Recommend a projector less then $1600 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 06-03-2013, 09:26 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
vertcobra99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 63
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am in the market for a new projector.

I have a couple that I am taking a look at.

It seems the best value is between the Optoma HD33 and the BenQ 1070.

Can someone let me know what the best one to with?

Or if you have a better recommendation feel free to share it.

Thanks,

Nick
vertcobra99 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 14 Old 06-03-2013, 06:57 PM
Member
 
Tatanka1313's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I would offer a different set of choices for a budget of $1600. If you are truly trying to decide between the optima and Benq, you will find the consensus to be in favor of Benq.... with caveats.
The Benq 1070 is a great value but tends to be limited to a "short throw". In other words, most people only buy the benq with a 12 foot or shorter throw. If you are placing the projector back 15 feet, it almost cannot work unless you have a huge screen. Keep this in mind in your purchase decision.
On the plus side, it has terrific 3d and a sharp image... better in fact than the optima. I'll stop there. If you truly want to spend up to 1600, you have a lot more options.
Tatanka1313 is offline  
post #3 of 14 Old 06-04-2013, 07:56 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
vertcobra99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 63
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ok then what projector do you think I should get? I want to get the best bang for my buck... These two models just so happened to be the highest rated I have come across within my price range so far.
vertcobra99 is offline  
post #4 of 14 Old 06-04-2013, 11:47 AM
AVS Special Member
 
coderguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 9,980
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 143
If you are real concerned about 3D, then the Sharp xvz-30,000 provides the best deal but it is usually $200 over that price if you get it when it is on sale. Another one is the Mitsubishi hc5 (same as hc9000d), but it is also $200 over that budget. The Sharp is much better at 3D than the Mits.

Yet another, which is only $100 over your budget is the Epson 5010 refurb from VisualApex.com. However, still $100 over smile.gif

The truth is, $1,600 is a bad cut-off point, $1,800 or less would be more realistic for a projector that also does good 3D.

If you want to forget about 3D and just focus on 2D in that price range, then the B-Stock JVC HD-250 (if you can still get them) is the best 2D projector under $1,500.
All said, it depends what you want, best 2D, best 3D, and if you are willing to buy from Ebay, etc...

If you want a good mix of dark blacks and good 3D, I'd go with the refurb Epson 5010 as it is the best of all worlds (though does have some gaming lag).

Mits hc5 = Best 2D via Ebay, not sure about gaming lag but I think it's low
Sharp xvz30,0000 = Best 3D and good 2D, I think gaming lag is too high for FPS
Epson 5010 = Best Blacks in 2D (a bit rougher due to pixel fill in bright scenes), also very good 3D but not as good as the Sharp, but lots of gaming lag

Beyond that, I would probably look at a Mitsubishi hc7800 or hc7900, but the lens isn't as sharp as some other DLP projectors.

Under $1,000, the w1070 is the king if you can fit it in your mounting range with its very short throw.


Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

coderguy is offline  
post #5 of 14 Old 06-04-2013, 12:11 PM
AVS Special Member
 
airscapes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 4,617
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 111
vertcobra99 you have a PM.
airscapes is online now  
post #6 of 14 Old 06-04-2013, 01:25 PM
AVS Special Member
 
jnabq's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Albq. NM, USA
Posts: 1,128
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Agree with Coders thoughts, and add, the Benq 7000 can be had for around $1500, and would be a decent substitute for the Benq 1070, if you find the placement on the 1070 is to limited, and if you just can't quite get to the $1700ish price point for the Epson.
jnabq is offline  
post #7 of 14 Old 06-05-2013, 06:59 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
vertcobra99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 63
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
alright well I don't want any gaming lag because i would like to play games on this projector. Its going to be on a 120 inch screen do you still think I would have placement issues with the Ben1 1070 using that big of a screen?

when I said 1600 dollars I can realistically spend up to 2000.

just want to get the best projector for that amount of money. So if my budger was 2000 what are my options. I want good 3d and 2d plus no gaming lag.
vertcobra99 is offline  
post #8 of 14 Old 06-05-2013, 07:23 AM
AVS Special Member
 
coderguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 9,980
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 143
There is no projector at $2000 or less that has the best of both attributes (2D and 3D), but the closest thing is the REFURB Epson 5010. Basically, the w1070 will have slightly cleaner 3D (better for 3D gaming), and less lag than the 5010, but all single player games should be fine on the 5010.

