to my HarmonKardon AVR 3700 receiver by a 35 foot HDMI w/ethernet cable that is CL2 rated for going inside the ceiling. I have a Panasonic DBT500 Blu Ray player connected to my receiver using a high speed 1.4 rated HDMI cable.

I had it happen once during the Matrix, and it happened 3 times in 45 minutes on Star Wars Episode 1 during the race scene.

I am not sure what could be causing it as I haven't had it happen to the other Blu Ray movies I have watched on it in the last week since setting up the home theater.

When it happens there is some fast moving action scenes on the display if that matters.

I am new to this forum and would appreciate any assistance you can offer to determine what the root cause may be and how to resolve it.

Thanks again!

I suspect your HDMI cable is performing right at the edge. Try the low resolution test. Set your Blu-ray player to 720p max resolution and play the movies you mentioned. If they play without a glitch then most likely that's where your problem lies.

Do not allow your AVR to upscale the video to 1080p.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #3 of 6 Old 05-17-2013, 02:09 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I have the same brand receiver. This is all you have to do: Go to set up device and set the HDMI to "bypass" this will allow the signal to go thru the receiver untouched and will bypass the video processing which interferes with the signal sometimes. Just try it.
post #4 of 6 Old 05-17-2013, 07:08 PM - Thread Starter

I think I may have fixed it. I noticed in my AVR 3700 Setup that the HDMI out to the projector was sending Audio and Video. So I disabled audio output over the HDMI to the projector and I set the HDMI audio return channel to OFF. I replayed the race scene tonight from Star Wars Episode one and it got all the way through this time with no video issues.

I will leave it at these settings for a while and see how things go. If the video issue returns, I will try your recommendation to bypass the HDMI video.

Thanks to everyone for the responses!
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbeenjammin View Post

I have the same brand receiver. This is all you have to do: Go to set up device and set the HDMI to "bypass" this will allow the signal to go thru the receiver untouched and will bypass the video processing which interferes with the signal sometimes. Just try it.
post #5 of 6 Old 06-28-2013, 11:59 AM - Thread Starter

I wanted to provide an update so that anyone else that has this issue in the past, can resolve it and not pull their hair out.

When we last left off, I had tried a number of different things to resolve the video blacking out on my projector during a movie. I knew it had to have something to do with my HDMI cable or receiver. At first I though I had it fixed by turning off the return channel on the monitor out HDMI port that led to my projector. When I did this, I no longer had any blackouts for a couple of movies. But then it started happening again. I went and double checked the settings on my receiver for the HDMI monitor out and all the return channel settings were back on by themselves. Nobody else uses this system so I decided to lock the receiver settings in the menu so that no changes could be made without unlocking it first. Another couple of days went by and all of a sudden the settings reverted back and the problems with the video blacking out for 5 seconds every 10-15 minutes was back.

I called up HarmonKardon to enquire why my receiver was automatically changing settings on me even when it was locked. The first tier of their support was awful and no matter what I told them, they didn't listen and had no idea how to use their own product line for configuration. I finally got to the top tier of support and they were very knowledgeable. After describing my issues, they said "We can't help you because your HDMI cable is longer than 5 meters." I asked them "How does a cable length affect your receiver from changing my settings even when it is locked?" They continued to hold their position that they will offer no service unless I changed my HDMI cable to something shorter than 15 feet. Having a projector, this was not an option as my projector is 30 feet away from the receiver. I paid over $100 for a top of the line 35 foot HDMI calbe that has the latest specs and is CL3 rated for in ceiling placement. It works great when I bypass the receiver and run straight from the Blu Ray player, so I knew it was the receiver causing this issue.

After speaking with management, they still offered no help so I attempted to use an HDMI repeater. This didn't help the issue either, so I knew it wasn't cable related

Finally I turned off every single option in the Blu Ray HDMI port configuration in my receiver so that not one feature remained that was configurable. I turned off the HDMI return channels, the control port, bypassed the receiver, etc. Finally this worked and has remained working ever since making this change a couple of weeks ago.

It turns out after adding one option back in a time it was the control port that allows HDMI LInk to work to autodetect a device and switch the receiver to the appropriate channel and ports for audio and video. So I re-enabled all the settings on the receiver and just turned off the return channel and the control port and all has been well.

HarmonKardon may make a great receiver (AVR 3700) but their support is terrible and their customer service is non-existent. I will never buy another one of their products ever again. I also bought Denon in the past, but I got a heck of a deal on this receiver as part of a package I bought for speakers and subs.
Warmwind likes this.
post #6 of 6 Old 12-10-2013, 09:01 PM

Liked: 10

Dear ShadowsCove,

Thank you very much for posting the information! I just saw your post and believe I have similar issue that you had. My system is H/K 3700 + Epson 5030.

I have copied my questions below. Would you kindly reply to give me some details on how to resolve this issue? Will setup 3D bypass be enough? 

What do you mean by "turned off the return channel and the control port"? I could not find the control port in the H/K 3700 manual

Also, does anyone experience the "mute" issue I described below?

Thank you very much!

is copied below
--------------------------------------

Hi everyone,

I just bought an Epson 5030UB and connected it to the Harman/Kardon 3700. It is a fantastic combination -- best audio and video I have so far. However I encountered one problem---when shifting from 2D to the 3D mode, the projector halted, then the light was off, and the blue and orange lights began to flash. I patiently waited for 1-2 minutes and the projector shut off on its own.  I turned it on again, and this time it played the 3D movie smoothly, as if nothing happened.

The above issue occurred several times in the past week when playing 3D movie. It doesn't happen all the time though. 

Does anyone have similar experience? I really love the H/K 3700, as well as the Epson, and do hope they can work together.

My system setup is: Samsung BD-F5900 Blu-ray Disc Player, connected to the Harman Kardon AVR 3700 via HDMI, then the AVR connects to the projector via HDMI. All high-speed HDMI that can handle 3D.

Any suggestion highly appreciated. 

Also, when I turn off the projector, the H/K AVR goes to mute mode, and no sound comes out even if I change to FM radio. No sound after pressing the mute/unmute button, or change the volume of the sound. Even turn off the AVR and turn it on would not resolve the problem. 

The only way to bring back the sound is to turn on the projector, then all sounds come back again. This is very weird to me --- how come the projector can put the AVR in such a strong "mute" mode?

Thanks for reading.

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Epson 5020ub Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector , Harman Kardon Avr 3700 7 2 Channel Av Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page