Problem running my HDMI cable - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 05-21-2013, 08:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi everyone, looking for some help. I have a Panasonic pt ar100u (been very happy with it so far). I am running a high speed 50ft HDMI cable through the ceiling to a wall box where it plugs into female connector. I can plug another HDMI cable into that wall plug from my DISH receiver and get a great picture. No problems.
When I plug my BD player into that same wall plug via the same HDMI cable I get nothing. Now if I plug directly into the projector with the same HDMI cable I get a great picture. Anybody know why? I used the same set up at my old house but I used the single 50ft. cable directly into the BD player (and HD DVR) and it worked fine but I wanted a nicer, more finished look so I added the wall plug which just requires another HDMI cable. Why would the Dish DVR work fine and the BD player not work? Any ideas?
Thanks everyone.
Toran
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 05-22-2013, 05:50 AM

Liked: 11
What is the make and model of the BD player? What version of HDMI does it support?

Maybe it does not support 50ft long cable.
post #3 of 7 Old 05-22-2013, 07:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by torans View Post

Hi everyone, looking for some help. I have a Panasonic pt ar100u (been very happy with it so far). I am running a high speed 50ft HDMI cable through the ceiling to a wall box where it plugs into female connector. I can plug another HDMI cable into that wall plug from my DISH receiver and get a great picture. No problems.
When I plug my BD player into that same wall plug via the same HDMI cable I get nothing. Now if I plug directly into the projector with the same HDMI cable I get a great picture. Anybody know why? I used the same set up at my old house but I used the single 50ft. cable directly into the BD player (and HD DVR) and it worked fine but I wanted a nicer, more finished look so I added the wall plug which just requires another HDMI cable. Why would the Dish DVR work fine and the BD player not work? Any ideas?
Thanks everyone.
Toran

It could be that the 50 foot cable is functioning right on the edge resolution-wise. I don't have DISH but believe the max resolution is 1080i/720p, correct me if I'm wrong. Most likely you have the Blu-ray player resolution set to 1080p which is twice the data rate. As a test try setting the Blu-ray player to 720p max resolution and see if the picture appears.

The HDMI plate and additional cable could be causing enough signal loss to cause the 50 foot cable to fail. That's one reason some people avoid HDMI wall plates and opt for bulk cable plates instead.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #4 of 7 Old 05-22-2013, 09:53 AM

FWIW, I have excellent success with a wireless HDMI setup. I bought mine from Costco. Made by IOGear. It has 2 HDMI inputs and a passthrough. And it supports 3D. I've transmitted up to 1080p/60 no problem. I use it to send my Dish DVR or Sony PS3 signal from where my TV is located, in my family room, to my projector, in my living room. I have a box that the wireless HDMI receiver output cable in the living room goes to first, that breaks out stereo audio (It will also break out multi-channel PCM audio -- I just have stereo); an HDMI cable then goes from that box to my projector. The transmission goes through 2 walls, maybe 30-35 ft, by line of sight. The only problem I have is that, not infrequently, when I fast forward or skip forward while watching a program from the Dish DVR, the HDMI link will lose sync and blank for about 5 seconds. I don't know why. But I do know that this problem is not unique to my IOGear wireless HDMI -- I had the same problem with a previous wireless HDMI link that I had (which I only got rid of because it only had one HDMI input, whereas the IOGear has 2; I gave the old one to my sister). Both use a wireless chipset made by Amimon, which invented the protocol now in wide use. Good luck.
post #5 of 7 Old 05-22-2013, 10:59 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies everyone. Very helpful, sure wish I knew there was a wireless HDMI connection, that would have saved a heck of a lot of work... Ugghhhh...
Oh well, it's wired now and I'll probably move to the wall cover shown for this reason. Still a pain to manually switch the cable every time I want to go back and forth but cheaper than trying to run 2 50ft cables. If anyone else has info or suggestions I'd love to hear them.
Thanks,
Toran
P.S. How much was the wireless HDMI?
post #6 of 7 Old 05-22-2013, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:

Thanks for the replies everyone. Very helpful, sure wish I knew there was a wireless HDMI connection, that would have saved a heck of a lot of work... Ugghhhh...
Oh well, it's wired now and I'll probably move to the wall cover shown for this reason. Still a pain to manually switch the cable every time I want to go back and forth but cheaper than trying to run 2 50ft cables. If anyone else has info or suggestions I'd love to hear them.
Thanks,
Toran

Wireless "HDMI" is a bit of a crap shoot though as well. It all depends upon your environment. Anybody who says it is as reliable may only be speaking form "their experience". smile.gif

I must be guilty because people say I am guilty because they chose to call me guilty because they refuse to see the truth. Much easier to be part of the mob..
post #7 of 7 Old 05-24-2013, 04:56 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:

Thanks,
Toran
Go on amazon and search on WHDI, you will see what people have to say.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Panasonic Pt Ar100u Lcd Projector
Gear in this thread - Ar100u by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page