New LG PG65U Portable 720p LED Projector - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 22 Old 06-04-2013, 07:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Among the most interesting details is the claimed 100,000:1 contrast ratio and up to 125" screen support.

http://www.lg.com/us/projectors/lg-PG65U-portable-led-projector

Specs:

This projector has just made me reconsider my interest in the upcoming Vivitek Qumi Q7 but only if the contrast is anywhere near the mentioned spec.

Will have to wait for reviews.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 06-04-2013, 08:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Yeah, I'm looking forward to reviews on this model. It doesn't have 3d at all. But the built in battery is interesting and the 100,000:1 contrast ratio sounds amazing. On the pa70g, it had 15,000:1 constrast ratio and I could see big improvement compared to the lower constrast versions. So I'm thinking the colors are gonna POP even more. I wonder if a 700-1000 lumen model will be coming out from LG soon.

I'm still thinking the pa75u is "king of the LED's so far with native 3d and tuner and all the other goodies", imagine the pa75u with 8 hour battery. smile.gif
post #3 of 22 Old 06-04-2013, 08:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgtaa View Post

I wonder if a 700-1000 lumen model will be coming out from LG soon.

I just recently heard about the PG65U and it's as if it became quickly released without any previous or big announcement.

You can even get it from Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/LG-Electronics-PG65U-Resolution-Integrated/dp/B00C197G0A

If they are going to release a higher lumen one then I'm willing to wait another two months for it and I really want them to include 3D too.

post #4 of 22 Old 06-04-2013, 09:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Yeah, I agree with you on that. It happened really fast with the LG pg65u. So hopefully other newer models will show up.

I'm still thinking people don't realize that the pa75u is 3d native. I have been sharing about it, but I don't know of any bulb based or other PJ's that have built in 3d. Most have to have other eqiupment to get 3d to work. But with the pa75u, you can put 3d files on usb stick and plug it into back of pa75u and get 3d working, or over 3d tv, or wifi 3d. It's like everybody is sleeping on this. It's a very big deal. Even Lg is not advertizing it that way. Even LG is sleeping about talking it up. smile.gif
post #5 of 22 Old 06-04-2013, 10:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 20
100k:1 from a dlp, sounds legit.

I guess you could just shut the LEDs off on fade to blacks.
post #6 of 22 Old 06-04-2013, 10:18 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgtaa View Post

Yeah, I agree with you on that. It happened really fast with the LG pg65u. So hopefully other newer models will show up.

I'm still thinking people don't realize that the pa75u is 3d native. I have been sharing about it, but I don't know of any bulb based or other PJ's that have built in 3d. Most have to have other eqiupment to get 3d to work. But with the pa75u, you can put 3d files on usb stick and plug it into back of pa75u and get 3d working, or over 3d tv, or wifi 3d. It's like everybody is sleeping on this. It's a very big deal. Even Lg is not advertizing it that way. Even LG is sleeping about talking it up. smile.gif

I bought the PA75U and loved it because of how many features they crammed in a small box but unfortunately the focus issue was a deal breaker and that's after exchanging it three times only to have the same focus problem.

I think LG is now definitely aware of the focus issues with some of their LED projectors and all thanks to people who did the right thing and called them about it along with all the threads mentioning it, especially from this site.

It was very hard to say goodbye to my PA75U and its menu setup is very easy and nice looking for navigating to any setting.

I'm crossing my fingers on LG very soon releasing a 1000 lumnes model with 3D and with equal or better contrast to PG65U.

smile.gif
post #7 of 22 Old 02-01-2014, 12:11 PM

Liked: 12
This is an amazing projector in its class. I bought it on Amazon when it was on sale a few weeks. ago. I paid less than the price of a LG PB63U. It is great value for money in the US considering that the comparable LG PG60G in Europe costs at least 60% - 70% more. I wanted a small LED projector I could use anywhere without any bulb worries.