The lens of the w1070 will need to be placed at 10 feet to 13 feet back for 120" screen, and then you need an additional foot or two of room behind the lens (for the length of the projector itself).

It isn't so much about placement issues, the issue is usually how low the projector is mounted and how close the projector will be to the viewers' heads (the lens needs to be almost even with the top of the screen, just a couple inches above).
So keep in mind that with the w1070 since you can only place the projector about 13 feet back, then at a 1.2x seating width distance (which is about the distance most would sit at for 120" screen, some a tiny bit closer), then you would be sitting about 2.5 to 3 feet in front of the projector's maximum mounted range (so it's going to be louder than some projectors).

In short, it should work fine, and actually it works a little better with your throw distance. I would not build out the ceiling mounting area until after you've tested it on a ladder or similar to make sure the throw distance is working for you. You can also mount it on a high shelf or on a wall mount (special mount that attaches to the wall).


Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

coderguy is offline  
post #9 of 14 Old 06-05-2013, 08:47 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
vertcobra99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 63
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy View Post

There is no projector at $2000 or less that has the best of both attributes (2D and 3D), but the closest thing is the REFURB Epson 5010. Basically, the w1070 will have slightly cleaner 3D (better for 3D gaming), and less lag than the 5010, but all single player games should be fine on the 5010.

The lens of the w1070 will need to be placed at 10 feet to 13 feet back for 120" screen, and then you need an additional foot or two of room behind the lens (for the length of the projector itself).

It isn't so much about placement issues, the issue is usually how low the projector is mounted and how close the projector will be to the viewers' heads (the lens needs to be almost even with the top of the screen, just a couple inches above).
So keep in mind that with the w1070 since you can only place the projector about 13 feet back, then at a 1.2x seating width distance (which is about the distance most would sit at for 120" screen, some a tiny bit closer), then you would be sitting about 2.5 to 3 feet in front of the projector's maximum mounted range (so it's going to be louder than some projectors).

In short, it should work fine, and actually it works a little better with your throw distance. I would not build out the ceiling mounting area until after you've tested it on a ladder or similar to make sure the throw distance is working for you. You can also mount it on a high shelf or on a wall mount (special mount that attaches to the wall).

What if I went way over my budget to the epson 5020? Does that projecter have any video game lag?
vertcobra99 is offline  
post #10 of 14 Old 06-05-2013, 08:52 AM
AVS Special Member
 
coderguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 9,980
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 143
The only 3D projector discussed in this thread with semi-low lag under $2000 is the Benq w1070. There are some others under $1500, but none that would beat the PQ of the w1070 that I know. I think the w1070 is 30ms to 50ms or less, whereas the Benq w7000 is 50+ ms, the Epson 5020 is about 60ms to 65ms, and the 5010 said to be about 70-80ms.

Lag only matters in multiplayer FPS really, it can matter a tiny tiny bit in some single player games, but not much if at all.


Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

coderguy is offline  
post #11 of 14 Old 06-05-2013, 10:22 AM
Member
 
BLWTX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 126
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Great Deal w/glasses and low lamp hours

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1473029/optoma-hd3300-3d-dlp-projector-w-4-pairs-optoma-rf-glasses

I have owned an HD3300 since 12/11 and it has been a great projector with zero issues. I have no problem recommending the HD3300 for a great picture and reliability. Like any projector, make sure it fits your mounting requirements for your room.


I think there is an W7000 in the classifieds as well.
BLWTX is offline  
post #12 of 14 Old 06-05-2013, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member
 
airscapes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 4,617
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLWTX View Post

Great Deal w/glasses and low lamp hours

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1473029/optoma-hd3300-3d-dlp-projector-w-4-pairs-optoma-rf-glasses

I have owned an HD3300 since 12/11 and it has been a great projector with zero issues. I have no problem recommending the HD3300 for a great picture and reliability. Like any projector, make sure it fits your mounting requirements for your room.


