Projector choice for a 10 ft throw - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 06-04-2013, 11:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am almost done my basement and have been researching the projector so much my brain is overloaded. I have a space in the basement that is dedicated with almost no daylight to mess with. I will be doing around a 100" screen (wall not that big) and the projector will be at 10 ft. since there is a support beam there and would just inter-fear with the picture if it was any further back. I mostly will be doing movies and some gaming if possible(xbox). With a throw that short, am I limited on what projector i get or will the zoom help me out and not mess with the picture? I love what i hear about the epson 5010 (except for the gaming lag) but worry about getting it set up for my area. $1800 is my max budget but wonder with such a small room and no light to mess with would a benq1070 be more than enough?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 06-05-2013, 09:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked: 369
You have to measure from the lens to the screen, so if the beam is at 10', then the lens will be at 8.5' or so to the screen. That's a very short throw distance.

http://www.projectorcentral.com/projectors.cfm?g=1&hide=0&st=1&mfg=&p=300&p=2000&w=&r=13&br=&ll=&ltg=&t=&db=&dt=&c=&ar=&dvi=&wr=&pjl=&pjw=&pjh=&td=8.5&i=d&is=100&sort=pop&sz=15

There are only 3 projectors listed which can do it, and the W1070 is in that group - and is the one that I would recommend.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #3 of 13 Old 06-05-2013, 11:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 126
The Sharp XV-Z3000 has a 2:1 lens and can do 100" from 10 ft. I has lens shift and can be placed on the back wall and do even a bigger screen if you want as it has V&H lens shift.
post #4 of 13 Old 06-08-2013, 10:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 212
To avoid confusion, you really need to provide a more precise description of your layout. "Throw distance" is measured from the projector's lens (i.e., front of the projector) to the screen and will your really have a full 10 ft. for that distance? Or will the 10 ft. you mention be as measured from the screen to the center of the projector's ceiling mount or perhaps to the rear of the projector?

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
post #5 of 13 Old 06-09-2013, 12:31 PM

Sorry to but in but I have a quick question about this topic. What is the distance from the middle of the projector to the lens? I am looking at the w1070 and have about 8.5 feet to where my mount is. Just needing to know how much I need to subtract from that distance.

Thanks
post #6 of 13 Old 06-09-2013, 10:06 PM - Thread Starter

Well the support beam is 10ft 5 inches from the wall where the screen is so if I mount on that side of the beam i will loose some throw distance depending on projector size(Now this was the plan). Now the beam is framed in and only comes down 9 inches from the ceiling and the screen will be about 12 inches from the ceiling. So if a projector is upside down and mounted from the ceiling behind the beam at 12ft, the beam wont get in the road since it is higher than the screen correct. I will try to upload a few pictures and yes my area is a mess. Laying down floor in the rest of the basement.
IMAG0012.jpg 1148k .jpg file
IMAG0011.jpg 1031k .jpg file
IMAG0010.jpg 857k .jpg file
just want a good projector the has descent blacks and game lag not so bad.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0012.jpg (1.12 MB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0011.jpg (1.01 MB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0010.jpg (857.1 KB, 34 views)
post #7 of 13 Old 06-10-2013, 08:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by koko11 View Post

Sorry to but in but I have a quick question about this topic. What is the distance from the middle of the projector to the lens? I am looking at the w1070 and have about 8.5 feet to where my mount is. Just needing to know how much I need to subtract from that distance.

Thanks

Just download the owner's manual - on page 55 you find all the measurement information you need for mounting this projector.

http://www.projectorcentral.com/pdf/projector_manual_7265.pdf

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #8 of 13 Old 06-10-2013, 11:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 212
I looks like you could easily mount the projector to the rear of the ceiling beam using a ceiling mount with an extension pipe so that the projector's lens (center) is located approx. 12 inches below the ceiling. I would paint the drywall covering the beam a flat black to avoid any chance of light scatter/reflections. As for projectors the BenQ W1070 will not work for this projector/screen setup since even though it has a little amount of lens shift adjustment it still must be mounted several inches higher than the top of the screen. So to use this projector you would need to lower the screen a few inches.

The Sharp XV-Z30000 and last year's Epson 5010 (or just about any of the current Epson home theater projector models except the 3020) have wide range vertical lens shift adjustments and would work with this mounting location. As for the video input lag for gaming, the Epson 5010 was measured (HERE) to have a long 80 ms of lag while the Sharp has in the range of 60 ms to 70 ms of video input lag (measured HERE). Depending on how serious a gamer you, are these projectors may have too much input lag for you (or not). Another projector to consider is the BenQ W7000 which is now a two year old model now available for under $2K (a replacement has not yet been announced). It has a relative short input lag of around 35 ms (measured HERE) and includes a lens shift adjustment that should work with the above described setup. For a given screen size the BenQ W7000 requires a longer throw distance than most other projectors and the minimum throw distance for a 100 inch (diagonal 16 x 9) screen is just under 12 ft. that that should also work for the above proposed setup (with a throw distance of 12 ft. or perhaps a little more).

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
post #9 of 13 Old 06-10-2013, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by koko11 View Post

Thanks

Just download the owner's manual - on page 55 you find all the measurement information you need for mounting this projector.

http://www.projectorcentral.com/pdf/projector_manual_7265.pdf

Thank you! Exactly the info I was looking for.
post #10 of 13 Old 06-10-2013, 04:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 47
I have a not-too-different basement alcove that I'm dealing with.

IMHO, your main issue isn't going to be finding a projector with the right throw distance. Use coderguy's eliteprojector calculator and you can pin that down well enough from different units -- the two BenQs are probably your best bet (W1070 or W1070ST).

A bigger issue would seem to me to be how boxy your audio is going to be coming out of that space. You can read up on this until you go blind in the HT dedicated thread here. The gist is, you might pursue two basic routes to mitigate this problem:

(1) cover everything in there with absorbing panels, including the ceiling (better yet, remove the sheetrock, stuff the walls and cover them with HVAC duct board and fabric/carpet), and

(2) to maximize your screen size at the wall, drop an AT (acoustically transparent) screen one foot in front of the wall and put your speakers behind it. (This might require using the W1070ST projector).

Better to think about this now than after everything's done.
post #11 of 13 Old 06-11-2013, 07:51 PM - Thread Starter

Would i be better off getting a grey screen to help with the black levels of the Benq1070. For the price everything sounds great except the black levels. I assume the grey screen would lower the brightness of the image but since it is on a 100" screen and in a dark room (90% night time viewing, only football games in daytime). the grey screen should hurt the brightness that much. Am i correct to assume this.
post #12 of 13 Old 06-12-2013, 11:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 148
I would get an ND filter instead of a grey screen. You can take the ND filter off once the lamp ages, but you can't take your grey screen off (well I guess you could replace it). Also, you will want to remove the ND filter in 3D mode most likely (maybe not at first since your screen is only 100", but eventually). You can add/remove the ND filter in just a minute or so, so you can go back and forth. Plus ND filters are cheap (under $50) and you can pick different levels of brightness reduction when buying one.

Most people using small to medium sized screens need an ND filter with this projector, it's a light cannon.

Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

post #13 of 13 Old 06-14-2013, 01:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 47
A gray screen will have a negative impact on live sports, which often (Stanley Cup!) benefit from a light cannon.

If you've got that much light control, go with the removable ND filter just to see if you like it.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Sharp Xv Z30000 Dlp , Epson 5010 E Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector With Wirelesshd , Benq W7000 Home Projection System
Gear in this thread - Z30000 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page