Home Theater ROOKIE - Help - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 05-27-2013, 08:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Here is my story. We finally cleaned out the kids playroom and want to transform to theater room. Room is not big, 16' x 11'2". Ceiling is 9'. Room has no windows and is literally black when lights are off. We are painting walls/ceiling a darker red color. Have room for a sectional couch and will add some bean bags for kids.

We are on a tight budget. Not trying to win any awards, just want a nice big screen with a good picture and sound system for movie watching and sports. Kids will probably play xbox, stream movies, etc.

Screen Size - 92" Diag. 16:9 (80" x 45")
Couch will be approx. 13-14' at the farthest point and approx. 10' at the closest point of the sectional.

Questions: Projector - knowing I'm on a budget, is 720p the way to go or should i look for a used/refurb 1080?
Receiver: Again, budget conscious.
Sound: 5.1 speakers set or with this size of room, just a surround soundbar. found some good bose deals on ebay and craigslist. (likely not going to be able to get in-wall speakers)

Any other "must haves" for the novice that I am not considering (i.e. acoustic panels, Home Theater PC - which I have no clue what this would do).

I plan on buying all of the things needed then hiring someone to help install and set-up to save $. Any input and advice would be appreciated! Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2013, 12:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 39
I would try to at least get a 1080p pj. The difference is quite noticeable. You can get a nice one in the $8-$900 range, Viewsonic Pro8200, and the better, 3d/dlp Benq 1070. These have some placement limitations, so you'll have to check some projector calculators to determine if they will work in your room setup. The lcd, 2d only Epson 8350 is in that range as well, but I'd only recommend it if you are concerned with RBE (rainbows), or need the added placement flexibility the lens shift provides. Some info on pj's in different price ranges you can look through. http://www.avsforum.com/t/1391476/coderguys-top-projector-picks

The diy screen section can help you save some dollars, and there are some real nice setups there, http://www.avsforum.com/f/110/diy-screen-section otherwise expect to spend about $250 ish for a fixed screen.

http://www.avsforum.com/f/109/home-theater-in-a-box might be ok, or possibly a soundbar. You can always upgrade the sound system later when the funds become available. One problem with HTIB setups, some may have proprietary connections and might have a player built in with the receiver, if one breaks you have to replace both. Looks like a pretty decent speaker setup that is inexpensive here, $299, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882269024 and if you can find an inexpensive player and receiver that might work. Ask friends if they have any old components they might give away, or sell cheap as well.

Setup isn't very hard, just need a second set of hands for some measurements and positioning/attaching the mount and screen. The peerless mounts seem to be pretty good, but again, you can save some cash by looking at some diy options. I seen someone use a satellite dish mount as an example, or just a shelf mounted on the wall. Google diy projector mount images, get inspired. Don't scrimp on the cabling, You don't have to buy the ultra pricey Monster cables, but look at the distance of the cable run, and if it's over say, 15', I'd stick with some 24 awg cables from monoprice, or bluejeans cable.

Your in the right place, do a little research on the forum here, and make some informed decisions.
Old 05-28-2013, 08:12 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your reply. Do you have any input regarding which wall to utilize for the screen? My concern is that based upon the small space, a full size sectional will fit perfectly on the large open wall (pic 1) and we would face the door which is where the screen could go. This would make best use of the seating as the long part of the sectional would face the screen. If we flipped it and put the screen on the large wall opposite the door, only problem is that then the sectional would have to have the short end facing the screen and the long end down the side. My main issue is related to the screen being right next to the door and whether or not that would create a distraction.

I am sure I could watch some DIY videos on fishing cables, my only concern is hanging the projector properly and the appropriate distance from the screen. I don't have a lot of faith in my handyman abilities, but with a budget I may just need to watch, read and learn.

Old 05-28-2013, 08:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 926 Post(s)
Liked: 1011
if they still make good 720p projectors, i'd consider it. but from what i've seen, that resolution has been relegated to poor performers now.

i have 720p projector right now, used to be on a 120" screen but i downsized to 100" and i have to say on both sizes from 15feet back resolution was not an issue for me.

my advice would be to spend a bit more on the projector, and start off with the cheapest screen you can muster. whether that's DIY, or buying off amazon or something. a good screen makes a big difference, but it's a much easier upgrade later on, and you can get away with 100bux 'for now' with the screen. a 'throw away' projector is still going to cost you 500bux now, so in the long run you spend less upgrading the screen later than upgrading the projector later.

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One
Old 05-28-2013, 03:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 39
I'd try to put it on the big wall myself, but as you say, the seatin won't be ideal, but it looks like it would offer the possibility of a larger screen? Different throw distances, with different screen sizes, can effect your choice of pj's, due to some limitations they may have with their placement requirements.
Old 05-28-2013, 03:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked: 380
Under no circumstances would I put the screen on the door wall.

Your screen size with a 10-15' viewing distance would typically be between 100" and 140" diagonal. 92" is nice, but not very large, which is a very poor decision IMO - especially if you want to create a cinematic experience.

You don't have any room for speakers with a screen in the corner like that. It throws everything off.

Turn it around, and the screen can be on center, speakers can be properly placed left/right/center of screen.

If you are not self installing, then I assume you won't be building a screen yourself. There are great prices online for 'cheap', but decent enough screens, such as these...
http://www.simplylowprice.com/SearchResults.asp?searching=Y&sort=5&cat=267&f-16:9 Widescreen=9&f-Fixed Frame Screen=40&show=40&page=1&f-Black Velvet=105

$300 to $400 for a pre-fab screen which is pretty easy to build/hang yourself.

