3D projectors with a really good horizontal lens, shift besides the Epson models? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 05-19-2013, 01:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi there,

I have a HT in a unique and problem room. I have low ceilings in my basement t and the only place I can place my PJ is about 11 feet from my 97 inch carada screen, and to the side by about 30%, so people don't walk into it. Lol. I've had great results with a Sanyo Z4. People were blown away by what I did with my room and I love my HT. my Z4 worked flawlessly for 6 + years. It had the best lens shift along with the Lanny 900 back then. I was very happy with the performance of my Z4 and was surprised at how versatile the world of front projection had become.

Then 2 years and 2 weeks ago I decided it was time to go with a new 1080p projector. I went with the Epson 8700 instead of the Panny 7000. This time I've had nothing but trouble. Out of the box I was amazed by the brightness of the picture and the overall quality of the picture. Unfortunately after using it for 5 hours, my bulb exploded. Since then every few months after very limited use, my bulb starts to noticeably dim and eventually explodes or just stops working. Every time Epson claimed that it was then bulb and not the PJ, and they told me that the warranty on the bulb was one year. I was happy to keep changing bulbs rather than sending it in for a refurbished replacement t after hearing others experiences with refurbishedEpson projectors. Now that my warranty is expired for 2 weeks or so, my bulb once again crapped out. This time theres no talk of it being the bulb and not the projector. Now that my warranty is expired, now im basically screwed! After begging and pleading I got them to send me a refurbished replacement. I dont expect the replacement unit to be any good. Ill keep sending them back until I get something usable and ill use it as a backup to my new projector. That's where I need some help.

Here is my current equipment list:

Outlaw 990 pre/pro
Outlaw 7125 amp
M&K S-150 THX LCR
M&K SS-150 THX dipole surrounds
M&K MX350 THX Sub
M&K column surround rear speakers
TIVO premier XL
PlayStation 3
Toshiba HD-A2 HDDVD player

I'm looking for a good 3D projector that has really solid lens shift that is NOT an Epson. The only obvious choice is the Panisonic AE 8000. That is definitely the top contender. I was hoping there were other quality 3D projectors to choose from that would work in my problem room mentioned above. My budget is about $3000. Unfortunately most projector reviews don't get too much into the degree of lens shift a PJ has.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2013, 02:12 PM - Thread Starter

Here's my theater Sanyo Z4 projector Outlaw audio 990/7125 combo Toshiba HD-A2 HD-DVD player DirecTV Tivo Carada 96" Brilliant white screen
Here's my theater Sanyo Z4 projector Outlaw audio 990/7125 combo Toshiba HD-A2 HD-DVD player DirecTV Tivo Carada 96" Brilliant white screen

Here are some pics so you have an idea of what my room is like. This is from the old Sanyo Z4 days. God how I miss that PJ. Reminds me of the little train that could! frown.gif
Old 05-19-2013, 03:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Not sure if it has enough lens shift but did you look at the Z30K. 2 days left on woot for $1799 with emitter and 2 pair of glasses. I get mine tomorrow so will be posting initial impression before calibration in the 30K thread in the >3K forum.
Old 05-19-2013, 03:34 PM - Thread Starter

I'll give it a look for sure. Let me know how the lens shift seems. I'm looking at the Mitsubishi HC5. It looks outstanding. I do have some questions about it tho.
Old 05-19-2013, 03:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 150
The Z30k won't have enough lens shift, getting exact lens shift calcs for you on the Mits, but I need as exact horizontal measurments as you can provide from the edge or center of the screen.

Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

Old 05-19-2013, 04:15 PM - Thread Starter

In this pic I ran a tape measure directly from the front of my lens to my screen. I had my Wife put her finger on the screen directly adjacent to where the front of the lens naturally lands on the screen. I centered a DVD where the mark was. I hope this helps.

Also, My projector is exactly 10 feet away from the screen surface. I could push the PJ back a few inches but that's it.

I'm really interested in the Mitsu HC5. I'm confused about the throw distance. It's supossedly the same as the 9000, but the 9000 is listed as being capable of filling my screen from 8 feet but with the HC5 it lists it as being capable from 12 feet. Is this inaccurate? I'm really hoping the HC5 would work in my setup.
Old 05-22-2013, 03:44 PM - Thread Starter

Come on! Nothing? I was hoping a mitsu HC5 would be good but the lens shift isn't powerful enough. It isn't. Can anyone tell me if they Panny 8000 will work?
Old 05-23-2013, 12:07 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Have you thought about maybe putting the projector on a slide of sorts and move it out to the center of the screen when you're using it?
Old 05-23-2013, 04:08 PM - Thread Starter

It's tough in the center because my ceilings are low and I don't want to walk into it.
Old 05-23-2013, 04:51 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Meno View Post

It's tough in the center because my ceilings are low and I don't want to walk into it.

That's why I recommended using a sled or something. When not in use, move it out of the way, but when you need it, slide it out.

How much walking around is there when watching something?
Old 05-24-2013, 12:56 AM - Thread Starter

Good point. Do u know where I can buy something like that?
Old 05-24-2013, 04:23 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Meno View Post

Good point. Do u know where I can buy something like that?

I figure you could build it yourself rather easily. Go to home depot or Lowes (or whatever you have where you live) and maybe talk to somebody to see what they recommend and have.

Tags
Sanyo Plv Z4 , Epson Home Cinema 8700 Ub Projector , Panasonic Pt Ae7000u 1080p Full Hd Projector , Panasonic Ptae8000u Hd Projector