Getting new projector for around 2500$, any point waiting for 4K? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 05-24-2013, 02:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I guess the topic explains it, I am getting a new porjector, but should I wait for 4k, will it come at a reasonable price any time soon, or will that be years in the future? How about the screen, should i get one that is more "4k-compatible", I want to get one that is acoustically transparent, and I guess most of them are weaved, so the size of the weave will probably be of importance?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2013, 03:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked: 378
Spending more money on a better screen is far more important than spending money on a specification that doesn't really exist yet.

HDMI 2.0 is slated for UHD support. There is no content, no meaningful sources, and not much else with UHD that matters right now. So, spending the money on a UHD projector seems very wasteful at this time.

Realistically, in 5 years, you may be able to replace a $2,500 projector, with a $2,000 projector which is UHD native, has better black levels, and more features than what you would find in any $10,000 projector today.

Unless you are very serious about getting UHD right now, and willing to spend the money, then it won't be very beneficial for anyone for several more years.

Why spend money on the screen then?

Because your screen should be sized right for your theater and should last you 15+ years if it is a quality screen. That may be 2-3 projectors of usage, including whatever UHD model you end up with. A solid choice is getting a good screen.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
Old 05-24-2013, 08:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 39
You might be waiting several years for a 4k to be available at a $2500 price point. That price point does however get you into some pretty nice pj's atm, with features that a few years ago would cost over $7k. http://www.avsforum.com/t/1391476/coderguys-top-projector-picks is a good comparison look at the strengths each has. You might consider adding a Darbee to the purchase to improve on the picture as well. http://www.avsforum.com/t/1399154/darbee-vision-darblet I love the improvement on my Epson 6010. Hopefully 5-6 yrs later we can all upgrade to 4k in this pricing point.
Old 05-24-2013, 11:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated View Post

Spending more money on a better screen is far more important than spending money on a specification that doesn't really exist yet.

HDMI 2.0 is slated for UHD support. There is no content, no meaningful sources, and not much else with UHD that matters right now. So, spending the money on a UHD projector seems very wasteful at this time.

Realistically, in 5 years, you may be able to replace a $2,500 projector, with a $2,000 projector which is UHD native, has better black levels, and more features than what you would find in any $10,000 projector today.

Unless you are very serious about getting UHD right now, and willing to spend the money, then it won't be very beneficial for anyone for several more years.

Why spend money on the screen then?

Because your screen should be sized right for your theater and should last you 15+ years if it is a quality screen. That may be 2-3 projectors of usage, including whatever UHD model you end up with. A solid choice is getting a good screen.

Thanks for the tip, I will see what i can do with the screen then. Although a 4k-screen with acoustical transparency and tab-tension is pretty expensive. I must admit it feels a bit wrong to spend so much on the screen, it might cost more than the projector. And although the room is light-controlled, it does not have dark walls. Might a good screen be a bit overkill?
Old 05-24-2013, 11:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnabq View Post

You might be waiting several years for a 4k to be available at a $2500 price point. That price point does however get you into some pretty nice pj's atm, with features that a few years ago would cost over $7k. http://www.avsforum.com/t/1391476/coderguys-top-projector-picks is a good comparison look at the strengths each has. You might consider adding a Darbee to the purchase to improve on the picture as well. http://www.avsforum.com/t/1399154/darbee-vision-darblet I love the improvement on my Epson 6010. Hopefully 5-6 yrs later we can all upgrade to 4k in this pricing point.

Thanks, i will definitely check out the thread about top projectors.

Tags
2500 Lumens Dlp Projector , Epson Powerlite Pro Cinema 6010 Projector