Trying to decide: BenQw7000, epson 5020, panny 7000 or 8000 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 28 Old 05-29-2013, 12:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
So trying to decide on a new projector. I like the sony hw50es but it is out of my price range. The 5010 epson, I heard that the 3D wasn't good on the "10" generation epsons.

The 5020 can found for around 2500, the panny is around the same but the Benq w7000 can now be found for 1500 and a difference of 1000 dollars is a pretty big deal to me. I would also consider the sharp XV-Z17000 but I think reviewers have said that it's a bit dim especially for 3D which is important to me.

If I remember right the lag time for these 3 projectors are pretty similar, but I'm not a competitive gamer and I have a monitor for gaming.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 05-29-2013, 07:23 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyen78 View Post

So trying to decide on a new projector. I like the sony hw50es but it is out of my price range. The 5010 epson, I heard that the 3D wasn't good on the "10" generation epsons.

The 5020 can found for around 2500, the panny is around the same but the Benq w7000 can now be found for 1500 and a difference of 1000 dollars is a pretty big deal to me. I would also consider the sharp XV-Z17000 but I think reviewers have said that it's a bit dim especially for 3D which is important to me.

If I remember right the lag time for these 3 projectors are pretty similar, but I'm not a competitive gamer and I have a monitor for gaming.

how about a refurbed epson 5010 for $1700?
post #3 of 28 Old 05-29-2013, 07:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 143
I never saw the 3D on the 5020 for very long at all, but the 3D on the 5010 is not bad at all. It's not as clean as a DLP, but it certainly beats down my JVC RS-45 with ease. I am not sure the 3D is really that much better on the 5020, is it?

FYI, you can get a JVC HD-250 B-Stock from Mike@avscience.com and then buy a DLP for 3D like the Optoma hd25 or Benq w1070 and go with a 2 projector setup to get the best of both worlds...

Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

post #4 of 28 Old 05-30-2013, 07:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 50
So glad you made this thread, I'm thinking about the same exact projectors with the 1070 in the mix just because from what I read, there's really no huge PQ difference in bw the 1070 and 7000. My main priority is 3D with blacks as a close second. I'll be projecting on a 110" screen.

post #5 of 28 Old 05-30-2013, 01:08 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestions coderguy. I will have to take a look at the epsom 5010, especially if I can get it for 1700.

I have never seen the sharp xvc-30000, but if I can find a refurb like the woot deals, then that is one I would also consider. Has lens shift, lens memory for CIH, dlp for 3D. So I think the benq w7000, epson 5010-refurb, sharp xv-z30000 -woot/refurb. Should all be around 1500-1700.

CheYC-

I have also been reading up on the 1070. Seems like a nice unit. From what I've read it's pretty similar to the 7000 but no horizontal shift, no dynamic iris, less zoom. So mainly positioning is more difficult, can't get as big a screen from the same distance, and I'd guess that the dynamic iris helps with shadow detail and black level.

On the cheap end we have the 1070-dlp 3d, no cih, few placement options -
benq 7000- dc2 chip instead of the dc3, no cih, more placement options, dynamic iris, good color
epson 5010 - lcd 3 panel, no cih, even more placement options (to the point where you can almost put this anywhere in the room), better blacks than either benq, maybe a bit more crosstalk in 3D, has a 2d-3d converter (I like this for certain things even though most people I know don't like it)

Panasonic 7k- similar to epson, I don't think it's as bright or the blacks are as dark. Epson beat out the panny in projector central shootout. But, this does have CIH, a ton of placement options, smooth image but not as sharp as benq or epson.

I need to find a store to demo the sharp. If you want good 3D and CIH it seems that this and the panny might be the best options. The Sharp is probably dimmer in 3D and judging from reviews, it's not quite as accurate for color as other projectors in its price point.

Sigh----it's all about compromises huh?

If you can fit the projector into the room without much trouble and don't care about CIH at all, I think the 1070 might be the best value at 1k, but I'm pretty sure the black levels of the epson are a lot better if you can get a refurb for a good deal (and think that the difference is worth 700 bucks).

post #6 of 28 Old 05-30-2013, 06:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 269
Quote:

I have never seen the sharp xvc-30000, but if I can find a refurb like the woot deals, then that is one I would also consider. Has lens shift, lens memory for CIH, dlp for 3D. So I think the benq w7000, epson 5010-refurb, sharp xv-z30000 -woot/refurb. Should all be around 1500-1700.

