BENQ W1080ST focus problem? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 06-05-2013, 07:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I got this projector recently and have already returned it for an exchange.

The reason: I couldn't get consistent focus across the screen.

If the middle was in focus than the left side wouldn't be, or vice-versa.

I was hoping it was just a bad unit, but now I'm seeing it mentioned by other owners on this forum. Is this a problem everyone is having?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-05-2013, 09:24 PM

I have returned the one I got as well. I didn't find any focus issue, most likely it could be a quality control issue on BenQ side...

The issues I had were 1) the finger print like smear from the inside of the lens, 2) gear chewing fan noise (sound like plastic gears) during the shut-off power down, and 3)random handshake timeout on the second hdmi port (the first hdmi port on the left doesn't have the issue, since I have tried the same devices (PS3/PC/AppleTV) on both ports..)
post #3 of 7 Old 06-05-2013, 11:37 PM - Thread Starter

Sorry to hear that, but good to know my problem isn't a common feature.
post #4 of 7 Old 08-07-2013, 08:25 PM

I just got my w1080st and just like OP, I see serious issues with inconsistent focus and brightness across the screen.
Using the test pattern, you can get to a point where entire screen is some what in focus (not super crisp) and in that mode you wont notice any focus issue while watching movie - due to color and motion.
When I connected my HTPC and opened windows explorer (or browser) with screen full of text on it, I could see all the text blurry. When I tried to focus, I could get either center of the screen OR top left of the screen super crisp - but not both/entire screen. If the top left is crisp then center of the screen is extremely blurry and vice versa.

I have already tried Optoma HD25-LV and returned it the same day due to very dim and non-rectangular image. I have an old Epson 8350 (2+ yrs old) which is unbeatable by any of these latest projectors, except it lacks 3D.

I am planning to get Epson V11H501020 hoping it is as good as 8350 for 2D.
post #5 of 7 Old 11-21-2013, 09:29 PM

Any solution to this issue?? Just purchased this prjector and having a similar concern. I've got a "curved semicircle" at the bottom of my screen that's visibly less in focus than everything else. The corners also feel a bit off focus wise as well.
post #6 of 7 Old 12-05-2013, 03:02 PM

I am noticing the same focus issues, has anyone solved the problem?

post #7 of 7 Old 12-05-2013, 03:36 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 24
To eliminate the uneven focus:

Vidkidd's method for Focusing the 1080ST
  • disable any digital resize or keystone for the projector.
  • Set your Image ZOOM adjustment so that it projects the largest image size.
  • Move your projector to a location that works with your screen size with the new zoom setting. My projector sits about 6' from the wall for a 119" screen.
  • Once in this position, display 3x3.gif or 4.4.gif in the attached calibration images. as a tiled image desktop on your screen from your HTPC or laptop.
  • Different parts of the image have different focusing properties base on how the image is projected through the lens.
  • Once the center of the screen comes into focus, start paying attention to the edges.
  • There is a spot where the last "finicky" corner comes into focus with the rest of the screen. You may need to work back and forth with the focus ring several times to dial it in.

mappingTestPatterns.zip 53k .zip file

I have not been able to find any other method to get the entire screen into focus. The optics appear to blur the image when it is smaller than it's maximum size in a way that cannot be corrected across the image field.

Regarding brightness uniformity... It's a known issue. I can say that at 80 hours the central hotspot is almost gone.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Benq W1080st 1080p 3d Short Throw Dlp Home Theater Projector
Gear in this thread - W1080st by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page