Will a projector work in my living room?? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 06-05-2013, 12:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello,

I am moving back to the US and into my condo.... Starting to toy with the idea of what to put in my living room to watch TV.

I am not big into movies or anything. Mostly I watch documentaries/discovery channel when I get home. Some car races on the weekends and a movie or two every month.

Last time I lived there I just had my 46" Samsung LED LCD TV that I already had. I knew that 6 months later I was relocation out of the country for a couple years so it was not worth buying anything special to fit the room...

So the question is will a projector work with the amount of light in the room for casual viewing during the day?
Was thinking a short throw projector for ease of installation close to the wall. But really have not done much research other than read some buyers guides.

Here is a picture of the room with the old TV. Since then the roller shades were put in.

Here is the picture with the roller shades installed, they are 10% open.

Thanks!
AE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 06-05-2013, 12:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 139
This question is asked a lot, and the only answer is it depends and even then the "it depends" answer is subjective to what the viewer is expecting in terms of image quality. If you can keep the light away from the screen (pointed away), then it can work ok with some light, but it's complex and depends how much and how the light is bouncing back.

Sounds like you really are just after a large bright projector, consider a Benq w7000 or Epson 5010/5020 as these generally produce very bright images but also have the ability to go much darker if needed when the lights are dimmed. Another option is the Benq w1070 which is a semi-short throw (though there are shorter throw ones).

Any of these would probably work, but will the image quality beat a TV in ambient light, no way, but the larger size is more immersive anyhow.

Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

post #3 of 6 Old 06-05-2013, 12:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 39
Coder gave you good advise, I'll add that since your into racing, the Epson lcd's may fall a little short with very fast motion. The Sharp Z30000 might be better in that regard, but might have lower lamp life, and be a little less bright. http://www.avsforum.com/t/1463126/motion-judder-motion-blur-with-highly-rated-lcd-lcos-projectors#post_23092588
post #4 of 6 Old 06-05-2013, 02:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 253
With that much light coming into your room and large windows, the image will generally be washed out and look terrible. I'm all about projectors, but if you want a quality image that is daytime viewable, I would opt for the 80" Sharp or a 65" Samsung. I would not recommend a projector in this type of environment unless it was a real beast with a Black Diamond screen.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #5 of 6 Old 06-05-2013, 09:51 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Can you give me an example of a beast and a black diamond screen? Thx
post #6 of 6 Old 06-05-2013, 10:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 139
The Benq w1070 and a Black Diamond screen would certainly qualify...

The Lumen measurements are as follows from ProjectorReviews.com:
Cinema= 1711 @ 6913, 1335 @ 6566 with Normal lamp and Brilliant Color off.

This is one of the brightest projectors with the most accurate color in the sub-$2000 home theater price class (pretty much is the brightest with any decent contrast). There are also the two cross-over projectors, the Benq sh910 or Optoma th1060p, both of which have rather slow color wheels and less than stellar contrast, so they might bother viewers due to RBE, but the Benq w1070 has a fast color wheel. Also, the Optoma hd25, but don't know that much about it.

Even the Benq w7000 on a Black Diamond screen should be bright enough.

Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Benq W7000 Home Projection System , Epson 5010 Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector , Epson 5020ub Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector , Benq W1070 1080p 3d Projector , Sharp Xv Z30000 Dlp
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page