Would a projector work for me - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2013, 10:53 PM
Advanced Member
 
DLPProjectorfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 792
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 34
One thing about speakers is unless they are mounted to the wall or ceiling that you can always move then around.
I would wait until everything is set up with your screen and projector and see how it is then.
The center speaker ? is it on it's own shelf ? on in a cabinet ?
There's a section here on AVS for theator room constuction and maybe you can look at some of the pictures and get some new ideas.
Some of those theator rooms that some people have built in their homes here on AVS are great.
Fierce_GT 's advice is correct it's best to leave the speakers alone.
Maybe you can swap your set or sell them and get a pair that is just as good with no glossy.
It would give you a good excuse to tell your wife that you need to get a new and improved set of speakers tongue.gifbiggrin.gif
DLPProjectorfan is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 07-01-2013, 10:58 PM
Advanced Member
 
DLPProjectorfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 792
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Forgive me for double posts in a short amount of time but I forgot one thing to say.
About that plywood plank in the ceiling ?
If you want to sheetrock back over it just recess the plywood deep enough so when you place the sheetrock up it will be flush with the rest of the sheetrock.
It's going to take someone with some experience with sheetrock to do it right and no lines ripples bumps.
Unless it's a new room whole sheetrock job that part of the ceiling is never going to be the same as in being perfect unless you have someone who's really good with sheetrock or plaster.
DLPProjectorfan is offline  
Old 07-02-2013, 09:26 AM
Senior Member
 
acras13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Los Angeles , CA
Posts: 253
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 15
It's going to be easier to blend the plywood into the existing drywall than to cut 1/2 or 5/8" reliefs into numerous ceiling joists to allow recessing the plywood, and any patch in an existing wall or ceiling will require someone with skill to make it look great. If you really want to make sure, use a slightly thinner sheet of ply than the the drywall ( 1/2" with 5/8" drywall) so you can use mud to make up the 1/8" difference. Blending at the edges is the place where problems usually show, and a quality finisher know how to make it right.

“Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”---Mark Twain
acras13 is offline  
Old 07-05-2013, 02:41 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
squigly1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Canada
Posts: 280
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Day 1 of electrical is done. Lights work though not yet on dimmers. Quite the mess what with having to drill, cut, etc. through plaster as there was lots of pipes, some ducting, and joists to get around up there. Painter will have lots of plastering to do though mostly small holes. Next is to connect lights to switches but not yet dimmers (Dimmers will come once paint is done). After that we run cables, put an outlet in ceiling, etc.
squigly1 is offline  
Old 07-05-2013, 11:04 PM
Advanced Member
 
DLPProjectorfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 792
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Yes messy it will be until it's done and no point of trying to even clean it up at this point unless it becomes a safety hazzard.
I remember long time ago helping to build a building and got upset because the electricians would always leave a mess after I would come and clean up the mess the day before.
I have found out since then why electricians have to leave a mess is because of time and to move fast in what they do.
Time is money.
I don't complain about it anymore since I learned what it was all about in what electricians do.
It's best to let them do what they do and stay out of the way.
DLPProjectorfan is offline  
Old 07-06-2013, 06:33 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
squigly1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Canada
Posts: 280
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Yep, though I did clean up some. The lighting is going to some time to get used to. Way not as light in here as it used to be with the fluorescents, and I got shadows. I guess once the bulbs come down to their final position in the can and can then be aimed it will be better.
squigly1 is offline  
Old 07-07-2013, 03:03 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
squigly1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Canada
Posts: 280
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Day 2 complete. Another mess cleaned up. Lights now on independant switches. 5 cables (2 HDMI (it will be interesting to see of these work what with the hassle of getting them run to where the projector will go), 3 cat6) run from hole in ceiling where wood board will attach to the joists, to the screen wall. Still have to put them in the wall and run to the floor. Rear speaker wires run the same but at the hole they veer left to the side wall and then run down the rest of the room to the back wall. One still needs to be run across to the other side of the room. Power wire also run for the outlet in the ceiling. Aside from the large hole where the wood board is going the ceiling has a lot of small holes. Who knows how much the painter/plasterer is going to charge to patch them all. Also holes on the side of the room where we ran speaker wires and put the light switches. Day 3 is Tuesday. I won't be home for that action and it will be interesting to see what gets accomplished.
squigly1 is offline  
Old 07-07-2013, 05:56 PM
Advanced Member
 
DLPProjectorfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 792
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Did you run those cables with fishtape ? or rope ?
Yes those HDMI cables are fragile and I found out the hard way after handling a HDMI cable by twisting and running it where I wanted it to go, soon enough ? it didn't work anymore.
That's why I like the robustness of a DVI cable.
I heard that in some buildings the electricains use something like a bow and arror archbow to run a string or rope to the other side because of the far distance or a tool called a laserline.
DLPProjectorfan is offline  
Old 07-07-2013, 07:04 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
squigly1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Canada
Posts: 280
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The electrician is old school (he's like 80yrs old and worked like crazy) He cut out holes in the ceiling and drilled through the joists every 16 inches or whatever the spacing is. There must be like 12 holes in the ceiling not including the one where the wood to mount the projector is going (that is more like a chunk of the ceiling). He ran the cables by running one through the hole in the joist then taping one to that one and pulling it through and so on until he reached the end. As I said in a previous post there was lots of stuff up there like ducting, water pipes, cross braces, etc so I wasn't easy or pretty. If I had longer cables we could have gone a different way with less holes but it is what it is. I'm using redmere cables so I think there's hope they still work. Worse case, i have the cat 6 I can fall back on . They just need an ethernet to HDMI extender or whatever it's called.
squigly1 is offline  
Old 07-24-2013, 07:37 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
squigly1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Canada
Posts: 280
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ok, time for an update. Plaster and painting (all flat) is done. Black ceiling, black screen wall, and 6ft of black side wall. Rest of the room is a dark gray. It's like a cave down here when most lights are off. With them on it looks good. Love it. Electrician coming back soon to drop the bulbs in place in the pots, put up the trim, and install all dimmers. Going to change out the LED bulbs for halogen. Can't dim the LED lights enough. It's like it only dims to 20% which is still to light. Carpet in a few weeks and then it's time for projector, screen, and AV rack/shelf. Likely something like this beneath the screen, though I haven't seen it to be sure.
squigly1 is offline  
Old 07-25-2013, 11:14 PM
AVS Special Member
 
fierce_gt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 4,727
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 937 Post(s)
Liked: 1021
Quote:
Originally Posted by squigly1 View Post

Ok, time for an update. Plaster and painting (all flat) is done. Black ceiling, black screen wall, and 6ft of black side wall. Rest of the room is a dark gray. It's like a cave down here when most lights are off. With them on it looks good. Love it. Electrician coming back soon to drop the bulbs in place in the pots, put up the trim, and install all dimmers. Going to change out the LED bulbs for halogen. Can't dim the LED lights enough. It's like it only dims to 20% which is still to light. Carpet in a few weeks and then it's time for projector, screen, and AV rack/shelf. Likely something like this beneath the screen, though I haven't seen it to be sure.

definitely check the height of those shelves. i'm betting most a/v gear other than a bd player will be too tall to fit in those spaces.

I am using a tech craft rack. similar idea, but it's a little taller so all my stuff fits. it's a discontinued item, but similar to this one: http://www.techcraft.net/4105/detail.asp?product_id=2516&category_id=278

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One
fierce_gt is online now  
Old 07-26-2013, 05:38 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
squigly1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Canada
Posts: 280
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I need a low height rack as it is going below the screen. Apparently those shelves are adjustable so I should be able to get the receiver in. I also have the centre channel speaker which could be put on top or in the middle and shift the receiver to the right or left side. If anyone has suggestions for some other rack/shelf I'd love some info.
squigly1 is offline  
Old 07-26-2013, 11:52 AM
AVS Special Member
 
fierce_gt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 4,727
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 937 Post(s)
Liked: 1021
i'm using mine for the exact same thing. but I have about 3mm of extra space and mine is about two feet tall. just make sure before you order is all i'm saying. you want a bit of space for cooling around your gear as well. the dimensions on the link you posted are a bit vague, but if it's only 12" tall, I don't see how it could possibly work. and if it's only 12" deep, you may have some stuff hanging out the back. other than that, it should be fine. and i'm quite happy with how mine is working and how it looks with the screen down

