Looking for the best 2D Projector for under $3K - not interested in 3D - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 05-30-2013, 06:17 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
After giving this much thought, I decided that I will move forward with replacing my Sanyo Z5 with a new 2D projector. I already have a Panasonic 3D television and that doesn't get used much.

My question is, what is the best 2D only projector under $3K?

I guess any projector that I get will be better than the Z5, however, I am looking to keep this until 4K projectors become affordable.

Thanks for any input you have.

Brian

Thanks and have a good day!

Brian Garner
-----------
XBox Gametag: IceSavior
PS3 Tag: IceSavior
- feel free to add me to your friends list
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 05-30-2013, 10:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 90
My guess is coder and zombie are both going to say the RS46. Call AVS to get correct (and very good) pricing. they both have threads which can educate you immensely if you have a day to spare reading. =P

I must be guilty because people say I am guilty because they chose to call me guilty because they refuse to see the truth. Much easier to be part of the mob..
post #3 of 10 Old 05-30-2013, 01:15 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks, I spent most of last night reading their threads, but mostly for the 3D.

However, the other thing I forgot to add is that this projector will be:

Movies - 40%
Gaming - 60%

I am hoping to get a projector that doesn't have a lot of lag.

Running my PS3 thru the DVDO to my Panasonic 55 - 3D television produces a lot of lag. Almost unplayable.

Brian

Brian Garner
-----------
post #4 of 10 Old 05-30-2013, 02:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Then you have an issue. You will need to sacrifice 2D PQ for lag I thinks at that price point. The JVC is 80ms.

But, onto your TV. One thing about lag on TV's...sometimes the user creates it by having lots of "extra things enabled" (e..g processing features). Do you know what the best lag case is for your TV? Have you tried researching to see what things you can disable? Have you tried connecting the PS3 directly to the TV and see if the lag reduces. Reason I am asking this is you say you "need better lag"...but "better lag compared to what" is the question. If you are currently getting 200 ms+ because of the current chain/setup...then the RS46 will be amazing. If you currently getting 100 ms and it is "unplayable" to you..then the JVC won't be a help.

Now..I know you said $3k...but the HW50ES is a "bit more" (call AVS for pricing)..but you also get a free lamp which I think might "meet your requirement" indirectly. The Sony has good lag (40 ms) which is near best in class for LCD and has damn good PQ (near the JVC RS46).

Hope I am not stepping on coder's/zombie's toes too much or paraphrasing too liberally.

I must be guilty because people say I am guilty because they chose to call me guilty because they refuse to see the truth. Much easier to be part of the mob..
post #5 of 10 Old 05-30-2013, 08:46 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks for the information. I was looking at the Sony, but price is holding me back since I will need to get a new Receiver that supports 3d which adds to the costs. I am also looking at the Sharp XV 300000 which was rated quite well, however reading the forum, it seems there are quite a few folks that are not that happy with the Sharp for a number of reasons.

Brian Garner
-----------
post #6 of 10 Old 05-30-2013, 08:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Why on earth would you run a gaming console through a VP, and then the 3dtv doesn't help much either. Turn everything off, ditch the VP lol.
post #7 of 10 Old 05-31-2013, 05:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgarner View Post

Thanks for the information. I was looking at the Sony, but price is holding me back since I will need to get a new Receiver that supports 3d which adds to the costs. I am also looking at the Sharp XV 300000 which was rated quite well, however reading the forum, it seems there are quite a few folks that are not that happy with the Sharp for a number of reasons.

1. You said 3D didn't matter; as you said "not interested in 3d". But now you need a new receiver which support 3d. Which is it?

2. Do not look at what prices you see advertised on the web....you must most dealers with better projectors to get "current" pricing.

3. Reason I didn't put up the Sharp is you said " Best 2D projector under 3k". The sharp isn't even close to the best 2D PJ under 3k.

4. And as verge said, I think you might be causing your own lag and didn't even know it.

I understand this is a big decision but I feel you are squirreling a bit. No matter what, all the PJ's in the sub $4k class have a compromise "somewhere". So unless you can start prioritizing your "quality requirements" (e.g. light, sharpness, lag, contrast, black level, etc) you will always be jumping back and forth, up and down, doing the cha cha wink.gif

post #8 of 10 Old 05-31-2013, 06:30 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I think I did confuse the message earlier regarding 3D.

3D isn't important for me, however, if I buy a projector that supports 3D, then it probably makes sense for me to also upgrade my receiver to support 3D, however, that is not important because 3D really isn't important for me. I just thought that it would be possible to buy a projector that is 2D only, but that seems to be not the case.

I will consider the Sony, however, the costs of the Sony seems to be higher than projectors in it's class such as the Epson 5020, Sharp Z30000 and Panasonic PTE-8000.

These are essentially the models I am considering. The JVC 46 supposedly has a lot of lag and gamers don't seem happy about it.

Brian Garner
-----------
post #9 of 10 Old 05-31-2013, 01:05 PM
AVS Special Member

I see where you are going. You are saying that lag is more important than 2D quality because that is the choice in the <$3k class? Is that true or not?

I still would like to understand where your current lag is coming from and how much it really is. Unless we know what lag you currently have we can't say 80ms is worse than 40ms from how you will perceive it. As Verge2 said, your VP might be adding in a 100+ ms of processing time. Until you answer that question, I really feel I've hit the end of the road with being able to participate in your decision p process.

post #10 of 10 Old 05-31-2013, 08:26 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Let me clarify. Currently I have 2 setups. One in the family room and one in the basement.

The family room has a Panasonic 3d 55" television (GT series), Denon 3D receiver and DVDO VP. This setup introduces enough lag when playing video games that it bothers the kids and me.

The basement setup currently has a Sanyo Z5 Projector and Denon 4301ci receiver (not 3d capable). With this setup I do not see any lag. However, in reading some of the threads, there are a few folks that mentioned they get lag with some of the projectors. Regardless, I am not that hardcore of a gamer but just want to make sure that any projector I purchase does not introduce any amount of lag that is unbearable.

With that being said, having the best 2D picture is the top priority. Lag I can deal with one way or the other

The Sony you mentioned is highly recommended but the price is higher than its competitors, however if this delivers the best 2D picture then that will be the choice I will make.

It is unfortunate that there are no really good only 2D projectors because I can live without having 3D on the projector.

Keep the advice coming.

Brian

Brian Garner
-----------
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Jvc Dla Rs46 Projector , Panasonic Viera Tc L55et5 55 Inch 1080p 3d Full Hd Ips Led Lcd Tv With 4 Pairs Of Polarized 3d Glass , Sony Vpl Hw50es 3d Projector , Sharp Xv Z30000 Dlp , Epson 5020ube Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Wireless Front Projector , Panasonic Ptae8000u Hd Projector
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page