It is very small and the included battery lasted a bit longer than 2 hours for mixed use (USB playback & Miracast), when I tested it.The power adapter is rated 100V -240V and works fine in Europe. It is really cool to turn any surface into a screen instantly whether you have power nearby or not. I think this is a newer model than the LG PA75U. It looks as though they developed this model along with the LG PF85U and the LG PA77U.

- Contrast is the best I have seen in this class (Claimed 100,000:1 - Full On & Full Off). Blacks are really good and much better than blacks on my old Hitachi TX 200.

- Brightness even with battery is very good for my needs ( including moderately lit rooms with projection on a wall facing the window with curtains). I mostly use the eco mode as it is sufficient up to 60"- 80" depending on lighting conditions. I project directly on walls and ceilings (up to 100") painted with Dulux pure brilliant white.I actually keep some lighting on for screen sizes less than 50" in the night as I sometimes find it a bit too bright for my liking even in eco mode unless I significantly reduce brightness and contrast.

- Miracast mostly works fine except in fast moving games. There is some input lag and stuttering in games. . I found it to be better than my experience with the Netgear Miracast adapter. I have tested it with Note 3 and Nexus 7 2013. It is usable for what I need and it is good to have it built-in. Both YouTube and BBC iPlayer work fine over Miracast. I am able to achieve 1920x1080 with iPlayer. I am planning to get a WiDi card for my laptop now.

- Images are quite sharp and I don't have any focus issues. I have even focus on all four sides. Auto keystone works fine.

- Fan noise is not noticeable while watching videos or if you are 5-6 feet away from the projector.

- I am sensitive to RBE on bulb projectors and that is why I never bought a DLP projector before. I have not noticed any RBE while playing videos or browsing the web.

- It can play most formats and the Office viewer works well.

- Very easy to project on to ceilings with the included adapter.

- Build quality is very good and it does not seem to get too hot.The size and shape are perfect my needs.

I think the following video on YouTube sums up all the use cases for this projector. It has made me fall in love with projectors all over again. smile.gifsmile.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F10lGCo_BSI
post #8 of 22 Old 02-02-2014, 12:11 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by owizard View Post

- Contrast is the best I have seen in this class (Claimed 100,000:1 - Full On & Full Off). Blacks are really good and much better than blacks on my old Hitachi TX 200.

Hi owizard,

Design of your new projector is so cool ! So vintage, I love it.

That's a pity in europe (belgium) the price is almost twice the price of the pb60g which is comparable in terms of specs except the contrast and battery of course.

How would you compare the brightness of the LG against the hitachi tx 200 ?

thanks
post #9 of 22 Old 02-02-2014, 02:12 PM

Hi breezer,

The design is really cool and interesting smile.gif . It definitely has that WOW factor. I imported this from Amazon USA to the UK. It cost me only £359 including taxes and delivery. However, the price seems to have gone up on Amazon since I bought it. The picture quality and brightness of LG PG65U compare really well with the Hitachi TX200 up to 100 inches.I think I prefer the LG up to this size. The contrast and blacks are much better on the LG. The TX200 has a better lens and visibly higher lumen output at screen sizes exceeding 100 inches. I project the TX200 at 140 inches. The problems with my TX200 include dust blobs and lack of colour uniformity at the bottom even though it is still going strong after 8 years and more than 1000 hours on the original bulb.
post #10 of 22 Old 02-04-2014, 06:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Nice review owizard! biggrin.gif
owizard likes this.

post #11 of 22 Old 02-20-2014, 08:41 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Anyone know if the PG65U is being discontinued? Looks like Newegg stopped carrying it.
post #12 of 22 Old 02-21-2014, 12:22 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by croak View Post

Anyone know if the PG65U is being discontinued? Looks like Newegg stopped carrying it.

