AVS Forum banner
2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  fierce_gt 
#1 ·
I know this is a highly unlikely situation, unless you're considering an upgrade like I was. I wanted to 'test' for my own satisfaction and thought I would share my favourite shots.

I have a 0.8 gain 100" grey screen. I set up both projectors so the images were basically overlapping, then I blocked off half of each projector's image. the result gave me a really nice comparison. and this isn't taking into considering the jvc can diaplsy 1080p. i'm feeding a 720p signal to both projectors.

the projectors are a brand new JVC x35 and a Epson hc720 with about 1800hrs on the bulb. again, this was done for MY interest, and should not be an indicator of how two brand new models would compare. I just thought i'd share my pleasure with my new projector.

I was originally going to try and get two small full size images side by side but neither projector would allow me to zoom out far enough in the mounting location to make this feasible.

anyway, here's my favourite. A shot from the dark knight. the Epson displayed this so poorly I flipped sides afterwards just to show how much of a difference there really is. and the scary thing is the Epson is 'calibrated' as best I can in terms of contrast/brightness. the JVC is out of the box in 'natural' I believe.

who's Harvey talking too?

oh, it's batman...

the difference in real life is pretty close to what i'm seeing in the pics. it's tough since the jvc is brighter, but it's also darker. so it's actually a good representation of how terrible the Epson is

some other shots that came out well. again, I don't think I need to tell you which side is the JVC, haha.

even just a blank black background shows a staggering difference

See less See more
#2 ·
I used to have the 720 but upgraded to the 6500 UB ..it was like night and day especially in the black levels. How can you miss what you never had? Until you had it! ;-)

#3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by matrixj3  /t/1475984/jvc-x35-vs-epson-hc720#post_23399637

I used to have the 720 but upgraded to the 6500 UB ..it was like night and day especially in the black levels. How can you miss what you never had? Until you had it! ;-)

exactly. the push for me was upgrading the plasma that sits behind the screen. got to the point i knew i just wasn't even going to use the projector because the f8500 looked so much better. i'm very happy now, i'm sure after i get some time to calibrate the JVC, and hopefully figure out this 1080p thing(for some reason my receiver is thinking i have a display that does not support 1080p hooked up) the picture will look just as good(at night) on the projector as the plasma, but twice the size.

#5 ·
I will confirm, now that I have it adjusted close to properly, the only thing that maybe makes me think twice about the projector is light in the room and the screen texture on my budget screen. no fault of the projector at all really. both plasma and projector display a very clear, very bright, and very accurate image. i'm now starting to think i'm wasting the beautiful plasma as I pretty much only use it for SD stuff now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.