First Projector Need Help Deciding – BenQ W1070 or Epson 8350? - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 63 Old 06-29-2014, 04:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Sorry to bump such an old thread, but it seems to be closely related to some of my specific questions...I am LTTP on the W1070 and a current Epson PL-HC8100 owner (analogous to the 8350 but not a direct match anyway). I had managed to stay away from AVS and the inevitable upgrade bug for a while, but now I am bitten!

Price is not a key consideration (especially as cheap as you can get a W1070), but time and required effort versus potential gain is...I would beg the experience of those who have seen both projectors in action to help me understand the potential differences and whether or not a light controlled, dedicated room with placement issues could benefit from adding a W1070 under the following conditions:

My room has some significant placement challenges:
  • low ceiling - 7' 6" PLUS a soffit that drops 13" in the middle of the room (between the mount location and the screen),
  • screen top at 20" below the ceiling- BUT the front edge of the soffit is approximately 5' from the screen - meaning the projected light has to navigate that too
  • the placement of a W1070 would require me to mount at 12' (getting much further from my current mount at 14' 5" would require me to pull out all the cabling and re-run new ones)
  • This would force me to use full zoom on the W1070 to hit my mounted 110" screen.
Obviously the lens shift and placement flexibility of the Epson were big selling points for me...and the 1080p and ridiculously low price I grabbed this for 3 years ago (under $1,000 in 2011)!!! My question then becomes: "Can the W1070, at full zoom, and possibly with an inch or more of lens shift as well, out produce the image of the 8100/8350 to a degree making it worth the hassle? Would there be enough of a picture quality or image brightness gain to make this worth the time?"

To help here somewhat, my definition of "worth it" would be anything that helps take my LCD projected image closer to the "wow"-impact of a 55" LG LED 1080p 3D TV that I have and has largely replaced my HT as my best looking set-up....

Are you the kind of person who believes in miracles or do you believe that people just get lucky?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 63 Old 06-30-2014, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 283
The 8350 is a great projector. To replace it with a W1070... well, it's not something I would do. Kind of a side step IMO.

I would replace it with a better model. Something like the Sony 40ES, which has the lens shift, but kicks up the rest. Very quiet, great image, minimal inter-pixel gap, a serious step up in contrast. Oh, and you get 3D.

The W1070 is going to be noisier, and has a very different look than LCD which you may not find appealing. The possibility for RBE issues is also possible. You do get 3D with the W1070, which is nice, and overall I would expect a slightly better image, but not night and day difference. The 8350 is no slouch of a projector which is why, after all these years, it's still available (or the relabeled 8345).

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #63 of 63 Old 06-30-2014, 11:06 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated View Post
The 8350 is a great projector. To replace it with a W1070... well, it's not something I would do. Kind of a side step IMO.

I would replace it with a better model. Something like the Sony 40ES, which has the lens shift, but kicks up the rest. Very quiet, great image, minimal inter-pixel gap, a serious step up in contrast. Oh, and you get 3D.

The W1070 is going to be noisier, and has a very different look than LCD which you may not find appealing. The possibility for RBE issues is also possible. You do get 3D with the W1070, which is nice, and overall I would expect a slightly better image, but not night and day difference. The 8350 is no slouch of a projector which is why, after all these years, it's still available (or the relabeled 8345).

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Thanks for the reply!

Given the constraints of my room / screen, I figured it would be tough, especially since the placement flexibility of the current PJ is such a huge benefit to me.

I spent some time last night moving my ceiling mount and experimenting with the placement of the Epson - moved it up about 1' (from projecting at 14' to projecting at 13') and was easily able to square the image on both the 110" 16 x 9 screen and also the 126" 2.35-1 screen (my fixed screen is actually a custom build of 54"h x 116"w - which I use magnetic masks to form the 16x9 image and then zoom out and remove the masks for 2.35-1 movies). That new ceiling placement was as far as I could go without re-running the ceiling installed cables...I am kicking myself again from not installing a tube in the ceiling for future cable runs, but when I built this 9 years ago it seemed like overkill already to have composite, component, S-video, DVI and HDMI...ah, the joys of lack of foresight!

The image quality on re-calibration was still very good - no 3D, but honestly I can easily make do with the 3D TV for that and I don't use it enough to upgrade everything yet...but still that Sony ES40 at $2K from Best Buy really got me thinking about it - much to the chagrin of my wife!

I think in the end I'll be staying pat....but man oh man...EVERYTIME I come to these threads I start getting that upgrade bug urge...LOL, some habits die hard! Thanks again for the response to a very old thread bump, appreciated!

Are you the kind of person who believes in miracles or do you believe that people just get lucky?
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 8350 , Benq W1070 1080p 3d Projector
Gear in this thread - W1070 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page