The Sharp 30k deal from woot was a brand new projector for $1799.

if you were considering spending the $$ on the Panasonic 8000 or Epson 5020, why not consider the JVC RS46? it's the same price and offers best in class 2D performance, full lens shift / zoom, etc. They improved the 3D quite a bit this year vs. the previous models.

The 8000 looks better on paper than it does in person, especially compared to the RS46.
post #7 of 28 Old 05-30-2013, 06:46 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:

I have also been reading up on the 1070. Seems like a nice unit. From what I've read it's pretty similar to the 7000 but no horizontal shift, no dynamic iris, less zoom. So mainly positioning is more difficult, can't get as big a screen from the same distance, and I'd guess that the dynamic iris helps with shadow detail and black level.

Unless I am misinterpreting the projector calculator on projector central, the 1070 produces a larger picture than the 7000 for the same distance from the screen. Am I wrong about this?
post #8 of 28 Old 05-30-2013, 09:55 PM - Thread Starter

you are correct. I was only thinking about the zoom range.

zombie-
About the JVC, I really cannot handle any crosstalk or ghosting, I feel cross eyed and I get a headache very quickly. I'm also not super critical about every last detail, just want a decent big screen experience and upgrade from my optoma gt750 which has some power issues (it keeps turning back on unless I pull the plug).

I would look into the epson 5010 at 1700 bucks but I'd like to stay under 2k, the only reason the panny gets any consideration whatsoever is it seems to do okay at a lot of things even if it doesn't really excel at anything, and it has CIH. I'm guessing the 3D would be better than the JVC and the lag time as well. If these options weren't available at around 1500, I would've already bought into the 1070.

post #9 of 28 Old 05-31-2013, 04:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks for the suggestions coderguy. I will have to take a look at the epsom 5010, especially if I can get it for 1700.

CheYC-

On the cheap end we have the 1070-dlp 3d, no cih, few placement options -
benq 7000- dc2 chip instead of the dc3, no cih, more placement options, dynamic iris, good color
epson 5010 - lcd 3 panel, no cih, even more placement options (to the point where you can almost put this anywhere in the room), better blacks than either benq, maybe a bit more crosstalk in 3D, has a 2d-3d converter (I like this for certain things even though most people I know don't like it)

Panasonic 7k- similar to epson, I don't think it's as bright or the blacks are as dark. Epson beat out the panny in projector central shootout. But, this does have CIH, a ton of placement options, smooth image but not as sharp as benq or epson.

I need to find a store to demo the sharp. If you want good 3D and CIH it seems that this and the panny might be the best options. The Sharp is probably dimmer in 3D and judging from reviews, it's not quite as accurate for color as other projectors in its price point.

Sigh----it's all about compromises huh?

If you can fit the projector into the room without much trouble and don't care about CIH at all, I think the 1070 might be the best value at 1k, but I'm pretty sure the black levels of the epson are a lot better if you can get a refurb for a good deal (and think that the difference is worth 700 bucks).

Hey Philly Brethren. The only reason I've thought about the Panny is b/c I've toyed with the idea of CIH.. This setup will be almost exclusively for movies, but there will be some sports and gaming, so I'm tossing the idea around. If I end up going that route I'll probably get the Panny. I can also get a larger screen if I go CIH since I'm a bit limited in height in my basement (110" screen max for 16:9).

Other than that I think I might go with the w7000 because I want the better 3D, and from what I've read, sharper image, over the slightly better blacks the Epson might give.

Now to decide 16:9 or CIH....

post #10 of 28 Old 05-31-2013, 02:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheYC View Post

Hey Philly Brethren. The only reason I've thought about the Panny is b/c I've toyed with the idea of CIH.. This setup will be almost exclusively for movies, but there will be some sports and gaming, so I'm tossing the idea around. If I end up going that route I'll probably get the Panny. I can also get a larger screen if I go CIH since I'm a bit limited in height in my basement (110" screen max for 16:9).

Other than that I think I might go with the w7000 because I want the better 3D, and from what I've read, sharper image, over the slightly better blacks the Epson might give.

Now to decide 16:9 or CIH....

Yo! It's weird but we are pretty much thinking about the same things, same compromises etc. I keep going back and forth on CIH. On one hand, entering a room and seeing a 2.35 screen on a wall would be pretty awesome. on the other hand, as I was mentioning to someone else in a different post, I really like the Nolan Batman Trilogy and he uses variable aspect ratio. I think he overdid it with the 3rd movie, but I like the effect in the second batman movie and second transformers movie.

