Picked out my set-up, let me know if I am making a good choice. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 05-21-2013, 08:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Unlike my home audio setup I didn't feel like spending weeks reviewing and auditioning products. I spent the morning looking around on the web and comparing prices and picked out what I think is good for the money. Not planning to go the way of 3D yet, so 3D performance isn't all that important to me. If I did I would probably go with that current woot.com deal for the SHARP XVZ30000.

I have a good size family room with no ceiling lamps. I plan on putting the screen in front of my TV setup. So I could transition from one to the other depending on my viewing mood.

I plan on going these all from Amazon.com

Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 8350 @ $1,109.00

Elite Screens ELECTRIC125H-A1080P2 Spectrum Projection Screen (125 Inch 16:9 AR) @ $478.79

ATDEC TH-WH-PJ-FM Telehook Flush Ceiling Projector Mount @ $50

Elite Screens VMAX/Manual wall and ceiling hanging L-brackets @$20

Aurum Cables High Speed HDMI Cable (50 Ft) - Cl3 Rated for In-wall Installation @$ 26.99

Totaling + $1684.70

I want the AT screen for flexibility of placement and the potential to have a tower speaker as my center channel. I will eventually be building a HT room with stadium ceiling and will have a stage to place the speakers and subs on. Not sure if this would be rigid enough but I can always return it to Amazon if needed.

I could spend more if needed. But wasn't sure if the additional cost would be worth it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 05-22-2013, 08:32 AM - Thread Starter

Thoughts on the Screen? after some additional reading I find the AT screens should really be afixed to something . They are also much more expensive than a standard screen. I might go with a 120" manual pulldown for 140 bucks and later one build my theater and get the AT screen.
post #3 of 4 Old 05-24-2013, 12:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Unless you need a HP screen, the Elite should be fine until you upgrade the setup. You might want to consider the Benq 1070 if you have no issues with RBE (rainbows) from dlp units and can deal with the limited lens shift. Or for about $600 more move into a little better pj, (better blacks), like a refurb Epson 5010. Visualapex has 'em for around $1600 and might be a better option to get the best blacks for what sounds like a higher end HT setup your trying to achieve?

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1391476/coderguys-top-projector-picks A good starting point to see strengths of pj's in your price range.
lemonslush likes this.
post #4 of 4 Old 05-24-2013, 05:21 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks very much for the feed back. I will check out the Visualapex site you noted. Seems like spending a bit extra might be worth it.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 8350 , Elite Screens Electric125h A1080p2 Electric Projection Screen , Atdec Th Wh Pj Fm Telehook Universal Projector Flush Mount
Gear in this thread - Electric125h by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page