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One
fierce_gt is online now  
Old 07-26-2013, 05:52 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
squigly1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Canada
Posts: 280
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The screen will be say 21-22" from the floor with the frame extending down to 16-17" from the floor. So I need a small height bench. Specs for the Ikea bench are 12 5/8 inches high and 15 3/4 inches deep. Receiver is 15" deep and 8" high. BluRay Player is 3" high, 12" deep. For the receiver I would remove one shelf and use one whole area of one section of the shelf. For the centre channel (5.5" high) I'd use the Middle section and adjust the shelf so that the BDP fits beneath the shelf and in the middle. That would leave me one section left for miscellaneous devices. Of course, I need to see and measure this Ikea shelf to be sure. Otherwise on to plan B, whatever that is. Something new to stress about. LOL
squigly1 is offline  
Old 07-29-2013, 07:21 PM
Advanced Member
 
DLPProjectorfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 792
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 34
I know my set up is not a professional build but I have all the electronics, blueray, PS3, reciever behind me behind the couch for easy reach and changing blueray dvds because my setup won't allow for a shelf to be put under the screen.
Due to the hight is the ceilings and a 12 X 8 massive wook beam for the house the screen is only 10 inches from the floor eek.gif
I hate low ceilings when it comes to projectors because you are limited in what you can and can not do.
However it helps build your creative abilities to make things work.
The screen is maybe 4 1/2 from the beam so I have to keep the screen below the beam.
It also causes another problem with the center speaker so what did I do ?
I mounted the center speaker up next to and behind the main beam and pointed it down towards the seating area.
It's not a perfect solution but it works.
I like to keep all the electronics rack or selves close for easy reach.
DLPProjectorfan is offline  
Old 07-30-2013, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member
 
fierce_gt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 4,727
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 937 Post(s)
Liked: 1021
Quote:
Originally Posted by squigly1 View Post

The screen will be say 21-22" from the floor with the frame extending down to 16-17" from the floor. So I need a small height bench. Specs for the Ikea bench are 12 5/8 inches high and 15 3/4 inches deep. Receiver is 15" deep and 8" high. BluRay Player is 3" high, 12" deep. For the receiver I would remove one shelf and use one whole area of one section of the shelf. For the centre channel (5.5" high) I'd use the Middle section and adjust the shelf so that the BDP fits beneath the shelf and in the middle. That would leave me one section left for miscellaneous devices. Of course, I need to see and measure this Ikea shelf to be sure. Otherwise on to plan B, whatever that is. Something new to stress about. LOL

i can almost gaurantee you that if the bench is only 12inches high, there's no way a 8inch tall receiver will fit. don't forget that 12inches includes the thickness of the wood on the shelves and top. you probably have like two 4" tall spaces at best. when it save adjustable, that usually is in a very limited range. of course you could drill your own holes and put the shelf wherever you want i guess, but i'd still look at something with more room personally.

what i did with mine was to make sure the stuff i need line of sight access to(receiver, dvd player, cable box) is on the bottom rack, and the stuff i don't(ps3, xbox, wii) on the top. if that's something you can manage, it'll make shopping a lot easier

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One
fierce_gt is online now  
Old 07-30-2013, 01:21 PM
Advanced Member
 
DLPProjectorfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 792
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Another solution though not a perfect solution is placing the center speaker above the screen from the ceiling and point it down towards the seating area.
If someone could afford it this is a good reason to start fresh from a whole new theater room build where you can build it exactly the way you want it and need it.
DLPProjectorfan is offline  
Old 07-30-2013, 05:33 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
squigly1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Canada
Posts: 280
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'll report back Friday night after I hopefully see this in person. The specs say the bench is 12 5/8" high. Let's say the top and bottom shelf are combined 1". That leave 11 5/8". The middle shelf comes out so for the section getting the receiver I'd have like 3 5/8 clearance. The depth is listed at 15 3/4". The receiver is 15". it could work. We shall see.
squigly1 is offline  
Old 07-30-2013, 11:45 PM
AVS Special Member
 
fierce_gt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 4,727
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 937 Post(s)
Liked: 1021
Quote:
Originally Posted by squigly1 View Post

I'll report back Friday night after I hopefully see this in person. The specs say the bench is 12 5/8" high. Let's say the top and bottom shelf are combined 1". That leave 11 5/8". The middle shelf comes out so for the section getting the receiver I'd have like 3 5/8 clearance. The depth is listed at 15 3/4". The receiver is 15". it could work. We shall see.

yeah, it could work the way you describe. I still think you're overestimating how much height you'll have. I think the top and bottom is more than 1/2" thick, and you also have to account for the height of the feet, but even 1" clearance is extra.

