Pretty basic calibration question: Please help! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 06-05-2013, 06:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just received a BENQ W1080ST projector and want to do some basic calibration (without a meter).

My question is: What order should I calibrate the brightness, contrast, and gamma?

I adjusted the gamma with the 'gamma response' pattern from the Disney WOW blu-ray disc.
The gamma setting of 2.8 was the closest to the 2.2 level in the pattern. Next I adjusted the brightness, then the contrast.

Am I doing this stuff correctly? Any basic tips? Please help a NOOB in need!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-05-2013, 06:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostman84 View Post

I just received a BENQ W1080ST projector and want to do some basic calibration (without a meter).

My question is: What order should I calibrate the brightness, contrast, and gamma?

I adjusted the gamma with the 'gamma response' pattern from the Disney WOW blu-ray disc.
The gamma setting of 2.8 was the closest to the 2.2 level in the pattern. Next I adjusted the brightness, then the contrast.

Am I doing this stuff correctly? Any basic tips? Please help a NOOB in need!

Then go back and recheck brightness as brightness and contrast can interact. If you have to change brightness, recheck contrast.

Doug

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 7 Old 06-05-2013, 07:02 PM - Thread Starter

I guess my main question is should I adjust gamma first or last? Also, if the settings interact will I ever get to a point where they'll all be 'correct'.
I don't want to be caught in a setting spiral here haha.
post #4 of 7 Old 06-05-2013, 11:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:

I guess my main question is should I adjust gamma first or last?

In *theory* it shouldn't matter. If the gamma control works "correctly" (haha) it should only effect points inbetween the black level (brightness) and white level (contrast.) In practice, you might need to go through a few iterations.

But recently, I've been informed that I'm just a parrot that doesn't really understand what I'm doing. So, take my advice at your own risk. biggrin.gif

PS: Those gamma response patterns on disks like AVIA and WoW usually aren't very useful ... For example, my old CRT RPTV "measured" 2.2 to 2.4 using the AVIA pattern, but when I put a meter to the beast, it measured anywhere from 2.6 at the dark end to 1.8 between 90% and 100% stimulus. YMMV.
post #5 of 7 Old 06-05-2013, 11:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVChallenged View Post

But recently, I've been informed that I'm just a parrot that doesn't really understand what I'm doing. So, take my advice at your own risk. biggrin.gif

You must have been visiting the calibration forum too often. Those guys are on the Level 4 psych block, we're still only level 3 in here smile.gif

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
-

**Current Projector Calculator** --

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --

post #6 of 7 Old 06-05-2013, 11:38 PM - Thread Starter

Hahaha. Thanks for the help guys smile.gif
post #7 of 7 Old 06-06-2013, 05:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:

I guess my main question is should I adjust gamma first or last? Also, if the settings interact will I ever get to a point where they'll all be 'correct'.
I don't want to be caught in a setting spiral here haha.
As HD said, it should not matter if you do gamma first or last but I would say both. You really need a meter and software to measure gamma to know what you have. Just set you brightness and contrast and the gamma you chose from the pattern disk. Then watch some known content and flip through the gamma choices while watching just to make sure what the you chose with the pattern actually looks good with content. You want to be able to see shadow detail without the black being just all back (crushed) or all washed out and flat. If you decide to change the gamma after the you are all done, at least go back and check brightness and contrast but they should still be good to go.

Doug

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Benq W1080st 1080p 3d Short Throw Dlp Home Theater Projector
Gear in this thread - W1080st by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page