So if I wanted CIH and wanted to see these movies with the variable aspect ratio, I would need 2 screens, one of 16:9 and one for 2.35. And the money for that second screen could be used for a lot of other things like the HSU sub I've been looking at, a better projector, one good screen instead of 2 budget screens.

I'm looking to buy a new house soon...first home YAY. Probably in Manayunk or Rox (most likely rox, you get more for your dollar there and places are kept up a bit better). So I should really wait on the projector until I see the space it is going into.

I currently have a optoma gt750 and have gotten used to ghost free, cross talk free 3D on a light canon. Mid dark scenes are fine a little dim, but it's the outdoor sunny scenes in 3D that take a real beating in quality.

The sharp I mentioned above has motorized lens and you can do CIH with that projector too. It's dlp but the 3D might be dimmer, I need to see one in person to decide if I can deal with the 3D brightness and color inaccuracy. If I can, and if I can find this on woot or a good sale, I might go for this one.

BTW people say that the panny is a PITA to try to calibrate.

Are you thinking about going with the w7000 over the 1070? Some people like the blacks with the dynamic iris, some people hate the iris and the noise it makes. I'm not sure which I prefer, but I do know I prefer having 500 bucks in my pocket rather than not having it. I need to get my butt to hifi house to check out what they hve setup for comparison shopping, I also wanted to check out their paradigm and totem speakers.

post #11 of 28 Old 05-31-2013, 04:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Yo! It's weird but we are pretty much thinking about the same things, same compromises etc. I keep going back and forth on CIH. On one hand, entering a room and seeing a 2.35 screen on a wall would be pretty awesome. on the other hand, as I was mentioning to someone else in a different post, I really like the Nolan Batman Trilogy and he uses variable aspect ratio. I think he overdid it with the 3rd movie, but I like the effect in the second batman movie and second transformers movie.

So if I wanted CIH and wanted to see these movies with the variable aspect ratio, I would need 2 screens, one of 16:9 and one for 2.35. And the money for that second screen could be used for a lot of other things like the HSU sub I've been looking at, a better projector, one good screen instead of 2 budget screens.

I'm looking to buy a new house soon...first home YAY. Probably in Manayunk or Rox (most likely rox, you get more for your dollar there and places are kept up a bit better). So I should really wait on the projector until I see the space it is going into.

I currently have a optoma gt750 and have gotten used to ghost free, cross talk free 3D on a light canon. Mid dark scenes are fine a little dim, but it's the outdoor sunny scenes in 3D that take a real beating in quality.

The sharp I mentioned above has motorized lens and you can do CIH with that projector too. It's dlp but the 3D might be dimmer, I need to see one in person to decide if I can deal with the 3D brightness and color inaccuracy. If I can, and if I can find this on woot or a good sale, I might go for this one.

BTW people say that the panny is a PITA to try to calibrate.

Are you thinking about going with the w7000 over the 1070? Some people like the blacks with the dynamic iris, some people hate the iris and the noise it makes. I'm not sure which I prefer, but I do know I prefer having 500 bucks in my pocket rather than not having it. I need to get my butt to hifi house to check out what they hve setup for comparison shopping, I also wanted to check out their paradigm and totem speakers.

Yeah I think I'm gonna go 16:9 b/c of the overall "immersiveness" you'll get from films like batman and avatar etc. I'm pretty sure I'm going with the w7000 at this point for the FI, dynamic iris, and better placement options. Unfortunately, gotta finish the basement first, in the process of getting some quotes from local contractors.

I lived in Rox for a year, but just recently moved to Harleysville in the burbs since it's close to work and I wanted a good sized yard for bbqs and stuff. I do miss being really close to center city though.

post #12 of 28 Old 05-31-2013, 09:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheYC View Post

So glad you made this thread, I'm thinking about the same exact projectors with the 1070 in the mix just because from what I read, there's really no huge PQ difference in bw the 1070 and 7000. My main priority is 3D with blacks as a close second. I'll be projecting on a 110" screen.

Very little difference, but I actually think the 1070 is slightly better (believe it or not). The w1070 has no IRIS yet still matches the blacks of the w7000's default IRIS settings. That said, the w7000 won't need an ND filter like the w1070 does (because the w7000 IRIS can be used like a manual aperture to close down on the brightness). If you aren't going to be calibrating either projector, the 1070 definitely wins even more so. The Benq w7000 color can match the w1070, but ONLY after a calibration.