i'd still consider the potential benefits of a taller rack. if you only need 'one row' to place all your important a/v gear, there's no reason you couldn't do that with a taller rack. assuming the bottom shelf starts at the same height for both of course. not saying it's necessarily better, just that it shouldn't be any worse really. gives you a little extra room to add if needed. there's plenty of things that don't require line of sight that would fit there. HTPC's, game consoles, etc. but if you know you're pretty set on components, guess there's really no need for any of that.

good luck, I hope it fits what you need. it's certainly a nice price compared to what else is out there wink.gif

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One
fierce_gt is online now  
Old 07-31-2013, 06:22 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
squigly1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Canada
Posts: 280
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Plan B could be this. http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/20105341/?query=201.053.41 Could put the receiver and center speaker on top and other things on the shelf.
squigly1 is offline  
Old 08-02-2013, 10:28 PM
Member
 
DtommyD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 93
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
A few things I did -
I started out with a pretty crappy, dim projector, so it needed to be 95% dark to be watchable. A room that's 100% dark isn't very practical for anyone with a child or want to do anything else in the room. My solution was to backlight the screen (I have 6" behind the screen). I used Christmas lights because you can't see them and they were there. I also added a string under the couch and table (hidden). It's enough light to function, but not to read a book. They all turn on and off with a remote light thing from target in the christmas isle. can you tell it was christmas during my setup? Consider some downlighting or task lighting because I don't care if your projector is $20,000 it's still going to look terrible and our friends won't like you any more.

If your buying a new projector, buy more lumens than you will use. Running it in "Eco Mode" makes your bulb last 20-40% longer and reduces noise and heat.
DtommyD is offline  
Old 08-03-2013, 06:18 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
squigly1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Canada
Posts: 280
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Looks like plan B (Lack Bench) is now plan A. The Besta bench (original plan A) really has only 10" height of useable space and only 15.5" depth. The receiver is 8" high and I think more breathing room than 2" is advisable. The depth of the receiver is 15.5" so it would just barely fit. The Lack bench is is actaully taller but that inculde the legs which I could just not use. The middle space is 6" high and perfect for BluRay player, STB, Squeezebox Touch, etc. I can put the receiver and centre channel speaker on top. There is also an extra 6" of depth using the Lack Bench. The Lack is also $50 cheaper. I didn't purchase it yet as carpet is still a couple weeks away with screen/projector a few weeks after that. Maybe I'll find something I like better than the Lack Bench in the meantime.
squigly1 is offline  
Old 08-03-2013, 09:18 PM
AVS Special Member
 
fierce_gt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 4,727
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 937 Post(s)
Liked: 1021
Quote:
Originally Posted by DtommyD View Post

A few things I did -
I started out with a pretty crappy, dim projector, so it needed to be 95% dark to be watchable. A room that's 100% dark isn't very practical for anyone with a child or want to do anything else in the room. My solution was to backlight the screen (I have 6" behind the screen). I used Christmas lights because you can't see them and they were there. I also added a string under the couch and table (hidden). It's enough light to function, but not to read a book. They all turn on and off with a remote light thing from target in the christmas isle. can you tell it was christmas during my setup? Consider some downlighting or task lighting because I don't care if your projector is $20,000 it's still going to look terrible and our friends won't like you any more.

what? it's pretty well been proven for front projection less ambient light = better picture.

I get the bias lighting trick behind the screen, but I don't understand why you'd think putting xmas lights under your couch would improve the image? I haven't spent anywhere near 20k on a projector, and I feel it rivals the best plasmas on the market today in many of the important aspects of pq(contrast, blacks, color) when in a completely dark room.

unless, as i'm re-reading your comment, you are thinking dark isn't an option, and he has to choose between having the lights on and have 'xmas' lights only. in which case, we handled that a while ago, and that's why he paid an electrician big bucks to install new lighting with dimmers wink.gif and my apologies for misunderstanding.

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One
fierce_gt is online now  
Old 08-03-2013, 09:23 PM
AVS Special Member
 
fierce_gt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 4,727
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 937 Post(s)
Liked: 1021
Quote:
Originally Posted by squigly1 View Post

Looks like plan B (Lack Bench) is now plan A. The Besta bench (original plan A) really has only 10" height of useable space and only 15.5" depth. The receiver is 8" high and I think more breathing room than 2" is advisable. The depth of the receiver is 15.5" so it would just barely fit. The Lack bench is is actaully taller but that inculde the legs which I could just not use. The middle space is 6" high and perfect for BluRay player, STB, Squeezebox Touch, etc. I can put the receiver and centre channel speaker on top. There is also an extra 6" of depth using the Lack Bench. The Lack is also $50 cheaper. I didn't purchase it yet as carpet is still a couple weeks away with screen/projector a few weeks after that. Maybe I'll find something I like better than the Lack Bench in the meantime.

if you were to pay a carpenter to custom build you exactly what you want. what would you ask for?

trying to figure out if these ikea options are what you really want, or just what you've found available that 'could' work.

