711XU, ISF, don't bother - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 06-14-2002, 12:55 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I put my name on Gregg Loewen's Southeast tour (from over at the HTF) to come by and calibrate my 711XU, and he came by yesterday morning. After reading many postings on Gregg specifcally and knowlegable ISF techs in general, I was eager to see how much better my picture would get.

He showed up and seemed extremely knowlegable and professional. Answered any questions I had and worked for over an hour on the projector.

Unfortunately, he was unable to do any improvements on it. As is well documented in past posts, the white balance can not be adjusted on this projector when it is being fed a YPbPr source. Though he said my grey scale was significantly off, there wasn't anything he could do. And I certainly wasn't willing to get back into the HTPC headache just to have it calibrated.

So, if any of you were thinking about having yours calibrated, that is my experience with it. If you have had any other experiences, I would love to hear it, but as for now, I know my picture is as good is it can get with this equipment :-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 06-14-2002, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by dbroome
...I know my picture is as good is it can get with this equipment :-)
Huh? I don't quite follow.

You said "And I certainly wasn't willing to get back into the HTPC headache just to have it calibrated." That implies that the projector *is* capable of better gray-scale but you're unwilling to use an HTPC. Correct?

Ken
post #3 of 6 Old 06-14-2002, 01:44 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

That is correct. When you supply a VGA source from an HTPC, the White Balance is adjustable. However, when you supply a YPbPr source (such as from my RP56 or DST3000), those options a greyed out and unusable.

I had originally used an HTPC, but I wasn't willing to deal with all the headaches that came along with it (I had lip synch issues, crashes, not too mention the fact my wife couldn't figure out how to watch a movie no matter how easy I made the Pronto look).
post #4 of 6 Old 06-14-2002, 01:54 PM

OK, now I understand. :)
post #5 of 6 Old 06-14-2002, 02:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Because of these issues, I'm definitely considering a transcoder to open up the adjustability. Have you thought about going that route, Dbroome?
post #6 of 6 Old 06-14-2002, 05:10 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I thought about it, but I am completely satisfied with the picture as it is, having never seen a calibrated set, and will save that money towards the purchase of some better surrond speakers :-)
Closed Thread Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page