Green blotches only when the picture is black on an Epson 8700?!?! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 05-25-2013, 02:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I hope someone can help me. To make a long story short, I had an epson 8700. It had problems with the bulbs constantly burning out very prematurely. I received a replacement had to send it back bc it had a green band on the left side of the screen. Then it completely died an hour or so after. I received the second replacement and this one looks great but I notice something every time the screen goes black. Only when the screen is completely black, I notice green splotches in a few areas of the screen. Epson has a terrible track record with there refurbished projectors. The green splotches don't bother me bc you only see it when the picture is black. Is this a problem that means there is something significantly wrong with the projector? If so, I will send it back, but if it's something minor, I'll probably just keep it. Any help would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 05-25-2013, 06:52 PM - Thread Starter

Here is a pic of my screen. It's hard to make out but if you can see the green spot, that is at the lower right hand corner of the screen. There's also a smaller green spot toward the middle of the screen. Can anyone tell me what kind of problem I have and if it will lead to bigger problems?
post #3 of 14 Old 05-25-2013, 06:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Sounds like a "dust blob". Pannys get this too, there is dust inside the PJ and that is what is causing the green blob you see. You can try a can of air, 50/50 on if it will get it out.

-Sean
post #4 of 14 Old 05-25-2013, 07:08 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks. I might try an air can. I'm going to call Epson first though.
post #5 of 14 Old 05-25-2013, 08:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 39
One way to test, try turning the focus adjustment, dust will normally appear to change in focus, or sharper.
post #6 of 14 Old 05-26-2013, 02:13 AM - Thread Starter

I will give that a shot when I get home. Thanks!
post #7 of 14 Old 05-26-2013, 03:21 PM

Liked: 10
Actually its probably not dust. Dust is opaque and therefore blocks light. When projecting black all light should be blocked (obviously it's not and we have what is called video black), therefore dust blocking light would not show up as a color.

More like, a color showing through in black is a problem with the polarizers (maybe LCDs, but less likely). My guess is some minor damage to the polarizer. I can't see it in your image, so its hard to say if it's a manufacturing defect or physical damage (scratched, cleaned improperly) or if it's burns/degradation. If it is starting to burn, that process will continue (abet potentially slowly).
post #8 of 14 Old 05-26-2013, 03:41 PM

Liked: 14
Both of my Epson HC 720 projectors have the green dots on a darkened screen. At first, I thought it was dust but then I blanked the screen. I was able to focus on clusters of green dots. I bought the projectors as refurbs.

Both projectors have the dots in the same areas. Since a completely dark screen seldom occurs I did not send the projectors back. Besides, I don't know what Epson's bad policy is for projectors.
post #9 of 14 Old 05-26-2013, 04:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by LavaASU View Post

Actually its probably not dust. Dust is opaque and therefore blocks light. When projecting black all light should be blocked (obviously it's not and we have what is called video black), therefore dust blocking light would not show up as a color.

More like, a color showing through in black is a problem with the polarizers (maybe LCDs, but less likely). My guess is some minor damage to the polarizer. I can't see it in your image, so its hard to say if it's a manufacturing defect or physical damage (scratched, cleaned improperly) or if it's burns/degradation. If it is starting to burn, that process will continue (abet potentially slowly).

I've had dust blobs and mine were green as per the OP's description. Welcome to the world of Epson dust blobs.

That's why I abandoned Epson and now have projectors that have a sealed light path. I will only entertain another Epson if they change to a sealed design. Good thing their warranty program is top notch!
post #10 of 14 Old 05-26-2013, 04:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 29
That's dust. It's impossible to avoid in LCD's since they are not totally sealed light paths.

Seriously, for THAT I wouldn't send it back. Odds are you'll get a worse one.

I have had to clean a few LCD's and even a DLP for this.... it WILL happen, even if the projector is initially perfect.

Welcome to the darkside.....
post #11 of 14 Old 05-26-2013, 04:28 PM - Thread Starter

IDK what to do! My old Epson 8700 had lots of problems because my bulbs would constantly explode or burn out. They kept replacing the bulbs and saying it wasn't the projector. After the warranty ran out, now it's the projector. I got them to send me a refurbished replacement with a 30 day warranty. The first one I got was a disaster. It had a green band on the left side of the screen. Then an error message popped up and the projector flashed red! This replacement actually looks really good other than the green spots. I guess I'll call Epson Tues and see what they say.
post #12 of 14 Old 05-26-2013, 04:29 PM - Thread Starter

By the way, I adjusted the focus like it was reccomended. I have 2 green spots. At one extreme end of the focus wheel, one of the green dots is in focus and very vivid while the other becomes washed out. At the opposite end, the other green dot becomes vivid and the other now becomes washed out. Is that any indication that it is or isn't dust?
post #13 of 14 Old 05-26-2013, 08:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 39
Idk, sounds like it is dust to me too. Send the images to support and get their take. If they offer you another replacement, ask that it be inspected by a tech before shipment. As much as I like my epson, it might be time for you to try something different, if this next one doesn't work out. GL
post #14 of 14 Old 05-27-2013, 04:49 PM - Thread Starter

IDK what to do! I just calibrated the picture and it looks absolutely amazing! It definitely looks better than my old projector ever did. It's super bright and vivid. Everyone who sees it thinks so. I still have the green dots during a black screen. I just wish I knew it was something that wasn't going to get worse. I'm going to get a new PJ that has 3D pretty soon, but this would be an awesome backup. I'm watching the Yankee game and I feel like I'm there. It's unreal! I hope this doesn't turn out to be another lemon!
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Epson Home Cinema 8700 Ub Projector , Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 720 3lcd Home Theater Projector

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page