Would a projector work for me - Page 8 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #211 of 219 Old 08-17-2013, 05:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Nothing mounted yet. There is an outlet up against a joist at 12'. An inch from the outlet there is like a 12" wide, 16" long piece of wood going to 10'6" to the screen wall. 6" into the width is about centere room. The piece of plaster that was cut out was put back in and patched. You can't really tell that there was a hole there. Still a few weeks away from mount, projector, and screen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 219 Old 08-30-2013, 10:43 AM - Thread Starter

Update time: Decided on an Epson 6020UB rather than the Benq W1070. I have it in house but the screen won't be delivered until Tuesday. It wouldn't fit in my car (stupid car with no folding rear seat). Install should be Thursday. While I could set up the Epson on a table for now the big old RPTV is in the way of me putting up a sheet and trying it out so I'll wait. I could technically mount the projector but that is waiting until Thursday as well. I have someone coming over to assist with it all. The wait and anticipation is killing me. I did test the projector to make sure the HDMI cables we ran worked and they both do.

I have the painters back to touch up the paint that the carpet layers messed up. Also painting another 4ft or so of side wall black.
post #213 of 219 Old 09-01-2013, 04:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I would be a good idea to get a HDMI port saves for the HDMI ports you have on the projector.
Yes, not as necessary if the projector is set up and left alone, but those HDMI ports get worn out from constant plugging and unplugging.
2 things happen if it's constant plugging and unplugging.
One the port it's self wears and the pins get worn.
They do sell HDMI port savers for that purpose or you can get a few HDMI cables that are male on one end and female on the other.
The HDMI port savers are short though.
That's why I loved DVI because it's more robust.
Eventually one day they plan to have everything to run through HDMI including the internet.
post #214 of 219 Old 09-01-2013, 05:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLPProjectorfan View Post

I would be a good idea to get a HDMI port saves for the HDMI ports you have on the projector.
Yes, not as necessary if the projector is set up and left alone, but those HDMI ports get worn out from constant plugging and unplugging.
2 things happen if it's constant plugging and unplugging.
One the port it's self wears and the pins get worn.
They do sell HDMI port savers for that purpose or you can get a few HDMI cables that are male on one end and female on the other.
The HDMI port savers are short though.
That's why I loved DVI because it's more robust.
Eventually one day they plan to have everything to run through HDMI including the internet.

Are you referring to something like this: http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10419&cs_id=1041913&p_id=2891&seq=1&format=2
post #215 of 219 Old 09-01-2013, 06:50 PM

Liked: 13
Yeah good call. I'm switching stuff around all the time. I have a couple 2 foot versions for in back of my cable box and Apple TV. Wear and tear and its hard to see too.

If your buying a new projector, buy more lumens than you will use. Running it in "Eco Mode" makes your bulb last 20-40% longer and reduces noise and heat.
post #216 of 219 Old 09-01-2013, 08:39 PM
Advanced Member

Yes, it would be a good idea to get a few of them to protect your HDMI ports on your projector from wearing out or damaged.
Just tape with electrical tape to the mount or other cables near it or use wire ties.
At lease with wire ties you won't get the tape's sticky stuff on the cable but don't make it to tight.
post #217 of 219 Old 09-06-2013, 04:48 PM - Thread Starter

Projector is mounted and screen is on the wall. Missed something when assembling the screen so it needs to come down tomorrow for an adjustment and then back up. Watched the football game last night and it was awesome. Haven't tweaked, calibrated, or changed many settings yet. Still need to check out 3D and BR. It certainly does light up the ceiling. Here is a pic from the game (excuse the crappy iphone pic):

Gotta get rid of the orange blinds
post #218 of 219 Old 09-07-2013, 08:25 PM
Advanced Member

So how did the whole ceiling situation finally turn out ?

No trace of a hole ever been there ?

Projector mounted nice and solid onto the floor joists ?

HDMI port savers ? or male to female or female to male HDMI cables ?
post #219 of 219 Old 09-07-2013, 10:02 PM - Thread Starter

Ceiling turned out fine. I don't think you can tell but maybe, if you look real, real close you may be able to tell something went on up there. Projector flush mounted thru the plaster and into the 1/2" peice of wood. It isn't going anywhere. Port savers on order though with the current setup I think I need them more in the receiver than into the projector. One blind at least needs to be replaced. It's orange and lights up too much. Need to find the right black out blind. Might give this a try.

The Ikea Lack bench is perfect for beneath the screen. The equpiment fits nicely though it does light in up bright scens. I can live with it. It would have been nicer to have the equipment at the back of room, build into the side wall, or even in a different room but budget didn't allow for it.

Getting a black projector was key. While it's in the periphery when sitting behind it it doesn't stand out like a white or other light colour would have.

All in all, it was a long 10 weeks but the wait was worth it.

Looking forward to Sunday Ticket NFL action. None of my buddies have seen the new room and setup. One doesn't even know I've made changes. I kept it quiet and hung out at his place over the summer rather than have him over to mine.

Thanks to all for the help, assistance, encouragement, etc.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 720 3lcd Home Theater Projector , Sharp 70 Inch Full Hd Aquos 3d Led Smart Tv , Samsung 65 Inch 3d Led Hdtv Un65d8000
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page