BBQ, sun tanning and watching my LT 150Z - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 06-14-2002, 07:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
All in Seattle!!

No way you say? I mean how can one get a sun tan in Seattle anyway? But the real question you should asking yourself is "How can one BBQ, sun tan AND watch movies all at the same time?"

Here is the skinny on it all. I made my 100" Poly-wall screen and masked half of my Apt in black velvet. Kind of scary a manly-man like myself coming out of Joan's Fabric store with that much foofy material. I mean I had an urge to by a piano and silver candle holder to place it on, and make a black robe out of the velvet. But I managed to suppress my Liberotchy (sp?) fantasy.

Anyway, my Apt is long and narrow, with a balcony on the West side. As I look into my Apt from the balcony I can see my screen when the light is just right. And the day has finally came to see it all work since I just got my LT 150Z!. But today is different since it is VERY bight out, and if I look into my apt, I can not see anything at all because of the contrast of the brightness of the day light and my all black walls. What a time to get the projector, I should have waited till winter when it gets dark early.:mad:

As I was BBQ outside, I was reading the owners manual and playing with the built in laser on the remote. I got board and pointed inside on the black velvet, and sure enough I had to squint real hard to see any red dot. As I was doing that I happened to pass the beam over where I thought the screen was located at and I almost dropped my beer! Suddenly I say this very bright red dot just glowing in front of me from out of the black. Well, I thought, daylight or not, I am going to fire up the unit and see if I can watch a movie from outside in the sun while BBQ. And you know what? It was very much watchable indeed! Since no sunlight actually was passing through my patio doors, because the overhanging roof shaded that part of the balcony.

Funny thing here was, as it started to get dark outside, I stated to see the interior of my apartment more and more, since now it was much brighter inside than outside. And the light from the screen started to reflect of off everything inside.

Final thing here, I laugh so much now when I read about the post on rainbows. It must be from projector companies that only sell LCD units and making a big deal of it all. DO NOT sell yourself short on a DLP until YOU YOURSELF see one in action. This board has way to much hype going on about the rainbow effect. When I first got a demo on the LT 150, the person was showing me THE FIFTH ELEMENT of the scene where that lady alien is singing at the opera. I was told that there was a rainbow somewhere in this scene. Now not even knowing what he really meant by that (since no one told me about rainbows) I moved my head back and forth across the screen to see if I could find it. And guess what? I did!

And you can too! Even if you have a LCD or CRT set up. Just look to the right of her when they show the second camera shoot from behind her. It is just above waist high, and drifts to the right, over the lower setting area of the opera house. But guess what? This how ever is NOT a rainbow caused by the LCD, it is either from the camera lens or possible light that has been diffracted off of a crystal chandelier. And THAT was the only rainbow that I saw.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 06-14-2002, 11:14 AM

BBQ'in', beer drinkin', sun tannin' and pj watchin' all at once.... Is that a Grand Slam? Triple Double? Ace? Hat Trick? :D

Glad you're enjoying the 'Z!

Also agree totally with your statement that the rainbow thing is over blown on this forum. I don't see them, don't try to see them and certainly don't tell my family and friends that we have over for movies about them! And no one has vomited on the floor or yelled out "Hey did you see that!?" I'm certain that many people have a problem by seeing rainbows and I feel sorry for them because the DLP image, IMHO, is very very good.

A computer will get you into trouble faster than anything in the world with the possible exception of tequila and handguns
post #3 of 4 Old 06-16-2002, 01:01 PM - Thread Starter

I was going to cancel my cable once I got my big screen up, since I knew regular TV would look like crap. And I only watch TV from my HDTV Hipix card. But it is amazing when you are about 23 feet away from a 100" 16x9 screen and then watch cable. It is at that distance the image looks great! At only 2 x the distance it is blurred, past 3 x distance and you got something that blows away any big screen that you see at a sports bar.
post #4 of 4 Old 06-16-2002, 01:06 PM - Thread Starter

Funny thig you should say HAT TRICK there Dubya, because that was what I was watching at the time. The Stanley Cup finals!

This time I SHOOOT.... I SCOOOOORE!!!!!!!
Closed Thread Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page