Hi,

Projector is not discontinued. Don't know about newegg but in europe reseller have the EU version pg60g.
post #13 of 22 Old 02-22-2014, 10:37 PM

Just got this projector today. Will compare it with my PA70G later this week. I can't get Miracast working with my LG Optimus G Pro phone, which is annoying. It says it's connecting but never does.
post #14 of 22 Old 02-25-2014, 08:54 AM

The projector is still available in the US. Please check this link:

LG Electronics PG65U Portable LED Projector
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/965494-REG/lg_electronics_pg65u_led_wxga_500.html
post #15 of 22 Old 02-26-2014, 08:07 AM

I know you can still find them, just seemed like some places stopped carry the projector like Amazon and Newegg. I wasn't sure if this was because it was being phased out.

Overall I like mine. At full power (500 lumen) it doesn't seem that far off from PA70G (700 lumen). WiDi / Miracast is a joke, it doesn't consistently work for me. This is from two devices, an LG Optimus G Pro phone (Android) and a Nokia 2520 tablet (Windows RT). It starts the screen mirroring, but then cuts out. Other things that annoy me are the manual shows that you can hook a tripod to the projector with the battery attachment on it, but you cant.

It looks like the threaded lens hood is 30mm, so I'm going to see if I can find a wide angle video lens to make the throw distance shorter.
owizard likes this.
post #16 of 22 Old 02-26-2014, 11:12 AM

Hi Croak, thanks for the update. how are you finding contrast when compared to PA70G. It is surprising LG's own phone having difficulty with it. I am posting this with Galaxy Note 3 over Miracast. I am able to watch even high bit rate videos over Miracast. My nexus 3 is also mostly OK.
post #17 of 22 Old 02-26-2014, 03:28 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
is that lens hood actually useful, or is it there mostly for looks?
post #18 of 22 Old 03-02-2014, 12:20 PM

@Roger Lococco - Lens hood is mostly for looks. Although I'm glad it has it because it means there a threaded lens mount that I'm going to try some wide angle lenses with.

@owizard - I think the contrast is fine, maybe that's why I feel like the picture quality isn't that far off my PA70G? I am wondering if I have a bad wifi unit on mine though, my Miracast always cuts out.
post #19 of 22 Old 03-02-2014, 05:52 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
Thanks, and the results of your lens experiment will be really interesting.
post #20 of 22 Old 06-29-2014, 08:03 PM

Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by croak View Post
@Roger Lococco - Lens hood is mostly for looks. Although I'm glad it has it because it means there a threaded lens mount that I'm going to try some wide angle lenses with.<br><br>
@owizard - I think the contrast is fine, maybe that's why I feel like the picture quality isn't that far off my PA70G? I am wondering if I have a bad wifi unit on mine though, my Miracast always cuts out.
Croak, any update you can share on your experiment to try attaching a wide angle lens to the PG65U?
Thanks in advance for your response !
post #21 of 22 Old 07-02-2014, 06:18 AM

Liked: 0
good,The TX200 has a better lens and visibly higher lumen output at screen sizes exceeding 100 inches. I project the TX200 at 140 inches. The problems with my TX200 include dust blobs and lack of colour uniformity at the bottom even though it is still going strong after 8 years and more than 1000 hours on the original bulb.thanks
post #22 of 22 Old 07-02-2014, 06:43 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by croak View Post
Just got this projector today. Will compare it with my PA70G later this week. I can't get Miracast working with my LG Optimus G Pro phone, which is annoying. It says it's connecting but never does.
If you've never had miracast working through your router before (it's dlna and not WiFi direct, yes?) It could be your router that's giving the trouble also. I know mine likes to really mess with most aspects of networked streaming.

If you're using a WiFi direct version where the devices see and connect to eachother even with the router unplugged, then I'd be more afraid it's the PJ.

Last edited by Ftoast; 07-02-2014 at 06:48 AM.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Lg Pg65u Dlp Projector , Lg Pa75u Dlp Home Theater Projector

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page