what new pj? - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 05-26-2013, 08:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I started this quest for help on the Epson 5020 owner’s thread. Now that I returned the 5020 after 5 days of ownership I am once again uncommitted. I am hoping for a broader range of feedback by starting a new thread.

First off, I loved the Epson’s 2d performance. I am upgrading from an Epson 1080UB. Granted, I am halfway through the bulb’s life on the 1080UB. But going back left me wanting. The 1080UB is still impressively sharp. But man, I want the 5020 back for its incredible blacks and pop and brightness. I want it back bad.

So why did I returned it? I thought the 3d was mostly unwatchable. I want to know what went wrong.
Is it because I was connecting it through wireless hdmi, an ActionTec MyWirelessTV system? I don’t have enough experience to know. I do know that the wireless device seemed to work great on both projectors in 2d.

Except I noticed from my PC as a source, there was a noticeable delay with the computer mouse on the 5020. Not so with my old trooper the 1080UB. I am guessing there is increase in delay because of more video processing going on. I am not a gamer interested in micro seconds, but I do want a reasonably responsive computer mouse.

But I also had to max out the sound delay on my sound system for the delay to not be bothersome during a movie with the 5020.

But the 5020 is wildly regarded as the best picture in the price range. I have no comparison experience but I have no problem with agreeing with that statement. The 2d picture was awesome. I loved it. I loved it a lot.

But 3d was mostly choppy, jittery, mostly unwatchable. If this is the best that 3d can get for a pj in this price range, I am disappointed. Yes, the potato cod in the IMAX Under the Sea video was amazing. One scene. With a slow moving object. How nice.

If this is the best 3d gets for the price range? I would rather have a pj with similar 2d performance as the 5020 but without the 3d premium price. Is there such a projector?

That being said, I am also stuck with a 12ft distance and also require a 45in height for 16:9 and a 120+ diagonal for widescreen. The only 2 pj’s I see on the market with that range is the Epson 5020 and the Panny 8000.

I might very well buy the Epson again. I don’t know. I feel a little guilty for returning it. But there are no display rooms to compare. I was forced to do this.
So, any other suggestions?

45 height for 16:9? 123 diagonal for widescreen? Tolerable 3d? Does that exist? Or should I just get a new bulb for my tried and trusty 1080ub? Or should I get a passive 3d LG 65 inch flat pannel?
DLP doesn’t seem to have the throw distance I need in projectors.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 05-27-2013, 12:07 PM

Liked: 11
I wonder why so many people are having such issues with the 3d. Reading the reviews, it seems that it is one of the best 3d projectors out there. There are few that are bright enough to pull it off. I was all set to get a 5020 as an upgrade from my 8700, but Epson screwed me with the customer service so I'm leaning toward a Panny. Both seem to have many complaints with the 3d so now I might wait till the next models come out. I'm hoping the new Panasonic has dramatically improved 3d in there next model. If they do, I will surely be buying it.
post #3 of 4 Old 05-29-2013, 09:03 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Maybe not everybody's eyes are cut out for active 3d. The passive lg flat panels at Best Buy look pretty good to me. I am tempted to get the Panny 8000 to compare now that I have seen the Epson. The Panny has more tweaking capabilities.
post #4 of 4 Old 05-29-2013, 09:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 161
You need a DLP to do any gaming in 3D, for regular 3d movies the Epson is not bad, but it's not as clean as a DLP. I was considering using the Epson just for 3D movies since I really cannot take 3D gaming much anymore (too rough on the eyes)...

Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Epson 5020ub Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector , Epson Home Cinema 8700 Ub Projector
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page