I think there is an W7000 in the classifieds as well.

And the Z30K wink.gif
airscapes is online now  
post #13 of 14 Old 06-05-2013, 10:48 AM
AVS Special Member
 
coderguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 9,980
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 143
I think the Sharp xzv-30000 has high gaming lag (but correct me if I am wrong), he wants low gaming lag. The Optoma hd3300 is a nice projector, but I'd give a slight advantage to the Benq w1070 overall. For 2D though, I think in some ways the Epson 5010/5020 is better than all these (for darker movies anyhow), and on a new lamp the Epson is pretty close to DLP quality in 3D for most movies, but for 3D gaming it's not good. Though honestly I don't see how people can stand 3D gaming in an active glasses setup EVEN on a DLP. Too bad the Epson also has some significant gaming lag.

I think for 3D gaming, I'm going to eventually (soon maybe) try to setup a passive 3D setup soon with 2 projectors, a Benq w7000 and JVC RS-45 at the same time (we'll see how that works). It might not work not having the same two projectors, but actually the pixels on the w7000 and RS-45 are semi-closely matched believe it or not since the w7000 has slightly larger pixels it kind of hides the MINOR convergence error of the JVC. That is why I want to try it, also since both projectors have IRIS's and lens shift, I can easily keep brightness matched and position.

However, I think I need a new screen to go behind my existing one and haven't figured out the parameters to all this yet. Even though I'm not the gamer I once was when younger, well I do think 3D does greatly add to certain games, but I also think the shuttering of the glasses ruins it. With movies your eyes are not moving back and forth as fast so the shuttering isn't as eye-fatigue causing, but I've noticed in 3D gaming eye fatigue gets at its worst.


Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

coderguy is offline  
post #14 of 14 Old 06-06-2013, 08:27 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
vertcobra99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 63
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy View Post

I think the Sharp xzv-30000 has high gaming lag (but correct me if I am wrong), he wants low gaming lag. The Optoma hd3300 is a nice projector, but I'd give a slight advantage to the Benq w1070 overall. For 2D though, I think in some ways the Epson 5010/5020 is better than all these (for darker movies anyhow), and on a new lamp the Epson is pretty close to DLP quality in 3D for most movies, but for 3D gaming it's not good. Though honestly I don't see how people can stand 3D gaming in an active glasses setup EVEN on a DLP. Too bad the Epson also has some significant gaming lag.

I think for 3D gaming, I'm going to eventually (soon maybe) try to setup a passive 3D setup soon with 2 projectors, a Benq w7000 and JVC RS-45 at the same time (we'll see how that works). It might not work not having the same two projectors, but actually the pixels on the w7000 and RS-45 are semi-closely matched believe it or not since the w7000 has slightly larger pixels it kind of hides the MINOR convergence error of the JVC. That is why I want to try it, also since both projectors have IRIS's and lens shift, I can easily keep brightness matched and position.

However, I think I need a new screen to go behind my existing one and haven't figured out the parameters to all this yet. Even though I'm not the gamer I once was when younger, well I do think 3D does greatly add to certain games, but I also think the shuttering of the glasses ruins it. With movies your eyes are not moving back and forth as fast so the shuttering isn't as eye-fatigue causing, but I've noticed in 3D gaming eye fatigue gets at its worst.

Honestly I don't watch a whole lot of 3D stuff... so 2D is more important to me. I would never do 3D gaming that would make me puke lol.

I just want it to have the ability to do 3D if I want to have a movie night with kids or something.
vertcobra99 is offline  
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Optoma Hd33 1080p 3d Projector , Benq W1070 3d Ready Dlp Projector 1080p Hdtv , Mitsubishi Hc7800d Projector Full Hd 3d Projector , Mitsubishi Hc7900dw Home Theater 3d Projector , Benq W7000 Home Projection System
Gear in this thread - 1080p by PriceGrabber.com

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off