I think all of this comes down to your budget at some level. Obviously you want to paint - walls and ceiling must be painted dark. Don't forget the ceiling! You may want to add some sort of rug at some point to cover the light color for best results. And unscrew the lights near the screen and install a cheap dimmer so that lights at the back of the room can be on, but dimmed, so people can move about while watching 'the game'.

For sound, there are a ton of inexpensive options out there which can get you going. Onkyo offers some decent home theater in a box kits which can be similarly matched for around/under $500. Not earth shaking stuff here, but good quality at a reasonable price with 3D support.

For a projector itself, I would definitely plan about $1,000 for that if at all possible and get a new model like the BenQ W1070 or Optoma HD25. Both are under $1,000 and both will have a new lamp, new warranty, and offer 3D support which is good.

No in-wall cabling means that you are going to see all the wiring. If you want to go in-wall by paying someone, then you can expect that to be a couple thousand dollars of installation work by anyone who is part of a qualified professional company. Generally 2 guys at least 20 hours on that level of in-wall retro-fit wiring. Just something to keep in mind for the future I would expect.

This can all be done, by yourself, or with just a few hours of qualified help on certain items, for under $2,000 total.

W1070 - $1,000
Projector Mount - $50
Cables - $150
Receiver - $240 - Onkyo Refurb - http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/ONKTXNR515/Onkyo-TX-NR515-7.2-Channel-Network-A/V-Receiver/1.html
Screen - $420 shipped
Speakers - $100 - http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=109&cp_id=10906&cs_id=1090601&p_id=8247&seq=1&format=1#largeimage

That's $1,960 for everything and that's really light on the audio quality side, but certainly acceptable at lower volumes for what you are getting.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
Old 05-28-2013, 04:32 PM

I too took a small room in a house my wife and I bought within the last year and turned it into my Man Cave / theater room. Here's my original post for reference: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1445952/new-to-the-forum-looking-for-some-input-advice

I ended up buying a new Viewsonic Pro8200 off Newegg.com for $650 right before Xmas (was a killer deal, but I think you can still find them for about $700 ish)
Built my own screen following one of the tutorials found on this site under the DIY section, using black out cloth (BOC) for about $75 - Turned out great BTW
I already had a Sony 5.1 surround system from my previous Man Cave setup.

If you are indeed really on a budget right now, lets just say $1,500; then I'd recommend buying the best projector you can, build your own screen and settle for a home theater in a box setup for now. DEFINITELY get 1080p. At the size screen your talking about, the extra pixels will make a difference. I personally would stay away from a sound bar setup for a theater room (mind you I have one downstairs in my living room and its great) simply because its a damn theater room! I mean c'mon "synthesized" surround sound just doesn't cut it in my book when you've gone the extra mile to secure a large projector screen and a fully blacked out room.

I see no issue with being able to get a small surround new or used, a PJ, and build a screen for right around $1,500 which is cheap! Then later, just upgrade the surround sound when finances allow.

Good luck!
Old 05-28-2013, 09:18 PM
AVS Special Member

you can even start with a painted screen for now if you want to spend a couple hundred more on speakers. and you'd be surprised how much cabling you can hide behind baseboards.

i would also agree with the recommendations to put the screen in the middle of the large wall. extra size would be appreciated, but you simply can't do much with the rest of the theatre(audio, etc) with the screen tucked off to the side like it would be on the other wall.

Old 05-29-2013, 04:58 AM - Thread Starter

Any thought as to how big of a screen i should get for the larger wall?
Old 05-29-2013, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member

10' viewing distance, i'd say 100-108" would be good.

at your further 14', you could go larger(120ish) if you want.

it depends a bit on your preference as well. I started with a 120" screen at about 15' viewing distance but I found myself needed to scan horizontally and viewing was tiring. I wanted to go down to about 110" but settled on a 100"(due to room constraints when I flipped the room) and find viewing much easier. the larger screens really immerse you though, get your peripheral vision involved. and most ppl enjoy that(think imax vs normal movie theatre). when I go to the theatres, I always try to sit at the back

Old 05-29-2013, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirrors View Post

Any thought as to how big of a screen i should get for the larger wall?

I would just get a nice PJ (good recommendations above already) and project onto your bare wall from a coffee table for a few movies. That way you can play with different image sizes to see what you like by moving the table forward or back (and or zooming the PJ). When you pick a size you like, then buy the screen and ceiling mount the PJ. I know screens make for a nicer image, but I've been projecting onto a bare wall for years and am satisfied with the image quality... I'd probably feel differently about this if I owned my home, but this works for a (small) apartment where I'm not sure how long I'll be there so I don't want to invest in something that I can't easily move to a new space.
Old 05-29-2013, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsherpa View Post

I would just get a nice PJ (good recommendations above already) and project onto your bare wall from a coffee table for a few movies. That way you can play with different image sizes to see what you like by moving the table forward or back (and or zooming the PJ). When you pick a size you like, then buy the screen and ceiling mount the PJ. I know screens make for a nicer image, but I've been projecting onto a bare wall for years and am satisfied with the image quality... I'd probably feel differently about this if I owned my home, but this works for a (small) apartment where I'm not sure how long I'll be there so I don't want to invest in something that I can't easily move to a new space.

I agree with this recommendation. I projected onto a wall for a good couple of weeks, tweaking it to different sizes as I went to determine the best size. Ultimately I went with an 88" screen (actual white screen size, with frame its bigger) due to the fact that my room has a wall that juts out along with me having an entertainment center below I wanted to utilize so any bigger and I'd be going onto the ceiling. I will tell you that sitting roughly 10' away as well, 88" is PLENTY big. At first it was almost overwhelming, then you get used to it. Now six or so months later, I haven't even thought about ever wanting to try to go bigger.

Just my .02

Tags
Viewsonic Pro8200 Dlp Projector , Benq W1070 3d Ready Dlp Projector 1080p Hdtv