AE100 and Component Cables - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 06-13-2002, 02:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Due to objections from my non-HT appreciating other half, I am now obliged to have the wires for my HT fished through the walls. Expensive, but definitely passes the HAF.

My question is this: I have to fish the component cables from my DVD/Receiver through the walls to get it to my AE100. There is about another 7 ft or so that the component cables have to travel from the back wall to get them to the AE100. Should I have the component cables be one continuous run from my DVD/Receiver to my AE100, or should I do a daisy-chain where there is one run from the DVD/Receiver to my back wall, and then another run from my back wall to the AE100?

My husband wants the daisy-chain solution. His point is that when we're not using the AE100 (we only get to watch in the weekends), we can put the 7ft or so strip of component cables away so there are no messy cables trailing all over the floor. My argument is that it will probably degrade the PQ if we do the daisy-chain of component cables from the DVD to the wall, and then from the wall to the AE100. I told him, why not just have the component cables stick out of the walls and I'll just coil the cables in some "pretty" basket sitting on the floor when it's not connected to the PJ. (We have a guy that will make the component cables for us with the proper male/female ends so getting the component cables isn't a problem.)

Can anyone settle the debate? Thanks in advance for any knowledge/experience you guys can pass on.

Use R. Name
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 06-13-2002, 03:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Two points:

Daisy-chains are generally not good as multiple connections mean more areas for interference.

Also, unless you have a transcoder sitting with your PJ, why are you using component cables at all? You really need VGA to make it shine, unless you purposely want to stay with simple interlaced DVD players...
post #3 of 10 Old 06-13-2002, 03:12 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 20
The more connections, the weaker the signal. This is especially true since component video is an analog signal. It will truly be best to run one continuous wire through your walls. It is a pain in the ass, but it can be done. Best thing about doing this is that, it only has to be done once, and once done, it looks very professional.

You can make a long high quality cable very easily if you have the right tools. Check out this site:

http://www.bus.ucf.edu/cwhite/theater/diycable.htm

Barring the cost of the needed tools, the cost of a DYI 25 ft component cable will only run you about 50 bucks. These Canare cable rivals the quality of any store bought Monster Cable.

Good Luck.
post #4 of 10 Old 06-13-2002, 03:32 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the input on the daisy-chain. That's one point for me.

Also, I have been thinking of getting the AA transcoder, but it will probably be another few months before I do so. (This hobby is expensive!) At that point, I was thinking of putting the transcoder right next to the projector.

(WAIT! D'oh! I guess another alternative is to buy the transcoder now, place it next to the DVD player, buy a short run of component cables and wire out a VGA cable to the back wall. Sounds cheaper than component cables, but then I'd have to buy the transcoder now. Hmm. . . .)

Also, I'm not sure what you mean by my purposely wanting to stay with simple interlaced DVD players. I demoed my AE100 with my friend's Panasonic RP62 (prog scan), and with a DVD->component->AE100 connection, we were definitely able to see a BIG difference between interlaced and prog scan. I just recently placed an order for a Denon 1600 (RP62's twin bro w/ DVD-A) to take advantage of the prog scan difference.

Am I missing something?

Thanks again!
Use R. Name
post #5 of 10 Old 06-13-2002, 03:35 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you niggenz. That is a very good point about component video being an analog signal.

That 2 for me, 0 for my husband. Good deal!
post #6 of 10 Old 06-13-2002, 03:48 PM
cpc
AVS Club Gold

yeah, use a VGA cable for longer run as it'll be more convenient and less noisy, right?
post #7 of 10 Old 06-13-2002, 03:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
I should have elaborated.

I thought perhaps your choice of using component cables was because you weren't interested in going progressive scan. As the others have said here, VGA is the only way to go. A good shielded VGA cable should probably also deal with the long distance better.
post #8 of 10 Old 06-14-2002, 09:25 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks all.

I think I'm gonna get the transcoder now and wire out a 25-ft VGA cable. I looked on the web and double-shielded video VGA cables are cheap (especially relative to component cables) and can go for very long runs without much noise. And a VGA cable sticking out of a wall is a lot more inconspicuous than a honking 3-cable component deal.

Again, thanks for all the input.

Use R. Name
post #9 of 10 Old 06-16-2002, 11:15 AM

Offtopic but I noticed you are local. I'm a HT newbie in Palo Alto.

Any chance I can see your AE100 setup? I can't find anyone local that sells it or the Plus Piano. I can bring an iScan Plus and Video Essentials to play with -- heck you can borrow them for a while if you'd like. Also just bought the new JVC progressive DVD player ($180) and it looks good on my Sony 34HD1 CRT.

Paul
post #10 of 10 Old 06-17-2002, 03:34 PM - Thread Starter

Paul:

I sent you a PM. Please check.

Use R. Name
Closed Thread Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version