The w1070 looks better in dark scenes unless you have the w7000's IRIS set aggressively in the service menu. Basically, the w1070 has more accurate color and is even a little brighter without a calibration, has a better sharpening control, has higher Native On/Off contrast (better blacks without an IRIS), so the edge goes to the 1070. The only area of PQ the w7000 beats the w1070 is focus uniformity and default sharpness, but it's hardly by much enough to matter since the w7000 also seems to over-sharpen the image faster than the w1070. The main downfalls of the w1070 as you noted are placement, loudness (louder than the w7000), and that it will need an ND filter for 2D viewing (on the w7000 you can turn the IRIS on/off for 2D/3D viewing automatically without getting out of your chair). The w1070 you will need to walk up to the PJ and attach/remove the ND filter when switching between 2D and 3D viewing, and usually re-focus after doing so.

That said, these are small differences as opposed to comparing them to say a JVC or something. These two projectors are close, I didn't get to compare it in 3D but someone that has said 144hz is fine and removes most motion issues with 3D so you don't need the FI. I actually don't use 3D as much as I thought I would on my w7000 (3d movies are expensive to buy and the selection is lack-luster).

The quick summary might be to say that the w1070 is less convenient (due to placement restrictions, no manual IRIS capability and needs an ND filter, and is louder), but has a slightly better image.

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

post #13 of 28 Old 06-01-2013, 09:39 PM - Thread Starter

How necessary is the ND filter for 2D on the 1070? Is it like hurt your eyes too bright, or it just compromises the picture a bit? Does the eco mode help? If it is necessary then this one might be out as having to get up to put a filter on and take it off would be super annoying (ceiling mount).

post #14 of 28 Old 06-02-2013, 07:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 39
You can use Coderguys calc, in his signature, http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com/ to look at some brightness numbers, ie, closest throw with a high 1.4 gain screen, even in eco mode, its around 40 fls. A movie theater is around 16 fls. Lower gain screens, throw range, power mode all have an effect. I think at 40 fls you might want to wear sunglasses?
post #15 of 28 Old 06-02-2013, 09:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Interested ... Subscribed.

The guys in the pan 7000 thread seem to be having issues.

FS- Netgear 550 .ISO player - PM me
My Gear-Pioneer, JBL Pro Cinema, Fi Car Audio 4- SP4 18", Peavey IPR2 7500 x 4 -Mini-Dsp 4x10, GIK Acoustics, Seymour Screens 110" AT, Dune Smarts, uNraid Server
Theater Build and Two Sono Sub Builds Here-
post #16 of 28 Old 06-03-2013, 03:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I would choose W1070 over the W7000 its reported to be better in most areas and cheaper!!!..... Think benq kinda shot themselves on the foot releasing the W1070 so cheap with its features! makes it hard to warrant the W7000
post #17 of 28 Old 06-03-2013, 05:34 AM
AVS Special Member

For some reason, Benq made a projector with higher contrast that is shorter throw and slightly brighter, despite the w1070 being DC 3 and w7000 being DC 2, I think part of the reason for the failed contrast of the w7000 is the light path and lens shift design required for DLP to have center-based lens shift (is my guess). It's sort of sad the w7000 can only do 1000:1 native on/off at best, whereas the w1070 appears to be closer to 3000:1+.

post #18 of 28 Old 06-03-2013, 08:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Why does projector central say , more than once, in the 1070 review that the w7000 is ultra high contrast and much better at blacks than the 1070?

My Gear-Pioneer, JBL Pro Cinema, Fi Car Audio 4- SP4 18", Peavey IPR2 7500 x 4 -Mini-Dsp 4x10, GIK Acoustics, Seymour Screens 110" AT, Dune Smarts, uNraid Server
post #19 of 28 Old 06-03-2013, 08:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Only if the w7000 IRIS is set aggressively, but the side effect is you will notice it close and open on dark to bright scenes. I personally wouldn't call the w7000 ultra high contrast, that is reviewer error. PJC says a lot of things. I can promise you both Zombie and I agree (and others on AVS forum), the w7000 should not be classified as ultra-high contrast. It is very mediocre contrast, heck I've even measured it, you'll be lucky to get 1000:1 on/off at most (most will measure 800:1), and 3,500:1 after the IRIS, until you adjust the IRIS in the service menu then you can make it as dark of blacks as you want (with major side effects).

post #20 of 28 Old 06-03-2013, 08:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy View Post

Very little difference, but I actually think the 1070 is slightly better (believe it or not). The w1070 has no IRIS yet still matches the blacks of the w7000's default IRIS settings. That said, the w7000 won't need an ND filter like the w1070 does (because the w7000 IRIS can be used like a manual aperture to close down on the brightness). If you aren't going to be calibrating either projector, the 1070 definitely wins even more so. The Benq w7000 color can match the w1070, but ONLY after a calibration.