I also find it kind of interesting, but you picked out the exact same two racks from ikea I did when I was shopping for a tv stand for my bedroom. I opted against both as I had the opposite concern. I wanted to make sure they were tall enough that I had line of sight to my receiver and cable box over the edge of my bed

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One
fierce_gt is online now  
Old 08-04-2013, 01:30 AM
Member
 
DtommyD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 93
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Yeah. I was talking about the "dome" lights. Dome sounds omnidirectional to me even if its dimmed. Sorry about the confusion.

If your buying a new projector, buy more lumens than you will use. Running it in "Eco Mode" makes your bulb last 20-40% longer and reduces noise and heat.
DtommyD is offline  
Old 08-04-2013, 05:54 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
squigly1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Canada
Posts: 280
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_gt View Post

if you were to pay a carpenter to custom build you exactly what you want. what would you ask for?

trying to figure out if these ikea options are what you really want, or just what you've found available that 'could' work.

I also find it kind of interesting, but you picked out the exact same two racks from ikea I did when I was shopping for a tv stand for my bedroom. I opted against both as I had the opposite concern. I wanted to make sure they were tall enough that I had line of sight to my receiver and cable box over the edge of my bed

The Ikea options are what I've found, so far, that would work. I've thought custom built but not sure if it would make a difference as the issue you brought up, line of site, plays a part. Though I guess I would have it so the shelf below the top was more than 6" high. With the Lack bench I could put the receiver and STB on top, centre channel speaker as well. The receiver is 8" high so I think anything I get should be no more than 13" high as the screen will be at 22". I can always put the STB on something so that it sits closer to the screen for better LOS. It would have been nice to have had a larger budget so i could have ripped the room completely apart and start a new but in the end I have to make do with what I have.

On a positive note, since lighting and paint my old RPTV has never looked so good what with that end of the room being dark.
squigly1 is offline  
Old 08-14-2013, 10:48 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
squigly1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Canada
Posts: 280
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
For those keeping score, the carpet is in. Woo Hoo!!!! Black to greyish depending on which way the vacuum rolls.
squigly1 is offline  
Old 08-15-2013, 11:59 PM
AVS Special Member
 
fierce_gt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 4,727
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 937 Post(s)
Liked: 1021
Quote:
Originally Posted by squigly1 View Post

The Ikea options are what I've found, so far, that would work. I've thought custom built but not sure if it would make a difference as the issue you brought up, line of site, plays a part. Though I guess I would have it so the shelf below the top was more than 6" high. With the Lack bench I could put the receiver and STB on top, centre channel speaker as well. The receiver is 8" high so I think anything I get should be no more than 13" high as the screen will be at 22". I can always put the STB on something so that it sits closer to the screen for better LOS. It would have been nice to have had a larger budget so i could have ripped the room completely apart and start a new but in the end I have to make do with what I have.

On a positive note, since lighting and paint my old RPTV has never looked so good what with that end of the room being dark.

i only asked to try to get a better idea of what the 'perfect' product would be for you. chances are they won't have one mass produced, but at least if i see something close i'll know.

ps, post up some updated pics biggrin.gif

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One
fierce_gt is online now  
Old 08-16-2013, 07:58 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
squigly1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Canada
Posts: 280
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Some pics. Crappy iPhone. Pics taken from like 17ft from screen wall or 14.5ft from TV Screen.

All lights on


Back 4 lights on


Back 4 lights on + TV


No lights on + TV


Some lights showing side wall colour difference
squigly1 is offline  
Old 08-16-2013, 09:41 PM
Advanced Member
 
DLPProjectorfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 792
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 34
How did that projector mount work out for you ?
Did the electrician hammer in a peice of wood for you between the floor joist ?
How does it look ?
DLPProjectorfan is offline  
 

Tags
Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 720 3lcd Home Theater Projector , Sharp 70 Inch Full Hd Aquos 3d Led Smart Tv , Samsung 65 Inch 3d Led Hdtv Un65d8000
Thread Tools


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off