The w1070 looks better in dark scenes unless you have the w7000's IRIS set aggressively in the service menu. Basically, the w1070 has more accurate color and is even a little brighter without a calibration, has a better sharpening control, has higher Native On/Off contrast (better blacks without an IRIS), so the edge goes to the 1070. The only area of PQ the w7000 beats the w1070 is focus uniformity and default sharpness, but it's hardly by much enough to matter since the w7000 also seems to over-sharpen the image faster than the w1070. The main downfalls of the w1070 as you noted are placement, loudness (louder than the w7000), and that it will need an ND filter for 2D viewing (on the w7000 you can turn the IRIS on/off for 2D/3D viewing automatically without getting out of your chair). The w1070 you will need to walk up to the PJ and attach/remove the ND filter when switching between 2D and 3D viewing, and usually re-focus after doing so.

That said, these are small differences as opposed to comparing them to say a JVC or something. These two projectors are close, I didn't get to compare it in 3D but someone that has said 144hz is fine and removes most motion issues with 3D so you don't need the FI. I actually don't use 3D as much as I thought I would on my w7000 (3d movies are expensive to buy and the selection is lack-luster).

The quick summary might be to say that the w1070 is less convenient (due to placement restrictions, no manual IRIS capability and needs an ND filter, and is louder), but has a slightly better image.

Thank you much for your input, shed a lot of light on the subject (no pun intended...). I will be calibrating my projector, but not professionally, just myself with an iD3, so better than nothing. Can contrast/lamp intensity not be turned down enough to not need a filter? That seems somewhat surprising, but I'm new to the projector game, so maybe I'm wrong. Maybe I'll just save myself the 500 bucks and get the 1070 over the 7000 then.

post #21 of 28 Old 06-03-2013, 08:32 AM
AVS Special Member

You'll need an ND filter for 2D on small screens with the w1070 as previously discussed, unless you have ambient light or something.

Depends on how big of a screen you project to and how bright you can stand it, everyone is different. 900 Lumens is about the darkest this projector can go, so that is about 30 fL on a 100" 1.0 gain screen is the minimum. That is a bit uncomfortably bright, you can probably stand it but it's still too bright. Anything higher than 25-30 fL starts to actually hurt your eyes, 25-30 fL is bareable but not completely comfortable. This is a general estimate since it depends on the room and the viewer's eyes. 20-25 fL is usually ok even though it is still very bright. 18-22 fL would be what I'd recommend to shoot for on a new lamp.

Though you can mess up the contrast/brightness and gamma settings to crush the picture to make it darker, but that is not really a good solution.
CheYC likes this.

post #22 of 28 Old 06-03-2013, 08:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Only if the w7000 IRIS is set aggressively, but the side effect is you will notice it close and open on dark to bright scenes. I personally wouldn't call the w7000 ultra high contrast, that is reviewer error. PJC says a lot of things. I can promise you both Zombie and I agree (and others on AVS forum), the w7000 should not be classified as ultra-high contrast. It is very mediocre contrast, heck I've even measured it, you'll be lucky to get 1000:1 on/off at most (most will measure 800:1), and 3,500:1 after the IRIS, until you adjust the IRIS in the service menu then you can make it as dark of blacks as you want (with major side effects).

Thanks for the explanation.
CheYC likes this.

post #23 of 28 Old 06-03-2013, 08:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

You'll need an ND filter for 2D on small screens with the w1070 as previously discussed, unless you have ambient light or something.

Depends on how big of a screen you project to and how bright you can stand it, everyone is different. 900 Lumens is about the darkest this projector can go, so that is about 30 fL on a 100" 1.0 gain screen is the minimum. That is a bit uncomfortably bright, you can probably stand it but it's still too bright. Anything higher than 25-30 fL starts to actually hurt your eyes, 25-30 fL is bareable but not completely comfortable. This is a general estimate since it depends on the room and the viewer's eyes. 20-25 fL is usually ok even though it is still very bright. 18-22 fL would be what I'd recommend to shoot for on a new lamp.

Though you can mess up the contrast/brightness and gamma settings to crush the picture to make it darker, but that is not really a good solution.

Thanks, makes sense now. The screen I'm currently looking at is a 110" Elite CineWhite, 1.1 gain, which based on your calculator puts the lowest fL achievable at about 24 fL. Is there a specific filter you would personally recommend for this unit?

post #24 of 28 Old 06-03-2013, 08:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Check the official w1070 owner's thread...

post #25 of 28 Old 06-03-2013, 01:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 120
For those not in a big hurry for a new projector the upcoming BenQ W1400 and W1500 (same as W1400 but with wireless HDMI) appear to be based on the W1070 chassis but include a longer zoom and several other features. These are expected to be a few hundred dollars more expensive than the W1070, but these new models may be a viable step up from the W1070.

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
post #26 of 28 Old 08-07-2013, 08:19 PM

Coder Guy many thanks for your explanation on the differences between the Benq W7000 and 1070.

I must admit I am a little disappointed reading this after having just purchased a W7000. It was actually that projector central article (ultra high contrast) where they highlighted the black levels with pics that helped seal the deal, and it cost me roughly $600 USD more for the W7000 over the W1070 in my territory.

Excuse my lack of experience, I can access the service menu, but I am trying to locate the IRIS setting inside there?

Thanks
post #27 of 28 Old 08-08-2013, 10:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonymaxbirt View Post

Coder Guy many thanks for your explanation on the differences between the Benq W7000 and 1070.

I must admit I am a little disappointed reading this after having just purchased a W7000. It was actually that projector central article (ultra high contrast) where they highlighted the black levels with pics that helped seal the deal, and it cost me roughly $600 USD more for the W7000 over the W1070 in my territory.

Excuse my lack of experience, I can access the service menu, but I am trying to locate the IRIS setting inside there?

Thanks

There is no need to feel regret over the purchase, the w1070 has slightly better contrast, but the w7000 is less noisy and more feature rich overall (and better placement options).
So that extra $600 is often worth it to some people. Though the w7000 is slightly sharper, the sharpness difference between the w1070 and w7000 cannot really be seen unless you are using HTPC or really looking for it, it looks about the same in movies. Neither projector is perfect, but the w7000 is worth the extra $600 in some cases.

To get into the service menu of the w7000, go to the INFORMATION MENU, then push up-down-up-down-up-down ENTER. YOu do not have to push the buttons fast, but at a normal pace.
Once in the service menu, go to menu # 7 (2nd from the last), and you'll see a setting called MAX APERTURE, MIN APERTURE and Dynamic Black. Turn DB on, and set max aperture to 80-90 and Min aperture to whatever.
Then go to an all blank BLACK screen after a movie or before a movie (or use a test disk), and pause the black screen. Now to test how dark the IRIS is going, open the regular BENQ menu back and forth to see the IRIS in action as the menu opens and closes. Go back into the service menu of the Benq again and adjust MAX APERTURE higher (it's backwards) until you see the same test get darker with the IRIS again. Don't set the IRIS so dark as the screen goes totally dark, just find a good middle-ground.

Sorry if this does not make sense, but you can read the Benq w7000 Owner's thread for more info...

post #28 of 28 Old 08-13-2013, 02:44 PM

Great thanks Coderguy. I am considering a second projector with better contrast than the Benq just for 2d. I have a ceiling mounted dual stacker (picked up for cheap). I would just like to know your opinion, I have been following yourself and Zombie on various threads and you guys seem to be some of the most knowledgable and experienced with projectors on the net.

I run a HTPC and my needs are probably 1/2 Gaming and 1/2 Movies. I am leaning towards the JVC X35 as the high contrast and lack of an iris sound appealing, but not sure if motion resolution and input lag are up for gaming?

Am I asking of too much from one projector? And I am better off to use the Benq for gaming/3d and use the JVC for 2d movies.

To throw another spanner in the works, my room is not ideal, I have no external light coming in the room, but all my wall/ceiling surfaces are white, would the JVC be too much projector for this room? I am sure I would still see some benefit in contrast.

Also what is your opinion on the upcoming Benq W7500, is this going to be much improvement on the 7000?

Many thanks
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Benq W7000 Home Projection System , Epson 5020ub Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector , Panasonic Pt Ae7000u 1080p Full Hd Projector , Panasonic Ptae8000u Hd Projector
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page